Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

what is the best faction?

spear54spear54 Junior MemberPosts: 5Registered Users
edited November 2014 in Napoleon: Total War
personnaly out of all the factions i think russia is the best.people argue that the russian ecoenemy starts bad i but if you can bolster econemy in trade. also declaring war on prussia in the first turn gives you more regions quickly to use since prussia not that hard to beat. second you have time and space if a war goes badly. and due to the vastness of russia its hard to attack plus attrtion.also beating the otttaman army is not that hard sine they have bad genreal and to much orta peasent leavy.once whiping out two gret powers just invade austria from both sides.on the way make a lot of vassals to bolster econemy and to act as buffer states. with two great powers dead its not that hard. also vassal mean you get 50% money plus money from trade. after that defeat denmark and sweden and just march west. reason its my favorite is cause of easiness anf fun even in very hard. however im sure your all gonna argue but it will be fun to hear other reasons.
Post edited by spear54 on

Comments

• DoomDoom Member Posts: 52Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    There is no best Faction, depends ho you'd like to play,

Britian: Strong navy, has a channel to keep france at bay and time to prepare.

France: Many units, diverse, Power house.

and of course, Russia: Austria and Prussia as meatshields. Huge. Bonus with winter, - with winter against enemys.
  • LSDLSD Senior Member Posts: 861Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Why anyone would choose anything but France is beyond me. They have the largest selection of units, the largest selection of historical (and powerful) generals -- they have everything. They even sound good when you click 'em.

I'd have liked to go with only playing Britain as i did in Empire, but in Napoleon they're not quite as fun to play as. They have a tiny selection of units (like every faction that isn't France), and they don't have any form of naval superiority in terms of what they can recruit. Remember HMS Victory? Oh, sorry, i forgot that she existed during the 18th century, but not in the 19th century when, you know, she was in a bit of a famous battle.

Now we're left with the same selection of naval units as every other faction (besides getting a selection of 6th rate frigates, rather than a corvette or brig).

At least we have the Peninsula Campaign with the 95th Rifles and everything... That was fun :(
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • Half Life ExpertHalf Life Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,562Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    playing as the coalition offers a wide variety of challenges that you wouldnt face as the french.

for example, When playing as france, you really dont have to worry bout the ottomans, as russia, they are a primary threat
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
  • lubi125lubi125 Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    LSD wrote: »
    Why anyone would choose anything but France is beyond me. They have the largest selection of units, the largest selection of historical (and powerful) generals -- they have everything. They even sound good when you click 'em.

I'd have liked to go with only playing Britain as i did in Empire, but in Napoleon they're not quite as fun to play as. They have a tiny selection of units (like every faction that isn't France), and they don't have any form of naval superiority in terms of what they can recruit. Remember HMS Victory? Oh, sorry, i forgot that she existed during the 18th century, but not in the 19th century when, you know, she was in a bit of a famous battle.

Now we're left with the same selection of naval units as every other faction (besides getting a selection of 6th rate frigates, rather than a corvette or brig).

At least we have the Peninsula Campaign with the 95th Rifles and everything... That was fun :(

You traitor! lol

Seriously though, I think it depends on your play style.
    France is well-balanced
    His Majesty King George III's army seems more oriented towards shooting and range combat (excellent line infantry)
    Austria has very strong skirmishers
    Ottomans seem a bit melee oriented.
    etc.

I can't say for everything as I mostly play as Great-Britain, hope this helps
  • Marshall DavoutMarshall Davout Banned Posts: 59Banned Users
    edited March 2012
    France is the best. In the Napoleonic era, it was still way more powerful than its enemies.
  • ingroingro Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    my favourite one is prussia, if you manage to not get conquered in the first turns, you can create a very good economy and army, and then you're almost unbeatable eheh
  • VaderVader Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    All factions have their pros and cons. I despise Austria and have never used them in a campaign. Prussia has good skirmishers and their infantry is above average. Russia's howitzer arty is unmatched. Britain has a superior Navy (duh). France hands down has the best everything, minus naval units and howitzers.
  • CharliequinCharliequin Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    France's cavalry (generally) has higher stats than everyone else's cavalry, (their shooter cav can go toe to toe with heavy cav and lancers) and the old guard is the only unit that I've seen that intimidates other units. That's a pretty big advantage, based on the fact that if you have any equal unit match-up with old guard, the old guard will win. As far as the online battles go, France has advantages that other people don't have. I prefer to play as England, because their line infantry is the best line infantry, but the only thing that the brits have that may go toe to toe with the old guard is the coldstream, of which you can only get one, and they will still lose in a one on one. We'd all like to believe that the game is balanced, and it's a great game, but in the context of battle, France just has too many advantages to compete with. If you have two equal players, and one of them is France, France will generally take the win. This is just in battles, as I don't have a huge amount of campaign experience.
  • E'dolloE'dollo Senior Member Posts: 128Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    If I were to sum up one faction being the best, I'd say Britain. They can match France in Infantry and Artillery, and are only a bit behind in Cavalry. Then France, then Prussia, Austria, Russia. Every faction has something good going for them, but I think GB and France stand out from the crowd a bit.
  • aceskipperaceskipper Member Posts: 52Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    There is no best faction. It depends how you play. If you are good with naval battles and elites and you want a defensive channel then Britain. If you want a good mix of lots of different troops and a good fighting core then France. If you want lots of powerful artillery then Russia (Use the unicorns), if you want to fail then use Portugal because they have barely any units that are any good. The only contestant for the British when it comes to naval battles are the Spanish because of the Santissima Trinidad (130 guns, 4 decks) and their wide variety of ships. If you want to play a nice easy campaign then Britain would probably suit because of the channel and their large navy. When you start the campaign of the coalition, Nelsons fleet is off the Spanish coast.
    "Bonaparte has often made his boast that our fleet would be worn out by keeping the sea and that his was kept in order and increasing by staying in port; but know he finds, I fancy, if Emperors hear the truth, that his fleet suffers more in a night than ours in one year."
    -Horatio Nelson
  • Colonel MallardColonel Mallard Senior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    There is no real best, but it's Britain for me. I like to listen to all the random stuff the men say, when you zoom in on them. Understanding them is a bonus.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

Total War:Barbarian Invasion 2:The Invadening
  • RomojoRomojo Member Posts: 33Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Russia for me... big, plenty of areas to manage. Trash the Turks (easy) and you have Istanbul and the trading areas. Try to stay on the right side of Britain (or at least keep them quiet) and you can even trade in the Atlantic.

I tried playing as the Turks once - dreadful.... I got beaten easily and quickly by everyone. "Sick man of Europe" indeed....
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,610Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I love Austria-Hungary due to their unique infantry types. Adn they have a great starting place filled with its own unique challenges with Prussia to the North, Russia to the East, France to the West, and Italy to the South as the major powers.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • DestroyerG4DestroyerG4 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Ive not played it that much but id choose russia my only down fall is there ships because there not that powerfull bit weak but there
    infantry are perfect and there cav thats wy Russia.
  • GoslingGosling Senior Member Posts: 1,518Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Last post was more than 2 years ago! Nice necropest
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.