Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

about rocket artilery

lubi125lubi125 MemberPosts: 47Registered Users
edited July 2012 in Napoleon: Total War
I'm pretty sure you people know that most games ban this kind of arty and the unicorns of the Russians. However what are your thoughts on them? Do you find them really that overpowered? How should we counter them (they have ridiculous accuracy and deal a lot of morale damage)?

Help, comments, opinions
Post edited by lubi125 on

Comments

  • PinxitPinxit Senior Member Posts: 199Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    lubi125 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you people know that most games ban this kind of arty and the unicorns of the Russians. However what are your thoughts on them? Do you find them really that overpowered? How should we counter them (they have ridiculous accuracy and deal a lot of morale damage)?

    Help, comments, opinions

    People who bring those are usually really bad at the game and can be defeated easily. Even if they are half good, I usually just never brings artillery, rushes, and destroys them. They rage quit once their artillery is gone, when the only way they think they can win is destroyed.
    Besides, even Unicorns can't kill enough men to make the cost worthwhile.
  • da Mottada Motta Banned Posts: 124Banned Users
    edited March 2012
  • lubi125lubi125 Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Pinxit wrote: »
    People who bring those are usually really bad at the game and can be defeated easily. Even if they are half good, I usually just never brings artillery, rushes, and destroys them. They rage quit once their artillery is gone, when the only way they think they can win is destroyed.
    Besides, even Unicorns can't kill enough men to make the cost worthwhile.

    Yeah I get your point, I use to run no art too, but when they pump out canister after canister at your troops it's not the most pretty of sights. I feel like sometimes I need art in other to compete with the opponent's massive art. So how much would you recommend of art?

    one setup I use is (British) 1 6lbr horse art and 1 9lbr canon, the other setup I have is the same thing but with a howitzer. It just really sucks to have art inferiority, seeing your men getting blown back by shells and canonballs is not nice, at all.
  • PinxitPinxit Senior Member Posts: 199Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    lubi125 wrote: »
    Yeah I get your point, I use to run no art too, but when they pump out canister after canister at your troops it's not the most pretty of sights. I feel like sometimes I need art in other to compete with the opponent's massive art. So how much would you recommend of art?

    one setup I use is (British) 1 6lbr horse art and 1 9lbr canon, the other setup I have is the same thing but with a howitzer. It just really sucks to have art inferiority, seeing your men getting blown back by shells and canonballs is not nice, at all.


    Depends on the map.

    But I would say this:

    Either you bring artillery superiority, or you don't bring artillery at all. Having one artillery piece will only slow down the rest of your army while getting shot at by the enemy's superior artillery. You need to close the distance fast and flank, flank, flank. Then flank some more. Don't ever attack head on canisters, but instead force him to redeploy his artillery and exploit any angles and terrain you possibly can. But most of all for me when I play, it always comes down to this: SPEED. Hit him, and hit him fast. Doesn't really matter if you take some losses, once you get up close you will still have superior numbers, and if you have approached his army in a beneficial way, he will die.

    If I ever bring artillery, it will be nothing but howies, two of them. Especially on terrain heavy maps like Homestead, Syrian Ridge, Italian Grassland, etc.

    I would suggest some 4-5 skirmishers, 6 line infantry, 1-2 elite line infantry, and the rest cavalry and artillery of your choosing depending on map and tactics to be used.
  • lubi125lubi125 Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Those are very good points you make there, especially your art superiority or no art mentality.
    I like howies, but I love bouncing cannonballs in enemy ranks, this adds to the fact that field guns have more range than howies.

    With the Brits, I run:

    4-5 light infantry, 0-1 riflemen, 4-5 Foot, 1-2 KGL, 2 Heavy cav, 1 light cav, 1 horse art, 1 foot art and 0-1 howie
  • PinxitPinxit Senior Member Posts: 199Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    lubi125 wrote: »
    Those are very good points you make there, especially your art superiority or no art mentality.
    I like howies, but I love bouncing cannonballs in enemy ranks, this adds to the fact that field guns have more range than howies.

    With the Brits, I run:

    4-5 light infantry, 0-1 riflemen, 4-5 Foot, 1-2 KGL, 2 Heavy cav, 1 light cav, 1 horse art, 1 foot art and 0-1 howie

    Here are my suggestions:

    You would want to replace the 2 KGL with 2 guard units (Coldstream and Foot Guards will do) as they inspire nearby troops and give them increased morale (use on flanks or in center). Especially use some guard units if you do not use a historical general.

    If you must have heavy cavalry, at least limit them to 1 as they are expensive, slow and not particularly effective anyway. Use light cav instead. Especially as the Brits which strength lies in infantry. Maximize the strengths and limit the weaknesses = bring really good infantry and limit the cavalry.

    Round shots were historically very poor at killing men, at least after the number of ranks in a regiments decreased and the lines became thinner. This would have occurred after 1631 when Gustavus Adolphus demonstrated the effectiveness of having thin lines of infantry rather than the more thick square like formations. Same is true for the game. Most players in NTW, if they are fairly good, will form their line infantry in 2 ranks deep. This means that one roundshot will only be able to kill about 2 men with each shot. Compare this to the howie which can kill some 5-15 men with one shot. Roundshots are worthless at killing infantry (unless you manage to shoot into a regiments flank, but if you manage to do that your opponent is so bad it doesn't really matter what you do).
  • lubi125lubi125 Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I just got my **** kicked by a guy spamming **** Ottoman 18lbr canons that just kept pumping out canister and even sniped my General, ridiculous! The worse is, he actually was semi-decent to not allow me to outflank him and get out of the canons firing arc
  • aceskipperaceskipper Member Posts: 52Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Don't get so annoyed because people have rockets. The people who have them are usually new to the game because they fail on land battles. They are good on naval battles because they can set fire to ships which is very hard to counter however on land its only really morale that affected. The unicorns I must say are annoying because of both range and power however they are expensive so your opponent can only have a few 20 pounders and the 10 pounders aren't that great anyway. The Russians don't have brilliant troops though so a swift cavalry charge should be enough to take out the unicorns just watch out for stakes. Don't bother saying no arty because watching an army marching along towards an enemy whilst under arty fire is what makes the game impressive.
    "Bonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year."
    -Horatio Nelson
  • aceskipperaceskipper Member Posts: 52Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    When I first started playing i didn't realize what no art meant so i got a MASSIVE army just with 12 pounders. The host got annoyed and rage quit after I blasted his general.
    "Bonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year."
    -Horatio Nelson
  • lubi125lubi125 Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    aceskipper wrote: »
    When I first started playing i didn't realize what no art meant so i got a MASSIVE army just with 12 pounders. The host got annoyed and rage quit after I blasted his general.

    ha! I have compassion for the other guy, you thought "no art" meant arts (painting, music...) were forbidden?
  • lubi125lubi125 Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    you would be suprised at how effective roundshots are against cavalry, yesterday I routed a cav unit (I think it was a cuirassier unit) using just 1-3 volley of 2 batteries of 9lbr pounders. So I yeah I do like my current build with 4 batteries 9lbr pounders, works well on grassy flatland (which seems to be the only map I play...)
  • StingrayStingray Senior Member Posts: 104Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    General consensus is that rockets cause laggg big time.....!
  • ThesaboteurThesaboteur Senior Member Posts: 812Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Rockets are preferred because of their cheese.... If you look at the firing arc they explode a few feet above your troops heads. Now what people do is get you on a hill and that "few feet above your troops" is now "right in their face." Because of their range and explosion radius units get wiped out on the spot. Rockets are also good a taking out cavalry like your general....
  • The KestrelThe Kestrel Senior Member Posts: 850Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I use rocket artillery to help me advance, especially at Aosta Valley. It can wipe out or damage cavalry and provides a dangerous moral penalty wherever I need to assault. Whenever my enemy sets up to defend a certain spot, I attack in conjunction with the rocket fire.
  • zeentzeent Member Posts: 55Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Any tips against rocketcampers who camp in the corner of a map. A few days back I played against someone who used two rockets and they oblitered my troops who were advancing on there position. It seemed like every rocket hit one of my units and I thought the accuracy on those things was horrible. And the strange thing was he was winning but he left the match before I was completly beaten...
  • IponuIponu Senior Member Posts: 496Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    I believe that if you are good, and know that, you should not care at all for whatever rules. On the other hand, if you are inexperienced or just not good, I would play in a battle with rules banning unicorns and rockets.
    Rome II better become realistic and historically sensible:

    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/119555-So-Close-to-Being-a-Good-Game...
  • Little EnosLittle Enos Senior Member Posts: 290Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Don't mind either way, I can understand why some prefer no arty as it dissuades from camping etc. But the rocket batteries have their uses and are a thing of beauty when you get a few salvos flying...;)
Sign In or Register to comment.