Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WD article: Demigryph Knights

Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6,282

Source: White Dwarf 388+389 (UK)

8th edition armybook entry

So while showcasing that bascially all Knightly Orders might field a Demigryph detachment (elite of the elite), in TWW itself we have the "Royal Altdorf Gryphites" as Renowns. Which were featured in the "Sigmars Blood" campaign book. But sadly without any strong lore and just the generic studio Knights as "painted example".

It might also be notable that while the 8th armybook introduced Demigryphs as unit, no character was able to mount one. Which is strange since if Elite Knights would take them you would assume the Empires Lord choices at least also should do so if the will (or if the player wanted to attach a Lord to a demigryph unit. Since in 8th edition mounts with different base sizes joining up was rather bad for the character in question). As with other books who had a similar issue (Necropolis Knights as TK unit but no Lord could take the Serpent mount; Forest Goblin gigantic Spider mount for characters, but no unit; Nurgle Plague Drones unit but no Rotfly moutn for the herald) it is most likely a "we don't have it sold so don't make it a entry" issue, which would probably have resolved itself in the future with a new cycle of armybooks but someone had the bright idea to kill the world instead.
Still, 8th edition "Tamurkhan" introduced Theodore Bruckner

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Theodore_Bruckner
who rode a slightly bigger Demigryph.

Proving that it should not be impossible for characters. And since game#3 for example adds the rotfly mount towards the DoC Nurgle Herald, maybe future Empire reworks/DLCs might add demigryph mount diversity for Empire Lords. And maybe Heroes, since when we learned one thing from Kislev, then that everyone should ride a monstrous beast...

Similar topics
Chaos

Dark Elves

Dwarfs

Lizardmen

Ogre Kingdoms

Orcs & Goblins

The Empire

Undead

Olde Weirde's Incunabulum 3of5
25 most influential Warhammer characters

-----Red Dox

Comments

• Elysium1805Elysium1805 Registered Users Posts: 46
    Very nice
    "We see that which was and thus we know your secrets. We see that which shall be and thus we know your fate. The now is trivial to us - we know the day we perish is not this day." - Kairos Fateweaver
  • Joeleth#9882Joeleth#9882 Registered Users Posts: 191
    I wonder if these guys are going to be part of the old world?

I don't know how many gunpowder units the empire would have back then so they may rely more on their knights.
  • Arcani_4_Ever#4489Arcani_4_Ever#4489 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,813
    Can someone tell me why Empire Captains and Generals cannot get a Demigryph Mount?

I feel this is a Mount that the Empire Lacks. And it would give them even more versatility.
  • afverrall#1754afverrall#1754 Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    If grandmasters ever comes it would be a good chance to introduce them.
  • MasterSayo01#2856MasterSayo01#2856 Registered Users Posts: 1,031
    Maybe is this a rework for the Empire Reikland in the game Warhammer 3 with this new DEMIGRYPH KNIGHTS units. :)

This will be awesome! ;)

For the Empire Reikland! :D

For the Empire Reikland! Long live Emperor Karl Franz!

• JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 6,502
    We need more unit-variety for the Demi-gryph Knights; There's only one mount-variety!

(Probably will never happen, but newer units do have this kind of difference)
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 1,679
    Armybook said:

Demigryph Knights do not tend to overwhelm their prey in great sweeping charges. Instead, they are more likely to engage the enemy in protracted assaults where the strength and endurance of their fearsome mounts becomes decisive.

Unlike more mundanely mounted knights, who rely on breaking the foe with their lance charges, Demigryph Knights
    engage the enemy in protracted assaults where the strength and endurance of their fearsome mounts becomes decisive

Yet they are classified and kitted out as monstrous shock cavalry in TW. The always puzzled me as making them melee cav would significantly reduce their redunancy with KotB, Reiksguard and Empire Knights.
    I really wish they'd be rebalanced to adress that.

Also, their so called "cavalry halberds" are really just longer hafted pollaxes, judging by the construction of the head. This actually makes sense as the pollaxe is more of a noble's (knight or man at arms) weapon, whilst the halberd is a tool of the common infantry. The shields are detrimental for both halberd and lance guys though, considering their fighting style. In melee both weapons are better gripped with two hands (was actually done with lances. Heck one of the earliest shock cavalries, the macedonian Companions, exclusively fought in this fashion. Their are more than enough medieval depictions of it being done too.).

The Winter Wolves are also interesting. There's potential for a Middenland unit here (RoR or campaign exclusive, probably). Enlarge a wolf and put a potential future Knight of the White Wolf with Demigryph rider animations on top.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,282
    edited December 2021

The Winter Wolves are also interesting. There's potential for a Middenland unit here (RoR or campaign exclusive, probably). Enlarge a wolf and put a potential future Knight of the White Wolf with Demigryph rider animations on top.

In TT, for people rather worshipping Ulric and not fond of the Demigryph design, that already was done through conversion. People picked up the new Space Wolf cav

had to cover/convert the 40k stuff but then had the ideal wolf-mount to proxy demigryphs.

And yes, CA could do something similar. Just not sure if it would be wise for a regular unit. As a Renown version it would work out perfectly.

-----Red Dox
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 6,826
    For some reason I never liked the demigryphs

I was content with the really crazy stuff like pegasus and griffins being exclusive to Lords and Heroes while the rest of the Empire was grounded bar the occasional hiccups. It allowed the Empire to contrast really well with all the crazy fantastical Factions around them and that elevated them

The demigryphs took them a worse direction imo
  • HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,285
    Red_Dox said:

In TT, for people rather worshipping Ulric and not fond of the Demigryph design, that already was done through conversion. People picked up the new Space Wolf cav

had to cover/convert the 40k stuff but then had the ideal wolf-mount to proxy demigryphs.

And yes, CA could do something similar. Just not sure if it would be wise for a regular unit. As a Renown version it would work out perfectly.

-----Red Dox
    Well I think we may see the Winter Wolves in The Old World which may lead to us seeing them as a normal unit despite technically not still existing in the canon timeline.

I'm also a bit more interested in what a Razorbeak is though based on the name and the order that rode them, I'm guessing a large bird of some kind. I'd like to think they were more of a Culchan than a Giant Eagle. That's the FF fan in me talking though. Chocobo Knights !
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 6,826
    Red_Dox said:

-----Red Dox
    In fantasy it makes more sense, especially for goblins. But what good are wolves for space marines fighting tyrannies, terminators, mechs, etc. And what use are they for already powerful space marines