Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Celestial crossbow is tier 5, sentinel tier 4, rockets tier 4 too.

Data5Data5 Registered Users Posts: 261

Here is the building chains. Interesting that blunderbuss is at 2 with jezzails at 3. This is a tier lower than VCoast.

Also if you look closely you can see that there are 2 tier 1 basic military building. The right one should be peasant riders while the left one should be jade with sword shown here:

Comments

• 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 2,241
    Quite interesting that the sentinels are linked to the settlement chain

Bohemond for game 3 please!

• KillertutKillertut Registered Users Posts: 639
    55JoNNo said:

be reminded that this is a special settlement, i assume normal cities need to build a dedicated building for the sentinel.
  • Data5Data5 Registered Users Posts: 261
    55JoNNo said:

In lore they are part of every settlement as statues and not recently manufactured for war like a cannon.
  • SaitohSaitoh Registered Users Posts: 308
    Celestial dragon guard at tier 4 for halberd and tier 5 for crossbows... These guys are either superhuman or completely useless.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,505
    Saitoh said:

Celestial dragon guard at tier 4 for halberd and tier 5 for crossbows... These guys are either superhuman or completely useless.

foot squires are tier 5 just saying

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• SaitohSaitoh Registered Users Posts: 308
    saweendra said:

Saitoh said:

And they're unplayable even on normal difficulty. So superhuman or completely useless as I was saying.
  • T_MACCABBEET_MACCABBEE Registered Users Posts: 356
    Celestial guard requiring a special building and are locked behind T4 and T5 respectively will sharply cut off their usage for the majority of players definitely.
    At that point, your units are going to have high enough veterancy to fight off what most of the AI can throw at you, especially since all your necessary guns and artillery are available in the same building chain.
    Unless the celestial guard building has other bonuses, I doubt many people are going to waste a building slot for them.
  • User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 1,050
    saweendra said:

Saitoh said:

Foot squires are tier 4, but yeah, unit tiers are a bit arbitrary and vary based on which race you're playing. Bretonnian pole arms are also a tier higher than halberds.
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
    edited October 14
    User_Clue said:

saweendra said:

Saitoh said:

Foot squires are tier 4, but yeah, unit tiers are a bit arbitrary and vary based on which race you're playing. Bretonnian pole arms are also a tier higher than halberds.
    In respect to their own building chain yes they are T4 but said building that unlocks foot squires is actually T5 compared to other building chains. The bret military building skips a building between T3 and T5 so there is no T4. This means you can only upgrade it once you reach the highest tier for your main settlement building.
  • User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 1,050

User_Clue said:

saweendra said:

Saitoh said:

In respect to their own building chain yes they are T4 but said building that unlocks foot squires is actually T5 compared to other building chains. The bret military building skips a building between T3 and T5 so there is no T4. This means you can only upgrade it once you reach the highest tier for your main settlement building.

"Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
    User_Clue said:

User_Clue said:

saweendra said:

Saitoh said:

What. Huh a mod I'm using must have changed it then because as repanse foot squires are T5.
  • Data5Data5 Registered Users Posts: 261
    Saitoh said:

Halberds with guard in the name like Tempel/Phoenix/Black guards are all tier 5.

Celestial dragon guard and those mentioned also all have unit size 100 on ultra. My bet is on superhuman.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,265
    Building tiers are not a good judge of unit strength - which is why CA have even introduced another tier system specifically for this purpose.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,723
    as has been mentioned this is a special settlement that's completely geared towards military use. i would not be surprised if several units have lower tier building requirements here than in most settlements, particularly the main building.
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,416

Building tiers are not a good judge of unit strength - which is why CA have even introduced another tier system specifically for this purpose.

Having very mediocre units that you can't recruit until turn 80 because of how slow growth is, and which also cost a fresh kidney in upkeep, is going to be worthless in campaign, regardless of whatever seemingly MP-focused tier system CA has come up with.

If something is recruited at tier 4 or 5 and costed at tier 4 or 5 then it has to be seriously good or it essentially becomes just about useless in a campaign context. This is a problem for squires, for black guards, executioners, swordmasters, phoenix guard, dragon princes, stormvermin, depth guard, and a bunch more. It just isn't worth it unless you want to make life more difficult for yourself.

And if something is at that tier but not actually a strong unit then what's it doing at that tier? Who builds a tier 4 building to recruit something comparable to a clanrat?
  • Domokun84Domokun84 Registered Users Posts: 210
    Data5 said:

Saitoh said:

Halberds with guard in the name like Tempel/Phoenix/Black guards are all tier 5.

Celestial dragon guard and those mentioned also all have unit size 100 on ultra. My bet is on superhuman.
    Shades 2.0?
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 1,258

This. There are 3 tiers for units and 5 for buildings. Celestial Dragon Guard (both variants) seem to be tier 3 and are recruited at ranks 4-5 (which is typical afaik).
    That also appears to be justified as AP repeater crossbows (high RoF) as well as shield and halberd on elite, heavy infantry are likely really powerful at defense and blasting away enemies respectively.
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 2,030
    I am surprised that people get access to high tier units and don't use them. I'll definitely disband a Silverin Guard for a Phoenix Guard and then level them up.

These days though I do play exclusively with army unit caps though so maybe that changes things.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,416

I am surprised that people get access to high tier units and don't use them. I'll definitely disband a Silverin Guard for a Phoenix Guard and then level them up.

These days though I do play exclusively with army unit caps though so maybe that changes things.

Probably does. Personally I don't care for the upkeep of silverin guards or phoenix guards, because what's the point? A prince on chariot can tank better, a handmaiden can tank better, an eagle can tank better, and if I use sisters rather than regular archers then how much tanking am I even going to need?

So building some tier 5 building to get a "tier 3" unit that cost more but isn't really more useful than an actual tier 3 unit priced at its tier and recruited from a tier 3 building, is that really good value? Not for me.

More like most people have already won the game by the time they reach T5 buildings so there really isn't much of a point to get such elite units just for mopping up other factions.

This is especially glaring for dark elves for example that you pretty much have no reason to get the various flavors of shades when dark shards with shields do what you want out of a high AP ranged unit and is T2 that is also accessible by the first 5 turns.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,505
    User_Clue said:

saweendra said:

Saitoh said:

My bad miss remembering things i was sure foot squires came tier late than great swords for empire.

And i remembered great swords to be tier 4.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• NazjaxNazjax Registered Users Posts: 1,256
    edited October 14
    saweendra said:

Saitoh said:

4* Bretonnia dont have tier 5 infantry technicaly. But I remember you need some smith to have them ? Dunno if it got changed.

But Imo they should give foot knights and bring them to t3. And maybe should get a little rework for the infantry tier in warhammer 3.