Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Make Surtha Ek playable!

Mortarch66Mortarch66 Registered Users Posts: 30
Just let us start as him no need for new model or anything. If that is too much then maybe a mod?

Comments

• RedEclipse9RedEclipse9 Registered Users Posts: 36
    I think he would be an interesting LL.
  • ArielAriel Registered Users Posts: 2,188

The final rose has faded,
    The eaves will sing no more;
    The waxen ground will keep you bound,
    Death-pale until the thaw.
    Then she placed the rest of Orion's ashes into the bowl and turned to face the Oak of Ages.
    I used to go by many names here. Crazycrix, Dubinekdubajs, Yrellian and finally Ariel, one of my favourite characters in the setting. Still waiting for Finubar and Naieth!
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 32,714
    Nope he isn’t even a real character and just a meme.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,885
    I rather would prefer Lord Mortkin for example then the chariot memelord. I mean, Norsca is in a bad state and deserves a DLC+rework, so why not pick an actual LL instead of some FLC garbage like Loser Ek?

------Red Dox
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 8,626
    Why waste a LL spot on him when there are actual characters still available?
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous

Some people mistake him for an actual character unfortunately. Just like some also think Sartwhoevencares is a real character that should be a LL… 🙄
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,426
    edited March 28

I think the assumption is he wouldn't take a 'spot' as similar to my boi Alberic - he doesn't need unique voice lines, model or particularly unique mechanics. If it was a distinct choice between him and another LL sure - but I feel most people assume he would/could be added pretty much exactly as he is now.

I would actually welcome having a sort of 'generic' lord for each race. Let's you experience the warhammer world without having to inhabit one of its major characters.

I think the assumption is he wouldn't take a 'spot' as similar to my boi Alberic - he doesn't need unique voice lines, model or particularly unique mechanics. If it was a distinct choice between him and another LL sure - but I feel most people assume he would/could be added pretty much exactly as he is now.

I would actually welcome having a sort of 'generic' lord for each race. Let's you experience the warhammer world without having to inhabit one of its major characters.
    Wulfrik already is the “generic” LL for Norsca.

Let Surtha be a be meme.
  • saruhan72saruhan72 Member Registered Users Posts: 188
    ArneSo said:

If you want to be technical about it, the entire Warhammer universe is just one big meme.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Edinburgh, ScotlandRegistered Users Posts: 5,382
    Nahhh he would've been more suited as Alastair the White Lion character free Lord without taking place on schedule
    #JusticeForTzeentch #JusticeForMonogods

7bmg1fojzz69.jpg
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 2,712
    He is playable! You can grab him pretty early in the norsca campaign, then have him head south to deal with Settra for the unique buff to chariots!
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 5,245
    Thing is, he was a meme back in WH1. That's a long time ago.

Most current players have never experienced the WH1 Norscan Chariot Spam doomstacks, and don't even know why Surtha Ek was so popular/so feared.
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,867
    He certainly doesn't need to be playable.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,215
    I seem to recall Surtha Ek as a name you can already recruit as Norsca. By the third game I don't think many people will know how he used to be a terror of the chariots. I wouldn't mind him getting a unique status, no reason he needs to prohibit any others to be added though.
    saruhan72 said:

ArneSo said:

If you want to be technical about it, the entire Warhammer universe is just one big meme.
    Yea but let’s give Norsca some actual characters instead of Surtha who is also already in the game.
    FrostPaw said:

I seem to recall Surtha Ek as a name you can already recruit as Norsca. By the third game I don't think many people will know how he used to be a terror of the chariots. I wouldn't mind him getting a unique status, no reason he needs to prohibit any others to be added though.

This. Sotek talked about that in one of the most recent Lorebeards episodes, nobody who started with WH2 even knows who Surtha is. It’s a WH1 meme.
  • SchubSchub Registered Users Posts: 1,256
    ArneSo said:

FrostPaw said:

This. Sotek talked about that in one of the most recent Lorebeards episodes, nobody who started with WH2 even knows who Surtha is. It’s a WH1 meme.
    I thought everything Sotek says is wrong? ;-)
    Sigmar protect us all...

• HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,255
    I wouldn’t mind if they just tossed him in as a IE freebie.

Not a Lord Pack or anything of that nature.
    Schub said:

ArneSo said:

FrostPaw said:

I thought everything Sotek says is wrong? ;-)
    I have nothing against Sotek and GboG, in fact I really enjoy their Lorebeards episodes, that’s good quality content. But their speculation videos are often to far fetched.
  • DTAPPSNZDTAPPSNZ Registered Users Posts: 1,492
    Why? there's way better Norcan Characters that could be added.
  • Artjuh90Artjuh90 Registered Users Posts: 1,626
    ArneSo said:

FrostPaw said:

so a rando said soething on the internet so it must be fact. cause that is how the internet works
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,981
    DTAPPSNZ said:

As to 'Why?'...having a nod to the fans/community by making essentially a 'communal fan creation' into a piece of lore would be cool!!

As to 'better' characters being available....a character having existing lore doesn't make that lore 'good' by default. The Norscan characters remaining are largely 'okay'. They aren't terrible. But they're hardly compelling or iconic either. They're definitely a part of the 'B Team' in terms of lore.

I'm sure CA/GW could create just as interesting or cool new lore to flesh out an original character as anything that currently exists for Norsca.

I'm not saying that using an existing character would be bad or anything. Plenty of existing characters could work just fine.

But they're hardly 'omg omg sooo good! How they could possibly pass up including them!!??' levels either. They aren't not hands-down superior options to an original creation.
    ArneSo said:

FrostPaw said:

Sotek is WAAY too wedded to the existing lore. He's ALWAYS opposed to new or original creations (until they're created....then he's just as fine with them as any other existing stuff).

So I really don't think Sotek specifically being opposed to an original character is meaningful or surprising. If it was up to Sotek, the game would have been a literal, pixel for pixel, transcription of existing lore and models only.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,326
    Keep your post comments on THIS thread topic folks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• MODIDDLY1MODIDDLY1 Registered Users Posts: 799
    Valkaar said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

As to 'Why?'...having a nod to the fans/community by making essentially a 'communal fan creation' into a piece of lore would be cool!!

As to 'better' characters being available....a character having existing lore doesn't make that lore 'good' by default. The Norscan characters remaining are largely 'okay'. They aren't terrible. But they're hardly compelling or iconic either. They're definitely a part of the 'B Team' in terms of lore.

I'm sure CA/GW could create just as interesting or cool new lore to flesh out an original character as anything that currently exists for Norsca.

I'm not saying that using an existing character would be bad or anything. Plenty of existing characters could work just fine.

But they're hardly 'omg omg sooo good! How they could possibly pass up including them!!??' levels either. They aren't not hands-down superior options to an original creation.
    because if they are going to create a new norscan character anyway, they should do a shield maiden character, or skin wolf character, or even a fimir character over a meme chariot guy
  • DTAPPSNZDTAPPSNZ Registered Users Posts: 1,492
    Valkaar said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

“Surtha Ek is a marauder chieftain of the Varg tribe. He is known for his excessive use of chariots and skirmish cavalry”

Wow such a great character with such great lore.

Dmitry Tzaryov was a character everyone made memes about, doesn’t mean he should be a LL. In the next patch CA could give Grigor Kyriakin a good defeat trait and make him super OP, better make him a Legendary Lord.

I never found the memes about him funny.

I’m sure there’s a Surtha Ek mod you can enjoy.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 3,092
    edited March 29
    Maybe make him a Rogue Army with all kinds of Chariots? :)

- Norscan ones
    - Kislev ones
    - War Wagons
    - Pump Wagons
    etc.

Then make Surtha bald without a helmet..
    And the Rogue army is called......"Family".....
    DTAPPSNZ said:

Valkaar said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

“Surtha Ek is a marauder chieftain of the Varg tribe. He is known for his excessive use of chariots and skirmish cavalry”

Wow such a great character with such great lore.

Well of course no real lore exists about him NOW.

Just like no lore existed about Miao Ying until after reveal and implementation.

IF they made Surtha Ek playable, that by default would mean he'd be fleshed out with more information than just one line of "he likes chariots".

I'm sure whatever they came up with would be at least as interesting as anything else that is currently available for Norsca, as what's on the table for current Norscans isn't as in depth or complicated as what exists for Malekith or Vlad for example.

And if they go with an established character, fine. That's viable too.

There's just no established characters for Norsca that are SOO awesome and iconic that I'd miss them over an original creation. So an original creation would have just as much potential.

Does that original creation HAVE to be Surtha Ek? No. It could be somebody else. But I personally appreciate the occasional fan easter egg or community nod here and there.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,878

Oh?
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • Ben1990Ben1990 Registered Users Posts: 1,818
    Everyone is Surtha this, Surtha that. But everyone is forgetting about Surtha's pal Felmann who also did some serious badass. But does anyone even remember him? Of course not because why?