Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Hats for Chaos dwarfs?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Hats for Chaos dwarfs? 121 votes

Yes, hats on every chaos dwarf head (except infernal gaurd
66%
NiggeyPr4vdasykallSerkeleteomatMaedrethnirOmegaJakWing ZeroWalkaboutMalruirladymissfitMr_Finley7DaGangsterTennisgolfbollArbitraryDwarfASAMooncakeAbmongScionOfTheEmperoroliverpmason 80 votes
Yes, but just for lords and heroes
33%
davedave1124JGreenPappa_FraIceDHondlisdodge33cymruKrocodileKrew212DarioxMogwai_ManFinishingLastRJCPSgates1ebdAWizard_LizardOdTengriduglandtotoSirSunlightPoorManatee6197martijn_v99ReeksCaesarSahlertz 41 votes

Comments

• VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 2,713
    You may as well ask if beards are necessary for the dawi!
  • Yes, but just for lords and heroes
  • Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 1,717
    Worth noting in the FW rerelease all the artillery crew (e.g. everyone not Infernal Guard) had big hats, just not quite as big as in 5th Ed (same for the characters).

I think that’s the happy median - fancy hats for all, but not 5th Ed level oversized ones (other than maybe a few characters).
  • HighPriest_AstragothHighPriest_Astragoth Registered Users Posts: 633

We can Hat if we want to
    We can leave your slaves behind
    'Cause your slaves don't Hat’
    And if they don't Hat
    Well, they're no slaves of mine
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
  • PPerunPPerun Registered Users Posts: 352
    Mattock said:

Anyone know how to edit a poll, if you accidentally posted before the final option? In case someone was stupid enough to do that

Its perfect as it is
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,612
    What's a Chaos Dwarf without a hat?
  • NiggeyNiggey Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 195
    I heard Chaos Dwarfs are born with hats
  • duglandtotoduglandtoto Registered Users Posts: 443
    One option missing
    (yes for some units) so somewhere in the middle,

I want the hat for the most important units and badass helmet with red eyes for standard units.

Ala Guild Wars

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 35,258

One option missing
    (yes for some units) so somewhere in the middle,

I want the hat for the most important units and badass helmet with red eyes for standard units.
    Ala Guild Wars

They look like Jawas…

Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 2,947
    Go hat or go home.
  • HondlisHondlis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,557
    I never got this obsession with tall helmets. I take it as a relic from warhammer funky times which has a little place in modern versions.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,433
    hats are manditory
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,439
    Tall hats are good.
  • MrDragonMrDragon Registered Users Posts: 3,455
    Warhammer is a setting with plenty of charm and goofiness mixed in with all the more depressing or grim aspects. The Chaos Dwarf hats are a source of goofy charm, I love those hats.
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 1,168
    A mixture of both would be my ideal pick, I don't think I'd leave it for just lords and heroes but I also think adding the newer designs in addition to the old stuff would bring some needed variety into the army's aesthetic.
  • YellowTreeYellowTree Registered Users Posts: 347
    edited November 2021
    Hondlis said:

I never got this obsession with tall helmets. I take it as a relic from warhammer funky times which has a little place in modern versions.

Get the stake and bushels ready. It’s time for a heretic bbq.
    MrDragon said:

Warhammer is a setting with plenty of charm and goofiness mixed in with all the more depressing or grim aspects. The Chaos Dwarf hats are a source of goofy charm, I love those hats.

Ahh a man of culture, you get to light the bbq good sir.
    Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

I agree with that, though I dont think the chaos dwarfs should look goofy. I dont think they were meant to either, during their design phase there was poor communication between the lead designer and the model sculptors, where he was asking for bigger hats to look Mesopotamian, but he hadn't actually seen the hats the sculptors had already made, so they ended up being huge and they ran with it.

That being said forge world did a great job taking that forward and made the hats less goofy by turning them into status symbols, or making them much smaller. I see it like having an army full of soldiers wearing crowns or catholic crusading armies all wearing mitres in battle. It makes the ostentatious hats for lords look goofy if everyone has them.
    I'm aware of the history but that's not relevant. We got those hats in 4th edition, they ran with them, they're now part of the metaphorical dna of the chaos dwarfs.
    Besides, Chaos Dwarfs are plenty terrifying despite the hats, that's what's amazing about them.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 7,432

We can Hat if we want to
    We can leave your slaves behind
    'Cause your slaves don't Hat’
    And if they don't Hat
    Well, they're no slaves of mine

Sir, you have won the forum for today.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2021
    Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

I agree with that, though I dont think the chaos dwarfs should look goofy. I dont think they were meant to either, during their design phase there was poor communication between the lead designer and the model sculptors, where he was asking for bigger hats to look Mesopotamian, but he hadn't actually seen the hats the sculptors had already made, so they ended up being huge and they ran with it.

That being said forge world did a great job taking that forward and made the hats less goofy by turning them into status symbols, or making them much smaller. I see it like having an army full of soldiers wearing crowns or catholic crusading armies all wearing mitres in battle. It makes the ostentatious hats for lords look goofy if everyone has them.
    I'm aware of the history but that's not relevant. We got those hats in 4th edition, they ran with them, they're now part of the metaphorical dna of the chaos dwarfs.
    Besides, Chaos Dwarfs are plenty terrifying despite the hats, that's what's amazing about them.
    Not really, they just never got updated like other factions, and when they did in legions of Azgorh, the artwork only showed hats on lords and heroes. The warriors are shown with masked helmets.

I agree they are a part of the design of the faction, and they should be kept but used sparingly. As ostentacious signs of superiority they're great, but when everyone has them it looks silly. If every empire state troop had ostentatious plooms on their helmet like reiksguard knights then the army would look goofy. Maybe you want goofy, but they moved away from chaos dwarfs as being goofy a while ago.

But if you reserve it for just knights and lords then they look great. Same with hats.

You disagreed, then undermined and then agreed with me in the exact same post about it being part of their design.
    Reiksguard plumes being an equivalent is just your personal interpretation.

Just because the Legion's infantry didn't have them, which is a very specific subfaction of Chaos Dwarfs, doesn't mean the entire empire follows the same model.

Besides, I explicitly said "metaphorical DNA" and the thing about DNA is that not all of it is expressed all the time (or living things wouldn't be alive) but it's there. It has history and precedent, regardless of it being an eccentricity born from miscommunication.
    I just want that history carried forward outside of the Infernal Guard. Now not all hats need to be equally tall or decorated, but they need to be tall enough to be part of the iconic look that's so beloved (and also reviled by others) in my opinion.
  • OrontesOrontes Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 622
    Where's the big hats look stupid option?
  • Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 1,717
    MrDragon said:

Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

Not really, they just never got updated like other factions, and when they did in legions of Azgorh, the artwork only showed hats on lords and heroes. The warriors are shown with masked helmets.

I agree they are a part of the design of the faction, and they should be kept but used sparingly. As ostentacious signs of superiority they're great, but when everyone has them it looks silly. If every empire state troop had ostentatious plooms on their helmet like reiksguard knights then the army would look goofy. Maybe you want goofy, but they moved away from chaos dwarfs as being goofy a while ago.

But if you reserve it for just knights and lords then they look great. Same with hats.

You disagreed, then undermined and then agreed with me in the exact same post about it being part of their design.

Just because the Legion's infantry didn't have them, which is a very specific subfaction of Chaos Dwarfs, doesn't mean the entire empire follows the same model.

Besides, I explicitly said "metaphorical DNA" and the thing about DNA is that not all of it is expressed all the time (or living things wouldn't be alive) but it's there. It has history and precedent, regardless of it being an eccentricity born from miscommunication.
    I just want that history carried forward outside of the Infernal Guard. Now not all hats need to be equally tall or decorated, but they need to be tall enough to be part of the iconic look that's so beloved (and also reviled by others) in my opinion.

Indeed. Also, even in the new FW models some of the artillery crew had hats

https://images.app.goo.gl/ssUNGngLdLUufYmf8
    @Mattock I mean, yeah, it's all preference.
    I just didn't understand you saying I was wrong, then adding a qualifier before saying I was right, unless you misinterpreted what I was saying. Because you do not deny the historical precedent, which is what I was talking about.
    As for recent renditions: we haven't had anything aside from the Legion in a loooong time and the Legion is already vintage at this point.
    So we have the Chaos Dwarf Empire style from 4th edition and a sub-faction specifically not given the main faction name in recent years. I'm not saying one is more relevant than the other, there's pros and cons to both as the main guideline.

Generally I agree that there's a "less is more" philosophy that ought to be applied but the WHFB High Elves get to have ridiculous hats (yes I'm saying helmets like those of Dragon Princes or Tyrion or Silverhelms or even basic spearmen silly), especially in the most recent incarnation of the Lumineth with even sillier hats.

If elves get to have dumb hats and helmets then dwarfs should be entitled to them too.

Basically, aside from personal preference we never disagreed.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 5,618
    I mean... the modern chaos dwarfs have some very very nice hats:

• oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 2,947
    Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

Mattock said:

MrDragon said:

My point was that they didn't go all in on the hats in the more recent editions. They were pulling back on the hats but did get rid of them entirely, but instead used them for sorcerers and leaders of the bull centaurs. Its an older design choice that's adapted into a smaller but more prevalent role and that's my point.

The entire discussion us personal preference, but I think my point that making ostentatious armour details super prevalent changes them alot. If every high elf spearmen had wing plumes then it makes wing plumes look silly instead of a sign of authority or religious standing. There are a few more examples I could give but hopefully you see my point. And I can see what you mean with DNA but that's alot to get from just saying metaphorical DNA, but really you're saying it's the classic design you want to see carried forward as much as possible, whereas I'm saying they should stick to thier more recent art representations.

When it comes to the Legion of azgorh warriors being the ones not using hats, then maybe you're right but GW don't really make thar much of a difference for base troops between subfactions. There's differences yeah, but nothing that drastic, and seeing as they're the most recent chaos dwarf warrior design provided then the point still stands.
    Your preference is bad and you should feel bad!
  • KrocodileKrew212KrocodileKrew212 Registered Users Posts: 312
    I'd prefer as few hats as possible. To me, 4e Chaos Dwarfs just look ridiculous.
    Team Ogre Kingdoms

"We threatened to grind their bones up to make bread if they didn't pay. Course that's just a threat - it takes too long to grind 'em and most of this lot are just as 'appy to eat'em raw." -- Olag Skullcracker, Ogre Tyrant
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,612
    Orontes said:

Where's the big hats look stupid option?

This one gets fed to the hell cannon first.