Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Dawn of Grand Cathay + FAQ

123457»

Comments

• PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 2,799

makar55 said:

Only 50k views in 2 hours?

Seems to be a bit disappointing numbers for so called the most anticipated TWW3 race.

Wait till the China wakes up proper.
    But no one cares about a Warhammer without Space Marines.
    No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,005

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

Just to clarify a discussion point in here from the FAQ.

I'm certainly NOT suggesting the Celestial Dragon Emperor is on a power level equal to the Chaos Gods. But he and his wife are extremely powerful and comparable to most regional gods of the world, such as Ulric or Myrmidia for example.

This is what I assumed. The Dragon Emperor, being a being from before the Old Ones arrived, would be on-par with Krakanrok, Kholek's daddy. And he's way too massive and powerful to be a playable character. That is why we play his son Kholek.

Also loved the trailer! But then I am a sucker for playable dragon characters.
    That shouldn't be a problem. Star Dragons predate the Old Ones arrival and they are playable. In terms of gameplay, the Dragon Emperor could be Dread Saurian sized, or maybe a little bigger.
  • Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 403

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

I'm certainly NOT suggesting the Celestial Dragon Emperor is on a power level equal to the Chaos Gods. But he and his wife are extremely powerful and comparable to most regional gods of the world, such as Ulric or Myrmidia for example.

This is what I assumed. The Dragon Emperor, being a being from before the Old Ones arrived, would be on-par with Krakanrok, Kholek's daddy. And he's way too massive and powerful to be a playable character. That is why we play his son Kholek.

That shouldn't be a problem. Star Dragons predate the Old Ones arrival and they are playable. In terms of gameplay, the Dragon Emperor could be Dread Saurian sized, or maybe a little bigger.
    Star Dragons aren’t even the biggest dragons that have had rules in WFB - that’s Emperor Dragons (which is the level they start casting spells).

For reference Star Dragons had mostly 7s in their statline (out of 10), Emperor Dragons had mostly 9s.

And the oldest dragons (and dragon ogres) are larger still. Kalaganos’s spine forms a mountain range. Draugnir is similarly old so probably similarly large. The oldest Dragon Ogre is the size of a mountain.

The IDE as a minimum would be above the level of an Emperor Dragon (already barely playable), if he is Draugnir/Kalaganos level he’d be absolutely unplayable.
  • BrakierBrakier Registered Users Posts: 1,756

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

he is probly to large to use in a battle.
  • agrobioagrobio Registered Users Posts: 169
    saweendra said:

jamreal18 said:

saweendra said:

jamreal18 said:

Bies said:

The Change is here!

Do Horrors in-game look like that?
    kind of
    Picture please!
    it has the basic shape and probably the 4 arms

this BLUE HORRORS LOOKS LIKE SQUIGS , DONT LOOK LIKE THE MINIATURES , THEY NEED MORE FACE VARIANTS
    edited September 15

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

Star Dragons aren’t even the biggest dragons that have had rules in WFB - that’s Emperor Dragons (which is the level they start casting spells).

For reference Star Dragons had mostly 7s in their statline (out of 10), Emperor Dragons had mostly 9s.

And the oldest dragons (and dragon ogres) are larger still. Kalaganos’s spine forms a mountain range. Draugnir is similarly old so probably similarly large. The oldest Dragon Ogre is the size of a mountain.

The IDE as a minimum would be above the level of an Emperor Dragon (already barely playable), if he is Draugnir/Kalaganos level he’d be absolutely unplayable.
    Technically, the greatest of Star Dragons are Emperor Dragons. And I want one playable, a hero would do fine.

In legends It's Draugnir whose body was turned into Ulthuan:

Kalgalanos was/is huge, but not as big as a mountain:

The largest Dragon depiction that is not a legend or a presence in the dreamspace would be Omdra:

Speaking about the dreamspace, that's where Imrik saw the largest of Dragons, and maybe, possibly, Dracothion himself:

Days of glory where cycles of the universe were but the blink of an eye. Voyages between the stars, where a dragon’s wings could carry it to distant suns with a single beat. Imrik saw fierce battles fought between rival dragons that snuffed out worlds and birthed them anew in the fires of their great wars. It was an age undreamed and unknown, a secret history known only to dragonkind, and told to him now by the mightiest of dragons.
    Imrik found himself face to face with a vast eye. It was the size of a star, and he a mote in its eye, yet still it saw him. All that had been lost in his endless wanderings was remade by the music of the oldest dragons. They sang songs unknown to the elves and younger dragons, and bore Imrik up through the white heat of their dreamings, where no mortal was ever meant to venture.

Brakier said:

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

It's a matter of scale! Hee hee

Kholek should be a lot bigger than he is in the game. The Dragom Emperor, as I have previously said, could be as big or bigger than the Dread Saurian.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 13,069
    edited September 15

Brakier said:

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

Kholek should be a lot bigger than he is in the game. The Dragom Emperor, as I have previously said, could be as big or bigger than the Dread Saurian.
    There is also one step above. With the likes of Amanar and Krakanrok the Black, who is as large as a mountain. They too are off the scale of a normal campaign game.

But I think the main reason for why the Dragon Emperor doesn't descend might be something simpler. Say, how the dragons were driven to slumber because of the Old Ones shifting the world closer to the sun? Perhaps they are in those high altitudes, where I presume it's colder than on the planet, because the old pair would just fall asleep in the new climate, while their kids are still lively enough to keep awake.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

edited September 15
    Crossil said:

Brakier said:

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

There is also one step above. With the likes of Amanar and Krakanrok the Black, who is as large as a mountain. They too are off the scale of a normal campaign game.

But I think the main reason for why the Dragon Emperor doesn't descend might be something simpler. Say, how the dragons were driven to slumber because of the Old Ones shifting the world closer to the sun? Perhaps they are in those high altitudes, where I presume it's colder than on the planet, because the old pair would just fall asleep in the new climate, while their kids are still lively enough to keep awake.
    Yes, good examples.

I too think it might be the reason, but then GW could have written it differently. Ultimately, the Dragon Emperor won't be playable because they have decided so.

That being said, I do like the idea of him slumbering, and I weep for the LP that won't ever be.
  • StoreslemStoreslem Registered Users Posts: 339
    the Moon Empress looks like a default dark elf lord
  • hastur_not_y_kinghastur_not_y_king Registered Users Posts: 48
    Storeslem said:

the Moon Empress looks like a default dark elf lord

The Moon Empress did not show up. But yes, the Dragon Princess does look like a default dark elf lord.
  • MasterSayo01MasterSayo01 Registered Users Posts: 437
    dge1 said:

Love the promo video! Might drag me back to playing some more Warhammer. Depends on the information about the game posted over the next few months.

The Grand Cathay faction looks awesome in this video! ;)

They have air balloons with cannons, artillery, giant guards and even humans who transform into dragon(s). :o

So, what can we expect how it looks this in the game of Warhammer 3? :*

We shall see.. :)
  • BrakierBrakier Registered Users Posts: 1,756
    cathay looks great.

tho rember to not release anything half arsed, the first impression is super important for a game, and for this game wich is a trilogy, even more so to push the sales of warhammer 1 and 2. if you need further delay, then do so, dont get into the same situation as many other studios have where they lose all the good pr they workt so hard to gain.
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,963
    edited September 16
    Cathay looks better than what I expected. I like this cathay units and playstyle. I just missing warhammer version of Cao Cao as Cathay legendary lord. :D

Tzeentch deamons and Kairos Fateweaver looks really good in trailer. Also, I like idea to have Tzeentch Warriors on Discs of Tzeentch.

I'm just disappointed with model of Tzeentch Warriors. I wish that CA put more effort in mortal part of chaos gods rosters. Many mortal chaos gods units can be something more unique than just cheap copy and paste of old Warriors of Chaos models with different colors.
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
    @CA_Andy

Are 'Miao Ying' and 'Zhao Ming' the dragon siblings true names, or merely Cathayanese aliases?
  • steam_163135713382gsXFcdRsteam_163135713382gsXFcdR Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    One thing that made me chuckle is when the dragon princess after all her boasting and bragging proclaims "I am the ruler of the Northern Provinces!"

That sounds so... unimpressive. It's like someone saying "I am the god emperor! I am the mightiest of all! I am the ruler of... the fourth district of northwestern South Dakota!!! (but only from 1st to 4th street)"
    @CA_Andy

One more question, are the Cathayanese Dragons considered to be true dragons or are they distant relatives, like the Sea Dragons and the Shard Dragons?
  • hastur_not_y_kinghastur_not_y_king Registered Users Posts: 48

One thing that made me chuckle is when the dragon princess after all her boasting and bragging proclaims "I am the ruler of the Northern Provinces!"

That sounds so... unimpressive. It's like someone saying "I am the god emperor! I am the mightiest of all! I am the ruler of... the fourth district of northwestern South Dakota!!! (but only from 1st to 4th street)"

CA could have gone for "Lady in the North"?
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,364
    The choose to not make the dragon emperor and his wife playable seems reasonable.
    Tayvar said:

The choose to not make the dragon emperor and his wife playable seems reasonable.

• talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,418
    edited September 17

Looking back at the old trailers, most of the other protagonists in their respective trailers did pretty much the same
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,601

In the context of Cathay this is probably such a big deal, but I guess we’ll find out in the lore q&a
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

• BlacksphemyBlacksphemy Registered Users Posts: 623

Unless the northern provinces are the size of say half the Empire. Hard to say until we see an actual map. May be more like "I am the ruler of Texas"
  • NymuraxNymurax Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 93

Don't know how you put a quarter of China on the same level as a district in one of the smaller state/province in the US. A more accurate comparison would be everything from Oregon to Delaware up to the border.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,795
    Despite the dreaded beast Debacala rearing it’s ugly head I am looking forward to the reveals coming this coming week.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • IoriYamadaIoriYamada WalesRegistered Users Posts: 792
    Cathay certainly has some advantages:

• PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 2,799

Not even Imrik can fix Dragon Princes.
    No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.

That's definitely not how you go about Dragon Princing. Judging by the colours, the poor Elf went mad after visiting Lothern.
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,424
    Cathay looks great! I'm seriously impressed with what GW and CA have done for the faction. The trailer was visibly beautiful and I like the idea of the LLs being the Dragon Emperor's children, vying for power.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Currently eagerly awaiting the Ogre Kingdoms!