Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gone back to Warhammer 2

XigeXige Registered Users Posts: 9
I've been a massive fan of of the Total war Warhammer for years,
Having acquired every DLC of all games and thoroughly enjoyed almost everything.

The previous iterations of the game have been that enjoyable that I purchased Three Kingdoms and Troy even though I had little interest in the titles.

Now Warhammer 3 what can I say... I can't quite put my finger on it, Maybe its the races or maybe the campaign but honestly somehow it just doesn't work. Mostly I'm disappointed with the lack of open field battles because I honestly hate the small settlement battles because how often and repetitive they are. Building towers in real time just doesn't make sense. I don't know how the locals can build a tower in 90 second? How do you plan a siege knowing that a tower will be built because a faster unit has flanked behind and recaptured a small square in an area you have just demolished. Ironically I like the maps. Any defensive points needs to erected prior to battle, surely this makes common sense?
The overall feel is different and many points have greatly improved but the lack of open field war stops it being Total war

I'm sure many people have already said all of the above but I'd much rather have another Warhammer 2 DLC over anymore Warhammer 3. Don't get me wrong warhammer 2 siege was very poor but it didn't stop me wanting to play.

Anyone else gone back?

Comments

• Theo91#7431Theo91#7431 Registered Users Posts: 2,901
    nah, not yet. i did one campaign in WH3 and decided it's best to take a break from TW till IE comes out.
  • neverendingneverending Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,940
    I can't play either right now because I know what I'm missing from both and it's just annoying to think about. I might try another race when modding gets put back in and we can easily dismiss design decisions we don't agree with CA about again (and also enhance aesthetics that they never seem to want to address).
    5900x @ stock , 4x8gb 3600mhz 14-16-16-36
    ASUS TUF 3080 12 GB
    4TB Sabrent NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 10,800
    I'm not playing WH3 right now but neither am I coming back to WH2, I stopped playing it a week after S&F because it become just more of the same, that hasn't changed, I will come back to WH3 when there is more to do.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • ArneSo#7705ArneSo#7705 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,060
    edited March 16
    I can’t for the life of me go back to WH2 where all the new additions and improvements are missing. The game feels so outdated compared to WH3. So I just wait for IE.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,738
    Im playing abit of both, the mods they released for WH3 at discord has brought back alot of the fun.
    But i also play other games so my free time isnt filled with ust wh either
  • KonostauloKonostaulo Registered Users Posts: 12
    I just can't go back to WH2, I tried it, but feels soooo outdated. WH3 has better graphics, QoL changes that are much appreciated, cool effects, cool factions and mechanics... It justs needs bugfixing, tweaking a bit the campaign so it doesn't get boring this easily and some balancing (specially for Slaanesh, Daniel and Nurgle). And of course IE.

Meanwhile, as Laindesh said, the mods are compensating the waiting. Is a great game, just needs polishing, like almost all new games nowadays. Even Elden Ring came with multiple bugs.
  • ammo2095#8079ammo2095#8079 Registered Users Posts: 1,479
    I'm considering it. I'm sick of w3 and all of its bugs.

I honestly feel like LOTW in a sense. I played the game so much, I see those bugs everywhere and can relate to being absolutely done with the game until CA patches certain stuff.
  • talonn#7575talonn#7575 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,825
    nope. Still having fun playing 'no rift' mod. I got bored of fighting chaos over and over again, so I formed alliance with LM and declared war against Empire and boii was the battle so much fun

• capybarasiesta89#4722capybarasiesta89#4722 Senior Member Edinburgh, ScotlandRegistered Users Posts: 5,430
    I am going back to other games, giving it a break for month or two depending on IE release and Workshop, Patch. Can't play it anymore, got 91 hours clocked so far, but there is no enjoyment from playing campaign, just I enjoy mainly visuals and sound design mainly, but that's not enough.
    h1feizw8yzk6.jpg
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 7,472
    I thought about that, but just couldn't be arsed. I've played TWW2 to death, and I thought it was getting stale nearly two years back.

Better to take a break from the whole game for six months or so, then come back to it. If TWW3 is still a mess, TWW2 will be less familiar
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • CaentyrCaentyr Registered Users Posts: 465
    Xige said:

Having acquired every DLC of all games and thoroughly enjoyed almost everything.

The previous iterations of the game have been that enjoyable that I purchased Three Kingdoms and Troy even though I had little interest in the titles.

Now Warhammer 3 what can I say... I can't quite put my finger on it, Maybe its the races or maybe the campaign but honestly somehow it just doesn't work. Mostly I'm disappointed with the lack of open field battles because I honestly hate the small settlement battles because how often and repetitive they are. Building towers in real time just doesn't make sense. I don't know how the locals can build a tower in 90 second? How do you plan a siege knowing that a tower will be built because a faster unit has flanked behind and recaptured a small square in an area you have just demolished. Ironically I like the maps. Any defensive points needs to erected prior to battle, surely this makes common sense?
    The overall feel is different and many points have greatly improved but the lack of open field war stops it being Total war

I'm sure many people have already said all of the above but I'd much rather have another Warhammer 2 DLC over anymore Warhammer 3. Don't get me wrong warhammer 2 siege was very poor but it didn't stop me wanting to play.

Anyone else gone back?

Me
    I'm still on my greenskin mappaint.

Everyone hates me, but I'm too strong to care. I'm having a blast. Turns out for all my time in tww2 there are factions that I have completely untouched and Greenskins were on that list, Going to try skaven next then maybe a modified tomb kings campaign and I'll finish off with some Dark elves. (I mainly play "good factions")

I'm sure as hell not going to sit in quiet misery waiting for CA to hand me fun on a silver platter. What kind of loser would do that?

• BrynjarKBrynjarK Registered Users Posts: 915
    Xige said:

Anyone else gone back?

Not going back. I LOVED Warhammer II. But im done with it. Loving Warhammer III so far and looking forward to the development of the final chapter. Chaos Dwarfs and Immortal Empires incoming. Hopefully people will continue to support the game so we get some more DLC after that

• AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,417
    Just wait to IE comes out - that's the true Total War experience anyway.
  • 1v0#35621v0#3562 Registered Users Posts: 2,290
    Already back in WH2 days ago, I do miss the diplomacy and the bigger maps (still not sure about the buildables).
    For now WH2 is no question asked better ! its great to play without the bugs !

Just look at this and imaginate if it was a big map like in WH3...

Question:Presumably you’ve needed to create a huge number of new Daemon units to properly flesh them out and give them their own armies?
    Answer:IR: What you’ve just said is so true,
  • TancredIIQuenelles#3970TancredIIQuenelles#3970 Registered Users Posts: 1,302
    Vaited for warhammer 3 to start playing the finished game

• John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 1,523
    edited March 16
    6k+ hrs in WH2, but i'm not going back.
    Im very much enjoying WH3. I modded the rifts out after my 2nd campaign, and im having an absolute blast. Played Kislev, Tzeentch and Slaanesh. Planning to go for Khorne and Ogres next. Then maybe Cathay and Nurgle eventually. I still have lots to do.
  • RicinRicin Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 23
    For me, WHIII is like a beta version of what the game should be. It's buggy, lacks content, and has a really boring tedious campaign that is only fun to play once or twice, but that's it. There are too many preset battles in the campaign that you have to fight over and over again, really crappy design in my opinion and I hope they bring the teams that were responsible for the DLCs for WHII to fix what the main team did to this game and hopefully fire them. The new siege battles are different than the boring WHII ones, but not better, just different and maybe a bit worse as it now makes more sense to not build walls and they feel even more arcade-like (stupid tower system). I'm sure some are really enjoying it, but I have been back playing WHII for a while now and it is far more enjoyable for me despite some of the quality of life improvements that came with WHIII (diplomacy, items, etc..), and despite the fact that CA broke a bunch of stuff in the last DLC for WHII then just walked away and never patched them.

As for supporting this game so we can have more DLC's, as people are afraid that CA will stop developing it unless we continue to support this subpar product (as 75% of the player base is no longer playing), I say ney! If it dies, it dies and that should be a lesson for CA to learn, but they won't learn it with this sentiment that we have to accept this poor product and support it. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to die, and I don't think it will, but we should stop rewarding incompetence, as WHIII obviously was a bit of a flop.

However, the one thing that does worry me is that CA has/had no plans to release the combined map anytime soon given that with WHII we were told ahead of time that it would be a month after launch, and we still have no word on when it is coming for WHIII. That for me is the true risk to this game. If CA spends its resources trying to fix the boring campaign and continues to not prioritize the Immortal/mortal empires map, this game will die, or at least that's my fear.