Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Am I in the wrong here that we should at least *see* the intended combined map before release?

13»

Comments

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,553

Nyxilis said:

Immortal Empires should get a lot more attention.

Regardless of the quality of it, I think really the main crux is how much it will encompass, that's what people are truly wondering. I don't think people are clamoring to make sure craftmanship of it is good (for example objects clipping badly or something on the campaign map or badly routed roads or something)
    I say scope goes into quality. They know full well people want the world. The hacked off parts of Lustria and other continents.

But people also do want quality. ME first landing.. was not great. I do not want a return to some of the issues.
  • neverendingneverending Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,922
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Immortal Empires should get a lot more attention.

Regardless of the quality of it, I think really the main crux is how much it will encompass, that's what people are truly wondering. I don't think people are clamoring to make sure craftmanship of it is good (for example objects clipping badly or something on the campaign map or badly routed roads or something)
    I say scope goes into quality. They know full well people want the world. The hacked off parts of Lustria and other continents.

But people also do want quality. ME first landing.. was not great. I do not want a return to some of the issues.
    I don't either.. I'm expecting a not so smooth landing though. Hope I'm wrong
    5900x @ stock , 4x8gb 3600mhz 14-16-16-36
    ASUS TUF 3080 12 GB
    4TB Sabrent NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,051
    edited November 2021
    And the pre order bonus like Ogres is actually irrelevant. It's only one race out of 20. And getting Ogres first and Chaos Dwarves later, or the opposite, wouldn't change much.

The combined map however is where the complete game could be played, with all the races. Game 3 is only 30 % of the whole game.

So to that regard, the combined map is 3 times more important than the Game 3 campaign.

CA may label it a FLC... but it requires buying the 3 games to play it.

So I think the players deserve to know more about it. Of course we could all wait to know it before buying game 3 if we have serious doubt.... But then there's the risk game 3 is a flop.

CA could at least show the map extent, without going into details about how many regions there are.

There's a risk people are disapointed by it, and don't buy Game 3 because of that. Not really greater than people delaying to get Game 3 because the combined map is very important for them and they wan't to know it before buying.

But if CA wait and people are disapointed by it after buying game 3, before knowing the map, CA will get an even worse reputation drop, as people will complain then have been tricked to buy the game with a promise of a very large full combined map which was not delivered.

So I think CA may have more to lose on the long run by waiting too long to preview.

If the map is "good", showing it early will promote sales, players won't hesitate as much to buy Game 3 at release, and even more when finally released.

If it is "bad", players may not buy Game 3, but players who are focused more on the game 3 and don't care that much would still buy it. Some may skip the game, but wouldn't they wait for the reveal anyway?

• kaiki_utokyokaiki_utokyo Registered Users Posts: 197
    To be honest, I consider modifiying races/factions in Game Ⅰ and Ⅱ into Game Ⅲ as a lot of work awaits. So it would be fine to me if CA really refines the old contents into Game Ⅲ.
  • BloodydaggerBloodydagger Registered Users Posts: 3,953
    Damage control. If you don't reveal anything there will be minimum disappointed. They don't want to ruin WH3 release hype.

• LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,484
    i'd want to see the full combined map as soon as its ready, but i can also wait until after WH3 is released.
    Kelefane said:

Damage control. If you don't reveal anything there will be minimum disappointed. They don't want to ruin WH3 release hype.

I disagree. Not revealing could also lead to exarated expectation, and so bigger désappointement at the end.
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2021
    Considering the geography of the world and how cut the base game 3 map already is, curb your expectations. It will probably be Mortal Empires with the Eastern portion of the world from the game 3 map attached to the right.

I really don't see CA putting half of Cathai in the map dedicated to the game 3 factions, and then going out of their way to add the other half all the way to the ocean for the combined map. If they were making all of Cathai for the combined map, they would also use it on the game 3 map. The strange curve they gave to the game 3 map also suggests in order to add the rest of Cathai at a later date with DLC they would need to expand the map more diagonally to the north-east (rather than just add another piece of land to the right), which seems very impractical and therefore likely not in their intentions.

Same goes for Ind, Nippon etc, if they're completely out in the game 3 map it means currently CA really has no plans to implement them, so they have no reason to put them on the combined map either.
  • neverendingneverending Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,922

If it is "bad", players may not buy Game 3, but players who are focused more on the game 3 and don't care that much would still buy it. Some may skip the game, but wouldn't they wait for the reveal anyway?

At the end of hte day, I think CA is treating ME2 like ME1. I don't think it's exactly the same. This is the last map. The big chungus. CA has never added landmass that wasn't a fog to a TWW map. We need/want it to be great and gargantuan (far better than ME1 essentially).

To be honest, I consider modifiying races/factions in Game Ⅰ and Ⅱ into Game Ⅲ as a lot of work awaits. So it would be fine to me if CA really refines the old contents into Game Ⅲ.

Kelefane said:

This could be at least a part of it: I can imagine a marketing guy getting cold sweats imagining youtubers making videos about how constricted and unambitious ME2.0 when they'd far rather youtubers be making some video about the latest nurgle mechanics reveal or something.

Considering the geography of the world and how cut the base game 3 map already is, curb your expectations. It will probably be Mortal Empires with the Eastern portion of the world from the game 3 map attached to the right.

I really don't see CA putting half of Cathai in the map dedicated to the game 3 factions, and then going out of their way to add the other half all the way to the ocean for the combined map. If they were making all of Cathai for the combined map, they would also use it on the game 3 map. The strange curve they gave to the game 3 map also suggests in order to add the rest of Cathai at a later date with DLC they would need to expand the map more diagonally to the north-east (rather than just add another piece of land to the right), which seems very impractical and therefore likely not in their intentions.

Same goes for Ind, Nippon etc, if they're completely out in the game 3 map it means currently CA really has no plans to implement them, so they have no reason to put them on the combined map either.

Yes, I'm expecting the same thing really. It's easy to imagine CA knows alot of people won't like this (specifically the people more interested in ME2 than TWW3), and doesn't see a good reason from their interests to reveal that and get negative reactions when they only want people to focus on reasons to buy TWW3.

My main problem with this is I still don't htink that's right because ogre kingdoms is very relevant to people who want the main map: We're mostly going to be playing on the big map a year from now, including ogre kingdoms (unless TWW3's map has some truly fun mechanic that ME2.0 lacks). The preorder bonus and all the TWW3 content will be on the big map. They're unavoidably intertwined to the long term future of TWW in general.
    5900x @ stock , 4x8gb 3600mhz 14-16-16-36
    ASUS TUF 3080 12 GB
    4TB Sabrent NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit

At the end of hte day, I think CA is treating ME2 like ME1. I don't think it's exactly the same. This is the last map. The big chungus. CA has never added landmass that wasn't a fog to a TWW map. We need/want it to be great and gargantuan (far better than ME1 essentially).
    fine to me if CA really refines the old contents into Game Ⅲ.

Yes, but they can't just expand ME1 with the few remaining fog, there is barely enough space for Chaos Dwarves. So they need a NEW map.
    It may not cover the whole world at launch, but we can see if it has fog for future expansion.
    For example, it could start with only half Cathay, but fog on the east to add the Sea Dragon children later.