Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Making Light of Battle Useful

StupidIdiotStupidIdiot Registered Users Posts: 95
edited August 12 in Warhammer Battle Feedback
What if Light of Battle was a single target spell that you cast on an ally that gives Unbreakable, +100% damage resist, -100% weapon strength, -100% missile damage, +X seconds on ability recharge (however long light of battle lasts)? And what if the overcast version let you cast it on an enemy?

Just spitballing, let me know your thoughts!
Post edited by CA_Will on

Comments

• Reym#7442Reym#7442 Registered Users Posts: 819
    Sounds a bit weird to me. I would rather see it rally fleeing units in exchange of a shorter duration.
    But is talking about what is appropriate to talk about in this thread appropriate to be talked about in this thread ?
  • Cadia101Cadia101 Registered Users Posts: 1,400
    Making it auto rally troops would make it so much better.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,598
    I like the autorally feature, but it would also have to grant a large leadership boost for short duration so that the unit doesn't insta route right after rallying due to still having same LD modifiers applying as what caused it to run in the first place
  • The_real_FAUSTThe_real_FAUST Registered Users Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2020
    Grants +30 leadership instead of unbreakable.

Targettable on any unit (including routing), lasts 30 seconds

-1 WOM
    Post edited by The_real_FAUST on
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Its pretty bad...

Even crown of command is okayish because it is at least WOM free

Grants +30 leadership instead of unbreakable.

Targettable on any unit, lasts 30 seconds

-1 WOM

With immune to psychology.
    If the unit terror routed you will need it to make the spell usefull.
  • The_real_FAUSTThe_real_FAUST Registered Users Posts: 2,007
    They gain Itp from Exorcism lore trait.

I forgot that. Thanks.
  • AerocrasticAerocrastic Registered Users Posts: 485
    this spell would probably never be good unless it were a map wide effect or exceptionally cheap to use. This spell is competing with Pha's Protection, Net of Amyntok, and Birona's Timewarp for a slot. If you want damage spells paired with any of these there's shem's and banishment. The recent change to the lore of light passive further invalidated the spell and arguably not dying or killing faster equates to not routing so thus light of battle is useless as it is. Units being incapable of losing models while it's active doesn't really fit with what it should do, I think this spell is just dead in the water
  • Nitros14#7973Nitros14#7973 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,641
    edited May 2020
    I'd significantly increase the duration, so it's more of a fire and forget spell to make a unit obnoxiously hold its ground for a long period.

That seems like the original intent, it just doesn't last long enough to be worth casting.
  • Loupi#8512Loupi#8512 Registered Users Posts: 3,687
    longer duration and/or maybe added expert charge defence could be nice way to buff without changing the feel of the spell.

• eumaies#1128eumaies#1128 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,455
    Nitros14 said:

I'd significantly increase the duration, so it's more of a fire and forget spell to make a unit obnoxiously hold its ground for a long period.

That seems like the original intent, it just doesn't last long enough to be worth casting.

Yeah. Turning a unit of swordsmen into the 8 peak loonies for one or-two minutes or something would definitely add something unique.
  • DigitalFistDigitalFist Registered Users Posts: 21

Exorcism and Light of Battle are the two most pointless spells in the game, in my humble opinion.

• User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 1,572
    The Spell originally rallied units in TT but it didn't usually matter because a broken unit was as good as dead. Even in TT the spell was rarely useful.

The spell in TW is just too hard to use. The only time the spell is useful is when a unit is about to break, which can be really hard to time, or you use it to keep abilities like frenzy up. Even in those cases though, you're only buying yourself 22 more seconds, because there's a good chance that the unit will just route right after anyway. That's not a lot for 7 winds. The only exception is if you're using it to avoid a shock route, but that would be even harder still, and a unit that shock routed probably isn't worth saving.
    Having a longer duration would make it easier to use, the only potential issue would be in the late game where an unbreakable unit can drastically swing the outcome of the battle.

You could also argue that all abilities that make units unbreakable should be able to target broken units, but light of battle especially because that was its original design.
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that Her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
This discussion has been closed.