Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

proper rules of fighting

RyanMan12RyanMan12 Senior MemberPosts: 436Registered Users
edited May 2012 in Napoleon: Total War
im compiling a list of the rules of 19th centuary war

rule 1. Never attack a general. its not proper
and what else
Post edited by RyanMan12 on

Comments

• StingrayStingray Senior Member Posts: 104Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    How about the old adage :- " All is fair in love and war. " What other rules do you need ? :rolleyes:
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Never order your infantry to run, unless they are charging into melee combat, or are desperately needed to plug a sudden gap in the line (which usually involves charging into melee anyway). Otherwise they should move at a proper marching pace.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
  • Half Life ExpertHalf Life Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,528Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    RyanMan12 wrote: »
    im compiling a list of the rules of 19th centuary war

rule 1. Never attack a general. its not proper
    and what else
    while attacking a general may be considered unproper, i consider him a fair target if he is on the field
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Senior Member Posts: 2,429Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Never order your infantry to run, unless they are charging into melee combat, or are desperately needed to plug a sudden gap in the line (which usually involves charging into melee anyway). Otherwise they should move at a proper marching pace.

That's a good one, and one I try to follow when I play Empire and Napoleon.
    "I just traded Finland's military to Kenya for 50 lions"

The awesome World War 1 Thread
  • iWarsawiWarsaw Senior Member Posts: 367Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Let your enemy have the first shot. It's only polite.
  • ScipiiouseScipiiouse Senior Member Posts: 155Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Ensure you rout your enemy using melee. It would be rude to not test their soldiers' strength.
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Senior Member Posts: 2,429Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Scipiiouse wrote: »
    Ensure you rout your enemy using melee. It would be rude to not test their soldiers' strength.

I think not, a proper gentleman doesn't brawl like some common dirty dock worker. Exchanging musket fire in good order is the only dignified way to wage war.
    "I just traded Finland's military to Kenya for 50 lions"

The awesome World War 1 Thread
  • AkivaAkiva Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    No flinching/ducking when under fire
  • MattSMattS Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    A ship of the line should not fire on a Frigate or smaller vessel unless the smaller vessel fires first.
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,842Registered Users, Moderators
    edited April 2012
    MattS wrote: »
    A ship of the line should not fire on a Frigate or smaller vessel unless the smaller vessel fires first.

I like this one. :)
    Not easy being a gunpowderhead

Forum Terms and Conditions
    When in doubt, check the stickies
    After every download, verify integrity of game cache

Fickle is the lady Fora
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    A variation when playing as Great Britain; Captains of Royal Navy ships are expected to engage the enemy whenever the opportunity arises. Seeing an enemy ship and then withdrawing from it is not permitted. (The Royal Navy actually executed an Admiral for failing to engage the enemy during the 18th century.)
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    edited April 2012
    Now I'll have to go and watch the Hornblower series again. Dang it, guys! I don't have time for this...

Fickle is the lady Fora
  • DuncanDuncan Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    No Bombing, ducking, pushing, petting, shouting, smoking or swimming in the diving area

uh?
  • fishfingersfishfingers Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Quite alot of Generals/Admirals died in the battlefield back then, alot of stray artillery shots. I doubt the enemy artillerymen were aiming specifically for the general, they were just aiming for the rabble but back then guns were pretty inaccurate and it was bad luck for the enemy, and a bonus for the other guys.

Anyway, I don't have qualms about firing upon routing infantry but I do follow a personal rule, only go after large groups of routing men with cavalry but always leave a few alive, I have a feeling they will tell their countrymen and make them **** themselves :)
  • HeirofAlexanderHeirofAlexander Senior Member Posts: 1,088Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance" - The Last Words of General John Sedgewick.
  • GuardianOfBlindGuardianOfBlind Senior Member Posts: 947Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Some good ideas here, just few more:

1) Declare ware through the diplomacy screen few turns before you plan to wage the war.

2) Do not sneak around big ennemy armies to steal an unguarded settlement, fight the army first. Generals of this era would never miss an opportunity for a large and glorious battle.
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,596Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Never use skirmishers, fight the battle like a man and have opposing armies fight from as far as 90 paces or whatever the musket range was. It was considered that using skirmishers was un-honorable and generals believe in fighting the Gentleman's warfare.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • Honor and GloryHonor and Glory Senior Member Posts: 347Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Anyway, I don't have qualms about firing upon routing infantry but I do follow a personal rule, only go after large groups of routing men with cavalry but always leave a few alive, I have a feeling they will tell their countrymen and make them **** themselves :)

That's awesome.

When lines are to fire. The linemen are NOT to shoot at the opposing lines officer, colour bearer, drummer of the line, and fifer of the line. It was considered one of the highest disrespects to any battlefield commander to shoot one of his officers and musicians of the lines.
  • Honor and GloryHonor and Glory Senior Member Posts: 347Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Tyer032392 wrote: »
    Never use skirmishers, fight the battle like a man and have opposing armies fight from as far as 90 paces or whatever the musket range was. It was considered that using skirmishers was un-honorable and generals believe in fighting the Gentleman's warfare.

That's very true. In fact, Napoleon himself order the executions of skirmish infantry whenever they were captured. His most favorite skirmish infantry to execute were the Austrian Windbusche Jaeger for their absurd use of "Alien Weaponry," his words himself. They used rifles that were loaded with air pellets that shot like bolt action rifles. They were very rare of the time, since they cost so much to make, and required so much strength to use them. The Austrians, even the Prussians (who began using them later in the wars against napoleon), could not funnel out $80,000 (In the cost of what it would be to make it today in the US) for these rifles.
  • The KestrelThe Kestrel Senior Member Posts: 850Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Sasu, do you mean to say that the Hornblower books were made into a motion picture? That would be great. I am just reading them now and they compelled me to return to Empire and Napoleon (this is after Lian Hearn's saga on the fantastical Otori clan made me play Shogun 2).

Also, to respond to the thread, a victorious commander ought to commiserate with his opponent for his defeat and a defeated commander should congratulate his rival. There is no need to be rude even during war, after all the officer you treat well after a defeat may well receive your surrender next time.
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 967Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Sasu, do you mean to say that the Hornblower books were made into a motion picture? That would be great. I am just reading them now and they compelled me to return to Empire and Napoleon (this is after Lian Hearn's saga on the fantastical Otori clan made me play Shogun 2).

Also, to respond to the thread, a victorious commander ought to commiserate with his opponent for his defeat and a defeated commander should congratulate his rival. There is no need to be rude even during war, after all the officer you treat well after a defeat may well receive your surrender next time.

They made some of them into movies. In the 50's Gregory Peck starred as Hornblower in the movie called Captain Horatio Hornblower. The movie was a 2 hour compilation of the first three books: Beat to Quarters, Ship of the line and Flying Colours or the Happy Return as it also sometimes known. Over a decade ago, the US channel A&E put together a series that they hopped would encompass the whole series. However, I don't think they made it past Mr. Midshipman Hornblower.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
    edited May 2012

There is a quite good series of television movies. Here's a list of those: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/5739-The-quite-comprehensive-list-of-movies-to-accompany-Total-War?p=74027&viewfull=1#post74027

Fickle is the lady Fora
  • The KestrelThe Kestrel Senior Member Posts: 850Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Thanks very much. I will definitely look into these.