Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why are people so hyped for chaos dwarves?

Comments

• PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 5,601
    Crajoh said:

Cause it’s all about the hats

Basically hats
  • 445Aas445Aas Registered Users Posts: 399

They will the most powerful roster in the game. Most powerful artillery in the trilogy. Most powerful warmachines. Also their own greater daemons the K'daai Destroyers.

They also will have a super tanky front line and also have monstrous cavalry,Their elite infantry is called the infernal guard and they have one of the most badass weapons called fireglaives. The fireglaive is a compact, heavily constructed repeating handgun. Unusually the weapon also incorporates a single-edged chopping blade allowing it to be wielded in close combat by a skilled fighter, much like a halberd.

When CA give us the fireglaives finaly, I hope they do them right and don't forget that they are handguns or that they are repeating or have axes blades.

I am excited for them but sometimes little things get lost. The "lost factions" mod for Warhammer 2 completly forgot fireglaives are guns and made them flaming halberds I believe.

And some of the units in Warhammer 3 that I was excited about have some flaws here and there. Ogre leadbelchers and Ironblaster sound design for example is mediocre for the size of these guns... compared to the awesome sound of cathays cannons that's sad.

And rhinox cavalry beeing the same size as mournfangs. Or geasus cart of course. Some little things in the overall perfect presentation of my beloved ogre Kingdoms.

Chaos Dwarfs are the next thing I am excited about. Lets hope they make them right.

By the way, please update the hellcannon visuals! Not the other way around where you recycle the outdated hellcannon crew for most of the chaos dwarf infantry, ok CA?
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 1,472
    Neodeinos said:

The better question is, why aren't you hyped by that ?

When I decided to search for CD units and machines, to see how they look, I was expecting something twisted like Hellcannon.

But I found something like this picture, conventional machinery, no tilting flesh, nothing "alive". I was expecting a fusion between flesh and machine, but looks like nope.

Then, they have Black Orcs and Hobgoblins and conventional machines. Not flying machines.

CD are meh to mee.
  • DrJammatDrJammat Registered Users Posts: 324

The Hobgoblin revolt is coming.

"The hobgoblins are revolting"
    "Yes, I agree"

I am looking forward to Chaos Dwarfs because they were an official race, but never fully implemented properly. The White Dwarfs Presents army book was limited, but interesting. Then there was the Tamurkhan supplement which looked to have added more, but again was short of a full army list. Given what we've seen from Norsca, Kislev, Vampire Coast and Cathay, I'm excited to see what we end up with for the Chaos Dwarfs. Will it be a mix of both lists? Will new units and characters be added?

And I want to smash things as Astrogoth.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,960

Neodeinos said:

When I decided to search for CD units and machines, to see how they look, I was expecting something twisted like Hellcannon.

But I found something like this picture, conventional machinery, no tilting flesh, nothing "alive". I was expecting a fusion between flesh and machine, but looks like nope.

Then, they have Black Orcs and Hobgoblins and conventional machines. Not flying machines.

CD are meh to mee.
    Hellcannon is like it is because its sentient and alive. Its not a mix of flesh though.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 1,472

Neodeinos said:

CD are meh to mee.
    Hellcannon is like it is because its sentient and alive. Its not a mix of flesh though.
    mix of flesh or not, hellcannons are awesome, and I was expecting that level of "machines" for CD, but what they have?, normal machine, with chaos symbols, painted red, gold and black....
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,885
    edited March 25
    • They have hats.
    • You get elite chaotic Dwarfs with insane artillery, monster mounts for characters, monstrous cav, monstrous infantry and tons of cheap slaves while also wielding magic. Whats not to love?

• GW had neglected them very long. After their recent revival through Warhammer Forge, before GW closed shop there and killed WHFB to make AoS..., there is a lot of hopeful thinking that GW+CA can give them a proper overhaul and make some something to stick around for "The Old World". The overhaul in this case ranges from the miniature design up to implementing new stuff (or updating old unit stuff) that will make the armyroster work compared to nuKislev or Cathay or every other bloody race which always got more frequent updates and new addition.
    • I will be very interesting if CA+GW overhaul the design of Astragoth.

As probably THE main character I doubt they will let him out. But will they give him the old mechanical suit or will they think up something more modern?
    • Besides, what else is left after Chaos Dwarf? Eastern Kingdoms seem dead. Arabay has no place on teh campaign map. Dogs of War are questionable and TEB are also not on the map. After Chaos Dwarfs the best we can hope for is something something Nagash and after three Undead races already, its debatable how much "new stuff" will get us hyped there ;) Hobgoblin Khanate looking a bit bad from teh campaign map and while I would like me a Kurgan/Hung DLC, it certainly would not hit the same note as something really new like Chaos Dwarfs or Nippon. So yeah, why not be hyped for Dawi Zharr instead?
    -----Red Dox
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 4,697
    I’m excited for blunderbuss units.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
    And the hats, always the hats.
  • BelisaurioBelisaurio Registered Users Posts: 146
    Red_Dox said:

GW had neglected them very long. After their recent revival through Warhammer Forge, before GW closed shop there and killed WHFB to make AoS...

-----Red Dox
    Forgeworld shop is still open, and Chaos Dwarfs were removed in 2021 and not when GW killed WHF (one of their charcters was released for AoS).
  • 6nieve66nieve6 Registered Users Posts: 550
    If CA doesnt give them proper hats this forum would be drowned in lava and ashes
    6nieve6 said:

If CA doesnt give them proper hats this forum would be drowned in lava and ashes

It’s CA, I’m worried.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 32,638

6nieve6 said:

It’s CA, I’m worried.
    CA is just using whatever they get from GW.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
    ArneSo said:

6nieve6 said:

It’s CA, I’m worried.
    CA is just using whatever they get from GW.
    Those hats better scrape the sky. 😉
  • DrazhoaththeAshenDrazhoaththeAshen Registered Users Posts: 790
    Originally was avoiding the thread because I don't want to be too much of a one trick pony, but I noticed that no one had mentioned it yet so I wanted to touch on the narrative of the Chaos Dwarfs. I love the aesthetics, the lore, and the roster... obviously. But there is something about certain narrative elements combined with the Chaos Dwarfs that makes them extra special to me.

If I had to sum up my take on the story of the Chaos Dwarfs within the setting in a word: tragedy. Their story is a deceptively tragic one. They are so horrifically malevolent that it can be easy to forget the circumstances that led to their transformation. They were cut off from the roots of their civilization, felt abandoned, and were forced to look on the suffering and decay of their people. In the end they engaged in a what should be a deeply troubling Faustian bargain. Their desperation reached such depths that they turned to Hashut for salvation. But what does salvation look like? Turning to stone? Being born with mutations, excuse me, "blessings" of your God? Being torn apart by the birth of your offspring? Corrupting the values that were a cornerstone of your people? They are tortured, but are somewhat unaware of that torture. Even sometimes reveling in the torture (it's a great honor to give birth to a bull centaur, for example...)

I am similarly interested in such stories in real life. Ivan the Terrible has a fascinating biography, for example. His life was horrifically bad. Grew up in the shadow of the corrupt and self-serving machinations of his boyars. He was almost certainly abused as a child. His mother may well have been poisoned. His beloved wife may have been poisoned. He gradually lost touch with reality and broke. Contemporary accounts report him torturing animals, spending all hours of the night devouring religious texts, killing his beloved son Ivan whose succession was one of his lifelong goals and a driving purpose in life (precipitated by an argument regarding Ivan IV's mistreatment of his son's wife.) He was a monster. But he wasn't born that way.

Chaos Dwarfs are monsters. They are slavers, torturers, and tyrants. But the tragedy surrounding how they became that way can warp how you perceive them. Then you add their wealth, finery, and the thin veneer they have maintained surrounding things like honor or loyalty, and you have a race with boatloads of depth.
    The sage never tries to store things up.
    The more he does for others, the more he has.
    The more he gives to others, the greater his abundance.
    The Tao of heaven is pointed but does no harm.
    The Tao of the sage is work without effort.

Yeah, I had a dwarf army (and HE) and friend had chaos dwarfs.
    It always struck me how sad it was we were fighting. The tragedy of the CD is awful. Brothers come back to the ancestors!
  • GrbaGrba Registered Users Posts: 473
    I love "regular" Dwarfs,so chaos ones are also welcomed and plus,I can't wait to see the updated designs of CDs LLs.
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 4,969
    cuz they're the next new shiny thing, and the last proper army book needing to be adapted.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,308
    Reason A. Chaos

Reason B. Dwarfs
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,724
    Chaos Dwarves were awesome, but they were definitely a race that suffered because of the cost and time of getting into any army. Lots of people after 1 to 3 armies didn't branch out as much and this was definitely one of the armies that got hit by that. TK another.

But here in Total Warhammer.. that's not an issue.. I can have my Chaos Dwarves with minimal investment. I can have my mesohellscape dwarves of the tallest hat variety. Eagerly await.
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 1,120
    It really needs to be noted that Even though Chaos is in their title, they aren’t exactly aligned with the other chaos races. They worship a different God (they are essentially a “Hashut” Monogod faction, if you will), and are at odds with any chaos incursion far more then they are participating in said incursion.

This gets mucked up by the fact they exist on the WoC roster already. But they are much more a relunctant allies at times, and probably more in Skaven/Dark Elf category of the Warhammer world then part of the Hordes of Chaos.

That alone makes them an interesting addition
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 1,120
    Nyxilis said:

Chaos Dwarves were awesome, but they were definitely a race that suffered because of the cost and time of getting into any army. Lots of people after 1 to 3 armies didn't branch out as much and this was definitely one of the armies that got hit by that. TK another.

But here in Total Warhammer.. that's not an issue.. I can have my Chaos Dwarves with minimal investment. I can have my mesohellscape dwarves of the tallest hat variety. Eagerly await.

And this can’t be stressed enough.

I would have had a High Elf, Skaven, Bretonnian, Dark Elf, Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarf, and Kislev army if I could have back in the day (and of course Araby as I had Warmaster stuff of theirs)

But that is just too much, in particular for a kid.

Now we get to fully indulge, which is also why those that were there don’t like the armies receiving needless overhauls and changes. That wasn’t what we were looking forward to playing
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 547
    Well cause theyre easy on the eye, at least the FW restyling, actually just the infranty&cavarly, artilleries were kinda lame.
  • DrazhoaththeAshenDrazhoaththeAshen Registered Users Posts: 790

Nyxilis said:

And this can’t be stressed enough.

I would have had a High Elf, Skaven, Bretonnian, Dark Elf, Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarf, and Kislev army if I could have back in the day (and of course Araby as I had Warmaster stuff of theirs)

But that is just too much, in particular for a kid.

Now we get to fully indulge, which is also why those that were there don’t like the armies receiving needless overhauls and changes. That wasn’t what we were looking forward to playing
    I would love to know what it is like to be a kid passionate about this hobby nowadays. When I first got into the hobby the concept of ebay or craigslist was a fair ways away. A couple of months ago I saw at least 5000pts of Skaven for sale in my area, including hard shell cases, for $300. Seller was an awesome guy and what had already been assembled and painted looked fantastic. Of course even that would be a hard sell as a child to your parents, but gosh that would have been a dream when I was 12. I would have bought it myself but I considering at this moment I have a box of flesh hounds, two boxes of pink horrors, a box of blue and brimstone horrors, the better part of a Goreblade start collecting box, and a fair bit more to put together (not even mentioning what I need to prime and paint)... my wife would have killed me.

I'll add, though, that even as an adult with the necessary means it still feels like too much. I despise resin, for instance. Passionately. And at one point to really rock with the hobby you just hemorrhage money. A new nozzle for my iwata eclipse is $30 on its own, as an example. And if you are interested in horde armies, as well. Super duper screwed.
    The sage never tries to store things up.
    The more he does for others, the more he has.
    The more he gives to others, the greater his abundance.
    The Tao of heaven is pointed but does no harm.
    The Tao of the sage is work without effort.

• xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 927
    A number of reasons. They're one of the last major races, their Mesopotamian/Mordor/Isengard theme, some of the best artillery in the game (if not the best), their unique mix on standard Dwarf tactics with flying units and slave Greenskins, hats, etc. Even more practical reasons such as more race variety and tactics to new lore is always great to see.

A big reason though is down to Warhammer's history. They were discontinued as an army around 5th-6th edition (someone correct me on the exact date) but have always had a really dedicated fan following. They were also never forgotten with little lore tidbits like Rykarth and the Hellcannon until finally getting a mini sub-faction list in 8th edition called the Legion of Azgorh (even AOS has mentioned them a few times). This did expand them but was never their true roster as the Legion of Azgorh was only a part of their empire.

TWW3 is the true return of the Chaos Dwarfs as it will take their original LLs and their 5th edition roster and combined it with the Legion of Azgorh (and other other lore elements like Immortals or maybe even the Kollossus, etc). All of that should be updated to a modern look/style which will finally bring the Dawi-Zharr back to the setting.

In terms of the "dedicated fan following", I'm going to be watching people's reactions on Chaos Dwarf Online as that's one of the most dedicated fan groups out there!
  • SurristraszSurristrasz Registered Users Posts: 44
    Big hats.
    Pointy hats.
    Horned hats.
    Hats!
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,704
    ichiha68 said:

What is so unique about the CD faction i see most people crave so much? Isnt it just a chaos faction with dwarven machinery?

The dwarf faction was never the most popular faction in either wh1 or mortal empires, so why is the appeal to CD so big?

Chaos.
    Strong Front Line.
    Guns.
    Daemonic Artillery.
    Rockets.
    Hats.
    Bull Centaurs.
    Magic.

Whats not to like? lol.
    Glory matters not.

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,885

Red_Dox said:

GW had neglected them very long. After their recent revival through Warhammer Forge, before GW closed shop there and killed WHFB to make AoS...

-----Red Dox
    Forgeworld shop is still open, and Chaos Dwarfs were removed in 2021 and not when GW killed WHF (one of their charcters was released for AoS).

Warhammer Forge [the department at that time making the WHFB stuff]

was closed way before Endtimes happend. That included the cancelation of projects they had aimed for. Like "the Battle of Blackfire Pass" stuff. They just sold what they had already finished or could wrap up in less then a month. The K'daii destroyer everyone rightfully hated, just went for example in the garbage. And was then resurrected as a AoS Chaos DP. So Forgeworld just kept things running and focused again more on their 40k stuff, but Warhammer Forge got axed hard.
    Yes, that Shartor guy came pretty early in AoS lifetime and the Chaos Dwarfs got like 2 pages of a armylist like every other WHFB race at the start. Not that it meant much for Tomb Kings, Beastmen or Bretonnia who shortly after were pulled from stores. Afaik Beastmen have in the meanwhile got a foot back into AoS with a own Battletome, so sucks for Tomb Kings & Bretonnia I guess. But I am also pretty unaware of Chaos Dwarfs actually playing a role in AoS and while Forgeworlds shop page is of course still open, old WHFB stuff there is getting pretty rare. The fact that you also know that Chaos Dwarf stuff is not around anymore since 2021 does not really paint a more favourable picture when I said "GW neglected them for long enough".

------Red Dox
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 2,599
    Blaeys said:

Reason A. Chaos

Reason B. Dwarfs

This is a bit embarrassing for you. Spelling hats wrong twice........
  • PappyTronPappyTron Registered Users Posts: 1,136
    Think of all the things that people say Dwarfs need and the Chaos Dwarfs have it.
    "Back in the sweatshop in Ulthuan, we found an Elf, we tossed it right in the soup. Those hungry bastards ate Elf soup every day. What's the worst thing that could happen? Some little snotling chokes on a hairball and dies? So then you toss him in the soup. I was making money hand over foot, literally. Some gobbo lost a hand or a foot, I'd toss it in the soup" - Grom