Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Give me your honest opinion on TWW3

RazmirthRazmirth CalgaryRegistered Users Posts: 2,256
So I’ve been watching the reviews of Tww3 on steam. Some good, some negative.

I won’t pretend I’ve been lukewarm about TWW3 for various reasons. But I do want to buy it…but only if the time is right.

I’ve seen the game getting a fair amount of negative reviews that go along the lines of “the game is not optimized” or “campaign is worse than vortex race”. Some other complaints are horrible unit tracing/tracking where they stop attacking randomly, stop charging mid charge, etc.

Tbh one of these issues wouldn’t bother me by itself. But many issues together is a bit of a let down.

Question is; are all of these issues really that bad? Do the games high points make up for things that will be Eventually fixed/patched?

Give me your honest opinions. So I can make an educated decision on whether it’s good to buy now, or perhaps hold off for a few months until it’s where it needs to be!

And…..

Go.

Comments

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,458
    It isnt good now but it can be one day. You sound as if you want to play it now. Follow your gut.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • PurpleJernsPurpleJerns Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 34
    It's ok right now. The new factions are alright and there are lots of QoL changes for the better, but overall, WH2 Mortal Empires is a vastly superior experience at the moment. The soul race just isn't fun to do, lots of bugs make some campaigns frustrating, and 90% of my battles are on the new settlement maps. The settlement maps are ok but they are waaaay too frequent. I really miss land battles. I do enjoy the new siege maps though.

Will most of the issues be fixed? Probably, but it will take time.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,706
    Do you still enjoy Game 2?

Do you need a specific faction in Game 3?

Do you care more about Diplomacy than Field Battles?

Do you want to be told how to play, mechanically, by the game?

The Campaign is a rail road. You WILL engage with it at some point.

The Rifts are obnoxious. You WILL have to deal with them.

The factions are fine, but honestly no better.than Taurox or Eshin, or Thrott.

I've played more of Game 2 since release of Game 3, and nobody can say I didn't give Game 3 a chance, I've done a narrative and VH domination campaign.

I choose Game 2, or anything else really.
    Glory matters not.

• ConanthelibrarianConanthelibrarian Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 228
    I love it.

Fun, asymmetrical factions.

Sieges that force you to attack, and ensure the attackers will take loses, slowing the steamroller effect.

new units, new lore spells, new characters.

Stable for me, not 1 issue.

If you like TW and/or WH, go buy it. Its a game. Its fun.

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,458
    Surge_2 said:

Do you still enjoy Game 2?

Do you need a specific faction in Game 3?

Do you care more about Diplomacy than Field Battles?

Do you want to be told how to play, mechanically, by the game?

The Campaign is a rail road. You WILL engage with it at some point.

The Rifts are obnoxious. You WILL have to deal with them.

The factions are fine, but honestly no better.than Taurox or Eshin, or Thrott.

I've played more of Game 2 since release of Game 3, and nobody can say I didn't give Game 3 a chance, I've done a narrative and VH domination campaign.

I choose Game 2, or anything else really.

Wh2 is alot better.

But if wh3 was the only whTW game then id say it is better than most games out there.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • nord123456nord123456 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 284
    Its a disappointing waste of money in its current state and I don't want to play it. Thats my honest opinion.

I also don't really get how they were able to mess it up that badly. All we basically needed was more of the same.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 35,572
    Good game, awesome potential, bad community.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu usurper, pog wog warrior, poggers patroller

• zuendl86zuendl86 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 544
    edited March 15
    I bought it... I played a few custom battles and thats it ;)

I am waiting for IE :D

I knew it would be this way :D
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 5,631
    Uninstall it and reinstall WH2 or play other games.
  • mdgh1991mdgh1991 Registered Users Posts: 498
    1. WH3 - Soul Race = very good game. Also, RoC itself have very cool battle maps. So I want RoC to be in IE + I wish RoC with settlements/fortresses (with unique Monogods-specific siege maps) in IE. You know, Mortal realm chaos settlements (ruins) covered with things couldn't satisfy me.

2. Bugs you mentioned are very annoying and have some (severe) impacts on gameplay but not make the game unplayable.

3. Overall I recommend waiting for IE + Bug fixes (ofc if you are not a diehard fan of the series)
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 8,626
    If I were an architect I would say that is a pretty building with a weak foundation,it can be fixed, but it will take time.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • 1v01v0 Registered Users Posts: 1,800
    edited March 15
    It will be a good game someday ! Maybe after a year or maybe 2... But for now its not... Now it's an early access or even a beta... I would go as far as call it unfinished and too many cut corner ! it could have really used a longer delay.

Best advice I can give you - wait for IE (ME v2) and buy it then. Most of the bugs should be fixed by then (hopefully)!

I have pre-ordered it... played it (80 hours) and now I won't touch it, waiting for fixes and content. Playing other games Now - elden ring, WH2, barotrauma.
    Question:Presumably you’ve needed to create a huge number of new Daemon units to properly flesh them out and give them their own armies?
    Answer:IR: What you’ve just said is so true,
  • philosofoolphilosofool Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,142
    edited March 15
    My honest opinion:

Performance issues were minor for me. I encountered one crash in 80+ hours. The campaign map used to stutter but that's gone with Patch 1.0.2. It is a demanding game.

Bugs are not trivial. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated that my units sometimes drop order or wander off the map. It's not game breaking, but micro is actually harder in this game because there are a lot of maps where you do best spreading troops out. When you run to the east side and tell your units to move to the center and then go the west side to manage the battle there, it's annoying to have your east side units standing around a minute later, not doing anything. Or to discover that a unit of archers you told your infantry to attack have been blissfully pummeling your bloodthirster with arrows because the infantry is bored. On the other hand, it's not like units stop following orders completely, leavig you no or limited control. Repeating commands usually gets the job done. Some people are really mad about bugs that I think are a lot smaller.

Gameplay is controversial:
    - Some people hate minor settlement battles. Some people don't mind them. Some people like them. Most people wish that autoresolve was a little less bonkers so that you could autoresolve them. They can take 5 minutes even if you have an overwhelming force. (They can also finish a lot faster.)
    - The rifts are controversial. Basically, you are going to have to deal with enemy spawns periodically. I like it. Some people hate it. Some are on the fence.
    - The narrative/objective is positively loathed by some. I would say that this seems to be rising as the number one complaint. Others find it to be fine. I haven't seen anyone talk about want to play it over and over.

Content and aesthetics:
    - The maps are better, though see above about minor settlements.
    - The faction content is the best in the series in my opinion. I love it all.
    - The models are beautiful. Same with the music.Some people are mad about too much reskinning. One look at exalted bloodletters or nurglings makes me perfectly happy that CA spent time on the new models and I don't care about blue knights.
    - Graphics are better... but you need the hardware for it.
    - The campaign map has some stuff that people have called "cartoony." That's not the word I would use, but some of the details have odd proportions. Others, like the chaos corruption, are really excellent.

I like the game. But it's hard for me to recommend right now. So many people don't like it, I would say that there's just a good chance you will be one of them. So, wait for mod support or IE or just a good gameplay rework from CA before buying. It's more fun to play a game that you enjoy than be disappointed. I would say being patient is a good way to do yourself a favor.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 32,706
    It’s a great game with massive potential but also some issues. I love the new races, the mechanics and all the nee changes. The Diplomacy rework is a true game changer for me. But I just absolutely hate the souls race and the narrative campaign in general. It’s not well balanced (Skrag) and overall simply not fun. But if you remove the rifts and the souls race it’s absolutely amazing.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 35,572

"Bad community".

Passionate and diverse community that points out flaws in design and implementation and does not suck the teats of the devs. The "haters" and "white knights" abound clash against each other and there are many others in between, leaning one way or another.

There are development teams that would sacrifice newborns to Tzeentch for a community as passionate as this one.

Ad hominem-ing the whole community, because they dare criticize the product that is chock full of flaws is textbook enablement of anti-consumer practices.
    Responding like this tells me there's a grain of truth to it.

Criticism is fine. Multiple people regularly fantasising about how terrible the game is and how it'll fail is also fine but hardly a sign of a good community.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu usurper, pog wog warrior, poggers patroller

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 8,385
    Cons:
    • It's bugged. In my Kislev playthrough I didn't get Boris quest battle and in my Khorne playthrough "rematch" button disappeared.
    • Rosters are tiny. With some races it's not that big of a problem, with others you will be using more-or-less same armies for entire game. Abandoned my Slaanesh playthrough because of that.
    • The whole Realms of Chaos things takes too much time and isn't fun to do again and again. It would work much better as some sort of additional mechanic.
    • Some good ideas feel unfinished, like Daemon Prince progression. The core concept behind that mechanic is solid, but rewards that you get aren't that good or intresting.
    Pros:
    • New races feel different from anything we had before.
    • Settelments can be fun to defend.
    • Plenty of small QoL improvements.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,706

"Bad community".

Passionate and diverse community that points out flaws in design and implementation and does not suck the teats of the devs. The "haters" and "white knights" abound clash against each other and there are many others in between, leaning one way or another.

There are development teams that would sacrifice newborns to Tzeentch for a community as passionate as this one.

Ad hominem-ing the whole community, because they dare criticize the product that is chock full of flaws is textbook enablement of anti-consumer practices.

Criticism is fine. Multiple people regularly fantasising about how terrible the game is and how it'll fail is also fine but hardly a sign of a good community.
    People who think it's failed and will be abandoned can be counted on one hand.

People unhappy with the game offering feedback? Hundreds.

People fed up with it and doing other things? 10s of THOUSANDS.
    Glory matters not.

• demonisbestdemonisbest Registered Users Posts: 225

"Bad community".

There are absolutely bat-guano-mad posters that expect the near-impossible and then go off the rails when their unrealistic expectations aren't met and there are also posters that attack anyone that doesn't -10/10- the game.

There are also people that lose their cool once in a while, but otherwise act reasonably.

But the out of the norm people are not "The Community" as a whole - there are many people with well moderated opinions, people providing insights to the lore, giving good feedback etc - and using the fringe cases to paint the whole community as "bad" is what only adds to its polarization of these forums.

And what bugs me the most, it allows one to hand-wave many opinions (that do not conform to his own) as unhinged and help create mini-echo-chambers that tend to help noone.
  • RJCPSRJCPS Registered Users Posts: 530
    honest opinion from a DoC fan that got the game just because of it? wait for a sale when IE is out.

Not even the kind of DoC being playable saved it for me. Prologue was cool, one campaign was more than enough and i finished it mostly because i wanted to play with belakor. By the time the race ends, there is no point in getting him so i have yet to have the desire to play the game after the first few days when that campaign was finished.

could try other races, but dont really want to do exactly the same thing with a different colour

a side note that also hit hard for me is the pace of the batles. seem even faster than before which kills it for me. i have no issues in microing and winning them. but what's the point of having new races if i dont even look at the units? at this pace they could be pink boxes and the visual spectacle wouldnt be that much different. this side note is the main reason why this franchise isnt living to its potential for me, and why i see little point in buying future dlc's (and haven't bought most of the others when they were released).
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    It has a LOT of potential...potential I'm hoping CA will realize over the coming years.
  • Cochus1Cochus1 Registered Users Posts: 60
    I think this forum isn't the best place to find a impartial opinion about the game. Most ppl posting here are only feeding their hate while ppl who likes it would avoid to enter this nest of haters because obvious reasons
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,682
    My complaints boils down to the narrative campaign. It does indeed railroad you into it unless you don't mind a "you lost" screen by turn 150ish and you can't continue the campaign btw.

As for sieges, I love them overall but have grown to be below neutral to the buildable towers and walls. They seem ignorable on the attack while making it to easy on the defence, that and it does take you out of the immersion of it all for me. I wouldn't mind if it was a buildable before the battle though.

Another note about sieges is i find the naysayer exaggerate greatly. WH2 was as much of a siege fest by turn 30 and I highly doubt people actually played the attacks on unwalled cities as much as they say they do. Manually fighting vs 4 spearmen and 2 crossbowmen? What's the point? Auto it and move on. If anything I would say that the current auto resolve simply gives to much of an advantage to the defenders that you have to do pointless battles yourself at the moment, when they fix it, which I hope they will, many will just auto their way through it like every other total war game.

Overall I enjoy the game, is it WH2 levels of fun? Sadly no but it isn't a fair competition either. It has a good foundation and will get there with a few DLCs. Hell, just putting a sandbox mode on the current map would do a lot to remove much of my annoyance with the game (the narrative).
  • SeetheSeethe Registered Users Posts: 250
    Extremely solid foundation. I even enjoy the rifts, other than some balancing issues. The biggest problems right now IMO:

1. research, traits, skills are trash. they need fixing
    2. post launch attention is bad. emergency bug fixing needed.
    3. no blood after 1 month. they better massively improve it or something
    4. immortal empires looks like will take a while. not that big of an issue for me, because I enjoy the base campaign. still, shouldn't have released the game so far from it.
  • Tempus_fugitTempus_fugit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,384
    All total war games are best about 6 months after launch. They will fix things and it will be a good - no, a great magnum opus.

At the moment, it had all the hallmarks of a great game biding its time.

You can replace the demon prince with your own demon Herald on turn one. The chaos favour is faction wide and divorced from the general. That means you can have a true your own flavour game. And yes, they can ascend to greater demons.

Ditto for other factions, and you can almost see how the full world game will look.

This pre whole world first game is a good mini campaign introducing the demon parts and Cathay. Kinda like the wood elf mini campaign. Not bad, pretty cool and some nice quirks.
    There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: All factions VH, Wood Elves on L. TWWH2: Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven, Khalida, High Elves, Vampirates. ME: Khalida, Vampire Counts, Carcasonne, Wood Elves
  • LyserusLyserus Registered Users Posts: 180
    First campaign Katarina (I pick her mostly to unlock all there are to unlock)

My plan was to play multiple campaigns, but after the first campaign my thoughts are just "ugh, why bother" with all the problems

That should represent majority of the players (not saying every stopped at one, but WH3 sure burns out faster with current state)
  • StoreslemStoreslem Registered Users Posts: 732
    zuendl86 said:

I bought it... I played a few custom battles and thats it ;)

I am waiting for IE :D

I knew it would be this way :D

lol same but instead of IE im waiting for my mod support so i can fix the game myself. didint touch campaign yet
  • GuillermidasGuillermidas MadridRegistered Users Posts: 369
    Game has its issues, nothing really uneexpected. I'd say, less bugs than what I thought would be.

My big issue is performance. I actually had to buy a new laptop (i get it this weekend) to play without potatoe 20fps low graphics (it used to run game 2 on high), but WH3 has soo many particle effects added. Still, game need better performance.

But the one thing that really surpasses all is the thing noone talks about, it seems...

2-8 COOP SYMULTANEOUS TURN CAMPAIGNS.

This new feature is game changing, i take my hat off, CA (if we had it from start would had been much betteer though xD).
    "It's small, filthy and noisy. H! Just like a dwarf!"
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 5,020
    It´s good, tho the depth is limited due to no steam workshop.
  • RazmirthRazmirth CalgaryRegistered Users Posts: 2,256
    Wow, thanks for All the replies everyone.

Tbh, as soon as I read there’s more settlement battles, I’m straight up not interested. I found settlement battles to be an unending slog/source of annoyance in tww2. A battle that should take 5 min turns into 15-20. And with hundreds of settlements in game, and the AI camping them constantly, it just turns into more of the same. New races, animations, units, mechanics etc are great, but the fundamental issue of constant siege battles does nothing for me.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’ll skip it till they patch it at the very least, if not entirely. A shame for sure. But I’m grateful for all of your input!!