Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Full Nippon Army Roster Concept, with unit listing and art

Comments

• Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,854
    Jon_Slow said:

Before listing the roster per se, my overall thoughts is Nippon would be better represented as and "evil" imperialistic faction, due to the fact that Japanese fantastical creatures (at least the ones I chose) are simply too dark to be coexisting with regular humans, it wouldn't fit. As a parallel, Cathay would be game III High Elves and Nippon the Druchii.

Jote191 said:

I definitely agree with Nippon being an imperialist bad guy faction that is not Chaos aligned.

Xenos7777 said:

good idea. A "dark Japan" faction would be cool.

Jote191 said:

I definitely agree with Nippon being an imperialist bad guy faction that is not Chaos aligned.

This will be like the fifth thread i'll post the same: Make Nippon as a lawful evil race ;)

Btw, OP, you forgot Kirins, Kitsunes, and a Geisha Lord (Caster, with a Lore of Bushido).
    In lore, Nippon is a good race, like Cathay.
    "Not much is known of the relationship between Cathay and the island nation of Nippon to the east, although it is also described as an ordered civilisation."
    - Warhammer Armies: Battle Bestiary (2nd Edition), pg. 22
  • arthadawarthadaw Registered Users Posts: 1,096

Jon_Slow said:

Before listing the roster per se, my overall thoughts is Nippon would be better represented as and "evil" imperialistic faction, due to the fact that Japanese fantastical creatures (at least the ones I chose) are simply too dark to be coexisting with regular humans, it wouldn't fit. As a parallel, Cathay would be game III High Elves and Nippon the Druchii.

Jote191 said:

Xenos7777 said:

Jote191 said:

This will be like the fifth thread i'll post the same: Make Nippon as a lawful evil race ;)

Btw, OP, you forgot Kirins, Kitsunes, and a Geisha Lord (Caster, with a Lore of Bushido).
    "Not much is known of the relationship between Cathay and the island nation of Nippon to the east, although it is also described as an ordered civilisation."
    As much as I consider Nippon, as a race, to be Neutral/Good, you can be a Chaos/Evil and still be ordered, like the Chaos Dwarf are not as Chaotic (order wise) as much of the other Chaos faction
  • Jon_SlowJon_Slow Registered Users Posts: 11
    Ferestor said:

Nice list good work.

I would like to ad the Kitsune. Either as Heros, as herald of Inari or as monsterous units.

You can even have a pack (like salamander) and a single monster with more tails (like ancient salamander)

After Cathay roster reveal ( no pandas thankfully ), my personal opinion is trending towards dismissing a kitsune representation in Warhammer. It would be too "pokemonish"
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 1,612

Jon_Slow said:

Jote191 said:

Xenos7777 said:

Jote191 said:

Yeah that sounds so basic. I want a more bad guy Nippon with a focus on raiding Cathay and a Civil War between the clans, but they still have a very deep sense of honor.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,873
    Krunch said:

Yeah I see nippon as a race more focused on traditions. Like a eastern brittonia. I feel like it would make them feel more unique if they avoided gunpowder altogether.

Eastern Bretonnia would be bad for several reasons. For one, it would be bad because it just makes them unoriginal. Secondly, it's just a boring stereotype to see Samurai as these ultra traditionalists, when in reality they took quite nicely to the Gun. Gunpowder is an important part of Japanese Warfare, and it would be a shame not to see it.

Also OP, I'd much rather see Nippon as a neutral faction like any human faction. I could definitely see an evil subfaction, perhaps a bit more trending towards evil for everyone since it would probably be set in its own little Sengoku era with lots of bloodshed and backstabbery of its own, but the race shouldn't be super uber evil IMO.
    I agree with this post entirely. I also think a Kitsune hero and 9 tailed foxes as a war lion type unit are a no brainer.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • Man2008kindMan2008kind Bucharest, RomaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,854
    Jote191 said:

Jon_Slow said:

Jote191 said:

Xenos7777 said:

Jote191 said:

Yeah that sounds so basic. I want a more bad guy Nippon with a focus on raiding Cathay and a Civil War between the clans, but they still have a very deep sense of honor.
    Game 3 already is evil races galore (Monogods, CD, OK, Hobgoblins, Khuresh(if they come)), we need more good guys.
  • LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 4,658
    I mean I kinda against the more evil direction nippon should take, i mean we have the chaos, cd, (ogre are neutral but still) and propaly hobo.

A other civilize good guy would be nice, and they still could be rivals to cathay,.

Jote191 said:

Jon_Slow said:

Jote191 said:

Xenos7777 said:

Jote191 said:

Game 3 already is evil races galore (Monogods, CD, OK, Hobgoblins, Khuresh(if they come)), we need more good guys.
    Nahhhhhh Nippon should be out trying to expand their Empire not make friends with Cathay and Ind. Also when I say bad guy race I don't mean something pure evil like Skaven or Chaos Dwarfs. I mean something like the Fire Nation from Avatar. Brutal imperialists with honor. It fits Japanese history really well.
  • GhorghonMasterGhorghonMaster Registered Users Posts: 6
    I love this proposal except I want kitsunes and onis to be the leaders of Nippon. If fantasy of NoJapan is diminished it could be seen as insulting because being portrayed as a poor nation without even a half of the unparalled magic majesty of Cathay. I see all three east nations of Ind, Nippon and Cathay to need similar structure with monsters commanding human civilizations.

Jote191 said:

Jon_Slow said:

Jote191 said:

Xenos7777 said:

Jote191 said:

Also certain units would make more sense this way. Stuff like Oni are known to eat human villagers and are associated with demons. It would be like Bretonnia using Trolls in their army. Now make Nippon a bit more bad and it'll fit in perfectly with them.
    Jote191 said:

Jote191 said:

Jon_Slow said:

Jote191 said:

Xenos7777 said:

Jote191 said:

Nahhhhhh Nippon should be out trying to expand their Empire not make friends with Cathay and Ind. Also when I say bad guy race I don't mean something pure evil like Skaven or Chaos Dwarfs. I mean something like the Fire Nation from Avatar. Brutal imperialists with honor. It fits Japanese history really well.
    I couldn't agree more, a pragmatic lawful evil nation, that even resort to using yokai in their armies, contrasting with the (probably) lawful good / neutral good Cathay
  • MonerisMoneris Registered Users Posts: 313
    I think Nippon should have some degree of Gunpowder technology. They have a fleet that contests with Gunpowder using nations afterall.

Ind should be the nation that goes knee deep into myth. Monstrous infantry, Beastmen, unique magic, low tech and teaming with divine figures and mythical monsters.

• SerkeletSerkelet Member Registered Users Posts: 683
    On Nippon alignment, I give an easy and interesting solution.

Make the game start in the midst of a struggle for the Shogunate. One (or two) clan is order aligned, and another (or two) are corrupted by Chaos. Voilà! Nipponese alignment depends on who seizes the Shogunate.
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,270
    I also think that nippon should be a darker counterpart of Cathay. However, I don't think they should be a destructive faction. I think they should be a faction of order that for X or Y reasons had to delve deeply into daemonology and in the end discovered a way to enslave lesser demons and fuse them with their weapons and armor.

For example, they could raise the possibility that when the Cathayan astromancers conjured a meteorite from the sky to destroy the ogres they accidentally caused a large fragment of warpstone to enter the planet's atmosphere and fall into Nippon, thereby causing the creation of the yokais (beasts and humans mutated by the warpstone) and causing the inhabitants to have to develop daemonology and learn to enslave daemons in order to survive.
    brago90 said:

I also think that nippon should be a darker counterpart of Cathay. However, I don't think they should be a destructive faction. I think they should be a faction of order that for X or Y reasons had to delve deeply into daemonology and in the end discovered a way to enslave lesser demons and fuse them with their weapons and armor.

For example, they could raise the possibility that when the Cathayan astromancers conjured a meteorite from the sky to destroy the ogres they accidentally caused a large fragment of warpstone to enter the planet's atmosphere and fall into Nippon, thereby causing the creation of the yokais (beasts and humans mutated by the warpstone) and causing the inhabitants to have to develop daemonology and learn to enslave daemons in order to survive.

That's a really cool idea
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 2,910
    Jon_Slow said:

jamreal18 said:

Jote191 said:

Wonder why it is fine to have Japan as antagonist but not Araby. Their religion is so sensitive.

I don't think GW or CA would dare threading in this direction with Nippon either, although it would be cool as hell. Such a pity.

Warhammer is sort of like D&D meets british satire, so i don't think kamikaze units are too offensive.
    The Ogres are coming to get ya!

Proud DC/Marvel/Vertigo comics fan.

Grimdark is overrated.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 901
    Nice roster, I think as CA has already worked on Shogun 1 and Shogun 2, they should have plenty of experience working on Japanese culture. It's also difficult to go wrong with Samurai and Ninjas so I think CA should keep the standard mix of historical and fantasy for Warhammer human factions.

So Samurai, Ashigaru, Warrior Monks, Ninjas, etc with some gunpowder units for the historical side and the fantasy side can be Japanese mythological creatures, literal Sword Saints (can block/deflect bullets), Samurai warriors piloting construct 'mech' units like Sehenesmet is, etc. There is plenty of ideas that could be implemented.
  • LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 4,658

Nice roster, I think as CA has already worked on Shogun 1 and Shogun 2, they should have plenty of experience working on Japanese culture. It's also difficult to go wrong with Samurai and Ninjas so I think CA should keep the standard mix of historical and fantasy for Warhammer human factions.

So Samurai, Ashigaru, Warrior Monks, Ninjas, etc with some gunpowder units for the historical side and the fantasy side can be Japanese mythological creatures, literal Sword Saints (can block/deflect bullets), Samurai warriors piloting construct 'mech' units like Sehenesmet is, etc. There is plenty of ideas that could be implemented.

Kaiju wow unit!

Jon_Slow said:

jamreal18 said:

Jote191 said:

Wonder why it is fine to have Japan as antagonist but not Araby. Their religion is so sensitive.

I don't think GW or CA would dare threading in this direction with Nippon either, although it would be cool as hell. Such a pity.

Warhammer is sort of like D&D meets british satire, so i don't think kamikaze units are too offensive.
    Nahhh it's pretty tasteless and doesn't make any sense once you understand the meaning behind Kamikaze
    Serkelet said:

On Nippon alignment, I give an easy and interesting solution.

Make the game start in the midst of a struggle for the Shogunate. One (or two) clan is order aligned, and another (or two) are corrupted by Chaos. Voilà! Nipponese alignment depends on who seizes the Shogunate.

I agree, if we are considering Nippon as DLC race pack (each day more likely), and analyze the previous DLCs released by CA, I'm pretty sure there would be are least one Legendary lord opposing the main faction theme, maybe even trending toward and alliance with Cathay East Dragon, who was revealed earlier this week in an interview with CA lead writer. A role similar to Arkhan the Black to the Tomb Kings
  • OddzillaOddzilla Registered Users Posts: 271
    I'm not at all interested in seeing yet another human faction added to the game.

This isn't a historical Total War game, it's fantasy, 20 variations on "some dude with a spear but dressed differently" isn't what I signed up for.

Non-human races have far greater creative potential and are far less politically sensitive.
    Oddzilla said:

I'm not at all interested in seeing yet another human faction added to the game.

This isn't a historical Total War game, it's fantasy, 20 variations on "some dude with a spear but dressed differently" isn't what I signed up for.

Non-human races have far greater creative potential and are far less politically sensitive.

You didn't sign up for anything.

Also, a rat with a spear isn't really that different to a human or an orc with a spear in functional terms.

GW and CA so far have done a darn good job of making the human races feel distinct and play differently, even when they're your opponent. I see no reason why that would not continue to be the case.
  • MrDragonMrDragon Registered Users Posts: 2,834
    Jote191 said:

Jon_Slow said:

jamreal18 said:

Jote191 said:

Nahhh it's pretty tasteless and doesn't make any sense once you understand the meaning behind Kamikaze
    Quite, Kamikaze was a very specific moment in history with a lot of special circumstances around it that made it far more logical than it seems to us now. It's not some kind of Japanese key cultural touchstone that needs to be referenced.

In general though, cool thread with a lot of great ideas.
    I like the idea of Nippon being a little more sinister and especially like the idea of having a rogue lord that is less sinister, like a reverse Tomb Kings situation.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,630
    I would like to see Kamikaze in the Nippon's roster, but not in the form and role of suicidal humans. I see them as wind-based yokai, servants of the main Nipponese deity.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 26,676
    Give me Nippon or give me death!
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • OddzillaOddzilla Registered Users Posts: 271

Oddzilla said:

You didn't sign up for anything.

Also, a rat with a spear isn't really that different to a human or an orc with a spear in functional terms.

GW and CA so far have done a darn good job of making the human races feel distinct and play differently, even when they're your opponent. I see no reason why that would not continue to be the case.

I own TWH 1&2 as well as every DLC, and have pre-ordered TWH3. I think that qualifies as being signed up.

My preference isn't about function, the function of a given unit is entirely determined by stats. The game would play the same if every faction was comprised of cubes of different colors. We're talking about set dressing, and in that sense, a giant rat with a spear is at least more interesting than a guy with a spear.

Put a saurus spear unit next to a skaven spear, next to a goblin spear. They have the same basic function, but wildly different flavors and animations. Now put a Cathayan spear next to a Empire spear next to a Brettonia spear. They are dudes with different clothing. The only thing that sets them apart from eachother lorewise is their level of devotion to their respective factions. They aren't living weapons created by godlike beings to fight against an invading evil, they aren't sapient warhungry mushrooms, they're just.. dudes, who either like Sigmar, or "The lady" or the dragon emperor.

I get that it's good to have grounded factions to contrast with the over the top ones, but I'm not interested in half a dozen different flavors of grounded. I want to see factions that are dramatically visually distinct, and that have lore to match.
    Nippon should be a monster rush Race in my opinion.

- Super elite Samurai infantry
    - Lots of mythological beasts and monsters
    - Yōkai
    - Mechas
    ArneSo said:

- Yōkai
    - Mechas

It would be cool to have a human race with tier 4 and 5 infantry at elf/chaos/dwarf levels of quality.

ArneSo said:

- Yōkai
    - Mechas

It would be cool to have a human race with tier 4 and 5 infantry at elf/chaos/dwarf levels of quality.
    Yap. I’m also hoping for something comparable to the Aspiring champions. A low entity Samurai unit would be so epic.
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 8,597
    Jon_Slow said:

Ferestor said:

Nice list good work.

I would like to ad the Kitsune. Either as Heros, as herald of Inari or as monsterous units.

You can even have a pack (like salamander) and a single monster with more tails (like ancient salamander)

After Cathay roster reveal ( no pandas thankfully ), my personal opinion is trending towards dismissing a kitsune representation in Warhammer. It would be too "pokemonish"
    I don't think its wise to turn Warhammer into a Historical game.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.

We're paying full price for a Chaos Warrior of Tzeentch without any actual Tzeentch markings or changes to the model? Change this now CA, #JusticeForTzeentch #TLM