Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Graphics style preference by generation

cabans33cabans33 Registered Users Posts: 1,110
Hi,

I have a theory that most of the ones prefering the WH2 campaign graphics (darker and sharper) are the ones borned before the 90s while the younger generations prefer mor soft and brighter graphics

I just want to see if Im right or wrong in this conclussion and we can see if there is a correlation in Age and graphics preference. I think it is an interesting topic.

I made the poll anonymous in case someone do not want to share his/her age

In my opinion (I was borned in the 80s) is that the game is more bright and soft but I still like it and I think it is a good middleground so that all tastes are covered. Lets see the results.

PLEASE CONSIDER THAT WE ARE VOTING FOR OUR PREFENCE REGARDING THE GRAPHICS STYLE ... obviously WH3 Gaphics are more polished and better BUT PLEASE VOTE FOR THE STYLE

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Graphics style preference by generation 137 votes

I was borned in the 80s or before and I Prefer WH3 softer and brighter graphics style
16% 23 votes
I was borned in the 80s or before and I Prefer WH2 darker and sharper graphics style
22% 31 votes
I was borned in the 90s and I Prefer WH3 softer and brighter graphics style
21% 30 votes
I was borned in the 90s and I Prefer WH2 darker and sharper graphics style
29% 40 votes
I was borned after year 2000 and I Prefer WH3 softer and brighter graphics style
5% 7 votes
I was borned after year 2000 and I Prefer WH2 darker and sharper graphics style
4% 6 votes

Comments

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,459
    i like bright colors but most importantly details and map that looks alive . and yes i was born in early 90s

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 5,062
    edited December 2021
    I don't prefer a specific color palette, I prefer contextually relevant representation. For example, Kislev and Cathay look fantastic, on the fence about the Mountains of Mourn.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,303
    I prefer the darker atmosphere as it is the most fitting for Warhammer imo but I will say that the brither colours are fitting for specific places like Cathay, Ulthuan or Lustria.

• BayesBayes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,014
    I would really prefer something darker and softer, although I do not really know what that means. I thought wh2 was way too bright and colorful too, I thought tww1 had a darker atmosphere with warmer colours.

If I could have the colours/shaders/idk what any of this means of tww1, and what seems to be the more stylized tww3 terrain, I would prefer that.
    If you see this lost little fellow please help him find his way home.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,459
    Neodeinos said:

I prefer the darker atmosphere as it is the most fitting for Warhammer imo but I will say that the brither colours are fitting for specific places like Cathay, Ulthuan or Lustria.

and bretonnia minus Mouslion and forest of Arden

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• RJCPSRJCPS Registered Users Posts: 530
    well the lightning changes werent great already from WH1 to 2 so this is a step in the same direction.

cant vote as i dont have that option :/
  • Data5Data5 Registered Users Posts: 458
    I would like the map to look like google earth or as realistic as possible.
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    I think the poll doesn't fit. I'm from the mid 80s and I don't prefer any of that. Whats important for me is if the whole package fits aestetically or not. TWW2 was more colorful than TWW and thats was my thought on the new map reveal was "oh thats colorful, not sure if I like or dislike it. lets wait for more footage to form an opinion".

Also back in the days we had Mario, Sonic and Zelda all very colorful games. It was also the time of cartoons, Disney and Warner Brothers were bright and shiny. I don't think your theory makes much sense, color psycology isn't based on age. Even different species share same reactions to specific colors when they are able to visualise them.
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Registered Users Posts: 911
    edited December 2021
    I thought Kislev looks grittier than Cathay, and I feel it's fitting. All I can see is graphical and visual improvements, rather than a change of style.

In Warhammer 2 there are darker and brighter places too.

I really don't understand this controversy.

Edit: I was born in 1985.
  • cabans33cabans33 Registered Users Posts: 1,110

I think the poll doesn't fit. I'm from the mid 80s and I don't prefer any of that. Whats important for me is if the whole package fits aestetically or not. TWW2 was more colorful than TWW and thats was my thought on the new map reveal was "oh thats colorful, not sure if I like or dislike it. lets wait for more footage to form an opinion".

Also back in the days we had Mario, Sonic and Zelda all very colorful games. It was also the time of cartoons, Disney and Warner Brothers were bright and shiny. I don't think your theory makes much sense, color psycology isn't based on age. Even different species share same reactions to specific colors when they are able to visualise them.

After seeing first results, I think I might be wrong, for the moment it seems there is a correlation but in the opposite direction.

I'm curious for the final results though
    edited December 2021

I might be wrong but I do think that your stetic preferences depend on the generation you are borned. Not by a lot bit Inthink there is a correlation. Lets see

See for example though the different periods in time the style and colours of artistic representations has changed
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 31,542
    90s kid for life.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,446
    Where's the.

Born 80s
    Game 1
    Grimdark is best
    Cathay is a joke and may as well be Elves

Option?
    Glory matters not.

• AgemmonAgemmon Registered Users Posts: 141
    The WH3 campaign map definitely sports smoother textures, deeper colours, a wider range of colours and much better lighting. It looks amazing when you put it all together. However, I actually don't agree that the map looks brighter in general. In the WH3 first look video, the Kislev regions actually appear to be much more grim and dark compared to WH2. It could merely be my monitor, but the WH2 campaign map has crisp and sharp textures in accordance with bright lighting almost everywhere. I did not find this to be the case in the WH3 first look @ the campaign map video.
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 2,693
    Not sure if you're just a non-native speaker, but just so you know born is already the past tense in this context, there's no need to add 'ed' to make it so.

I'm early 90's, it could be a bit generational. Personally I think a darker aesthetic fits the kind of setting it is. It's not grim dark, but it's certainly a dark fantasy setting. Not to say there aren't bright landscapes and beautiful architecture, but it's certainly not a standard fantasy setting with idyllic hamlets and good kings presiding over the lands with the occasional bandit problem.

Mind you, again it's fitting in some places, but by and large the aesthetic should lend aid to the tone of the setting.
  • PedePede Registered Users Posts: 1,599
    Lighting in game 2 dark and grim??? What?

TWWH2 had notorious lighting issues washing every face in the brightest of sunlight even in the middel of Sylvania..

Most of the game is centeret arround desserts and jungles with bright colours.

Game 3 looks fine. And yes i am from early 90's.

• MyloweenMyloween Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited December 2021
    I'm born in 1990 and I really prefer the more "realistic" feeling of Warhammer 1 and 2 maps, mainly due to their sharpened assets shape, and more coherent sizes between them.
    I know it's more simple to read in Warhammer 3 like that, but I find the bridges, for the example, really too disproportionate compared to the cities. I find also a lack of small details.

The Warhammer 3 map lightings and other aspects looks really great for me, depending of their areas, my issue is mainly on the assets size and style (maybe also textures, they look maybe sometimes a bit too smooth).

Lightings on the Warhammer 1 map was also really great compared to Warhammer 2 on the old world. Even if I like its look on the new world part, I prefer the darker aesthetic of Warhammer 1.
  • GobloybGobloyb Registered Users Posts: 136
    I was born in 1990 and I prefer the far superior graphics of Warhammer 3. The Old World in Warhammer 2 looks terrible, especially compared to the Vortex map.
    After seeing the results it seems that there is not correlation between generation and graphics style preference, I was wrong, but interesting to see the different opinions.

End of the experiment ;-)
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 1,328
    Your entire poll is flawed to begin with. Game 2 lighting was FAR from being dark and gritty. Thats game 1, where CA truly nailed the Old World gloomy atmosphere.
  • BloodydaggerBloodydagger Registered Users Posts: 3,953
    Grimdark, death and darkness.

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,717
    I really like the darker atmosphere. But in places like Lustria and Cathay, the lighting doesn’t need to be darker imo.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• CountTalabeclandCountTalabecland Registered Users Posts: 1,021
    “Were you born in the 90’s”
    Not
    “Were you borned in the 90’s”

• summertimelovinsummertimelovin Registered Users Posts: 519
    Born in the 90s. Much prefer game 1's lighting.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,080
    I have voted for 'dark and sharper', but I don't mind 'softer and brighter'. It depends on my mood.
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 3,068
    I was born after 2000, and I think I prefer the "old" graphics.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered Users Posts: 1,231
    So thus far this poll proves that it has nothing to do with age :) I for one have been born in 95 and I like WH1 dark campaign map more and in general despise the trend of turning everything cartoony and acid coloured. Civilization 6 is thus far the worst offender.
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 1,414
    tyrannus said:

So thus far this poll proves that it has nothing to do with age :) I for one have been born in 95 and I like WH1 dark campaign map more and in general despise the trend of turning everything cartoony and acid coloured. Civilization 6 is thus far the worst offender.

I think the increased popularity of E-Sports and it's thus larger influence on Gamedesign is the reason of that. Readability is king in that sphere. Also the fact, that not to long ago ever more realistic graphics were the trend and after a while any type of fashion goes into the opposite direction.
  • ArchmarkArchmark Registered Users Posts: 174
    90s, WH2-style. I'm kinda delighted to see a poll with such a spread out vote.

One could make the argument that it's "them darn kids" with their Goth/Emo/punk -phases that prefer darker and sharper though. Dark as myyyy sooouuul, sharp as the blaaadeee that cuts myyy skiiiin.
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 1,414
    Okay, as a 90s kid who voted for darker, the current results seem to indicate that my generation are the biggest edgelords on the forums. Not by that much though!