Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gnoblars vs Goblins

Robosoldier1Robosoldier1 Registered Users Posts: 194
Taking another look at the Ogre roster. I got to say the Gnoblars look waayyy too similar to Goblins, even going so far as there simply just using the goblin models/animations 1 to 1 but with a bigger nosed and more gremlin like ears, I get there like a inferior cousin to the Goblins but this is just a bit too on the nose.... literally. Overall I'm not trying to be nitpicky here but ideally I think if were getting creatures that have been distinguished enough for purposes in universe and from a factional sense. I think they can reflect differences behaviorally ingame.

For example why are the Gnoblars holding their spears in one hand? Its as if in an alternative life aka a goblin they would also be carrying a shield? Hence why its just empty and they aren't just 2 handing the thing. Or why are the Gnoblar trappers moving and acting very in synch with how nasty skulkers do? Why do they have 1 to 1 the same crooked curved weapons as night goblins when they should be reflected as using whatever broken and salvaged looking crap they can get their hands on.

I get Gnoblars aren't the centerpiece for Ogres. But whenever you think of Ogres the next immediate thing in their proxy is the Gnoblars. So having them be a bit more standout for their own sake would be preferable. Video reference below for motions in action makes it a bit easier seeing the same movements (both units are in like the first minute).

Comments

• MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,985
    I can't begrudge them for reusing animations but all in all, I agree with a lot of this. Mainly I think it's a shame that the standard Gnoblars are armed with spears, making them very similar to the Greenskins' Goblin Horde unit. On the tabletop, they couldn't take spears.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let Slip the Dogs of War - A fanmade Campaign Pack concept
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/303462/let-loose-the-dogs-of-war-a-fanmade-campaign-pack-concept
  • Robosoldier1Robosoldier1 Registered Users Posts: 194

I can't begrudge them for reusing animations but all in all, I agree with a lot of this. Mainly I think it's a shame that the standard Gnoblars are armed with spears, making them very similar to the Greenskins' Goblin Horde unit. On the tabletop, they couldn't take spears.

Exactly. They should be using broken swords, clubs. A variety of junk they happen to snag. Not a unified set of spears.

Worst of all in my opinion. They don’t even have variance in the unit itself. I mean literally the main distinction is whether they have a saucepan on their head or not. It’s really lowball.

Why aren’t some of their eats chewed? Showing they are under the ownership of an ogre? Why don’t they have any bones or crappy looking armor or whatever? Just seems very lame duck effort here.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,972
    But gnoblars are literally just ****ier goblins. Yeah they’re missing some detail, but it’s not like people would have been impressed that much by super well done gnoblars.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 5,831

But gnoblars are literally just ****ier goblins. Yeah they’re missing some detail, but it’s not like people would have been impressed that much by super well done gnoblars.

They could at the very very least be equipped with any weapons other than spears tho
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 1,987

As a huge goblin fan I find this offensive
  • LoreguyLoreguy Registered Users Posts: 1,410
    There should be some rule-na*i GW nerd sitting on CA shoulder poking people with pointy stick every time they deviate from the rules.

• ConstantineZAynConstantineZAyn Registered Users Posts: 848
    CA is a little indie game company and the ogres are a preorder DLC. Sadly, this is to be expected. Also thanks for pointing out the spears thing. I can't un-see it now and it bothers me about as much as the Ghorgon's idle animation.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 8,241

the ogres are a preorder DLC. Sadly, this is to be expected.

Exactly why I didn't want to see the Ogres as a Pre-Order, the Man Eaters are poorly implemented as well. Not to mention the missing units.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 34,661

They could at the very very least be equipped with any weapons other than spears tho
    Pretty much.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

#JusticeForCathay

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,080
    Because they are, unfortunately, remodelled Goblins. Gnoblars I like the most of all the GS stuff, and it's a shame they aren't unique.
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 1,136
    Meh, I can understand the disappointment but as far as race packs go (or any DLC with that budget/price) Ogre Kingdoms is probably the best value we've ever received in terms of assets and animations, even with the FLC ogre mercenaries covering some of the groundwork.

Had they been a campaign pack I might have been bothered by how gnoblars were made.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,870
    No worries, mate. The Gnoblar will have their own Lord Pack lead by Bragg the Gutsman.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 2,693
    Jote191 said:

Huge goblins? Hobgobbos confirmed?
  • LoreguyLoreguy Registered Users Posts: 1,410
    Vildvarg said:

Jote191 said:

Huge goblins? Hobgobbos confirmed?
    Huge goblin fan = Fan of huge goblin = Fan of Grom.

Calling hobogobbos huge goblins is disrespectful towards both.

... Or he is huge himself & goblin fan.
  • AsamuAsamu Registered Users Posts: 1,394
    Jote191 said:

It’s true though.

IMO, people take way too much issue with things like this. Some units sharing assets so the devs can put more of their time towards other things is totally fine. Not every single unit needs to be completely unique and original, and doing things that way would require an absurd amount of dev time.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,678
    well, CA loves to cut costs where it's possible. To be fair, in this case it works fine enough.
    edited December 2021
    Xenos7777 said:

well, CA loves to cut costs where it's possible. To be fair, in this case it works fine enough.

Ya but does it have to be such a degree where they can't do a better job with said assets? If there gonna have to use goblin models/animations. At least ya know try to fit the profile and translate it to the Gnoblars. How about instead of a packed unit there in a peasant mob formation where its literally not even a battle line? How about instead of 2 blades that the trappers are using why not one blade and the other a net? My point being that didn't even bother trying to distinguish the Gnoblar from Goblin units. They literally just ripped it 1 to 1 and that is really just low ball as can be. Equally as obnoxious as the stone troll where they didn't even bother changing the head.
  • Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 1,987

Xenos7777 said:

Ya but does it have to be such a degree where they can't do a better job with said assets? If there gonna have to use goblin models/animations. At least ya know try to fit the profile and translate it to the Gnoblars. How about instead of a packed unit there in a peasant mob formation where its literally not even a battle line? How about instead of 2 blades that the trappers are using why not one blade and the other a net? My point being that didn't even bother trying to distinguish the Gnoblar from Goblin units. They literally just ripped it 1 to 1 and that is really just low ball as can be. Equally as obnoxious as the stone troll where they didn't even bother changing the head.
    Completely agree except for the last part. Stone Trolls are still worse.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,947
    Oh look, another nitpick thread... Who cares? /s

Having some different weapons would've been a good low-hanging branch for them to grab, and some alternative headgear maybe. I didn't (and still don't) expect them to have different animations. Reusing animations is fine in this case.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
  • PedePede Registered Users Posts: 1,599
    Xenos7777 said:

Well yeah as they should. If they didn't, we would get the game in 2025 and they would bust their budget after 3 finished rosters.

edited December 2021
    Yannir said:

Oh look, another nitpick thread... Who cares? /s

Having some different weapons would've been a good low-hanging branch for them to grab, and some alternative headgear maybe. I didn't (and still don't) expect them to have different animations. Reusing animations is fine in this case.

oh look another fanboy whose content with the lowest denominator possible. I feel like this is part of the mentality that is giving us literal recolored chaos spawn and Forsaken. When they can and honestly should be more given how it would not only further distinguish the factions a bit but also reflect why said units are different depending on what faction there in and who there fighting for besides a stat or some effect you can't really see reflected in game. Its called immersion.

If Cathay just got 1 to 1 the empire sword unit but a different skin tone on the character model would you be content? I highly doubt it. I would expect some variety and some visual as well as movement changes to show how a swordsmen from one kingdom would act from another. Especially if there a continent apart and the fact there human. So why can't I say the same for Goblins vs Gnoblars?
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,678

Xenos7777 said:

Stone trolls and bloodline vampires are as low ball as can be. Recolours and kitbashes. Gnoblars are remodelled goblins: not optimal, but you can clearly see there are some new assets.
  • EquixEquix Registered Users Posts: 1,495
    Aesthethically gnobblars look cooler than goblins to me, they are are more fun with those noses and ears

new Undead Legion:
    Nagash (unlockable for beating game with Undead Legion)
    The Nameless
    Dieter Helsnicht
    Neferata
    Dread King or Walach Harkon

And also give a quest possibility to other mortachs to access/join some Undead Legion recruiting privileges.

DLCs for VC BLOODLINES:
    /Necrachs:Zacharias, Melkhior, Radu the forsaken /Strigoi:Ushoran, Vorag The Ghoul King, Gashnag The Black Prince, Rametep /Blood Dragon:Red Duke, Abhorash /Lahmia:zNitocris, Ulrika, Naaima

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 5,831
    Equix said:

Aesthethically gnobblars look cooler than goblins to me, they are are more fun with those noses and ears

I agree, I like their noses
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,972
    Holy **** @Equix is back! Anyone bring popcorn?
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,045
    Side Question:

Isn't Dobby a Gnoblar?

• YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,947
    jamreal18 said:

Side Question:

Isn't Dobby a Gnoblar?

Dobby is an elf. Just not the Warhammer kind of elf. More along the lines of Santa's little helper.
    Ugh, I have spoken.