Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

"As powerful a magic-user as any High Elf"...

Cryptic_FreezeCryptic_Freeze Registered Users Posts: 430
I just don't get why Cathay needs to not only be compared to, but be better than all the other order factions in all aspects. This blog post is just more fuel for the one-dimensional fire...

Oh and calling Settra a villain lol

Comments

• DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 7,885
    Stephince said:

Read any armybook and the race you are reading about is always better/stronger etc etc than any other race. It's just marketing.

Given they are a newer faction, they probably will be better casters in game too.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.

We're paying full price for a Chaos Warrior of Tzeentch without any actual Tzeentch markings or changes to the model? Change this now CA, #JusticeForTzeentch #TLM
  • Naygir_KillazNaygir_Killaz Registered Users Posts: 1,525
    Stephince said:

Read any armybook and the race you are reading about is always better/stronger etc etc than any other race. It's just marketing.

Are they marketing to children?
    Is this what they think makes for compelling characterization instead of SHOWING us, not telling, on how they overcome and deal with their problems?
    Better yet, did they forget they are making a strategy game? Why tell us this instead of actual meaningful shyte like faction gameplay mechanics for a game that is coming out in early 2022?
  • Cryptic_FreezeCryptic_Freeze Registered Users Posts: 430
    Stephince said:

This was a moment to create the seed of Cathay's first lore in its "new era". Now should have been a time to elaborate on the culture, economy, imperial code, etc. But instead it's just "This is Miss Ying, she's REAL COOL and doesn't afraid of anything, especially no silly boys".

Sure, most factions are written from a boastful point of view, but that's hardly what they began with, or all that they have. All original factions have just as much infamy as they do fame.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 5,407
    Considering that they are dragons from before the Old Ones arrived, they are older than any Elf and have had much more time to develop their magic and abilities.

Also, she is a LL and the elder sister on top of that, she is what Mazdamundi is to other Slann.
    Also, there was plenty of neutral, fitting Cathayan lore to use...but instead of using 95% of it, they decided to remix the 50-60% of it they chose to go with.

Considering that they are dragons from before the Old Ones arrived, they are older than any Elf and have had much more time to develop their magic and abilities.

Also, she is a LL and the elder sister on top of that, she is what Mazdamundi is to other Slann.

But she's better than Mazdamundi, Cathay is apparently better than the entirety of the West...we should just change the name at this point. How about Ming Dynasty Warriors 3: A Soap Opera About How Great The Ming Dynasty Was.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 4,824
    I mean, she's an ancient dragon. She's supposed to be able to go toe-to-toe with Lords of Change and Bloodthirsters. I sure do hope she's not getting her ass kicked by the first Elven mage fresh out the white tower !
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
  • DragantisDragantis PolandRegistered Users Posts: 392
    Well from what I remember lore in army books was written from race perspective and was showing off army as having most powerful unit in the worlds. For example both VC and Bretonia have "most" powerful cavalry unit. So how Cathay lore is written look same like old (8th eddition) army books.
    Blood for the Blood God!
    Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare.
  • Naygir_KillazNaygir_Killaz Registered Users Posts: 1,525
    Dragantis said:

Well from what I remember lore in army books was written from race perspective and was showing off army as having most powerful unit in the worlds. For example both VC and Bretonia have "most" powerful cavalry unit. So how Cathay lore is written look same like old (8th eddition) army books.

The difference is that old army books also tell us more about those units and factions instead of only giving us like 2 paragraphs.
    We learned more about Andy Hall and his daughter from this blog.
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,620

How about Ming Dynasty Warriors 3: A Soap Opera About How Great The Ming Dynasty Was.

In fairness their vase game was second to none.
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Stung by people disagreeing with you? Try calling them shills and whiteknights, it's way easier than debating.

But she's better than Mazdamundi, Cathay is apparently better than the entirety of the West...we should just change the name at this point. How about Ming Dynasty Warriors 3: A Soap Opera About How Great The Ming Dynasty Was.
    Dude, if you don't like suit yourself, but don't make things up to try and create drama where there is none.
  • TancredQuenellesTancredQuenelles Registered Users Posts: 805
    Settra has always had been a villian.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 3,380
    Stephince said:

Ahem....Beastmen!
  • IoriYamadaIoriYamada WalesRegistered Users Posts: 792
    'As good as' means roughly the same which makes sense as they are magical creatures who are probably older than a lot of living Elves. Add to that there are about 7 at most of these creatures that run Cathay as the rest are human. She can also go toe to toe with a Greater Daemon, something that many other faction leaders can do.

'As good as' means roughly the same which makes sense as they are magical creatures who are probably older than a lot of living Elves. Add to that there are about 7 at most of these creatures that run Cathay as the rest are human. She can also go toe to toe with a Greater Daemon, something that many other faction leaders can do.

They where there when the Old Ones arrived and created the Elfs, there is not a single elf older than them.
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Registered Users Posts: 1,077

Settra has always had been a villian.

Only to people who don't know their place, which is kneeling before their magnificent overlord Settra.
  • IoriYamadaIoriYamada WalesRegistered Users Posts: 792

They where there when the Old Ones arrived and created the Elfs, there is not a single elf older than them.
    That's the Dragon Emperor, I have no idea when the kids were born.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,522

Oh and calling Settra a villain lol

• NiggeyNiggey Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 158
    As far as we know only Miao is as powerful of a magic user as the high elf mages. I mean the other dragons could be as well, but even then there should be only a few I guess.
    I also dont see that as very far fetched given that they are the children of parents which have been elevated to near god power levels with the new lore.
    If in the end a few selected dragons in Cathay have as strong magic abilities as the elves, there is nothing to suggest that Cathay is overall as strong as the HE or DE in terms of magic and I dont expect as much.
  • Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 415
    Niggey said:

As far as we know only Miao is as powerful of a magic user as the high elf mages. I mean the other dragons could be as well, but even then there should be only a few I guess.
    I also dont see that as very far fetched given that they are the children of parents which have been elevated to near god power levels with the new lore.
    If in the end a few selected dragons in Cathay have as strong magic abilities as the elves, there is nothing to suggest that Cathay is overall as strong as the HE or DE in terms of magic and I dont expect as much.

Really old dragons have also been potent spell casters for a long time. Even in 8th you could have Emperor Dragons who could be Level 4 wizards, and as the CDE’s firstborn Miao is potentially of Emperor Dragon level age.

For reference, statwise Emperor Dragons (which have had rules models and lore since at least 3rd) are to Star Dragons what Star Dragons are to Sun Dragons (Sun is 5s, Star 7s and Emperor 9s).
  • littlenukelittlenuke Registered Users Posts: 809
    I mean apparently cathay has enough magic to have massive stone golems... but the dwarfs cant have them because theres not enough magic??????
    Karaz-A-Karak discord: https://discord.gg/UZV6F5N

• General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,155
    Saying as powerful magic user as any high elf is pretty meaningless. As it didn't say high elf mage, and most HE can only do a little bit of magic.

And she needs to turn into a dragon to go toe to toe with unnamed greater daemons. Where as Telcis has one shot N'Kari before.
  • cat59cat59 Registered Users Posts: 482
    In the lore, sure that might mean she is a very good spellcaster.

In game? She's going to be a hybrid lord, much like her brother. Unless they massively revamp lord level wizards compared to hero level wizards, that means basically nothing for gameplay, since many 'supremely powerful' casting races have such pitiful wizards it's laughable.
  • AWizard_LizardAWizard_Lizard Registered Users Posts: 1,730
    Can people stop reading too much into stuff.
    Prettiest of the foot overlords.
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Registered Users Posts: 1,102

The Dragon Emperor and Moon Lady were there before the old ones. We have no idea how old the kids are
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,315
    I'd like to point out that she is also the strongest of her brothers/sisters so she is basically the "Teclis/Mazda" of Cathay, if that makes any sense, from what I could gather.

Also, lore vs gameplay and all that, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to blast her out of the sky no problems with my zombie canon line as Noctilus on his undead walking ship.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,058
    She most likely is Emperor Dragon. They are strong alright.

P.S. CA, I want want one as a hero/unit for the High Elves.
  • NazjaxNazjax Registered Users Posts: 1,168
    edited September 23

I dont think they are that broken in magic. Still think elves are better, because okay you have 6 dragons powerful, maybe more than elves. But compare 10 000 cathayans to 10 000 elves ?

If you take a faction full of Einstein vs a faction with 5 Einstein but a bit better... with some randoms dudes. The full one will be better overall.

Elves are still better in magic than Cathay. About the new LL and elven sorcerers, I think it could be close. They are not the Dragon emperor still, and even him I think he is less powerful than an elven god.

Pretty sure Asuryan or Khaine beat dragon emperor face so easy.
    I think some sentiments in this thread are fair, I suppose it's just the need to constantly compare and boast that I find odd. That, and the simplicity of the writing that somewhat irks me.

I mean, our lead writer over at CA is calling a character like Settra a villain...even most fans can grasp the concept of the tragic, neutral force that is the Tomb Kings in the Warhammer world, but we've got our head writer using elementary terms over here...

It just doesn't feel thought out or universal. It feels run-of-the-mill so far, but I guess there's plenty of time to wait and see.