Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do Greenskin grow hair?

saberslash117saberslash117 Registered Users Posts: 223
I've read somewhere in the armbooks or Roleplay books that Orcs are naturally hairless....but I sometimes see some Orcs with topknots...

What gives?

Comments

• mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,547
    And Mohawks
  • Mech_4Mech_4 Registered Users Posts: 229
    At least in Warhammer 40,000, Ork topnots and mohawks are actually small hairy squigs that Orks get to bite onto the top of their head like a tick.

Whether this applies for Fantasy Orcs I don't think was ever specifically mentioned. I tend to assume it's the same case. Either that or maybe they make them out of dwarf beards or something.
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaRegistered Users Posts: 2,278
    Squigs. Their headpieces are technically squigs.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Squigs
  • PappyTronPappyTron Registered Users Posts: 1,114
    "You think you're fooling anyone with that top knot?"
    "Back in the sweatshop in Ulthuan, we found an Elf, we tossed it right in the soup. Those hungry bastards ate Elf soup every day. What's the worst thing that could happen? Some little snotling chokes on a hairball and dies? So then you toss him in the soup. I was making money hand over foot, literally. Some gobbo lost a hand or a foot, I'd toss it in the soup" - Grom
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,994
    It's hairsquigs even in fantasy.
  • UrgatUrgat Registered Users Posts: 996
    edited November 2017
    There's no source to support that hair squigs exist in WFB. Before the 5th ed plastics (so before all orcs became clones of each other), there were fantasy orcs with actual hairdos, and not just the topknots. That's as valid as the moronic concept of squigs bitting on an ork's head being ported over to fantasy.
  • ZerglesZergles Member Registered Users Posts: 3,014
    I mean..."hairy mushrooms" exist. So I guess Orcs could have hair.

I don't ****' know guys. Does it really matter?

My vote goes to Weaves made out of Dwarf Beard and/or Skaven pelts. This is the explanation I will subscribe to, until the end of time. Why?

Because I like the idea that a few Orcs actually get into fights or even largescale Waaaggghhhsss over the quality of their weave.

"OY YUSE BETTA NOT INSULT DA BOSS'S FURRY BIT IF YUSE KNOWS WHATS GUD FUR YA"

• PappyTronPappyTron Registered Users Posts: 1,114
    Zergles said:

I mean..."hairy mushrooms" exist. So I guess Orcs could have hair.

I don't ****' know guys. Does it really matter?

My vote goes to Weaves made out of Dwarf Beard and/or Skaven pelts. This is the explanation I will subscribe to, until the end of time. Why?

Because I like the idea that a few Orcs actually get into fights or even largescale Waaaggghhhsss over the quality of their weave.

"OY YUSE BETTA NOT INSULT DA BOSS'S FURRY BIT IF YUSE KNOWS WHATS GUD FUR YA"

"Oi, Buzzgog's got a comb-ova, da weedy git!"
    "Back in the sweatshop in Ulthuan, we found an Elf, we tossed it right in the soup. Those hungry bastards ate Elf soup every day. What's the worst thing that could happen? Some little snotling chokes on a hairball and dies? So then you toss him in the soup. I was making money hand over foot, literally. Some gobbo lost a hand or a foot, I'd toss it in the soup" - Grom
  • BaronKlatzBaronKlatz Registered Users Posts: 1,037
    I'll go for enemy scalps explanation too since I think a parasite squig is just too smart for them to come up with in fantasy.

That said, that's pretty cool 40k lore. Never knew about that.
    When they made fantasy Greenskins spawn the same way as 40K Orkz I just take all overlap for granted.

Also, you can totally style hairsquigs.

For all things Orkz -- get your mits on some Gorkamorka rulebooks. That's the origin of their whole new biology thing. Although as people have mentioned that "new" is 20 years old now. So if things have changed in the last 2 editions or so... beats me. My knowledge ends at 6th. AoS and WH40K 8th kind of never happened in my mind.
  • Macoa1066Macoa1066 Registered Users Posts: 341
    For the record, trolls can grow hair. Just look at Throgg.
    Updated 8/27/2017:
    Warhammer: 1400 hours
    Attila: 955 hours
    Rome II: 765 hours
    Medieval II: 570 hours
    Rome I: 160 hours
    Shogun II: 10 hours
    Trolls aren't greenskins :)
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,744
    Clearly this is why they and Dwarfs don't get along. Dwarfs don't trust anything that can't grow a beard.
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
  • Macoa1066Macoa1066 Registered Users Posts: 341
    edited November 2017

Trolls, Goblins, Orcs, Snotlings, and Hobgoblins are all classified as greenskins, unless something has changed.
    Updated 8/27/2017:
    Warhammer: 1400 hours
    Attila: 955 hours
    Rome II: 765 hours
    Medieval II: 570 hours
    Rome I: 160 hours
    Shogun II: 10 hours
    I don't recall Trolls *ever* being Greenskins. If something changed it was long, long ago.

Greenskins can have them in their armies though, obviously.
    Yeah, they just tag along for the promise of food. They lack the Waaagh mentality, Gork and Mork worship and um...greenskin.
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,247
    trolls aren't greenskins... i remember reading something about where they come from with some lore attached to how the trolls took down the "sky titan" empire ( modern day giants ancestors)
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
    edited November 2017
    That was ogres. Sky titans had fields of animals and isolated themselves in quiet mountain tops.(certainly wasn't an empire. They were a peaceful race.)

Ogres swarmed them despite being smaller and much less advanced. The surviving titans had to hide like animals and resort to inbreeding which lead to the current dim-witted giants.
  • ObernObern Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited September 30
    Macoa1066 said:

Trolls, Goblins, Orcs, Snotlings, and Hobgoblins are all classified as greenskins, unless something has changed.
    The trolls have females. River troll hag for example.
    Greenskins are genderless.

• Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 639
    Some of the 4th Ed Chaos Dwarf Hobgoblins had normal hair under their Phrygian caps, you can see it between the sides of the cap and their faces. There’s also the depictions of wolf riders with moustaches.
This discussion has been closed.