Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tzeentch and Cathay are THE factions of WH3.

ThomassiniThomassini Registered Users Posts: 1,151
edited September 15 in General Discussion
So yeah I know one trailer is too soon to draw any conclusions, but with Tzeentch they really hit the right note. I love the damn birb, Khorne can't really play in THIS league.

Aesthetically they just NAILED Cathay, full stop. Avataresque (or Hunanesque) floating mountains was a BRILLIANT choice and I can't wait to see the campaign map and cities of Cathay. I was really afraid of them going into "insert your stereotypical Chinese mobile game" design route, but yeah it was totally unfounded. Hope to see many more Chinese mythological creatures, from temple dogs and qirins to walking turtle fortresses. I think it is now a justified bet we'll see a lot of them.

The bottom line is that both races blow Kislev and Khorne to smithereens. It's really no competition. With Khorne of course there has always been a caveat of him being originally a one-trick-pony. Kislev though... Those of you who regularly follow the forums know that I didn't really like Kislev in it's current implementation. Well now you can see why - it looks so uninspired compared to Cathayans and a lot of ice ice ice being repeated all over bears bears bears.
Tagged:

Comments

• 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 2,057
    I think Cathay do look to win out in the variety stakes when compared to Kislev, I think that's a fair point.

I'm still really excited to play Kislev, but they could do with a bit more polish (no pun intended) and some relatively easy tweaks:
    • Brown bears reintroduced for lower tier bear cav and war beast role, White bears reserved for higher tier / Sons of Ursun
    • Remove bears for Ice Witches (differentiate their mount options to the Great Orthodoxy)
    • Differentiate Tzar Guard and Armored Kossars properly, not just with capes.
    • Maybe take a second look at the Ice FX on the sleds

Bohemond for game 3 please!

• Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,030
    I actually got the feeling we won't see many magical creatures for Cathay, the fact we only saw the Chinese pegasus' in the trailer and all the screen shots show human units makes me think its going to be a very human centric roster.
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 1,488
    It is easy to look "inspired" when you get a bigger slice of the pie than any other race seen so far. Cathay does not look good soley because of what they are but because CA spent time and money on them that others were denied. Make Cathay with the budget and restraints clearly imposed on Kislev and the end result would not match what we have seen so far.
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,240
    Shame they couldn't make the rank and file of Tzeentch look unique then.
  • HondlisHondlis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    KN_Gars said:

It is easy to look "inspired" when you get a bigger slice of the pie than any other race seen so far. Cathay does not look good soley because of what they are but because CA spent time and money on them that others were denied. Make Cathay with the budget and restraints clearly imposed on Kislev and the end result would not match what we have seen so far.

Which on the other hand is not bad at all. As i said elsewhere, Skaven got like 1/3 of LM budget and look where both races are now.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Hondlis said:

KN_Gars said:

Which on the other hand is not bad at all. As i said elsewhere, Skaven got like 1/3 of LM budget and look where both races are now.
    LM are dull and Skaven are not?
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 944
    The biggest thing I’ll disagree with is the derpy floating islands. That’s AoS “nothing has to make sense” lunacy that was not very prominent in WFB originally. It was a much more grounded setting.

Not excited that AoS creators are now going back and making the classic setting more like AoS. But they had already done that with Kislev, so it should have been expected
  • cat59cat59 Registered Users Posts: 482

The biggest thing I’ll disagree with is the derpy floating islands. That’s AoS “nothing has to make sense” lunacy that was not very prominent in WFB originally. It was a much more grounded setting.

Not excited that AoS creators are now going back and making the classic setting more like AoS. But they had already done that with Kislev, so it should have been expected

And the magical floating toilet bowl in the center of the ocean makes sense, with it floating on top of the water, and there being fully underground palaces in Cothique still, and worldroot connections to the Gaean Vale from Athel Loren, but the Skaven can't tunnel there because there's no ground connecting it to the seabed?
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 1,488
    Hondlis said:

KN_Gars said:

Skaven did not get 1/3 of the LM budget and the improvements added by the Skaven DLCs were due to them being Skaven and CA's favourites, not because they had less budget/attention at launch. Cathay is Skaven 2.0 from the start, indeed the situation is worse because the Skaven ended up as they did because the DLC team found them inspiration to work with. Cathay on the other hand is clearly getting preferential treatment as a matter of company policy in order to maximise sales in China. That it in itself is not unexpect or automaticlly bad, what makes it bad is that it is clearly done at the expense of the other races. Witness the ongoing discussion about the Warriors of Tzeentch or make a comparison between the effort put into Cathay and the effort put into Kislev.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 7,282
    Grand Cathay looks amazing indeed, and they shall probably rate amongst the most played of the game 3 faction(both for me and others) i look forward to them a lot(even though i shall not get to play the Ruler himself, The Dragon Emperor/sadface)

But i´m not ready to claim that they or anyone else are THE faction just yet, we still have stuff to come

"Yum Yum Ariel stew"

Supreme Matriarch Of Nan-Gau...

Master Of The Storm Winds...

Daughter Of The Dragon Emperor!
  • peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 1,398
    Tzeentch
    Cathay
    Khorne
    Kislev

In that order, maybe swap 2 and 3? to early to definitively say.