Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

War Wagons are very powerful units. They're just boring stat sticks that waste their cool design

GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 6,020
Well two things, but title word limit.

1) They could be brought up to speed by actually incorporating them into some technologies other than the 1-2 techs they only appear in atm

2) But the greater issue atm is that they're just a really cool unit who could have been made much more unique, but CA just made them a generic AP missile chariot that focuses more on missiles than melee. It's a shame they can't deploy and turn themselves into barricades to protect your infantry. Or the repeated rifles they wield actually fired like repeater rifles.

But never ever say War Wagons are weak. They were weak on release. But they received substantial buffs and are very powerful now. They trade Handgunner's raw DPS for mobility and tankiness, they maintain their max DPS even after taking incredible punishment yet keep all 3 models, where Handgunner's and Outriders would have long lost several models permanently taking that same amount of damage. They're just.... incredibly boring

Comments

• zagumaarzagumaar Registered Users Posts: 83
    They are still no very good, despite the buffs. I wouldn't say it's a useless unit but I find outriders way better so why should I bother recruiting it ?
    That's really a shame because the unit looks so cool.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 6,020
    zagumaar said:

They are still no very good, despite the buffs. I wouldn't say it's a useless unit but I find outriders way better so why should I bother recruiting it ?

They win matches already so they're plenty good. It's simply a matter of knowing what to do.

I already explained what advantages they have over Outriders.
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 1,524
    Yeah, we really need the wagon laager, at least for a future Kislev War Wagon in some sort of DLC!
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,655
    zagumaar said:

against the AI out riders are good Ai has no clue how to shut down them, against a player keeping out riders online is really hard,

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 2,452
    The problem with the War Wagons is that rather than converting the actual tabletop unit into a Total War unit CA decided to turn it into something it never was, a skirmishing missile chariot to match Markus Wulfhart's playstyle. The end result was one of the worst units ever and while the various buffs may have made it usefull in MP it is still of rather limited use in SP. Other units will do the same thing faster and more efficiently.

This is what the War Wagon should have been, a hybrid chariot efficient both at range and in melee, a Steam Tank light if you will. It could have been a glorious centerpiece unit for the Empire.

And also people gotta not confuse world building, you know, bring the world to life by referencing stuffs that isn't on the map, or is an event, to some kind of announcement, you know? That is certainly not the case.
    -Andy Hall, Principal Writer and Narrative Designer for Warhammer 3.
  • damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 1,500
    if you want them to act like chariots there needs to be significant cuts in their missle dps, you cant have both
    BsFG dwarf

if you want them to act like chariots there needs to be significant cuts in their missle dps, you cant have both

you can totatlly use them as chariots though i have very specific anti dwarf build using them, they may not kill with melee prowess but their big enough to force units to be in melee with them . meaning they can be used to shut down enemy range units , and any resource thats is spend on dealing with them is not used to deal with my win condition

• BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 2,578
    I think CA could add mass say +300. It should do chariot things. It is slow, and it looks a lot heavier than the average chariot.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,829

zagumaar said:

They win matches already so they're plenty good. It's simply a matter of knowing what to do.

Congrats on winning matches against the other people that play MP. Unit is still close to useless in SP, though.
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 2,452

Ah yes, forgot the rule that the Empire can not have nice things or good units ;) If it is MP you are thinking about then the price would of course be adjusted to match the new abilities, that should take care of things.
    And also people gotta not confuse world building, you know, bring the world to life by referencing stuffs that isn't on the map, or is an event, to some kind of announcement, you know? That is certainly not the case.
    -Andy Hall, Principal Writer and Narrative Designer for Warhammer 3.
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,994

zagumaar said:

Congrats on winning matches against the other people that play MP. Unit is still close to useless in SP, though.
    Isn't that more because SP favors line battles with shock damage instead of long maneuvering combat?
    edited September 2021

zagumaar said:

In SP virtually anything and everything is viable LMAO. You can beat the game just massing 100% peasant mobs or 100% eagle claw bolt throwers.

War Wagons only fall behind a little due to reason #1

Uagrim said:

zagumaar said:

Isn't that more because SP favors line battles with shock damage instead of long maneuvering combat?
    No because Ai is not good enough to shut down a gun line or a outrider build. Samw can not be said to a good player.

Uagrim said:

zagumaar said:

AI is too stupid to handle ranged units, or any units for that matter. Even Giants are viable in SP because AI doesn't capitalize on their weakness, whereas in MP you'll only see Giant work against Vampire Counts where they can do serious work