Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Greater demons as a monster unit?

GharganGhargan Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 24
Hey everyone,

Maybe I need an update on the lore, but it seemed to me that greater demons were powerful and rare entities, fit to lead an army. But now we get those as a "simple" monster unit?

So we can have an Unclean One leading 19 copies of itself? Seems strange to me. Also, we need human cultists :smile:

Tagged:

Comments

• LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 5,005
    They work as both if I hear correctly

• AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,732
    Ghargan said:

Hey everyone,

Maybe I need an update on the lore, but it seemed to me that greater demons were powerful and rare entities, fit to lead an army. But now we get those as a "simple" monster unit?

So we can have an Unclean One leading 19 copies of itself? Seems strange to me. Also, we need human cultists :smile:

You're not wrong; but we also have 19 stacks of Steam Tanks and Star Dragons so this isn't a new thing either way.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 6,586
    That's what Exalted Greater Daemons are for.
  • NazjaxNazjax Registered Users Posts: 1,321
    If you want fun you won't play doomstacks, and use mods to block AI to do it if they do. (Sometime they doesn't, sometime they do, depending on patchs and races)
  • MattockMattock Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    Ghargan said:

Hey everyone,

Well, from my understanding, there are thousands of them in the realm of chaos. The issue is that it takes a lot of magic to sustain them in the real world, so you could have an army of plague bearers or 1 Unlcean 1, so they're limited in that way. But you do get some non comanders unclean ones. There is an issue in the game where you can build doom stacks but its not that having them as a monster is the issue..
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 7,584
    Tabletop lords isn't the same thing as generals. You could bring multiple lords in one army. Total War works differently, and the unit version of Greater Daemons allow you to have more than just one of them in your armies.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,546
    Dragons were mounts only fit for the highest Lords. But since game#1 with Wood Elves, Dragons got spammed around as cheap feral Monsters, which kinda climaxed with High Ellves. Keep in mind that a Star Dragon is around the same point and strength level as a Greater Daemon in TT.

So since Daemons take the lead for the "god-races", you have an Exalted greater Daemon as Lord choice, and then you have later generic T5 Greater Daemons as single monsters. Those might not be full wizards or cramped with demonic gifts/magical equipment, but still strong enough to rival other monsters from other races. And yes, you probably can doomstack them. So want a Exalted Bloodthirster Lord+19 Bloodthirsters to fight a HE Lord on Dragon with a Wizard on Dragon and 18 Star Dragons? Cool beans.
    What we do not know, is if there is some new upkeep system to keep them in check. Or if maybe we get a general rework making doomstacks for everyone harder. Time will tell.

------Red Dox
  • GharganGhargan Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 24
    Right, thanks for the clarifications and your opinions on this :)

It's true that I wasn't thinking about the whole "dragons, dragons everywhere!" thing. And yeah, I hate playing doomstacks and I hope that they will do something to limit those - the "wounds" mechanic is a step in the right direction for me.

But I kinda regret that they didn't introduce something new as their "monster" choice. Just before the announcement I was designing a "Keeper of the Garden" for Nurgle, just for fun. Something resembling a corrupted Treeman, a gentle and affectionate worker of the great garden :)
  • Hourgath_the_HutridHourgath_the_Hutrid Registered Users Posts: 694
    As long they make two versions of great demons distinct from each other(which they do)I have no problem with such thing
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 5,292
    edited November 2021
    There are exalted greater daemons that are the LL's and then there are greater daemons which are the SEM units.
  • HondlisHondlis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,330
    Sure make everything lore and TT friendly and we can finally play with those fantastic 6 units rosters.
  • GharganGhargan Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 24
    Hondlis said:

Sure make everything lore and TT friendly and we can finally play with those fantastic 6 units rosters.

Nah, I'm not a purist or anything, just felt weird having the "ouuuh, big bogeyman, omgwtf super demon like you've never seen before" turning into "dude, for 5000 gold you can get 5 of those and a free sticker".

But like the people above said we already have that with dragons etc etc. So I guess I'll get used to that as well.

And yeah, that's my point - they could've invented something new, with a new model instead of the same thing from that "6 unit roster" :p