Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

7xxx Series AMD cards: freezes and lock ups[solution debugged by AMD - update driver]

Comments

• Kres7787Kres7787 Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Can I join the party?

I bought 7970 about 2 weeks ago and since then I started getting hard system crash/lock ups that are being mentioned here. I had more play time in Shogun 2 with various crashes, then with smooth gameplay. The pre-last patch fixed some other crashes I've been having regularly, and I had a few months of good play. Now I once again can't play the freking game.

I get a system lock up after anywhere between 5 to 60 minutes. Totally bad **** lock up. Can't do a thing. Computer restarts itself after about 10 seconds.

I thought the new patch will fix this. So it didn't! **** it!

When I get to the next high end graphic card shopping mood, I'm going to skip Radeon. Didn't used Radeon in a decade and first buy and my fav game can't be played. **** Radeon! Oh and **** AMD as well.
    Site Founder
    Strategy Informer
    http://www.strategyinformer.com
  • AlexTsoAlexTso Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Can't do anything when the screen is frozen except pressing the reset button.

My computer won't restart automatically in my case.

I am using a brand new Radeaon HD7870.

Can play the normal total war shogun 2 smoothly before buying FOTS.
  • FieldMedicFieldMedic Member Posts: 92Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Thought I'd add my name to the list of people struggling with the ATI Radeon HD 7XXX series of graphics cards. Game runs fine until I get about 5ish or so minutes into a battle and then it locks up with a loud screechy sound and I have to do a hard restart.

Some notes:

- Game seems to run fine when set to DirectX 9. This issue only seems to occur on DirectX 11.
    - All Drivers are up to date.
    - Haven't experienced this or other problems with different titles played recently.

I know that's not tons of info but it's all I could really ascertain late last night. Incidentally I highly doubt this has anything to do with power supply units. I have a Corsair TX850W running just the one GPU and the rest of the machine (which isn't any more power hungry then an average PC). I figure that should be more then enough to keep things powered up. If the unit was failing I would expect to see problems in other high demand applications which I don't.
    "It's not enough to live. You have to have something to live for" - Commander Adama
    edited March 2012
    FieldMedic wrote: »
    Thought I'd add my name to the list of people struggling with the ATI Radeon HD 7XXX series of graphics cards. Game runs fine until I get about 5ish or so minutes into a battle and then it locks up with a loud screechy sound and I have to do a hard restart.

Some notes:

- Game seems to run fine when set to DirectX 9. This issue only seems to occur on DirectX 11.
    - All Drivers are up to date.
    - Haven't experienced this or other problems with different titles played recently.

I know that's not tons of info but it's all I could really ascertain late last night. Incidentally I highly doubt this has anything to do with power supply units. I have a Corsair TX850W running just the one GPU and the rest of the machine (which isn't any more power hungry then an average PC). I figure that should be more then enough to keep things powered up. If the unit was failing I would expect to see problems in other high demand applications which I don't.

I tried in directx 9.0c mode. Still has the same issue of freezing with loud screechy sound.
    But it seems played longer than in directx 11 mode (maybe just due to luck?)
    edited March 2012
    Yeah it's possible it was luck. I actually completed my first battle using DirectX 11. It was only after the second battle that I ran into the problem. I eventually tried the the same fight I couldn't finish on DirectX 11 using DirectX 9 and it worked but it might have been just luck that it completed successfully.
    "It's not enough to live. You have to have something to live for" - Commander Adama
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,082Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited March 2012
    Let's get a few things out fo the way. Nothing atmo that has been named can fix this. It is due to sheer luck you'll be able to play longer, making you think you've got the right fix. I had that when suggesting to install older drivers. I was able to play 6 hours straight, thinking I solved it. However, after those six hours I got another lock-up.

I am getting pretty frustrated now. I bought my PC because of shogun 2. Now 2 months ago I upgraded my PC with the new graphics card for both shogun 2 and the upcoming FotS expansion. Shogun 2 worked fine, even with my new graphics card.

With the FotS patch released, I can't play both games. And not a single message from CA. Oh wait... unless you forgot to add your dxdiag.

Shogun 2 AMD optimized ? No way.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
    edited March 2012
    Are there any ways to let CA know about the issue related to AMD 7xxx series graphic cards freezing issue?
    edited March 2012
    Just had a good 2x 10 minutes of play. It was awesome.

I wonder if it will take months to fix this...
    Site Founder
    Strategy Informer
    edited March 2012
    Kres7787 wrote: »
    Just had a good 2x 10 minutes of play. It was awesome.

I wonder if it will take months to fix this...

Would not surprise me. CA is slow in releasing patch, which is a good thing. However, looking at how the desynch issue in Mp is still wildly experienced, I dont think they'll be able to solve this issue before the next patch. One can only hope.

Also, copy pasted from my first post on this thread which I recently edited:

Several things have been tried but didn't fix the Issue:- Using all of the available drivers for the AMD Radeon 7*** HD Series, one by one ( was an attempt for ppl with the AMD Radeon 7*** HD series)

- Updating Audio drivers, Updating windows

- verifying game cache

- Not a heat issue. No one seems to be having heat problems.

- Starting shogun2.exe with Windows Xp service pack 2/3 etc

- Not a Power Supply Unit Issue. it is already stated shogun 2 worked fine before the new Patch.

- Playing shogun 2 in DirectX 9 mode instead of Direct X 11

- Removing Flash and manually installing it

- New: Reinstalling the game

- New: Using Game Booster + Advanced System Care scan + Repair
    Grudge's Mods
    edited March 2012
    Thanks. Though seems to be quite a serious problem. Those hard lock ups could potentially damage something. I understand why you say it's a good thing they take their time to do a patch, but that is double the punch for us that can not play it. They broke the game for us. Hopefully it could be solved via Radeon/AMD side.

Did anybody tried reinstalling? Let's flip a coin who is going to do it.
    Site Founder
    Strategy Informer
  • n3gotiatorn3gotiator Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Thanks. Though seems to be quite a serious problem. Those hard lock ups could potentially damage something. I understand why you say it's a good thing they take their time to do a patch, but that is double the punch for us that can not play it. They broke the game for us. Hopefully it could be solved via Radeon/AMD side.

Did anybody tried reinstalling? Let's flip a coin who is going to do it.

Doesn't help.
    edited March 2012
    I tried reinstalling too btw. I am not going to try anything else until this person is sure it's the fix. And yes you are right Kres. Lock-ups can eventually damage the PC, in which I will keep CA responsible for, if the issue is on CA's end. And yes CA, it only happens with your game.
    Grudge's Mods
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for letting us know you tried it. I'm glad I wont give that a go.

At least the AI turn speed has increased a lot! So we get to do a lot in those few minutes. And we dare to complain!
    Site Founder
    Strategy Informer
    edited March 2012
    Yeah I'll likely shelve the game for now and go back to other titles until it's fixed, which is a shame because the game has a ton of potential to be exceptional judging from the little bit that I've played.
    edited March 2012
    They got to help us out!
    Site Founder
    Strategy Informer
  • EworcEworc Junior Member Posts: 21Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    being a giant total war fan I feel really sad as well, but I simply wont risk my computers wellbeing anymore so for the time being, shogun 2 will have to wait
  • Warchamp84Warchamp84 Member Posts: 91Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    as far as i have monitored(few hours) campaign map works fine, i only get problems when i do battles, Sucks because thats the whole point, i guess i too will not risk my computer for this broken game. They better fix it as more people are getting the 7970, i mean how could they not test or realize this problem.
    What as shame CA:(
  • BOTA:99BOTA:99 Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I do not know if this is the issue for all of you, but I saw the one guy with a pair of the 7000 series cards in crossfire who said he had a 750W PSU. Well I have a pair of 6990's in crossfire and went through this issue with an intensive graphics game right when the 6990's released. It took me getting a 1200W PSU to finally solve it. I was going crazy like all you guys and finally took it to a pc shop and the tech put a meter on it while I played and sure as **** it would exceed the power just for a split second, which is all it takes. I think you all may need larger PSU's and especially the dude running them in crossfire, I assure you, you will need one that large.
    You will only run into this issue with most intensive games. So that weighs into it too.
    edited March 2012
    @BOTA. Meh. But doesn't explain why one of the Lock-ups happened on medium graphic settings ( It was my final test to see if it fixed the issue). 7990 Radeon HD + 750 Watt PSU.

I am not going to spend so much money on a PSU, which might fix this issue. Neither does it explain why Shogun 2 worked fine on Ultra, pre-FotS. Also with the 7990 Radeon HD

I suggest no one to buy a better PSU until CA has given a comment on this issue.
    Grudge's Mods
    edited March 2012
    @BOTA.

I doubt it is an issue related to PSU as I play other highly graphics intensive games like BF3, crysis 2 and even shogun 2 before FotS DLC with my HD7870 smoothly and without any problems yet.

I even tried to run furmark for more than an hour without any issue so far. Furmark draws much more wattage than any other applications/games.

So i doubt it is related to PSU issue. So far seems all the people who came across this freeze bug are using Radeon HD7XXX series cards, even run on low setting and uncheck all the graphics settings still has this issue.
  • Nicklaus CANicklaus CA Creative Assembly Posts: 2,138CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited March 2012
    Hi, we're aware of the issue and are looking into it. In the meantime, please feel free to contact AMD and see if there is anything they can do to get the problem resolve on their end.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quick solutions to common FotS problems :
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/35425-PLEASE-READ-Common-issues-for-FotS-and-how-to-solve-them-(Updated-26-03-2012)
    edited March 2012
    Nicklaus wrote: »
    Hi, we're aware of the issue and are looking into it. In the meantime, please feel free to contact AMD and see if there is anything they can do to get the problem resolve on their end.
    Great to hear about that! Hope to have the fix soon and thanks for CA hardwork!
    edited March 2012
    That's good news Nicklaus! Thanks for letting us know.

Here's a contact form from AMD site: http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/ we oughta start reporting that in yeah
    Site Founder
    Strategy Informer
  • n3gotiatorn3gotiator Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    BOTA:99 wrote: »
    I do not know if this is the issue for all of you, but I saw the one guy with a pair of the 7000 series cards in crossfire who said he had a 750W PSU. Well I have a pair of 6990's in crossfire and went through this issue with an intensive graphics game right when the 6990's released. It took me getting a 1200W PSU to finally solve it. I was going crazy like all you guys and finally took it to a pc shop and the tech put a meter on it while I played and sure as **** it would exceed the power just for a split second, which is all it takes. I think you all may need larger PSU's and especially the dude running them in crossfire, I assure you, you will need one that large.
    You will only run into this issue with most intensive games. So that weighs into it too.

As I said, I picked up a 1250w but haven't installed it yet. However, a good quality 750W is enough to run two 7970s, and would not be enough to run 6990 cf. 6990 is far more power hungry than a 7970 (125W at peak).
    edited March 2012
    A few more notes from testing last night:

- Crashing seems based on the length of time in a battle. If you can finish a battle quickly enough you might avoid the crash. However actions within the battle don't seem to hasten a crash or delay it.

- I don't believe the crashing is the result of any one setting in the graphics options.

- DirectX 9 seems stable for 'me' but it could just take longer to crash. I do know I was able to complete the entire first Historical battle (FoTS) without incident using DirectX 9. Incidentally the same battle would crash each time on DirectX 11 shortly after the AI sent in it's first wave of Cavalry.
  • AnarchywolfAnarchywolf Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Hi guys i have the same issue with GeForce GTX 460 ... this happens only when i play with DX11 settings..

When i switch to DX9 from the settings in the game, everything works fine. Always. I have played around 500 hours ... so this is for sure...

I hope this is resolved soon....
    One of the 2%
    edited March 2012
    FieldMedic wrote: »
    A few more notes from testing last night:

- Crashing seems based on the length of time in a battle. If you can finish a battle quickly enough you might avoid the crash. However actions within the battle don't seem to hasten a crash or delay it.

- I don't believe the crashing is the result of any one setting in the graphics options.

- DirectX 9 seems stable for 'me' but it could just take longer to crash. I do know I was able to complete the entire first Historical battle (FoTS) without incident using DirectX 9. Incidentally the same battle would crash each time on DirectX 11 shortly after the AI sent in it's first wave of Cavalry.

In my experience it isnt decided by length of battle.. it has happened within 2 minutes. It is however much more prone to happen during battles as others mention. It did happen to me once in the campaign map though
    edited March 2012
    Nicklaus wrote: »

Really glad to see that you are aware. Let's hope the solution isnt far away then :)
    edited March 2012
    http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/17268/total-war-shogun-2-crashing-reported-by-users
    A poll was also added to see how many people actually have crashing problems. It seems that most do not.
    Site Founder
    Strategy Informer
    edited March 2012
    http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/17268/total-war-shogun-2-crashing-reported-by-users
    A poll was also added to see how many people actually have crashing problems. It seems that most do not.

Is it related to adobe flash player? Will uninstall the flash player helps?
This discussion has been closed.