Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

jUsT DoN't DoOmStAcK iF U wAnT uNiT cApS!

BillybabelBillybabel Registered Users Posts: 774
edited February 21 in General Discussion

This is why I'm in favor of unit caps, it's not that it's too easy for the player, it's that the AI will doomstack single entities and it's simply not fun to fight against. And I don't mean that it's too hard and I can't beat it, but that what I have to do to beat it is simply unfun.

A few single entities are fine and fun, but when single entities are half or 30% of an enemy force, it is no longer a game about formations and tactics, it is a grind because they have enough mass to simply ignore your infantry. At that point it is a stat sheet game about figuring out which of your single entities will best match up to their single entities. In the one with the dragons I'm Grom, I can beat that army with infantry but i take so many casualties doing it, and they can just make more dragon stacks and if you fail to wipe anything out they will heal to full in 2 turns and your infantry simply can't heal quick enough. The only way I can play against this is by either stacking heroes or stacking spiders. I no longer get to have a fun balanced army because I literally can't survive against the AI's doom stacks.

In the pic with the bears I'm nurgle, I'm lucky in that the ice bears will just fight until they die, so they won't retreat and heal back up to full in two turns, but to survive against this I am forced to make beasts of nurgle, and great unclean ones because they are the only things that can trade efficiently into their single entities. and when this fight happens where is the strategy in this? I'm not flanking or gaining high ground, all I'll be doing is click on my guys, clicking on their guys and hitting the fast forward button while I occasionally heal. Up to this piont battles were fun, shut down ranged assets with flyers, send in nurglings, use plaguebearers to gunk things up, determine healing priority. But now because of this **** the game is SEM grindfest.

Please please please give us a unit cap option officially. Because this is garbage.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• dodge33cymru#1936dodge33cymru#1936 Registered Users Posts: 3,375
    Completely agree with you, some of the army compositions are terrible.

Again, a mod to remove caps would be much easier to maintain than one which adds them, which is one of the reasons why I think it should be a default.
  • XxXScorpionXxX#2310XxXScorpionXxX#2310 Registered Users Posts: 6,020
    nah, I like my Khornitor doomstack. It can eat 3 of those Kislev stacks and still be in fighting shape.
    Request scorched body textures, and fire death effects. At least 30% of all damage in this game comes from fire sources. Request Fire for the Fire God DLC.
  • BillybabelBillybabel Registered Users Posts: 774

nah, I like my Khornitor doomstack. It can eat 3 of those Kislev stacks and still be in fighting shape.

Khorne is the absolute most brain dead easy mode campaign in the game, it's almost as challengeless as Taurox. Who would use that as a measure of anything worthwhile?
  • Goatforce#6625Goatforce#6625 Registered Users Posts: 8,448
    Yeah I can't wait for a unit cap mod to be released, think it is something CA really should have added officially.

Imo the game is just so much more fun with it than without it.
  • Farinay99Farinay99 Registered Users Posts: 52

They can make unit caps optional, we can have our caps and you guys your doomstacks.
  • MooncakeMooncake Registered Users Posts: 658
    Game three incentivizes doomstacking even further with the garbage narrative mechanics. One campaign was enough for me until mod support and some performance and bug fixes are made.
    Mooncake said:

Game three incentivizes doomstacking even further with the garbage narrative mechanics. One campaign was enough for me until mod support and some performance and bug fixes are made.

All the warhammer games have thus far encouraged doom stacking.It's not just the narrative campaign.
  • IxalmarisIxalmaris Registered Users Posts: 851

Mooncake said:

All the warhammer games have thus far encouraged doom stacking.It's not just the narrative campaign.
    Still, in no previous TW you had sections in the game where you were limited to 1 army like in the Chaos Realms.
  • Nihtantuel#8237Nihtantuel#8237 Registered Users Posts: 255
    You were caught by an AI army that had a few single entity monsters. Boo hoo. Poor you.

Seriously, how is this even a point of discussion? Isn't it what people over here like to call a 'challenge', which this game severely lacks?

Or you want to strictly have to play your army of 5 melee, 5 archers, 5 cavalry template and win everything with it? It is your approach that is the problem here.
    edited February 21

You were caught by an AI army that had a few single entity monsters. Boo hoo. Poor you.

Seriously, how is this even a point of discussion? Isn't it what people over here like to call a 'challenge', which this game severely lacks?

Or you want to strictly have to play your army of 5 melee, 5 archers, 5 cavalry template and win everything with it? It is your approach that is the problem here.

they have 3 stacks all with 5 ice bears, so you will be fighting a total of 15 ice bears back to back if not at the same time.

also you seem to be too illiterate to read past the title and then look at the pretty pictures I'll cut out a quote.

"I don't mean that it's too hard and I can't beat it, but that what I have to do to beat it is simply unfun."

If you're going to comment at least take the briefest of moments to have the faintest idea of what you're commenting on.
  • Nihtantuel#8237Nihtantuel#8237 Registered Users Posts: 255

they have 3 stacks all with 5 ice bears, so you will be fighting a total of 15 ice bears back to back if not at the same time.

also you seem to be too illiterate to read past the title and then look at the pretty pictures I'll cut out a quote.

"I don't mean that it's too hard and I can't beat it, but that what I have to do to beat it is simply unfun."

If you're going to comment at least take the briefest of moments to have the faintest idea of what you're commenting on.
    You can beat it - your point is mute. Your desire to have a 'fun balanced army' is your problem, not everyone elses, certainly not mine.

So how is my point wrong?
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,646
    That’s a balanced army, with a couple of extra SEM.

Much the same as my stacks.

Get good.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • caladbolgftw#3407caladbolgftw#3407 Registered Users Posts: 441

To choose a target for your missile unit, which is the priority?
    the frontline

OR

the 5 SEM that has large amount of hp for each and can terror route and heavily damage any infantry it touches?

If you tell me I should counter this no brainer monster train army with more missile units or making a doomstacks, then I might as well should never install this piece of garbage in the first place.

OP is right, fighting in the late game has been bothersome because of AI monster spam. Ai and their no brainer has took every kind of fun out of this game. In fact, many of what most players considered fun about this game are just drama and memes. Gameplay are either broken or buggy. Late game doesn't feel enjoyable, the lord ability tree are either too broken or too underwhelming with most of its ability being down right useless or downright broken that shadows every other abilities.
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,646

the frontline

OR

the 5 SEM that has large amount of hp for each and can terror route and heavily damage any infantry it touches?

If you tell me I should counter this no brainer monster train army with more missile units or making a doomstacks, then I might as well should never install this piece of garbage in the first place.

OP is right, fighting in the late game has been bothersome because of AI monster spam. Ai and their no brainer has took every kind of fun out of this game. In fact, many of what most players considered fun about this game are just drama and memes. Gameplay are either broken or buggy. Late game doesn't feel enjoyable, the lord ability tree are either too broken or too underwhelming with most of its ability being down right useless or downright broken that shadows every other abilities.
    Nah, I don’t think so.

You can beat it - your point is mute. Your desire to have a 'fun balanced army' is your problem, not everyone elses, certainly not mine.

Everything. Beating it is not part of the problem. Problem is that it ruined immersion. And what you know of fun balance army? what you know of balance? You knows nothing you cringelord, don't try to shift the blame on others. The fact you think this isn't a problem has clearly put you WITH the problem.

Everything. Beating it is not part of the problem. Problem is that it ruined immersion. And what you know of fun balance army? what you know of balance? You knows nothing you cringelord, don't try to shift the blame on others. The fact you think this isn't a problem has clearly put you WITH the problem.
    I think you don’t understand balance, and it’s irrelevance in the sandbox experience.

That’s a balanced army, with a couple of extra SEM.

Much the same as my stacks.

Get good.

cringe
  • asveronasveron Registered Users Posts: 86
    In an ideal world I would like supply line penalty on high tier units.

Ideally recruitment buildings allow you to have a few high end units each. Going over the limit imposes a tax.

Everything. Beating it is not part of the problem. Problem is that it ruined immersion. And what you know of fun balance army? what you know of balance? *** ** *** ** *****, don't try to shift the blame on others. The fact you think this isn't a problem has clearly put you WITH the problem.
    I don’t think you understand balance. Your point is mute.
    Childish outbursts don’t help your case.

If it’s too hard, turn down your difficulty.
    Learn to deal with an elite balanced army.

undefined

the frontline

OR

Nah, I don’t think so.
    What do you find "fun" fighting this tiresome army? explain? this is what wh40k tabletop gaming called Distraction Carnefix, where a target with high damage and high hp pool attracts the attention of every damage dealers to kill it. But in this game however, even with those bear died, there are still remaining enemy infantry to deal with. So far there isn;t much to deal with those SEM other than missile spam or those glorified anti-large halberd frontline. Magic can at least debuff it, damages still depends on the missile units and there's still like 5 SEM.

So why not give me a explanation then? I want a proper reply? and btw this game is not a sandbox. NOT A SANDBOX.

Everything. Beating it is not part of the problem. Problem is that it ruined immersion. And what you know of fun balance army? what you know of balance? *** ** *** ** *****, don't try to shift the blame on others. The fact you think this isn't a problem has clearly put you WITH the problem.

You clearly do not understand what I'm saying. It was never with difficulty. I can think of 10 different ways to clear that ridiculous army, but it is just not fun, and I don't get why you would turn a blind eye at it? Did CA bribed you?
  • DrazhoaththeAshen#9598DrazhoaththeAshen#9598 Registered Users Posts: 881

Folks... the phrase is moot point. Not mute point. More than one person has made the woopsy.

But yeah, it can be immersion breaking. And while I don't think the tone of the post is quite right, there is a lot of "Just don't make doomstacks if you don't like doomstacks" only to see a cascade of terracotta sentinels coming at you from the AI at certain difficulties. Say what you will about Nurgle right now, but his unique method of recruitment makes for a really fun experience and encourages some diversity.
    What is normal for the spider is Chaos for the fly.
  • ConstantineZAyn#4211ConstantineZAyn#4211 Registered Users Posts: 1,063
    It's crazy that each unit has a visible "tier" now, but for some reason unit caps are not in. I thought this addition meant they would implement an optional unit cap setting. I always ran unit cap mods in TWW2, and I'm now playing TWW3 and slowly but surely my armies are getting filled up with powerful single entities. The game incentivizes it.
    Daniel was a mistake.

#JusticeForDaemonsOfChaos
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,687
    Seems several folks think personal derogatory remarks are OK for the conversation. Thread closed.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

This discussion has been closed.