Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Nurgle popularity : Why ?

24

Comments

  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 6,843
    Nurgle-aligned things got a lot of love on the tabletop, and decent coverage in video games, alongside Khorne stuff. Plus there is a solid and 'touching' theme.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,896
    Nurgle have been the first choice of enemy in the majority of games released recently including future games. Major novels and releases like the Death Guard’s made them a lot more popular.
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,266
    Nurgle is weird, in the context of not being guided by the same interests as the rest of the chaos gods.

    With the rest of the gods you have quite clear what their objective is and what they embody with Nurgle you simply do not do it.

    Nurgle is a contradiction like few within the warhammer chaos. It is an entity that seeks to spread disease and thinks that it is something positive which does not make much sense when you are killing the beings that are supposedly making you exist (Nurgle is the manifestation of the fear of death of the collective consciousness of humanity ). All this seasoned with the fact that all his followers are sincerely happy and share Nurgle's vision. But at the end of the day the appeal of Nurgle is very simple is unconditional love, knowing that when everyone hates you Nurgle will accept you and love you as one of his children. To serve Nurgle is to be part of something greater and as important as it is despised, putrefaction. Being the one who sets the gears of life and death in motion so that the cycle continues through death and life over and over again. Nurgle is a necessary evil, perhaps a misunderstood good.

    And that is why Nurgle is so beloved because absurd as it may be, he is the most human of all the gods.
  • IoriYamadaIoriYamada WalesRegistered Users Posts: 792
    brago90 said:

    Nurgle is weird, in the context of not being guided by the same interests as the rest of the chaos gods.

    With the rest of the gods you have quite clear what their objective is and what they embody with Nurgle you simply do not do it.

    Nurgle is a contradiction like few within the warhammer chaos. It is an entity that seeks to spread disease and thinks that it is something positive which does not make much sense when you are killing the beings that are supposedly making you exist (Nurgle is the manifestation of the fear of death of the collective consciousness of humanity ). All this seasoned with the fact that all his followers are sincerely happy and share Nurgle's vision. But at the end of the day the appeal of Nurgle is very simple is unconditional love, knowing that when everyone hates you Nurgle will accept you and love you as one of his children. To serve Nurgle is to be part of something greater and as important as it is despised, putrefaction. Being the one who sets the gears of life and death in motion so that the cycle continues through death and life over and over again. Nurgle is a necessary evil, perhaps a misunderstood good.

    And that is why Nurgle is so beloved because absurd as it may be, he is the most human of all the gods.

    I'm not sure he kills his followers, he offers them everlasting life through constant rebirth.
  • hendo’hendo’ Registered Users Posts: 2,833
    NURGLE POPULARITY : WHY ?


  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,266

    brago90 said:

    Nurgle is weird, in the context of not being guided by the same interests as the rest of the chaos gods.

    With the rest of the gods you have quite clear what their objective is and what they embody with Nurgle you simply do not do it.

    Nurgle is a contradiction like few within the warhammer chaos. It is an entity that seeks to spread disease and thinks that it is something positive which does not make much sense when you are killing the beings that are supposedly making you exist (Nurgle is the manifestation of the fear of death of the collective consciousness of humanity ). All this seasoned with the fact that all his followers are sincerely happy and share Nurgle's vision. But at the end of the day the appeal of Nurgle is very simple is unconditional love, knowing that when everyone hates you Nurgle will accept you and love you as one of his children. To serve Nurgle is to be part of something greater and as important as it is despised, putrefaction. Being the one who sets the gears of life and death in motion so that the cycle continues through death and life over and over again. Nurgle is a necessary evil, perhaps a misunderstood good.

    And that is why Nurgle is so beloved because absurd as it may be, he is the most human of all the gods.

    I'm not sure he kills his followers, he offers them everlasting life through constant rebirth.
    He does not kill his followers but all humanity fuels his existence and only a minority are his followers.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,108
    Nurgle's themes touch into everyone's (unhealthy) temptation to give up, implode on life and succumb to depression and despair. It's about falling into that downward spiral and suffering the consequences but also to be so inured to the pain that you no longer can be arsed to even care anymore. Everyone is happy because everyone is equally miserable rather than actually being ok. Nurgle is the demonic plague ridden equivalent of the song "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

    Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

  • mdgh1991mdgh1991 Registered Users Posts: 474
    Why? How dare you ask why?

    Love knows no reason, no boundaries, no distance. It has a sole intention of bringing hearts together to a time called forever.

    You see, that's why we love Nurgle.
  • IoriYamadaIoriYamada WalesRegistered Users Posts: 792
    brago90 said:

    brago90 said:

    Nurgle is weird, in the context of not being guided by the same interests as the rest of the chaos gods.

    With the rest of the gods you have quite clear what their objective is and what they embody with Nurgle you simply do not do it.

    Nurgle is a contradiction like few within the warhammer chaos. It is an entity that seeks to spread disease and thinks that it is something positive which does not make much sense when you are killing the beings that are supposedly making you exist (Nurgle is the manifestation of the fear of death of the collective consciousness of humanity ). All this seasoned with the fact that all his followers are sincerely happy and share Nurgle's vision. But at the end of the day the appeal of Nurgle is very simple is unconditional love, knowing that when everyone hates you Nurgle will accept you and love you as one of his children. To serve Nurgle is to be part of something greater and as important as it is despised, putrefaction. Being the one who sets the gears of life and death in motion so that the cycle continues through death and life over and over again. Nurgle is a necessary evil, perhaps a misunderstood good.

    And that is why Nurgle is so beloved because absurd as it may be, he is the most human of all the gods.

    I'm not sure he kills his followers, he offers them everlasting life through constant rebirth.
    He does not kill his followers but all humanity fuels his existence and only a minority are his followers.
    Every god has a minority following them, like any faction but he gets little out of the person's death, his themes are creativity, death and rebirth. The more people affected by his maladies the stronger he is.
  • gorgos96gorgos96 Member Registered Users Posts: 379
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 5,678
    It's awesome to fight an awesome-looking enemy.

    That's why I love Nurgle and Slaanesh. They're disgusting/creepy to fight against.
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 828
    I honestly never understood how anyone ever becomes a Nurgle follower.

    I mean, I get that the big draw for Chaos is the potential for immortality, so there's that. But all the Chaos gods offer that, and at least the other gods have some other appeal besides that.

    Khorne offers glory and battle for all the jocks of the world. Tzeentch offers secrets and knowledge and magic to all the nerds. And Slaanesh offers sexy times for the deviants.

    But every thing Nurgle offers seems like a downside. "How would you like to be gross and oozing for all eternity!"

    Like, the only way anyone goes for that sales pitch is if they don't know any of the other Chaos Gods exist. And if that's the case, good job Nurgle cultists I guess.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,299
    Obviously people's preferences are there own, but those that believe Nurgle loves 'you/all' is fundamentally incorrect.

    Nurgle hates 'you/all' and wants it torn down the same as any Chaos god.

    Nurgle IS into accumulating followers ofc. But you're no longer 'you' once you've been infected. You're a deformed, mindless drone, serving Nurgle's will. He might love his obedient drones...but how he gets people to that point comes from a place of sickening depravity, not love.

    As a follower of Nurgle, you don't have free will. You no longer have your own passions/interest/personality. For all intents and purposes, 'You' are dead, and Nurgle has killed you. Just because he keeps resurrecting your corpse as an increasingly hideous zombie doesn't mean he cares about YOU. He cares about his mindless obedient drones. There's a difference.

    Like, let's say there's a man who wants his dinner cooked 'just so'. His wife fails to do it correctly one night, so he beats her to a pulp, and then nurses her back to health. Every time she's healed, yet scarred, she has to attempt to make the dinner again, and is beaten again and healed again after every failure. All while the wife loses her job due to absence, loses social contact with all her friends, stops participating in all her passions and hobbies, and becomes increasingly disfigured.

    Let's be 'fair' and even say the man makes sure she's constantly given morphine so she doesn't feel the beatings, and lots of her body parts later get replaced with 'superior' artificial/cybernetic components. And let's say, she eventually gives up on anything else and accepts the role of just making him dinner correctly, over and over again. And once she does so, he shows affection towards her.

    ^In NO WORLD does anyone get to say that this man loved his wife. Taking away her pain and giving her 'upgrades' is not 'love' if that's how everything else is handled. He maybe has love for a mindless dinner-drone, but clearly only had sociopathic, narcissistic, controlling, abusive intentions towards his wife.

    So yeah, you're still allowed to like Nurgle ofc. The villains and the grotesque in various settings clearly do have some mass appeal! So I don't mean to take that away from anyone.

    But no, Nurgle does not 'love' you. He might 'love' his droning minions. Still, it's no more true to say that Nurgle loves you than it is to say the Borg love people. To somehow romanticize the 'altruism' of either Nurgle or the Borg towards their 'followers', is tremendously misleading/misguided.
  • JastalllJastalll Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,443
    His visual design is awesome. Disgusting, sure, but awesome. I feel like GW were at their most creative when making Papa Nurgle's nauseating children. Also Nurglings are the perfect Ugly Cute critters.

    Plus he's the only God who seems to have a personality and demands that go deeper than "murder/troll/molest everything in sight". Nurgle loves everyone and everything, but of course it's Chaos so it's twisted as him loving actually everything, including the bacteria and diseases that are killing you right now, and his unconditional love comes with an unhealthy helping of mutations and basically sedating thoughts so you don't question why your intestines are now sentient and coming out of your eyes or something.

    Those contradictions kinda makes him feel like a more real god whose bizarre ideals conflict with basic mortal necessities without him really realizing that, making him IMO more interesting than his brothers.
  • Ben1990Ben1990 Registered Users Posts: 996
    ArneSo said:

    It’s beyond your comprehension asinine mortal.

    On a serious note, he’s the most complex one out of all the gods and he loves his followers.

    I find his grotesk visuals fascinating and disgusting.

    On the other hand the current non-Forge World models look too clean. Not enough rotting scabs and meat, as well as puss-filled blisters and rust on their weapons.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,972
    edited October 16
    Ben1990 said:

    ArneSo said:

    It’s beyond your comprehension asinine mortal.

    On a serious note, he’s the most complex one out of all the gods and he loves his followers.

    I find his grotesk visuals fascinating and disgusting.

    On the other hand the current non-Forge World models look too clean. Not enough rotting scabs and meat, as well as puss-filled blisters and rust on their weapons.
    Green stuff and good painting. Half the hobby is learning how to pimp your minis.

    Most my Orks were modified to some degree, hell.
  • Hourgath_the_HutridHourgath_the_Hutrid Registered Users Posts: 582
    Valkaar said:

    Obviously people's preferences are there own, but those that believe Nurgle loves 'you/all' is fundamentally incorrect.

    Nurgle hates 'you/all' and wants it torn down the same as any Chaos god.

    Nurgle IS into accumulating followers ofc. But you're no longer 'you' once you've been infected. You're a deformed, mindless drone, serving Nurgle's will. He might love his obedient drones...but how he gets people to that point comes from a place of sickening depravity, not love.

    As a follower of Nurgle, you don't have free will. You no longer have your own passions/interest/personality. For all intents and purposes, 'You' are dead, and Nurgle has killed you. Just because he keeps resurrecting your corpse as an increasingly hideous zombie doesn't mean he cares about YOU. He cares about his mindless obedient drones. There's a difference.

    Like, let's say there's a man who wants his dinner cooked 'just so'. His wife fails to do it correctly one night, so he beats her to a pulp, and then nurses her back to health. Every time she's healed, yet scarred, she has to attempt to make the dinner again, and is beaten again and healed again after every failure. All while the wife loses her job due to absence, loses social contact with all her friends, stops participating in all her passions and hobbies, and becomes increasingly disfigured.

    Let's be 'fair' and even say the man makes sure she's constantly given morphine so she doesn't feel the beatings, and lots of her body parts later get replaced with 'superior' artificial/cybernetic components. And let's say, she eventually gives up on anything else and accepts the role of just making him dinner correctly, over and over again. And once she does so, he shows affection towards her.

    ^In NO WORLD does anyone get to say that this man loved his wife. Taking away her pain and giving her 'upgrades' is not 'love' if that's how everything else is handled. He maybe has love for a mindless dinner-drone, but clearly only had sociopathic, narcissistic, controlling, abusive intentions towards his wife.

    So yeah, you're still allowed to like Nurgle ofc. The villains and the grotesque in various settings clearly do have some mass appeal! So I don't mean to take that away from anyone.

    But no, Nurgle does not 'love' you. He might 'love' his droning minions. Still, it's no more true to say that Nurgle loves you than it is to say the Borg love people. To somehow romanticize the 'altruism' of either Nurgle or the Borg towards their 'followers', is tremendously misleading/misguided.

    Dony worry my friend no matter how mean and unfair you were to the grandfather he still loves you
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,946
    Nazjax said:

    Im curious to know why people love so much Nurgle. I mean, i get the point of the people who honestly like Slaanesh, for obvious reason ! But why Nurgle is so popular when the design are for the most ... horrible and hideously ugly?

    If we look at some artworks, even undead can become beautiful if you compare to Nurgle demons !

    So im curious to know what Nurgle fans and defender will tell me about that !

    ugliness is the point. Warhammer is a dark setting with many dark themes. There are many settings like WoW that prioritize shiny prettiness if thats important to you
  • DragantisDragantis PolandRegistered Users Posts: 412
    For me they are Plague Toads, they look very cool.

    Well to be Honest I really like Tzeentch concept but His army is meh. Slaanesh concept also is interesting but it is more fun for books and rpg than for TW.

    Khorne have a boring concept but His army is cool and I look forward to playing as Him but... I have to wait another month for dlc with blood, because seriously how am I supposed to give blood for blood god without blood in game?

    So only left chaos god is Nurgle and He does have a interesting concept. He have some funny looking monster in army, especial plague toad although there is low chance for them to be in starting roster.
    Blood for the Blood God!
    Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare.
  • epic_162578572945FgdWSzpepic_162578572945FgdWSzp Registered Users Posts: 506
    The appeal for nurgle, from my understanding, is in he embodies true human fears. Khorne is what bloodshed? Not super relatable. Tzeentch is schemes and magic, fun for sure but not super relatable. Slaanesh is about about pleasure which is for sure more relatable but less a thing we fear. Nurgle on the other hand reflects the deep seated fear of mortality that humans have, nurgle offers near immortality, a concept people have desired and attempted to attain for almost all of history. It's this fear of death that drives nurgles followers which ultimately become unfeeling plague filler monsters. But the logic that causes these people to get there feels sound. I think the reason nurgle is popular is the same reason he is appealing in the empire, he offers solutions to very real problems and fears of people
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,972
    Dragantis said:

    For me they are Plague Toads, they look very cool.

    Well to be Honest I really like Tzeentch concept but His army is meh. Slaanesh concept also is interesting but it is more fun for books and rpg than for TW.

    Khorne have a boring concept but His army is cool and I look forward to playing as Him but... I have to wait another month for dlc with blood, because seriously how am I supposed to give blood for blood god without blood in game?

    So only left chaos god is Nurgle and He does have a interesting concept. He have some funny looking monster in army, especial plague toad although there is low chance for them to be in starting roster.

    If you have blood DLC for WH1, or WH2, you will have it for WH3.
  • MonerisMoneris Registered Users Posts: 312
    I can kind of understand Nurgles draw.

    When I was at University I fell into a deep depression. I ate, I barely moved, I got fat and basically wasted away. Confronting reality was too painful so I just dived deeper into laziness, cynicism and hopelessness.

    Nurgle is that voice in your head telling you "its ok to give up, its ok to waste away while wallowing in filth. Find comfort in your misery, no matter how useless and repulsive you are I will always care about you".

    If you never try, nothing can ever hurt you.

    So Nurgle would be the prime choice for the hopeless and clinically depressed, as he provides a sweet release from responsibility, and encourages you to wallow in despair, which can be quite comforting to somebody who is depressed.



  • JachymulusJachymulus Registered Users Posts: 237
    On the surface and just the basic "warhammer wiki" lore he is pretty shallow and it's pretty likely for you to not get the whole idea. I reccomend reading the "Necronomicon" for Warhammer Fantasy. It describes rosters and characters of each chaos god and their philosophy as well. You might be suprised how deep the character of the decaying god is. If you read some of the books from fantasy and 40K you realise how much dept is to chaos beyond just the usual stuff. Basically, the Nurgle is a embodiment of despair and fear in it's most desparate way, where people turn to complete apathy. I personally can relate to some of the emotional aspects of the Nurgle in some ways where in the most desperate moments in your life you find a weird sense of clarity and direction.
    Well i got maybe a little bit too philosophical. But i am going to say one last thing: its also worth noticing that the symbol of chaos is very simular to the Buddhist wheel. Chaos basically takes all of the zen philosophies and turns them upside down in the complete polar opposite. Chaos has a lot of character depth and Nurgle is no exception.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 5,217
    People enjoy the aesthetic.
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 828
    edited October 16

    People enjoy the aesthetic.

    That explains the players of the game. Doesn't explain the worshippers in-universe.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 4,087

    brago90 said:

    brago90 said:

    Nurgle is weird, in the context of not being guided by the same interests as the rest of the chaos gods.

    With the rest of the gods you have quite clear what their objective is and what they embody with Nurgle you simply do not do it.

    Nurgle is a contradiction like few within the warhammer chaos. It is an entity that seeks to spread disease and thinks that it is something positive which does not make much sense when you are killing the beings that are supposedly making you exist (Nurgle is the manifestation of the fear of death of the collective consciousness of humanity ). All this seasoned with the fact that all his followers are sincerely happy and share Nurgle's vision. But at the end of the day the appeal of Nurgle is very simple is unconditional love, knowing that when everyone hates you Nurgle will accept you and love you as one of his children. To serve Nurgle is to be part of something greater and as important as it is despised, putrefaction. Being the one who sets the gears of life and death in motion so that the cycle continues through death and life over and over again. Nurgle is a necessary evil, perhaps a misunderstood good.

    And that is why Nurgle is so beloved because absurd as it may be, he is the most human of all the gods.

    I'm not sure he kills his followers, he offers them everlasting life through constant rebirth.
    He does not kill his followers but all humanity fuels his existence and only a minority are his followers.
    Every god has a minority following them, like any faction but he gets little out of the person's death, his themes are creativity, death and rebirth. The more people affected by his maladies the stronger he is.
    The creativity part is admittedly a lil out of place
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,870
    Because Nurgle got the most support on tabletop.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • DragantisDragantis PolandRegistered Users Posts: 412
    Itharus said:

    Dragantis said:

    For me they are Plague Toads, they look very cool.

    Well to be Honest I really like Tzeentch concept but His army is meh. Slaanesh concept also is interesting but it is more fun for books and rpg than for TW.

    Khorne have a boring concept but His army is cool and I look forward to playing as Him but... I have to wait another month for dlc with blood, because seriously how am I supposed to give blood for blood god without blood in game?

    So only left chaos god is Nurgle and He does have a interesting concept. He have some funny looking monster in army, especial plague toad although there is low chance for them to be in starting roster.

    If you have blood DLC for WH1, or WH2, you will have it for WH3.
    But still it will only be available after a month since release. As it was if I'm not mistaken when Wh2 lunched. I don't need to buy it but it still need to be released for me to turn it on.
    Blood for the Blood God!
    Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare.
  • DragonbroodlingsDragonbroodlings Registered Users Posts: 219

    People enjoy the aesthetic.

    That explains the players of the game. Doesn't explain the worshippers in-universe.
    From what I've read, Nurgle appeals in-universe by "helping" people get over intense pain and illness. There are probably other reasons too, but that's what I remember.
  • duglandtotoduglandtoto Registered Users Posts: 418
    edited October 17
    3 months ago I made a poll about Monogods and here is the result
    Nurgle and Tzeentch are leading but Nurgle is far ahead. It's really interesting.

    Personnally I love Nurgle because of the decay, because I love corruption and Nurgle is the symbol of corruption, contamination and mutation. He is disgusting and best represents Chaos to me.
Sign In or Register to comment.