Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cathay trailer was disappointing. (Opinion)

MakuhicoMakuhico Registered Users Posts: 237
After the reveal of Cathay I feel meh.....

Yes meh, I don't think shows anything impressive, the design is generic for Chinese fantasy.

Whit this I mean, is something like I see in other games that reflect Chinese fantasy, it seems bland and too colorful in the Sense that seems even brighter than elves.

The Dragon girl general looks like something pull from world of warcraft and the scenarys remaind me also something pull of the Chinese map of smite.

Nothing special regarding the desing choices, but from the looks it seems a different world that Warhammer.

All the choices made are made consciously and you can see the hand of Chinese censorship all around the board.

I think the game will pass the censorship review and my bet is that it will get well sell in china, not because is that cool just because there is lots of Chinese players that could feel courious about the game.

How ever I felt Cathay plays to safe to make everyone happy ( The Chinese censorship, the Chinese Weiboo people that complain about everything with extra nationalism, the casual fans, the boring PC agenda etc...)

I think Cathay soft treatment ultimately will make them borring, and even the game sells well in the beginning the interest for the Chinese in this faction will decay and DLC sales will be poor.

My interest into buy the game now is very low, I was hoping Cathay was cool but seems meh, i will wait till ogre kingdoms to see if my hipe gets up again.

Comments

• talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,420
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,867
    my only issue is it seems the Order factions seem to get all the love when it comes to reveal quality
  • Domokun84Domokun84 Registered Users Posts: 122
    I don't disagree with all your points, I'm assuming you were looking for more grimdark but got noblebright instead.

I'm waiting until the roster reveal before making final judgement. It's ok but flying tzeenth chosen on discs is what got my attention. Monogods turning out to be amazing if it keeps going in this direction.

• WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,721
    Thanks for the update. I wait with bated breath to discover whether or not you buy TWW3.
    ò_ó
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,758

my only issue is it seems the Order factions seem to get all the love when it comes to reveal quality

nah kairos was full chad this trailer , unlike some khorne trash
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • MakuhicoMakuhico Registered Users Posts: 237
    Warlocke said:

Thanks for the update. I wait with bated breath to discover whether or not you buy TWW3.

I will buy, it but not preorder, I will wait until is in discount or the mortal empires is out. 😪

Sorry for the spoilers.
  • Docpain222Docpain222 Registered Users Posts: 313
    I get some of your points.... but also I don't know what would stop the censorship from disapproving of the game even if they went with the jade vampire or monkey King approach. They pretty much just censor anything against the government which I don't really see being an issue in wh3.
  • Total War Fan #2Total War Fan #2 Registered Users Posts: 1,518
    I think the problem is that it looks like Cathay came from another game.
    It doesn't exactly feel like GW's Warhammer.
    You could take Miao Ying and put her in some generic chinese fantasy mmo and she wouldn't look out of place.

Meanwhile Bretonnia, Greenskins, Chaos, etc. have that very clear Warhammer aesthetic that makes them look like something out of a Heavy Metal magazine. Warhammer's greenskins for example look very distinct from Warcraft's orcs.

I guess I was expecting a bit more on the likes of pic related

• y4g3ry4g3r Registered Users Posts: 504
    Makuhico said:

Warlocke said:

I will buy, it but not preorder, I will wait until is in discount or the mortal empires is out. 😪

Sorry for the spoilers.
    You should never preorder. It and lootboxes are two of the pillars of the bad games industry standards.

I get some of your points.... but also I don't know what would stop the censorship from disapproving of the game even if they went with the jade vampire or monkey King approach. They pretty much just censor anything against the government which I don't really see being an issue in wh3.

Chinese government didn't approve shang-chi in theaters because people in china though actors are too ugly, and the original of fu-man chu even no fumanchu in the movie 😂

The could ban the game for any random reason if they feel Chinese is portrait as weak, chatay will be a strong army guarantee!

Thry normally ban horror gosht flicks here....the Jade vampire never was an option.

• Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,718
    I agree it needs more of that warhammer grim dark, but that look also vanished from the GW studio with the old generation of games designers, its been conspicuously absent since late 7e. For what were able to get in this day and age, I'd say CA has done a damn fine job.

You could take Miao Ying and put her in some generic chinese fantasy mmo and she wouldn't look out of place.

Meanwhile Bretonnia, Greenskins, Chaos, etc. have that very clear Warhammer aesthetic that makes them look like something out of a Heavy Metal magazine. Warhammer's greenskins for example look very distinct from Warcraft's orcs.

Yeah something like this, I'm glad some people like it but for me was disappointing, didn't feel i was looking at Warhammer trailer.....
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,350
    Censorship? What? Have I missed something?
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    No one had to great of an idea what Cathay was going to look like. Expectations there were largely people's own whimsy.
  • BrakierBrakier Registered Users Posts: 1,756
    i think lantern ships is genius idea that really works in the warhammer astetic. i think they did a good job with cathay. but i respect your opinion is diffrent.
  • IoriYamadaIoriYamada WalesRegistered Users Posts: 792

That pic is out of date. If GW had done an Empire pic in that style I don't think CA would have accepted it. It looks a bit eighties fantasy for a modern game. Thinking about it that model does share some similarities with the concept art.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,795
    I rather think the high fantasy elements were very tastefully toned down. When it comes to the LLs though as seen in the trailer and on pieces of art they don't look toned down at all. They rather look a bit outlandish even in comparison to their own race when in human form.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • ASyrianASyrian Registered Users Posts: 936
    Thats the problem with opinions.
    Everyone can make one up no matter how many self cheating it takes.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,021
    I have strongly mixed feelings. The very trailer was great, but it felt like something straight out of Netflix. I were hoping, expecting, desiring the Dragon Emperor, but what I got was his daughter. Then I have learned that there is a son too. It's like wanting Vegeta but getting Bulla and Trunks.

I don't really mind that they are playable, but for the love of all that is draconic, give me the overdragon himself!
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 7,406

I have strongly mixed feelings. The very trailer was great, but it felt like something straight out of Netflix. I were hoping, expecting, desiring the Dragon Emperor, but what I got was his daughter. Then I have learned that there is a son too. It's like wanting Vegeta but getting Bulla and Trunks.

I don't really mind that they are playable, but for the love of all that is draconic, give me the overdragon himself!

There is only one solution, we shall have a very talented modder mod The Dragon Emperor hisself into the game as the LL to end all LL´s(with mechanics, voicelines, animations and the whole shebang)

Heck i´d pay for that if probably made

"Yum Yum Ariel stew"

Supreme Matriarch Of Nan-Gau...

Master Of The Storm Winds...

Daughter Of The Dragon Emperor!
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 969
    I don't know dude this "generic fantasy China" argument feels like getting upset at Troy for featuring classic Greek mythology fantastical creatures. Even the little we knew about old Cathay was full on "take Chinese mythology elements and give them a Warhammer-themed explanation" save for a handful of details.

They look distinct from the other armies and have visually striking designs befitting their themes. What were you hoping for? And how do you think the army would have looked if not for "Chinese censorship"?
  • NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Registered Users Posts: 1,284
    I agree. It was cool and all but didn’t getting me hyped really.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,875

Yeah, except Vegeta is an ACTUAL character, with an established personality, that one could be drawn towards or dislike.

Like, I GET the argument that some people are disappointed with some of the new Marvel Replacement characters for example...they don't want Nu-Ironman/Thor/Captain America...they were drawn more to the originals as characters and don't want to see the role filled by someone who can't properly fill those old shoes.

The problem is....the Dragon Emperor had ZERO established character traits to be drawn to in the first place. He had no personality or feats or anything to be worth 'looking forward to'. Even his newly canon OP power level was not previously clarified.

Literally, CA/GW could have said that the Iron/Storm Dragon children ARE/WERE the Dragon Emperor/Moon Empress, and you would NOT have known the difference.

You only know the Dragon Emperor is missing literally because CA said they're missing. But if they didn't say he was missing, you wouldn't have known.

All you knew/wanted/got, was a powerful state ruler who could turn into a dragon. You have that. You actually have MORE THAN ONE. If anything, this is BETTER for you than getting JUST the Dragon Emperor.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 29,986

I agree it needs more of that warhammer grim dark, but that look also vanished from the GW studio with the old generation of games designers, its been conspicuously absent since late 7e. For what were able to get in this day and age, I'd say CA has done a damn fine job.

I am currently painting a machine that tortures it's occupant in an armoured sarcophagus that's thrown against the enemy. Called a Mortifier.

AoS I agree, but 40k is as dark as ever.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,350

I am currently painting a machine that tortures it's occupant in an armoured sarcophagus that's thrown against the enemy. Called a Mortifier.

AoS I agree, but 40k is as dark as ever.
    AOS?

The entire race of the Idoneth?

• Fan3982173917524862Fan3982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,547
    They look too clean. Pretty much HE version of men, with the dragon and magic motifs and gunpowder instead of archery.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,021
    Reeks said:

There is only one solution, we shall have a very talented modder mod The Dragon Emperor hisself into the game as the LL to end all LL´s(with mechanics, voicelines, animations and the whole shebang)

It won't ever be the same. But ultimately it's not the end of the world. Technically, because the world has already ended, but also because I will probably warm up to these wyrmlings.
    Valkaar said:

Yeah, except Vegeta is an ACTUAL character, with an established personality, that one could be drawn towards or dislike.

Like, I GET the argument that some people are disappointed with some of the new Marvel Replacement characters for example...they don't want Nu-Ironman/Thor/Captain America...they were drawn more to the originals as characters and don't want to see the role filled by someone who can't properly fill those old shoes.

The problem is....the Dragon Emperor had ZERO established character traits to be drawn to in the first place. He had no personality or feats or anything to be worth 'looking forward to'. Even his newly canon OP power level was not previously clarified.

Literally, CA/GW could have said that the Iron/Storm Dragon children ARE/WERE the Dragon Emperor/Moon Empress, and you would NOT have known the difference.

You only know the Dragon Emperor is missing literally because CA said they're missing. But if they didn't say he was missing, you wouldn't have known.

All you knew/wanted/got, was a powerful state ruler who could turn into a dragon. You have that. You actually have MORE THAN ONE. If anything, this is BETTER for you than getting JUST the Dragon Emperor.
    I know better what I wanted.

I wanted the Dragon Emperor. It's the idea that matters. The power, the gravitas and the gravity his character embodies.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 7,406

Reeks said:

It won't ever be the same. But ultimately it's not the end of the world. Technically, because the world has already ended, but also because I will probably warm up to these wyrmlings.
    Valkaar said:

I wanted the Dragon Emperor. It's the idea that matters. The power, the gravitas and the gravity his character embodies.
    Lets hope your heart will shine bright in response to Miao Ying, Supreme Matriarch Of Nan-Gao, Master Of The Storm Winds

Honestly she and her brother can always only play second fiddle to the true Grand Cathay ruler, the one who should have been the LL to rule them all
    The Dragon Emperor hisself

Time shall mend our broken hearts

I hope

"Yum Yum Ariel stew"

Supreme Matriarch Of Nan-Gau...

Master Of The Storm Winds...

edited September 15
    Duplicate post. Can be deleted.
    Post edited by Valkaar on

Reeks said:

Valkaar said:

Yes, except the Children have ALL of the gravitas, power, and gravity of the Dragon Emperor as far as you knew.

This whole new "Dragon Emperor is literally godlike power thing" is a BRAND new piece of information. You didn't know that before/didn't want that before/weren't hoping for that.

You were hoping for LL level power/gravitas.

Which we got.