Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tww 3: Cathay Generic Characters

vegenervegener Registered Users Posts: 62
Now that we know that the two legendary lords of the Cathay faction I wonder what are the generic characters that we will receive.

Based on the two heroes that were seen in the Cathay trailer, I suppose that we will receive a melee character and a sorcerer who will have access to the new lore of magic that was shown.

although I think we will receive a second knowledge of magic because in the reddit forums they also talk about wind magic apart from that I wonder if the sorcerer lord could also transform into a dragon.

Comments

• JoelethJoeleth Registered Users Posts: 115
    I think so far we've seen wind mages and alchemists mentioned.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,418
    there better be melee generals as well or riot
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 4,815
    We've seen both types of mages, and 2 melee type character, one male, one female for both
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    I think we’ll have 2 magic heroes, the metal mage and the wind mage. I have a post with all the units we’ve seen, and there seems to be a caster lord wearing armour with horns.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

• cat59cat59 Registered Users Posts: 482
    There's the Alchemist, which is presumably the lady in the lantern ship in the trailer, and the Astromancer, which was the lady on the ground. They also have at least one unique lore of magic directly stated, being the lore of Yin and Yang, which might be one combined lore, or two separate lores, so if there is also a wind-based lore of magic like the one Kislev is getting, then that makes two or three for Cathay. The blogpost also makes mention of Dragon Sorcerers, so that's another hero type, if not a lord type.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 4,815

I think we’ll have 2 magic heroes, the metal mage and the wind mage. I have a post with all the units we’ve seen, and there seems to be a caster lord wearing armour with horns.

The masked lady is the earth bender mage !

However, the horned lady is seen on a heavy-barded horse in the banner, so I think she'll be a melee lord !
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
  • hastur_not_y_kinghastur_not_y_king Registered Users Posts: 48
    We have Astrologer and Alchemist. ATM, I have no idea what this means, so I could only guess.

First of all, real-life astrologers focus on observing the heavens and alchemists on manipulating earthly materials. This ties into what we know about Cathay magic: Harmony.

Implications. Astrology magic probably has a focus on Wind of Heaven. I really can't think of anything else, really. Alchemy magic, asides from the more explosive side of their art, probably focuses on Wind of Metal.

That is, if their magic system follows the color magic system at all. With all this new info pouring in, it is getting more and more likely Cathay will have its own magic system that covers a variety of unpredictable functions.
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Maelas said:

The masked lady is the earth bender mage !

However, the horned lady is seen on a heavy-barded horse in the banner, so I think she'll be a melee lord !
    The masked lady seems to be using metal, not earth, and therefore she’s probably the alchemist hero that has been floating around. The one with horns has a dragon and a yin-yang symbol on her cloak, and we know Cathay has dragon blooded sorcerers who cast using yin and yang, so that fits them.

Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

• BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 1,052
    I think the Alchemists magic is more calligraphic than earth magic, the tendrils look like ink which I like.

Excited to see more about both mages!
  • cat59cat59 Registered Users Posts: 482

I think the Alchemists magic is more calligraphic than earth magic, the tendrils look like ink which I like.

I mean yeah, my first thought when seeing that was that it looked like ribbons, or strokes of ink, I suppose. Still, not sure if that was the Alchemist or Astromancer. When I think of Alchemist, and specifically mounts for one, my mind logically goes to the lantern ship with all the cannons and rifles and such.
  • Omega_WarriorOmega_Warrior Registered Users Posts: 1,191

I believe those were meant to be like veins of metal, like how you would find them in the ground.