Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Something has to be going on at CA

13»

Comments

• SwooshSoSwooshSo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,696
    Don't you guys have jobs? Working from home during a pandemic was hard for every company. Nothing was optimal.
    Brief Totalwar history:

STW1 MTW1 - 5 time Clan warbelt winner (As member of clan GreyWolves)
    STW2 - 1 Time Clan warbelt winner (As member of Aggony Clan)
    2v2 Ladder - Rank 1 96% win Ratio Teammate AggonyAMP
    Totalwar Hall of Fame Awards: As voted by the community at totalwar.org
    Badge Name: Hall of Fame 2011
    Award: Most Feared Multiplayer Player 2011
    Badge Name: Hall of Fame 2010
    Award: Best Tea House Contributor 2010

http://db.tt/QwxpUpSa Totalwar Nostalgia!
    http://db.tt/RFwMczYt
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,460
    Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

I'll laugh till my grave that people continue to blame all the issues on Covid and working from home.

Absolute joke.

You can laugh as much as you like, my organisation suffered in terms of output and coms just like many others.
    In Sweden (were we had way less restrictions tha most others) i do not know anyone who wasnt heavily affected by covid. Without thinking ill say 5 people i know and their jobs:

Contractor - large nose dive in orders.

Dentist - closed during a few months, after fewer patients as people waited.

Clinic owner: Sent staff home on leave for months (think it was 6).

Investigator: Working from home, limits in systems, not acess to archives. Much less done. Still playing catch up.

Unit boss: People working from home. Problems with staff mental health, getting work done etc

Dude, if you are working against values in files, things which modders have been able to address (notice how they work from home, in isolation) then no, this is not a valid excuse.

And make no mistake, blaming covid, absolutely is an excuse for the poor state of the game on release.

I have worked in software for near 2 decades, most of it working from home.

You know what you can do?

Access any code.
    Hold MULTIPLE conversations at the same time.
    FOCUS and ignore things without idiots walking into your cubicle to bother you while you try and work.
    Set your own hours, and apply yourself to the best of your ability.

Covid is literally nothing but an excuse, for anything code, or data driven. Creative? Voice Work? Sure, some of that could have been impacted, but lets be real. Covid is not an excuse, its been 2 BLOODY YEARS of covid. If they cant get it together, that's on them.
    I cant be sure how CA has been effected by covid. But i am sure everyone i know and have spoken to about their jobs were massively effected.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,400
    SwooshSo said:

Don't you guys have jobs? Working from home during a pandemic was hard for every company. Nothing was optimal.

nah, people are just lazy they could achieve the same goals.
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,460

SwooshSo said:

nah, people are just lazy they could achieve the same goals.
    None of those i know are lazy. They own their own companies, clinic, are bosses etc

And all of their work took a huge hit.

(None of them are from the UK or work in gaming)
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Pico0Pico0 Registered Users Posts: 284
    Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

I'll laugh till my grave that people continue to blame all the issues on Covid and working from home.

Absolute joke.

You can laugh as much as you like, my organisation suffered in terms of output and coms just like many others.
    In Sweden (were we had way less restrictions tha most others) i do not know anyone who wasnt heavily affected by covid. Without thinking ill say 5 people i know and their jobs:

Investigator: Working from home, limits in systems, not acess to archives. Much less done. Still playing catch up.

Unit boss: People working from home. Problems with staff mental health, getting work done etc

Dude, if you are working against values in files, things which modders have been able to address (notice how they work from home, in isolation) then no, this is not a valid excuse.

And make no mistake, blaming covid, absolutely is an excuse for the poor state of the game on release.

Access any code.
    FOCUS and ignore things without idiots walking into your cubicle to bother you while you try and work.

Covid is literally nothing but an excuse, for anything code, or data driven. Creative? Voice Work? Sure, some of that could have been impacted, but lets be real. Covid is not an excuse, its been 2 BLOODY YEARS of covid. If they cant get it together, that's on them.
    I work as a software engineer and while my domain is not video game dev, I share your opinion about the effect of COVID on the efficiency of software developement. If anything me and my colleagues have been more productive than ever because it really limited useless meetings and outside interference.
    But to be fair I don't know much about video games developement so maybe the organisation of CA team was more impacted than what I imagine.
    Hopefully they managed to optimize their working process so the teams can effectively work from home now, since we might not be done with the COVID yet.
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 2,464
    Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

Absolute joke.

Access any code.

What I don't like is that people are pushing the narrative that COVID is one of the reasons why WH3 is a crappier version of WH2 but the problem is that they screwed up even things that worked and DID NOT NEEDED CHANGING! They screwed the UI, they screwed the units movement, the new maps look like they have pubes instead of trees and there are just many things that were changed that are baffling to say the least.

Yes, more bugs could be expected as well as performance issues, that's normal for every game but not that+design issues/campaign issues and other things.

One of their developers was saying how if they worked all in the office they would have given Katarina a sled instead of a bear...but the moment the players saw Katarin the first question was ''why does she not have a sled and instead has a generic bear?'' .

My guess is that CA's devs are no longer gamer devs, but simply devs doing a job without barely any passion left. That's what explains a lot of the baffling decisions/changes/things they missed. They are simply doing a job to get paid and don't care about ''fun factors'' any longer.

Most people that played ROC for the first time had as a thinking ''what were they thinking ?!'' regarding the campaign design on how un-fun it is and barely rewarding.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 35,617
    edited March 26
    If you have a job you can do solo WFH is fantastic. However anything with collaboration is harder. Training is harder. Learning is harder. Communication is harder. If people can do jobs solo and hold it down they're absolutely going to be more productive on average if they're at the preferred workspace.

That said I've just read @Surge_2 comment and Surge is one of the handful of people on this forum I respect enough to believe hands down. So I'll cede my opinion here.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu usurper, pog wog warrior, poggers patroller

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,641
    KronusX said:

saweendra said:

KronusX said:

saweendra said:

KronusX said:

saweendra said:

KronusX said:

I am clinging to the hope that the absolute horror show that is wh3 is due to covid and we have begun a looong march to fix it.

So covid made them make ****-poor tech trees and poor trait lords?
    that was a good change
    That was a terrible change, now you don't even need to worry about picking hero traits or tech, just roll a dice and you are good to go.
    No it was a good change now you don't have the ridiculous buff stacking in wh 2 where some races had bonkers traits and others none.

They all need to be rebalanced with that a few melee defense actually has meaning the bonkers ones in wh 2

And once a global pop mechanics for races that don't have is introduced we can remove the final thing that made wh 2. Later stages camapagin insufferable doomstacks

So this is a good change in the right direction.
    We will agree to disagree. The traits should be ''those are all so good, I don't know what to pick'' rather than ''all traits are dog-****, therefore it doesn't matter what I pick''.
    No there not dog **** they still matter but not as important or overpowered as it use to be.

They need to gentle power spikes not turn simple generic character on par with another races ll just because they were hit with power creep same with the rest

Techs ...etc should not distort the base line design of a unit to the point of absurd as we saw in wh 2.

So yes this is and will be a great change.
    Yes because of course tech such as ''5 growth'' is something that makes me excited to play the race and it screams ''awesome!''.
    nah but it makes their play style more challanging and apporiate fior their lore, and wish rest of the game 2 stuff being nerfed as well come ie

as for u being excited why should i care , i only care about balance..etc

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,839
    Closed.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
This discussion has been closed.