Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Empire lacks playable factions/characters

BeargodBeargod Registered Users Posts: 91
edited October 21 in General Discussion
As sort of the central human race of warhammer, the Empire is severely lacking in terms of playable characters from tabletop. and just feels like a sidenote insignificant race.

Issues:

- Only 3playable factions (AT LEAST give Volkmar his own faction to command) while Lizardmen have 7!!
- Great character like Boris Todbringer wasted in game 1 dlc and not playable in campaign...(this can never be undone again because people payed for his dlc, so you simply cannot repackage him into another dlc pack)
- Markus Wulfhart's faction is just an expedition and not even located in the empire.
- Empire is a game 1 faction so its unlikely it will receive another dlc...(maybe only 1 if lucky)

You can say im biased because i like the empire.. But then again CA is also biased because it is very clear what their favourite factions are..(looking at you Skaven/Lizardmen).

"Be at peace, for that is all I ever want." - Karl Franz.

Comments

• User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 1,025
    Todbringer was not part of any DLC. He was added alongside the Beastmen DLC, but he wasn't included with it.
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,251
    The Empire needs more LL and starting positions. But Markus is fine, as exotic starts are always nice.

However the Vcounts have it worse. 5 characters but 4 start in the same spot.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • avvveavvve Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 373
    Agreed!

Seeing as the Empire have been the most popular race and probably will be a top contender when WH3 mortal empires v2 releases. It makes no sense that CA would stay with Empire having only four available legendary lords for a massively popular race, also main protagonist of the actual universe.

Seeing as Lizardman even have 7 legendary lords with all different starting pos. Kind of makes one wonder, is there a great plan for Empire in WH3 or are CA just not interested in making money?
  • avvveavvve Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 373
    edited October 21
    delete
    Post edited by avvve on
  • DemonRazielDemonRaziel Registered Users Posts: 148
    My guess (totally unfounded) is that the Empire will get 2 more lords - 1 DLC and 1 FLC.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Elspeth and Toddy.

Why? No particular reason, just a gut feeling. I think those lords have a ceratain monetable appeal to them and thus I feel that's what the devs will go for.

Anyways, if you disagree with this, feel free to not take it too seriously and don't lose any sleep over it (feel free to snow this post in "disagrees", though, that's what that button is here for).
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 1,304
    ArneSo said:

The empire really deserves more LLs. They should end up with 8 LLs in my opinion.

Empire is one of the factions that could end up with 10+ LLs. They have so many characters and - more importantly - so many missing units to add in that they could easily get 3 more DLCs and still have more stuff that could be added. The only other races that could feasibly reach that number without it feeling forced or dragging in literal who's would be the Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos (before they were split into God-specific factions). I hope for at least 2 more Empire DLCs.
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 2,030
    Empire has ended up where it is not because CA hates them but because circumstances has changed a lot over 5 years. Some decisions have had unforeseen consequences, for example CA only gave the Empire new wizards as FLC content, probably because they were saving Empire legendary lords for use against Chaos in the original version of Warhammer 3. But then Kislev and Cathay were added and took over the role as the main defenders against Chaos in WH3. So now there are a lot of Empire characters who have been held back and no way to add more than 1 or 2.

Toddy was probably 'wasted' because he was not a legendary character with special rules in 8th edition. ( CA's focus at that time was likely the army book characters who for the most part were Karl Franz' subordinates.) Toddy can still be made playable as an FLC or a TW Access lord, the problem is not adding him but adding the Middenland roster which would require a DLC to do well.

The problem with Markus Wulfhart is not that he is an expedition, expedition starts are simply necessary if we want more variety for a race. But rather that his DLC was a very good Markus Wulfhart DLC but a below average Empire DLC. It added only limited content to the other Empire factions.

Empire has as much chance as any WH 1 & 2 race to get DLC if not more since Empire vs Chaos is a classic matchup. The problem is the missing FLC lords which we are unlikely to get since that would hurt the sales of an Empire DLC.
  • Cosmic_LichCosmic_Lich Registered Users Posts: 305
    edited October 23
    Empire being the most popular race in the game I expect 1-2 DLCs and 1-2 FLCs by the end of the series. With GW working on The Old World I expect a lot of races to get a little something. So there might be some units we won't expect.

Edit: Not sure why I'm getting a couple disagrees. I suppose I should clarify that I think those FLCs will be Legendary Lords and not just a unit or generic lord or hero. Maybe people expect more than 1 to 2 of either DLC or FLC? I think that would be fine too.
    Post edited by Cosmic_Lich on
  • TheWintersDragonTheWintersDragon Registered Users Posts: 26
    I know it is a bit taboo to speak of her but Elspeth von Draken would make a good lord pack since not only could she would bring Celestial Hurricanum and Gold Wizard, but she also has a rivalry with Tamurkhan.

As for Boris bringer, he's in this weird situation where he's in the game but not at the same time, so you could do it two ways either make him an FLC where he has upgraded Imiks mechanics with Knight of the white wolfs but the rest of Ulric units are reskins (Iknow lazy but CA really like there reskins) or a full DLC with propper fully fleshed out Ulric Units.
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 2,030

ArneSo said:

The empire really deserves more LLs. They should end up with 8 LLs in my opinion.

Empire is one of the factions that could end up with 10+ LLs. They have so many characters and - more importantly - so many missing units to add in that they could easily get 3 more DLCs and still have more stuff that could be added. The only other races that could feasibly reach that number without it feeling forced or dragging in literal who's would be the Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos (before they were split into God-specific factions). I hope for at least 2 more Empire DLCs.
    Sheer math makes it unlikely that Empire will get more than 1 DLC. If Warhammer gets as much content as the two older games combined that would 10 lord packs with 20 DLC and 10 FLC lords. At least 12 of the DLC lords will be Cathay, Kislev or Monogod, at least 6 FLC will be from those races, probably more. That leaves 8 DLC lords to divide among 13 old races. (I assume that Beastmen, Wood Elfs and Lizardmen get no DLC) Some races will end up without DLC content, the is simply not enough slots for all.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 6,045
    edited October 21
    I agree that the Empire needs more LL, but what is wrong with Markus not starting in the Empire? Is Imrik bad for not starting on Ulthuan? Or Malus for not starting in Naggarond?

Also, what does it matter that the Empire is a Game 1 race? By this logic neither the Dwarfs or VC will ever get a DLC.
    Post edited by mecanojavi99 on
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 1,494
    Don't forget Marius Leitdorf, he is elector count of Averland and another eighth edition legendary lord

Unfortunately, CA place Gelt there
  • Data5Data5 Registered Users Posts: 252

My guess (totally unfounded) is that the Empire will get 2 more lords - 1 DLC and 1 FLC.

Why? No particular reason, just a gut feeling. I think those lords have a ceratain monetable appeal to them and thus I feel that's what the devs will go for.

Anyways, if you disagree with this, feel free to not take it too seriously and don't lose any sleep over it (feel free to snow this post in "disagrees", though, that's what that button is here for).

The problem with Elspeth and Toddy is that everyone still start in the same general area. Elspeth is in the middle of Franz and Gelt.
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,266
    Emil Balgeir with the Ulric cult stuff is something we can take for granted. The implementation of Boris Todbringer as a playable character in the campaign will accompany him.

Elspeth von Draken facing Tamurkhan is something that is taken for granted that we will see with Jubal Falk as a legendary hero and a good number of powder units so common in Nuln. This I suppose accompanied by Theodore Bruckner although I do not know what role would be more suitable for him.

I guess Valten will end up making an appearance too.
    User_Clue said:

Todbringer was not part of any DLC. He was added alongside the Beastmen DLC, but he wasn't included with it.

You had to do the goats mini-campaign to unlock Boris in multiplayer.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 3,410

I know it is a bit taboo to speak of her but Elspeth von Draken would make a good lord pack since not only could she would bring Celestial Hurricanum and Gold Wizard, but she also has a rivalry with Tamurkhan.

As for Boris bringer, he's in this weird situation where he's in the game but not at the same time, so you could do it two ways either make him an FLC where he has upgraded Imiks mechanics with Knight of the white wolfs but the rest of Ulric units are reskins (Iknow lazy but CA really like there reskins) or a full DLC with propper fully fleshed out Ulric Units.

The most straightforward thing would be to make a Middenheim-themed DLC with the Ar-Ulric as the DLC LL, and Boris as a "revamped" FLC lord, complete with artifact quests and special mechanics. I know CA is kinda obsessed with giving everyone their own starting position now, but out of all the lords in Warhammer, I really think those two can easily be a part of the same faction.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,280
    edited October 21
    I think the Empires got at least 2 LPs in them, 1 for Middenheim and one for Nuln, assuming they get a FLC lord to go with each that could get us a decent number of LLs. How long they take is a different matter, Empire vs Nurgle reenactment of Tamurkhan seems obvious for the for the first round of crossovers, but we're looking at least 4-6 DLCs before that and then probably another 6 between that and the next one.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,780
    I am, and shall always be, a partisan of Marius Leitdorf, the only Empire character who is legitimately amusing.

So he's my choice if we need a new LL.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • TheWintersDragonTheWintersDragon Registered Users Posts: 26
    Rob18446 said:

I think the Empires got at least 2 LPs in them, 1 for Middenheim and one for Nuln, assuming they get a FLC lord to go with each that could get us a decent number of LLs. How long they take is a different matter, Empire vs Nurgle reenactment of Tamurkhan seems obvious for the for the first round of crossovers, but we're looking at least 4-6 DLCs before that and then probably another 6 between that and the next one.

I agree with you there, I fi was a betting man I suspect the first DLC will be Norsca vs Kislev, 2nd would be Chaos Dwarfs, the third DLC will be ether VC or WOC vs Cathy, four would be the second campaign pack, then maybe empire.

Basing my bets on how WH2 lifecycle went, I think most FLCs will go mostly to the new factions to catch them up more quickly to the others.
  • OuglasOuglas Registered Users Posts: 38
    I'm with you on everything else OP, but Lizardmen having favoritism from CA? C'mon.

Sure, they have a lot of LL's, but how many of those have actual campaign mechanics? Just because CA threw a bunch of undercooked ideas at them doesn't make them a favorite by any means.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 26,457
    Data5 said:

The problem with Elspeth and Toddy is that everyone still start in the same general area. Elspeth is in the middle of Franz and Gelt.
    She would obviously start far away from the empire on an expedition.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • TheWattmanTheWattman Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    1. Cult of Ulric Expedition - Emil Valgier
    2. Middenland FLC - Boris Todbringer
    3. Wissenland Expedition - Jubal Falk or Elspeth von Draken
    4. Last spot between Marius Leitdorf's Averland (anti-vampire/chaos DLC) or another expedition under Kurt Helborg (knightly orders)
  • User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 1,025
    brago90 said:

User_Clue said:

You had to do the goats mini-campaign to unlock Boris in multiplayer.
    That might have been true for game 1 multilayer, but you've always been free to use him in campaign and as of game 2 he's just part of base combined game; the Beastmen DLCs are completely irrelevant
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,896
    Tbf Skaven has a lousy Warlord option and could do with a decent darkseer option.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,806
    Yeah. The Empire is sorely lacking.

They could easily get another 2-3 DLC’s with all the content they have left.

Let’s hope CA does the right thing in that department.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Domokun84Domokun84 Registered Users Posts: 206

I've subverted your expectations and hit agreed.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,344
    1) Boris can be made into a full flc lord he has bene free for everyone for a while.

2) Markus not being in the empire increases his replayability and makes him better.

3) Empire will absolutely receive another dlc. Maybe more than one.
  • YrellianYrellian Registered Users Posts: 1,964
    Yeah, Empire deserves more. There are so many cool characters that would be lovely additions to the game as LLs or LHs. Likes of Ar-Ulric, Boris, Aldebrand, Marius, Valmir, Kurt, Ludwig, Thyrus, Theodore, Valten and many others deserve a spot in this game.

His Royal Highness, Phoenix King Finubar!

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"

I used to be crazycrix, then Epic happened and I became Dubinekdubajs, which I had to change again😀
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 975
    The empire , the vampire and norsca I imagine will be in dlc for 3 . It makes sense why there was not much/little vampire and empire in 2 as there was a lack of empire influence in the area same with vampires. There’s probably going to be more presence of them in the 3rd warhammer map so I imagine we will see more of them in dlc for the 3rd game . Norsca just needs lords more than anyone being in a worse position than empire even
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 2,065
    The main problem is lack of FLC legendary lords for Empire. I can imagine Empire will get this in Warhammer 3:
    • Unique starting position for Volkmar(maybe Sudenburg?)
    • Full playable Boris Todbringer, maybe with a few cheap reskins of Ulric/Middenland units and Emil Valgier as legendary hero for him(I really doubt we need two legendary lords with focus to Ulric/Middenland units).
    • Marius Leitdorf as FLC legendary lord only for Mortal Empires campaign.
    • Kurt Helborg in lord pack with a few missing Empire units like Grand Master lord, Master Engineer hero and Celestial Hurricanum(only main Empire missing unit from 8th edition).
    Marius Leitdorf and Kurt Helborg are still main missing legendary lords from 8th edition. I think we will get them soon or later.