Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Don't you think there's a reason why CA limit modding tools?

elkappelkapp Registered Users Posts: 1,237
edited October 2021 in Total War General Chat
This idea came to me now. I was thinking about how much people rely on mods to play TWW2 and define them as "necessary" to their experience, which made me wonder what would happen if CA, for unknown reasons, blocked all of them by restricting modding tools and updating the game in such a way that old tools won't work.
That scenario didn't make much sense when i first conceived it because i thought "if CA was to kill big mods, then a lot of people would stop playing and paying, and CA wants people to pay"; however, this then would imply that CA would benefit for making modding tools as open as possible.
Though, at least for TWW, modding tools are quite restricted.
Why?

The answer then came naturally: CA restricts modding tools because they're afraid of delivering less than modders. Think about it for a second, and imagine a situation where modding tools (for TWW) were so advanced that you could implement custom effects, do you think people would still buy the crappy 3€ half-broken blood DLC? Modders would've already put in death animations for each possible spell in the game, and made it free.
Think about all the buggy and incomplete faction mechanics, the braidead AI, the roster bloat, DLC powercreep. CA wouldn't have been able to sell ****, at lest not with the mentality they have now of delivering the lest costly barely acceptable.

From CA's point of view, granting modders tools to fix the issues they create is a terrible decision.
From the customer's point of view, however, things would be flipped. Expecially for those issues that we all know won't ever be fixed, even if TWW3 post launch support would last 10 years.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• UberReptilianUberReptilian The Crystal LabyrinthRegistered Users Posts: 5,488
    I think the accepted reason is so people wouldn't create Lord of the Rings TW or other IPs (or my dream of modding Lizardmen to have Jurassic Park sound effects for Dinosaurs) cause GW is scared of copyright shenanigans.

• mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 6,586
    Or because they could get into trouble if someone decides to add another IP into their games? Heck, imagine the problems CA could get into if someone started adding Dragon Age units to a Warhammer game.

So no, I don't think It has anything to do with CA being afraid of modders.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955
    edited October 2021
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAHAHA

NO
    HAVE NOT YOU **** SEEN MED2 AND ATILLA MODS? ITS LITERALLY OTHER **** UNIVERSES MADE INTO TOTAL WAR ENGINE, OF COURSE THEY ARE AFFRAID, MORE THAN THAT THEY **** THEMSELVE WITH EACH MONOGODS RESKIN
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,251
    CA uses other companies tools for some of the developement now (like the campaign map maker tool).

This is the real reason why modding has become limited as CA does not have the right to make these tools available for public.

As for user made tools, map modding has become vastly more complex since medieval 2 and even Shogun 2\rome 2\ atilla user made tools can only do so much.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955
    Laindesh said:

CA uses other companies tools for some of the developement now (like the campaign map maker tool).

This is the real reason why modding has become limited as CA does not have the right to make these tools available for public.

As for user made tools, map modding has become vastly more complex since medieval 2 and even Shogun 2\rome 2\ atilla user made tools can only do so much.

I have a strong feeling they're using WORLD MACHINE for maps and its a tool available for public; if you're ready to drop some coins.
  • EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,325

Or because they could get into trouble if someone decides to add another IP into their games? Heck, imagine the problems CA could get into if someone started adding Dragon Age units to a Warhammer game.

So no, I don't think It has anything to do with CA being afraid of modders.

This is so wrong. They won't get in any troble if "someone decides to add another IP into their games" and legally it is already possible to break the copyright law with current tools, but big companies will never care about that unless you start charging money for the mods.

The real reason is SEGA and they were limiting mod tools since Company of Heroes 2 in order to have more profits from selling DLCs.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • IoriYamadaIoriYamada WalesRegistered Users Posts: 792
    Tools are harder to create for the later games.
  • Stacks_LeeStacks_Lee Registered Users Posts: 349
    Tinfoil Friday
  • EthorinEthorin Registered Users Posts: 626
    Actually, part of it is explicitly "GW was not hot on mods and CA had to fight for modding at all", GW WAS very worried about the possibility of license infringement and whatnot.

The rest of it is probably some blend of "Modding Tools Take Effort" and "Engine is old and wonky and we weren't sure how stable we could get it with magic and whatnot".
  • StoreslemStoreslem Registered Users Posts: 460
    i just need to mod the music too
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,986
    Storeslem said:

i just need to mod the music too

There has been mods that did that might wanna ask actual modders on how.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 22,569
    Moved to Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• virginia1861virginia1861 Registered Users Posts: 302
    elkapp said:

This idea came to me now. I was thinking about how much people rely on mods to play TWW2 and define them as "necessary" to their experience, which made me wonder what would happen if CA, for unknown reasons, blocked all of them by restricting modding tools and updating the game in such a way that old tools won't work.
    That scenario didn't make much sense when i first conceived it because i thought "if CA was to kill big mods, then a lot of people would stop playing and paying, and CA wants people to pay"; however, this then would imply that CA would benefit for making modding tools as open as possible.
    Though, at least for TWW, modding tools are quite restricted.
    Why?

The answer then came naturally: CA restricts modding tools because they're afraid of delivering less than modders. Think about it for a second, and imagine a situation where modding tools (for TWW) were so advanced that you could implement custom effects, do you think people would still buy the crappy 3€ half-broken blood DLC? Modders would've already put in death animations for each possible spell in the game, and made it free.
    Think about all the buggy and incomplete faction mechanics, the braidead AI, the roster bloat, DLC powercreep. CA wouldn't have been able to sell ****, at lest not with the mentality they have now of delivering the lest costly barely acceptable.

From CA's point of view, granting modders tools to fix the issues they create is a terrible decision.
    From the customer's point of view, however, things would be flipped. Expecially for those issues that we all know won't ever be fixed, even if TWW3 post launch support would last 10 years.

We have known that since med 2. Also modders have unlocked material not yet released for a fee so CA restricted due to that. I have not played a TW game due to this very issue. If they were modable I would have purchased them at the outset, instead, I just hang around praying for a modable Tolkien tw to come out.