Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How did CA make Total War Troy? (Video Inside)

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 13,058

Comments

• Lotor12Lotor12 Registered Users Posts: 915
    With "the End Turn debacle" UI dilema, i think, this is best solution, You have end turn notification, if You want to finish Your turn with displayed issues, which works also as buttons linked to certain mechanic

I consider it even even better that in Troy's one system and I like Troy more than Attila

• RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,681
    Hmm, they started working on Troy in Nov 2018 and the game released nearly two years later in Aug 2020.

If Sofia team has started to work on the new game around Epic release (Aug 2020) it would be totally possible for them to release new Saga title this year.

Completed EMPIRE, ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    EMPIRE
    France, Poland-Lithuania, Spain.
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2 & 3
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, Morghur the Shadowgave, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    W3 - RoC: Kairos Fateweaver, Tzarina Katarin, Zhao Ming.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    FD: Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Memnon, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Rhesus, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
    RTW: Carthage, Egypt, Greek Cities, Macedon, Scipii, Scythia.
    BI: Eastern Roman Empire, Romano-British, Sarmatians, Slavs.
  • Eruner_SKEruner_SK Registered Users Posts: 169
    regarding User Experience, I have a two-layer feedback to it.

First layer of confusing user experience is figuring out which unit is good at which role. And how to use the unit. And why to recruit a unit.

From Armour to Charge bonus, there are many stats, and many units are a mix of stats, and it is not obvious to figure out the best use of unit.
    e.g. this unit is great at killing low armoured units, this unit should be used as flanker, this unit should disengage after charge...

Look at Dardanian and Argos lowtier units, they are similar to each other, and as player I don't know what is the intended purpose of those units. Especially when comparing each to other, it is hard to understand what is supposed to be good at which situations.

Second layer of confusion is that, as experienced player, even when I figure out what is the intended design of a unit, the battle experience and testing shows that certain units underperform and overperform.
    Result of this is player experience equal to players making an army solely of very few (overperforming) units (both campaign and battles).
    For example Argos roster, it is the best to use Club Warriors as multipurpose unit, regardless of number of faction unique melee units. Or people using Sworn Fighters + Rabbles as Dardania. Or Teucer Bowmen being worse than Locrian Slingers.

Could we have a talk about units, their design and their actual performance?
    Eruner_SK said:

regarding User Experience, I have a two-layer feedback to it.

First layer of confusing user experience is figuring out which unit is good at which role. And how to use the unit. And why to recruit a unit.

From Armour to Charge bonus, there are many stats, and many units are a mix of stats, and it is not obvious to figure out the best use of unit.
    e.g. this unit is great at killing low armoured units, this unit should be used as flanker, this unit should disengage after charge...

Look at Dardanian and Argos lowtier units, they are similar to each other, and as player I don't know what is the intended purpose of those units. Especially when comparing each to other, it is hard to understand what is supposed to be good at which situations.

Good Point,
    I think this is more about "unit design", than UI

But Yes it wopuld be more helpful to have classes like charge infantry etc,
    I would like to see, how the newcomers to Total War, which Troy was targeting from this video, determine the role and purpose of unit from the in game-unit stats
    Eruner_SK said:

Second layer of confusion is that, as experienced player, even when I figure out what is the intended design of a unit, the battle experience and testing shows that certain units underperform and overperform.
    Result of this is player experience equal to players making an army solely of very few (overperforming) units (both campaign and battles).
    For example Argos roster, it is the best to use Club Warriors as multipurpose unit, regardless of number of faction unique melee units. Or people using Sworn Fighters + Rabbles as Dardania. Or Teucer Bowmen being worse than Locrian Slingers.

Could we have a talk about units, their design and their actual performance?

"Or Teucer Bowmen being worse than Locrian Slingers."

I checked them, I do not see reason , why to recruit Teucer Bowmen....
    Both are recruited from different buildibg chain and that is all

Slings and Bows have different shoting trajectory - archers could shot above own troops or obstacles, slingers not, so they had different role on the battlefield, but this is not represent in this game (or other Total War)

So what is the purpose of teucer bowmen?
  • Eruner_SKEruner_SK Registered Users Posts: 169
    another example of bad UX/UI - how to rename agents

as you can see here, you cannot rename agent:

but it is only possible from campaign map:

while heroes can be renamed:

Eruner_SK said:

another example of bad UX/UI - how to rename agents

I also have one example

From this report I know, that enemy priest agent commited hostile action against my spy agent... and that is all

I do not know, what exacly are the consequences of this action

And here is my spy agent, who was target of succefull "prophecy of doom" action

There is not any notice what happened