Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

My honest thoughts on Tzeentch

ChosenOfXokhaChosenOfXokha Registered Users Posts: 49
Well, I said before that I would withhold judgment on the Tzeentch faction until I saw the whole roster. Now that it is here, what do I think?

Honestly? I have no idea. I am all at once excited, bemused, and disappointed. But perhaps that was Tzeentch's plan all along.

I think the demons look amazing, I think the faction mechanics fit with Tzeentch being the mischievous troll that he is, and I am sure Kairos' own mechanics will suit him well.

And yet... I feel like there is a hole in the roster and that hole is the warriors that are well... not there. What I mean is that I feel this roster does not have sustainability, even with the barriers that the units have. There are no hold the line units within it.

And yet what irks me the most is the reskin issue. Yes, I know the subject has been done to death but bear with me for a moment. Now from what I always thought, animations were always the most expensive part to consider when creating units (consider the whole Jabberslythe issue with the Beastmen). Yet with the Chaos Warriors, the animations were already there, so the only need was to change how they looked. I mean, look at the Cultist of Tzeentch, they have a unique look that fits well with the faction, why couldn't the same have been done for the warriors?

Do I think the issue will be addressed by CA, especially with the extra time they now have due to the delay? Maybe. But that is probably more a hopeful aspiration on my part than anything else. Which is a shame since all of the other factions shown thus far (Cathay, Kislev, and Khone) have been nothing short of amazing. I just hope the remaining factions (Nurgle, Slaanesh, and the Pre-order race) do not have the same issues as I feel Tzeentch does. Only time will tell I suppose.

Comments

• MagmusMagmus Registered Users Posts: 37
    Modeling is also very expensive if it's not the most expensive part of games. To make this change you have to remodel all the clothes and equipment after that you have to take the original version of the troop animation, separate the connection between the skeleton and the clothes and then put on the new clothes, put the two together and look at each second of animation to make sure nothing has to be changed in the animation. Considering all of this, the fact that they don't know if there's going to be time is acceptable
  • ChosenOfXokhaChosenOfXokha Registered Users Posts: 49
    Magmus said:

Modeling is also very expensive if it's not the most expensive part of games. To make this change you have to remodel all the clothes and equipment after that you have to take the original version of the troop animation, separate the connection between the skeleton and the clothes and then put on the new clothes, put the two together and look at each second of animation to make sure nothing has to be changed in the animation. Considering all of this, the fact that they don't know if there's going to be time is acceptable

That makes sense.
  • GeneralConfusionGeneralConfusion Registered Users Posts: 1,063
    Why do you think missing Warriors is an 'issue' as opposed to a deliberate design choice? It looks to me like Tzeentch is very deliberately designed to be a faction built around closely controlling engagements, taking full advantage of regenating shields by cycle-charging and skirmishing, and avoiding front-line grinds at all costs. The lack of Chaos Warriors, in that context, seems very much like a purposeful choice.

Now obviously you can dislike the faction because you don't like that playstyle, but it looks to me like CA has made a stylistic decision here and I would honestly be surprised if they went back on it.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 4,882

It looks to me like Tzeentch is very deliberately designed to be a faction built around closely controlling engagements

Because regardless of the God, Tzeentch is first and foremost a CHAOS Faction.

By design all of them have their own take on Chaos Warriors. Chaos Warriors are iconic to Chaos and literally the main point of monogods split in 4 is to play with each interpretation of the Chaos Warriors
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 2,868
    Good post OP, hear hear
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 32,288
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

#JusticeForCathay

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster