Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

China bans all games, fortnite was shut off today, is three kingdoms 2 worth there time?

topmarkmstopmarkms Registered Users Posts: 5
edited November 2021 in Total War General Chat
i wonder if they will scrap some plans
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• ASyrianASyrian Registered Users Posts: 1,053
    Maybe the ppl will now get: they are slaves
  • gladonosgladonos Registered Users Posts: 767
    ASyrian said:

Maybe the ppl will now get: they are slaves

Better be careful saying stuff like that.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 7,590
    Did they really?
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 32,124
    Incoming people frothing at the mouth to insert their political opinions about China on a game forum.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,985
    and this should be 3 k fourm
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,411
    China’s banned ‘all’ video games? So no one in China is currently playing any games?
  • HedonistHoundHedonistHound Registered Users Posts: 7,778
    How is this relevant to Warhammer? Go to the 3K forum
    Better still go to some low IQ political forum.

How is this relevant to Warhammer? Go to the 3K forum

It's not relevant there either.

Politics is explicitly against the rules of the forum. Rules which can be found in my handy signature.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster

saweendra said:
    Mind posting the article behind the paywall?

Forum Terms & Conditions

• YurisusukiYurisusuki Somewhere in LustriaRegistered Users Posts: 693
    Ah yeah, because 3 kingdoms will be exclusive for Chinese people?
    Delenda Est

• EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,879
    This doesn't belong here, and the answer is yes. I really want 3k2, as long as it is much better than 3k1
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

• epic_162578572945FgdWSzpepic_162578572945FgdWSzp Registered Users Posts: 795
    so to be clear and fair. i believe op is referring to cathay as 3 kingdoms 2, which i think is dumb personally but thats my understanding. as for what china is doing with video games, they are severely restricting online gaming, on the whole this wouldnt matter for a game like total war unless you want to claim restricting online games will lead in the future to restricting offline games
  • FedevdFedevd Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 172
    As I know China limits MMorgs to two hours a week. It was done to prevent youths from becoming a despicable gamers without professions and jobs. I support such China's step.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,927
    They banned school night online only gameplay for children under the age of 18, meaning weekdays, and expanded their banned listing.

Tyrannical horseshit? Yes. To say they banned all games is pointless hyperbole though. Don't have to like Chinese politics, no one does, but don't **** to make your point. Hell you shouldn't even need to stoop to that level.
    edited November 2021
    Fedevd said:

As I know China limits MMorgs to two hours a week. It was done to prevent youths from becoming a despicable gamers without professions and jobs. I support such China's step.

I don't typically engage in direct banter on these forums, but this has to be the least intelligent statement ever put to text. "Despicable gamers", as if the simple act of playing games is effective character witness. Your statement assumes that anyone playing games will lack a profession, yet I can point to billions of the worlds populace playing games everyday for any length of time, and only a fraction would be considered unemployed. You have no way of demonstrating that video games forced unemployment in any metric either. None of those meeting the unemployment condition would be children, not unless the deplorable act of child labor is an expectation, and you have no way of demonstrating that youths develop worse because of games. In fact most studies would agree games can serve as supplemental education. Provoking hand eye coordination, logic and reasoning, and drastically increasing the average read speed.

saweendra said:
    Mind posting the article behind the paywall?
    just click later
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
    Helhound said:

Fedevd said:

I don't typically engage in direct banter on these forums, but this has to be the least intelligent statement ever put to text. "Despicable gamers", as if the simple act of playing games is effective character witness. Your statement assumes that anyone playing games will lack a profession, yet I can point to billions of the worlds populace playing games everyday for any length of time, and only a fraction would be considered unemployed. You have no way of demonstrating that video games forced unemployment in any metric either. None of those meeting the unemployment condition would be children, not unless the deplorable act of child labor is an expectation, and you have no way of demonstrating that youths develop worse because of games. In fact most studies would agree games can serve as supplemental education. Provoking hand eye coordination, logic and reasoning, and drastically increasing the average read speed.
    If you live in a country where Fortine produce supplemental education, logic, reasoning and drastically increasing the average read speed then I agree with you. But China is not such type of a country. China's education system is one of the best in the World. They try to grow up really educated humans.
    The childhood and teenager age is the time when humans assimilate information the best of all. Schools, colleges and universities try hard to place as much information as they can into a kids in a limited time. It is a disaster for the kid's future if the kid spends many hours a week in games instead of studing or taking part in sports, different journeys or do any other usefull things. Gamer would be in a much worser position when he would grow up then a guy who never played pc games. Games are good only to kill the time it is not even good for relaxation.
  • ERICdbsERICdbs CataloniaRegistered Users Posts: 637
    If playing games is despicable, and no better than wasting time, then how would you define spending any amount of time writing in a video game's forum? Wouldn't that be the epitome of debauchery?

Why are you wasting your time here, Fedevd, instead of working, raising a family and doing good for your country?
    ERICdbs said:

If playing games is despicable, and no better than wasting time, then how would you define spending any amount of time writing in a video game's forum? Wouldn't that be the epitome of debauchery?

Why are you wasting your time here, Fedevd, instead of working, raising a family and doing good for your country?

And why people drink alcohol, visit night clubs, smoke?! Because they are not ideal. This does not mean that all of listed things are good.
  • summertimelovinsummertimelovin Registered Users Posts: 504
    Fedevd said:

ERICdbs said:

And why people drink alcohol, visit night clubs, smoke?! Because they are not ideal. This does not mean that all of listed things are good.
    They probably got those vices because they didn't have a great childhood. Perhaps too much forced education, unrealistic expectations others placed on them and very little time to themselves.
    Fedevd said:

Helhound said:

Fedevd said:

If you live in a country where Fortine produce supplemental education, logic, reasoning and drastically increasing the average read speed then I agree with you. But China is not such type of a country. China's education system is one of the best in the World. They try to grow up really educated humans.
    The childhood and teenager age is the time when humans assimilate information the best of all. Schools, colleges and universities try hard to place as much information as they can into a kids in a limited time. It is a disaster for the kid's future if the kid spends many hours a week in games instead of studing or taking part in sports, different journeys or do any other usefull things. Gamer would be in a much worser position when he would grow up then a guy who never played pc games. Games are good only to kill the time it is not even good for relaxation.
    Right we have now veered wildly out of scope for the forums, locked or sent to off topic incoming, but I'll bite one more time. There is a conversation to be had here. Even if this is the wrong place for it.

Fortnite is cherry picking an example to suit your needs, especially when what you are referring to is the games industry as a whole. The OP specifically called it out so I'll take it in good faith though. If the rule start and stopped at banning Fortnite, I would merely think it a comical over reach but ultimately harmless. We aren't talking about Fortnite though, we're talking regulating how individuals spend their own time, and whether games as a whole can be productive ways to do so.

Problem with the first point, how China's specific educational structure allows time for play, is assuming that China has one of the "best education systems in the world." No it doesn't. Only a nationalist would ever assert that their nation is at the top of the food chain, when in reality it exists within the social shades of gray. To claim best in the world you'd need defined metrics for what is best. Reading comprehension? Logic and deductive reasoning? How about government and economics? Trade education? Is education defined by how readily available it is to the public, or by the failure metric of the education? The problem with gauging success of any institution across any society is the gauge changes from each society. Are there pros and cons to each? Yes. Can the pros and cons out weigh each other? Yes. But assuming you aren't a nationalist, a symptom of social contagion hell bent on bringing down progress, you don't lead off by asserting simply "best" instead of "best at x".

You are correct in saying the developmental years are a key time for every functional adult. They're called the developmental years for a reason. You are also correct in saying that we have an obligation to provide children with as many opportunities as possible growing up. Games can be a critical part of that. Even if you don't agree that games can serve as educational instruments, the balance between work and play is a measurable part of health and welfare. A mind engages better when it is allowed to recover.

Now again, if all you see when I say games is Fortnite then this is already a pointless discussion. But that isn't all that games are. I can teach a three act narrative structure, the traditional heroes journey native to most literature composition, as well as the intricacies of a meta-narrative using Disco Elysium as a text. I can teach deductive reasoning and expression with Return of the Obra-Din. I could cite Hellblade, when engaging with psychology, sociology, and critically engaged learning. I know this, because I've done exactly that. And people are much more engaged to learn when they also enjoy the text. I taught my daughter her multiplication tables with an interactive tablet game when she was still in pre-school. I walked my son through Mythology by building a wiki set up in the exact same fashion as any games wiki and he enjoyed the reading.

Games are art, but they are also science, and a tool. Like any tool, it can be used to great effect to further practically any goal. Fitness counters on peoples watches are games. Scoreboards for production quotas in a warehouse are just games. You account for what is quality time spent with a game through individual guidance, not social regulation. No government could ever account for the minds of every one of their people. No government regulation could fit every scenario. The onus to do something productive with game architecture is on the individual. Sweeping enforcement will only interfere and diminish.

Barring everything else I just put down, there's also the not so insignificant matter of regulating how an individual spends their own private time. That's a whole other subject, but suffice to say I'm in the "what I do with me is my decision" camp. I extend these same liberties to children. I've found if you simply point them at a subject, they'll dive in on their own accord.

Fedevd said:

ERICdbs said:

They probably got those vices because they didn't have a great childhood. Perhaps too much forced education, unrealistic expectations others placed on them and very little time to themselves.
    Those who had a great childhood without forced education, unlrealistic expectations and had unlimited time for themselves have listed vices even more often.
    Fedevd said:

Helhound said:

Fedevd said:

Is it fantasy you have interest in?
  • epic_162578572945FgdWSzpepic_162578572945FgdWSzp Registered Users Posts: 795
    Fedevd said:

ERICdbs said:

Even if I agreed that video games were comparable to smoking, I wouldn't want the government to enforce that. I'm not authoritarian, I like freedom.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,251
    This is a guy who's blowing up a matter quite alot.

China is hammering down on online gaming. Not offline games.

Fortnite was in a test phase, wether its closed there because of the government or otherwise is not known.
    The independence article did say fortnite never took off in china (in popularity).

Right now young people is only allowed 3 hours per week to play ONLINE games. (might be offline too, im not sure).

But adult people is not regulated.

And single player games is sold in china like before as long as they pass the strict requirements.
This discussion has been closed.