Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Conscpicuous Absence of Folkloric Aspect to Kislev - Set Up for DLC?

Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 3,413
I want to preface this by acknowledging that the RPG and previous iterations of Kislev aren't in any way reliable indicators of what we're going to get. That's pretty obvious by now.

Still, I couldn't help note that the campaign mechanics seem fairly focused on the organized religion and political matters of Kislev, and there sorta being this very specific absence of the more folkloric, backwoods-esque thing that Kislev had going for it. Concepts from the RPG, like the Ancient Widow (the almost god-like personification of Kislev itself), Witch Hags, etc.

Now, it might very simply be that these things have been written out with "NuKislev", and in its place we have the Orthodoxy and Court of Ice. It might be that the more morally ambiguous, dangerous spirits of the land are now channeled by the Ice Witches, which seems supported by them having access to the giant spirit bear and the cats, among other things.

However, I'd like to think that there is room there for a themed DLC in the future, with creepy cunning folk, Ungol foresters, creatures of myth and so on. A darker edge to the Kislevites, one that is present in the background, emanating from below, from peasants' stories and standing in opposition to the more organized, hierarchical traits of the Ice Queen and Kostaltyn. Not hostile, just... demanding its due. And refusing to die.

I dunno, it would have been fun.

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 31,171
    Keep in mind Kislev's a major core and will likely get 3 DLCs. I fully expect that aspect to be explored.

The base roster really feels like just that -a base- for more exotic stuff to be built on.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

• EarlybirdEarlybird Registered Users Posts: 916
    There will be a hag themed DLC with flying dogs, firebirds and leshiy
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 898
    edited October 18
    I really hope we will get Baba Osuleg as dlc. Or she could be flc as aditional rival for DLC Baba Yaga.
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Baba_Osuleg

She could be crazy analog of Dr.Xavier, hated by her own kind, but still trying to fight against chaos, or she could be secret Tzeentch follower within hags coven. >:)
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,986
    I hope and pray this is the case OP
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 26,676
    A Hag themed LP with all the folklore stuff would be amazing.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,630
    In Baba Jaga I trust. It's up to her to deliver chicken hut extraordinaire.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,045
    It is those aspects that more than anything else makes Kislev truly stand out. So with that in mind I’d hope that it is still part of the lore and that it will be represented.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,775
    edited October 19
    Leshy and Bies
  • T_MACCABBEET_MACCABBEE Registered Users Posts: 352
    Definitely.
    I hope they go the cathay route and be creative with kislev's background lore. For example, Cathay has a deadly river said to be the equivalent of the river styx of the underworld. It's so dangerous that it has become a rather reliable defense against chaos invaders that try to sneak into cathay through the rivers.
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian The Crystal LabyrinthRegistered Users Posts: 5,494
    jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Are Leshiy 2's even Russian though? Either way an Air gun is a pretty lame weapon. Should get some real weapons like the Stechkin. Pure Soviet Love.

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Are Leshiy 2's even Russian though? Either way an Air gun is a pretty lame weapon. Should get some real weapons like the Stechkin. Pure Soviet Love.
    Kislev is not just russia. It's a combination of slavic culture and most of eastern europe.

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Are Leshiy 2's even Russian though?
    Yes!

edited October 19
    jamreal18 said:

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Yes!

It's also present in polish folklore. The witcher 3 has a really cool interpretation of them, called leshen.

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Kislev is not just russia. It's a combination of slavic culture and most of eastern europe.

I know. It's a...nevermind.
    jamreal18 said:

Yes!

You're right apparently. EDgun's located in Russia. Makes sense. Now I know.

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,315
    I definitely hope Kislev's themes get expanded upon.

A local folklore/baba yaga/spirits type DLC would be very well received imo.

But honestly, any thematic variety of DLC would be welcome. A 'steppe peoples' DLC, an ice-elemental/monstrous units DLC (non-bear ofc), an artillery/gunpowder DLC, etc. etc.

Kislev just needs more themes expanded upon.
    edited October 19

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

I know. It's a...nevermind.
    jamreal18 said:

Yes!

You're right apparently. EDgun's located in Russia. Makes sense. Now I know.
    Hope CA creates a fantastic model for Leshy.

jamreal18 said:

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Yes!

It's also present in polish folklore. The witcher 3 has a really cool interpretation of them, called leshen.

Monsters in Witcher 3 are heavily slav influence. What other creatures do you think are potential units for Kislev?
    Valkaar said:

2 Types of DLC for Kislev.

*Grounded theme
    *Mythical theme
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,270
    In the blog of the mechanics of Kislev they already say that the only reason why the great orthodoxy and the ice court do not declare war is because they already suffer a civil war on the borders and the activity of chaos is increasing.

What I mean by this is that the conflict between ungols and godspodars is present and they are at war.
  • PLHenryPLHenry Registered Users Posts: 1,567
    Though I would love to see a DLC that dips into themes like this, its worth pointing out that we haven’t had a Lord Pack for a long time that follows a specific theme. The Lord will represent a theme but the units often don’t match it
    Valkaar said:

I definitely hope Kislev's themes get expanded upon.

A local folklore/baba yaga/spirits type DLC would be very well received imo.

But honestly, any thematic variety of DLC would be welcome. A 'steppe peoples' DLC, an ice-elemental/monstrous units DLC (non-bear ofc), an artillery/gunpowder DLC, etc. etc.

Exactly spot on with the themes. It very much feels like the current Kislev is the generic one. Perfectly set up for thematic DLCs.
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 1,544
    I could definitely see it. If after all the other fantastical elements added to Kislev we don't at least get Baba Yaga with her chicken legged hut I'm going to be livid.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,722
    I'll say this much, it's the first time something (ungol) feels intentionally left out, be it because they felt they couldn't do it justice without the folklore or specifically to be DLC
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
  • kratostatickratostatic Registered Users Posts: 664
    PLHenry said:

Though I would love to see a DLC that dips into themes like this, its worth pointing out that we haven’t had a Lord Pack for a long time that follows a specific theme. The Lord will represent a theme but the units often don’t match it

Eh? Skaven half of Twisted and Twilight seems pretty unambiguously "Clan Moulder" to me.

I'll say this much, it's the first time something (ungol) feels intentionally left out, be it because they felt they couldn't do it justice without the folklore or specifically to be DLC

I’d say the Skaven part of the Prophet and the Warlock was the best example yet of this.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,722
    RikRiorik said:

I’d say the Skaven part of the Prophet and the Warlock was the best example yet of this.
    there was still some warmachines and the like. skryre aligned stuff wasn't completely absent.
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox

RikRiorik said:

there was still some warmachines and the like. skryre aligned stuff wasn't completely absent.
    True, but Jezzails and Ratling Guns are game changers. Like going from a pretty weak range game to one of the best and in some patches the best ranged faction in the game. Nothing else compares to it.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,183

I'd say High Elves not getting the Skycutter, the Merwyrm or the Sea-Helm, three maritime themed units, despite 2 DLCs, seems quite a lot intentional too !
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 898
    jamreal18 said:

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Monsters in Witcher 3 are heavily slav influence. What other creatures do you think are potential units for Kislev?

Say it to Kikimora or Volkolak, to Cockatrice, Koshei, Chort and etc. Slavic :D They just borrowed names from folklore, thats all.
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,237
    Maelas said:

I'd say High Elves not getting the Skycutter, the Merwyrm or the Sea-Helm, three maritime themed units, despite 2 DLCs, seems quite a lot intentional too !
    I hadn't thought about that for a long time... but you are probably right. The Lost Isles of Elithis would have made perfect sense.... but now I doubt they will be on the map to be honest....

jamreal18 said:

jamreal18 said:

Leshy!

Say it to Kikimora or Volkolak, to Cockatrice, Koshei, Chort and etc. Slavic :D They just borrowed names from folklore, thats all.
    Volkolak. Interesting, in romania it's called varcolac.
  • TheWintersDragonTheWintersDragon Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited October 20
    Honestly, I think the first DLC we will get will be Norsca vs Kislev LP, I don't really have any evidence for this, save for CA themselves have said that Norsca was next on their rework to-do list.