Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How do you find the design of factions in Warhammer 3?

ammo2095ammo2095 Registered Users Posts: 1,011
With the game being out for a month, it's safe to assume everyone got a feel for the new races.

What's your general opinion of the factions in Warhammer 3?

How do you find the design of factions in Warhammer 3? 139 votes

They're not designed well
4%
Mr_Finley7TennisgolfbollLoupi_Lotor12mightygloinColdrage20 6 votes
They're not designed well, because they lack additional units
2%
grimgor_ironsideSilentCipherThanos_ballMahDog 4 votes
They're not designed well, because they don't reflect the lore well
3%
lcmiracleStoomCryptic_FreezeDTAPPSNZkaiki_utokyo 5 votes
They're not designed well, because the start positions are bad
2%
55JoNNoGeorgeTrumanBelisaar 3 votes
They're not designed well, because they are difficult to play
0%
Qinshi 1 vote
They're ok
15%
IchontalonnBmnoble981StoreslemAbmongkitekaze1v0Ben1990Surge_2zagumaarAicCosmic_LichBeargod_X99X_00aMint1BesidesToMkallKaosfyreMortarch66apophas123 22 votes
They work well, fitting with lore aspect in mind and general design
49%
karlvontyrSteph_F_Davidcarlod95Xz3roXSerkeleteomatSyrioForel89DVersionJastalllSteelRoninPeppisBarnak410NevxCrajohmewade44Odie0351XyphaOtters007endurCountTalabecland 69 votes
They're not fully finished
20%
LaindeshMaedrethnircapybarasiesta89Mogwai_ManRikisSerPusLordTorquemadocanaskufareeimnrkShiraiZenshoThursdaythe12thTimpeyosaweendraGhettobibleammo2095ToxicFlamessteelworknyobienTheJef3 29 votes

Comments

• MordrenMordren Registered Users Posts: 100
    They're pretty solid for the most part and even gave Ogres the chance to feel like nomadic brutes by giving them sub par settlements and very powerful camps that they can place anywhere to return to for food and tear down if needed, being able to place settlements like this was, for me very unexpected and it's crazy how much more depth the factions have now compared to game one races.
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 8,776
    For the moment they are good, now we have to see how they are by the end of WH3 life.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • BloatedCorpse1234BloatedCorpse1234 Registered Users Posts: 204
    edited March 21
    Sure they need DLC/FLC content, but they’re generally well made.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,683

For the moment they are good, now we have to see how they are by the end of WH3 life.

dis

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• KaosfyreKaosfyre Registered Users Posts: 89
    They're ok
    I think they are generally very good. They evoke a different playstyle and different estimate factors, which is quite outstanding.

Certain things need to be expanded and cleaned up, but I think faction design has been a resounding example to the industry.
  • KaosfyreKaosfyre Registered Users Posts: 89
    They're ok
    My biggest complaint would be that I dont like the design of the harmony mechanic because it feels fake and artificial. I get combined arms, but forcing my archers to be geographically located beside my infantry doesnt make sense, both in real life and within the warhammer universe.

But other than that, the factions all feel different and fun.
  • JastalllJastalll Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,729
    edited March 21
    They need DLC for sure, but the foundations are far more solid than any of the base races game 1 and 2 had save Tomb Kings. Every race is already complete and flavorful in terms of mechanics whereas previous races have been needing constant updates to be at that level or still aren't (Lizardmen being a good example).
  • cabans33cabans33 Registered Users Posts: 1,168
    You missed the option "Awrsome mechanics"

They are awesome and even more if we compare them to game 2 at launch and considering that there are 8!!!!!!!!!! different factions with different mechanics
  • overtaker40overtaker40 Registered Users Posts: 865
    edited March 21
    **** your poll. They are designed great, have cool unique mechanics, feel and i look forward to new units being added and new legendary lords with their own unique mechanics.

Cults are pretty meh though.
    I like all the races. Equally. Wood elves are just the first among equals.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,800
    **** poll.

Every option is trying to wedge someone somewhere.

The factions as stand alone objects are packed with stuff and capture a good amount of feel. Khorne is rampagy, Kislev is packed to the brim and I love their campaign and I'm very eager to give them a go on IE. Can keep going on but.. for the quality of start I'm just not going to give that effort.
  • ammo2095ammo2095 Registered Users Posts: 1,011
    edited March 21
    Ok, cheers.
  • steam_164509919181MUJbunRsteam_164509919181MUJbunR Registered Users Posts: 109
    They are designed very well. Sure they need DLCs but that can be said about every starting roster in the Total War Warhammer series.
  • philosofoolphilosofool Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,146
    6 ways to complain and 1 overly specific endorsement.

My answer: "They are the best we have ever received upon release."
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,167
    They are OK for the initial launch of the game. However, they are still lacking a few units, this will come with DLC
  • EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 746
    Give up on the polls. You really have no clue how to set up without inherent, railroading biases. Just stick to discussions is my advice.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,471

It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,381
    They could use more work.
  • sasori1548sasori1548 Registered Users Posts: 540
    Overall i am very positive when it comes to WH3 factions. They all feel just right with some minor issues. For instance i love the way slannesh plays but since impact damage is bugged (will be fixed hopefully in 1.1) i havent been able to enjoy them to the fullest extend.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,082
    I hate the roid monkey physiques they gave Kislev, the gratuitous cartoon ice effects, why do boyars dual wield axes like a Khornate champion, and why the **** did Tzar guard, their most elite infantry not get a unique model?

For every amazing model (ice court, patriarchs) there is a terrible one
  • GeorgeTrumanGeorgeTruman Registered Users Posts: 253
    They're not designed well, because the start positions are bad
    The races are awesome imo. 10/10 poll
  • 1v01v0 Registered Users Posts: 1,831
    They're ok
    The design is really good the features are good, my main problems are the rosters (and reskins) !
    Question:Presumably you’ve needed to create a huge number of new Daemon units to properly flesh them out and give them their own armies?
    Answer:IR: What you’ve just said is so true,
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Registered Users Posts: 1,554
    Faction design is good. The ability to *develop* your faction via tech tree improvements and landmark improvements is a bit missing right now because tech trees are mostly weaksauce.
  • StoreslemStoreslem Registered Users Posts: 736
    They're ok
    Mostly everything is fine except tzentch warriors, Greasus model, kugath need more nurglings to carry him, terracota sentinel looks awful and oversized kislev men
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 1,120
    edited March 22

Faction design is good. The ability to *develop* your faction via tech tree improvements and landmark improvements is a bit missing right now because tech trees are mostly weaksauce.

This is pretty much where I stand. After doing a discussion thread on this, I feel they overcorrected with how little units get buffed at this stage from red line and tech tree.

And it’s not even that the buffs are “small”, but how few affect particular units. If you look at the High Elf tree, many of those techs will buff 1/4-1/3 of the roster or even more. So it just ends up being more layered
    Post edited by EarthDragon on
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Registered Users Posts: 1,554

This is pretty much where I stand. After doing a discussion thread on this, I feel they overcorrected with how little units get buffed at this stage from red line and tech tree.

And it’s even that the buffs are “small”, but how few affect particular units. If you look at the High Elf tree, many of those techs will buff 1/4-1/3 of the roster or even more. So it just ends up being more layered
    Yeah, also some of them are just *wrong* for the units they apply to.

Cathay's Rank 7 infantry skill is the ultimate example, giving them a maximum of 3 charge bonus and some leadership, of which they have loads because they're rank 7 and in harmony with a character nearby because that's what you do with Cathay in campaign.

Or the ones that give leadership to the Terracotta Sentinel.

Or the ones that add spells to greater daemon units, that you'll never use because they don't get the upgraded version and so you'll always cast with a hero or lord instead, which are all casters, because their spells are cheaper and winds are limited (or at least supposed to be).

Techs and skills that apply to units should be designed starting from the perspective "what do these units do and what would make them better at doing it". Otherwise they're pointless.

And if they're situational they should be powerful. Cathay also has a bunch of techs that are both situational *and* weak (only apply to Yin or Yang armies, or only on attack or defence, but are also really small numbers). Those are also not interesting.

Also hero traits, Woooow! My Ogre can have +3 charge bonus! That will make all the difference to my strategy.

Every time you go into the tech tree, or lord skill tree, or lord or hero recruitment panel you should be faced with a decision that feels difficult because you want everything not easy because you don't care about anything.
  • AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 3,657
    They're ok
    I can't say they don't reflect the lore, they do.
    There's no option for not liking design direction of the new lore...
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
    Abmong said:

I can't say they don't reflect the lore, they do.
    There's no option for not liking design direction of the new lore...

I'm not too verse on the lore, but will remember. Thanks.

I hate the roid monkey physiques they gave Kislev, the gratuitous cartoon ice effects, why do boyars dual wield axes like a Khornate champion, and why the **** did Tzar guard, their most elite infantry not get a unique model?

Relax mate.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,471

Aye
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,744
    They're ok

Hopefully they can be resized by modders.
    Glory matters not.