Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Does the red UI need to go?

ConstantineZAynConstantineZAyn Registered Users Posts: 858
The game has been out for almost 2 months, what do you think about the UI now?

I personally don't want to play the game because of this red UI and I'm waiting for a mod to get rid of it.

Does the red UI need to go? 161 votes

Remove the red UI and bring back parchment UI.
80%
VessingerLESAMARigbySteph_F_DavidsykalleomatBayesErminazmagickcMaedrethnirgilxd931Bmnoble981OmegaJaknord123456grimgor_ironsideXandarielKayosivCommissar_GIrongutCrajoh 129 votes
I like the red UI and it should stay.
19%
drunkeneagleCactus2philosofoolSusaVileCorbaniteNitros14capybarasiesta89Barnak410XyphaDragantisFinishingLaststeam_164510187762eytEVfsIron_CrownAENARlONWarlord_Lu_BuGulKhan1Kyler_883epic_159735778676N5Mk2wtrokuskrokus@hotmail.comMalalTheRenegade 32 votes
#JusticeForTzeentch

Comments

• ConstantineZAynConstantineZAyn Registered Users Posts: 858
    DTAPPSNZ said:

Options my friend. Red, Blue, Green, Parchment ect. Big QoL improvement.

Giving players options doesn't appear to be part of Total War game design.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 4,706
    I got my mods now, I don’t care.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • MarkStu67MarkStu67 Registered Users Posts: 58
    You need to add more options in this poll. Don't care either way - that's the one I would vote for.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,981
    The red UI is fine in places, and overdone in others.

It neither needs to be scrapped entirely nor just 'left alone as is'.

The UI is actually MOSTLY an upgrade over WH2, but just with some strange and baffling decisions made here and there. Like the decision to remove the 'Settlement Interaction Art' or the decision to remove the colors from the various skilltree lines.

But it's possible to fix those mistakes without backtracking ALL the way back to just 'throw the whole thing away and bring back the older game's UI'.

Also, for the record, if I had to pick an IDEAL scenario, high key would have preferred unique UI for every individual Race. But since that's never really been an option for the series, I didn't expect it or demand it. But in an ideal utopia, I'd prefer that over the Red UI or simply just 'backtracking'.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,461
    I am indifferent. It's never the UI that affects my experience of the game. Even if it does, its very miniscule. There are so many other factors that CA should prioritize instead
    talonn said:

I am indifferent. It's never the UI that affects my experience of the game. Even if it does, its very miniscule. There are so many other factors that CA should prioritize instead

How so? You spend much of the game looking at it.
    Valkaar said:

The UI is actually MOSTLY an upgrade over WH2, but just with some strange and baffling decisions made here and there. Like the decision to remove the 'Settlement Interaction Art' or the decision to remove the colors from the various skilltree lines.

But it's possible to fix those mistakes without backtracking ALL the way back to just 'throw the whole thing away and bring back the older game's UI'.

Also, for the record, if I had to pick an IDEAL scenario, high key would have preferred unique UI for every individual Race. But since that's never really been an option for the series, I didn't expect it or demand it. But in an ideal utopia, I'd prefer that over the Red UI or simply just 'backtracking'.

They would only need to backtrack because some suits demanded this change in the first place. Nobody asked for it to be changed, and there was nothing wrong with the older UI. It was likely some suits that came in and demanded it be changed just so the game looks different from TWW2.
    #JusticeForTzeentch

talonn said:

Valkaar said:

They would only need to backtrack because some suits demanded this change in the first place. Nobody asked for it to be changed, and there was nothing wrong with the older UI. It was likely some suits that came in and demanded it be changed just so the game looks different from TWW2.
    it's still playable and not game breaking, unlike other stuffs (eg. bugs, rifts, etc). After a while I barely even noticed the significance of the color choice anymore. Basically you'll get used to it
  • Iron_CrownIron_Crown Registered Users Posts: 1,600
    The UI is the only part of the game that is clearly better than before.

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,981
    edited April 7

talonn said:

Valkaar said:

I don't think it was that arbitrary. There were MANY complaints about Game 2 just being an 'over priced expansion' over Game 1. And with COVID and other delays giving them some extra time, CA clearly decided to upgrade and tinker with as many systems as possible.

Sieges, diplomacy, the tresspass button, the magic system, the healthbars, the fuse/salvage options, blind Race selection in MP, improved Co-Op, etc. etc. etc. etc.

It wasn't a whimsical superficial change to justify a higher price tag. But rather, part of CA's sweeping attempt to upgrade the meat and potatoes of the game so that it didn't feel like an ' overpriced expansion' anymore, but rather, a whole new game.

I say 'attempt' because while many of their changes worked and were dramatic upgrades over Game 2, they definitely 'overtinkered' with other systems and made some aspects specifically worse.

The UI^ is like a microcosm of that whole design approach. Radically different, and sort of a 'two steps forward, one step back' in terms of how much of it was an upgrade vs a downgrade.

Still, while some choices were puzzling, I appreciate the ambition of CA's scope. MANY people (myself included) were skeptical and critical of how much CA would attempt to change. There were many threads effectively saying "lower your expectations for sieges, Co-Op, and diplomacy guys, all you're going to get is Game 2 with new Races on a new map".

^And as cool and edgy as it is to CURRENTLY pretend that's what we all wanted, it's a disingenuous lie of what we asked for. We were afraid it would be 'just Game 2' again and we really were encouraging CA to push the envelope and deliver more meaningful overhauls to tired and shallow systems.

^Which CA, to many people's surprise, actually delivered and did attempt those requested overhauls.

Were the overhauls perfect? No.

Did they go too far in some areas? Yes.

Did it need to be optimized and bug tested more? Yes.

But I'd still prefer CA to attempt to meaningfully improve the game rather than just repackage an old game and resell it for $60.

I'm glad CA had some ambition with this project and was eager ro appeal to widespread community demands.

I just hope they CONTINUE that same trend, and listen to community feedback to dial things back or polish things where needed.
  • Pappa_FraPappa_Fra Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 288
    I don’t
    Valkaar said:

talonn said:

Valkaar said:

I don't think it was that arbitrary. There were MANY complaints about Game 2 just being an 'over priced expansion' over Game 1. And with COVID and other delays giving them some extra time, CA clearly decided to upgrade and tinker with as many systems as possible.

Sieges, diplomacy, the tresspass button, the magic system, the healthbars, the fuse/salvage options, blind Race selection in MP, improved Co-Op, etc. etc. etc. etc.

It wasn't a whimsical superficial change to justify a higher price tag. But rather, part of CA's sweeping attempt to upgrade the meat and potatoes of the game so that it didn't feel like an ' overpriced expansion' anymore, but rather, a whole new game.

I say 'attempt' because while many of their changes worked and were dramatic upgrades over Game 2, they definitely 'overtinkered' with other systems and made some aspects specifically worse.

The UI^ is like a microcosm of that whole design approach. Radically different, and sort of a 'two steps forward, one step back' in terms of how much of it was an upgrade vs a downgrade.

Still, while some choices were puzzling, I appreciate the ambition of CA's scope. MANY people (myself included) were skeptical and critical of how much CA would attempt to change. There were many threads effectively saying "lower your expectations for sieges, Co-Op, and diplomacy guys, all you're going to get is Game 2 with new Races on a new map".

^And as cool and edgy as it is to CURRENTLY pretend that's what we all wanted, it's a disingenuous lie of what we asked for. We were afraid it would be 'just Game 2' again and we really were encouraging CA to push the envelope and deliver more meaningful overhauls to tired and shallow systems.

^Which CA, to many people's surprise, actually delivered and did attempt those requested overhauls.

But I'd still prefer CA to attempt to meaningfully improve the game rather than just repackage an old game and resell it for $60.

I'm glad CA had some ambition with this project and was eager ro appeal to widespread community demands.

I just hope they CONTINUE that same trend, and listen to community feedback to dial things back or polish things where needed.
    Really good post with some great points. I honestly think the makings of a great game are there, it’s just been released too early.

IE, and the variety it brings, really needed to come as soon as possible after the initial release (with date/plan communicated) and I think CA have misjudged how import that was to a lot of people.

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,324
    Ideally, bring race-themed UI.
    edited April 7
    talonn said:

talonn said:

Valkaar said:

it's still playable and not game breaking, unlike other stuffs (eg. bugs, rifts, etc). After a while I barely even noticed the significance of the color choice anymore. Basically you'll get used to it
    I did not get used to it. I don't want to play the game because of it. UI should be readable and convey information. Information is not conveyed to me when upgrading a building and deleting a building is the same red color. Plus, basically nobody uses red interfaces. All interfaces are either white or a dark color. I guarantee the browser you're using is either white or grey, along with basically every other interface.
    Valkaar said:

talonn said:

Valkaar said:

What are you talking about? TWW3 is still basically an expansion pack with QoL improvements. It literally even shares the same bugs, such as the gate bug. There are very few 'significant' changes here. The sieges are a big change but they are not a good one. The rest are just minor QoL things.
    #JusticeForTzeentch

talonn said:

talonn said:

Valkaar said:

I did not get used to it. I don't want to play the game because of it. UI should be readable and convey information. Information is not conveyed to me when upgrading a building and deleting a building is the same red color. Plus, basically nobody uses red interfaces. All interfaces are either white or a dark color. I guarantee the browser you're using is either white or grey, along with basically every other interface.

Oh well, it'd be interesting to see how many people stopped playing simply because of the UI alone XD
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,144
    I preferred Parchment, but this could be done via mod with race specific UI.
    I'd rather see CA focus on other things.

Not because it is not important, but because it's a matter of subjective taste, better handle via mods.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,828

Not because it is not important, but because it's a matter of subjective taste, better handle via mods.

It's not really subjective taste that making a UI that uses weird fonts for all text is a bad idea. Same with crashing contrasts like pure red next to pure green or pure blue. Same with insufficient contrasts between elements that make people strain their eyes trying to tell what's what. Same with color overloads. There are some rather basic design principles about things that you just shouldn't do. And this UI violates them.

• ScionOfTheEmperorScionOfTheEmperor Registered Users Posts: 429
    C: An option to change the UI to fit your preference.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 35,583
    I basically don't care. The UI for building is pretty good.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu usurper, pog wog warrior, poggers patroller

It's not really subjective taste that making a UI that uses weird fonts for all text is a bad idea. Same with crashing contrasts like pure red next to pure green or pure blue. Same with insufficient contrasts between elements that make people strain their eyes trying to tell what's what. Same with color overloads. There are some rather basic design principles about things that you just shouldn't do. And this UI violates them.

Weird fonts? Now this is new. I didn't even notice or find the fonts weird at all. I always thought it's the color that's the problem.

It's a subjective matter indeed
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,782
    It is occasionally annoying not to know if I have am demolishing a building or constructing it- especially as Cathay where to balance Ying/Yang I do that nearly every single turn.

The most annoying part of the UI I've found however is in the tech tree- absolutely no way to tell which technology is currently being researched other than hovering over the research button in the campaign map UI.

Once you open the tree there is just a long list with various research times but not color change for the tech ACTUALLY being researched to tell where on the tree you are so you can plan how many turns to the 3rd or 4th tech up the tree you are actually trying to research.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,498
    I like the red UI but I definitely believe it can and should be improved.

• dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 3,193
    I would vote for "I don't like it but I'm sure there are more important things to focus on for now".
  • nord123456nord123456 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 284
    Ah the old redmania UI. Red on red on red with just a hint of crimson.

Yes, I could really do without it.
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,588
    I would like to see the return of the skills page from WH2. I also really don't like the settlement name banners with the walled icon. The parchment design was better.
  • 00Slyspy00Slyspy Registered Users Posts: 24
    I've recently gone back to W2 and goodness but it really highlights how horrible the GUI looks and, in some cases, works in W3.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    talonn said:

Weird fonts? Now this is new. I didn't even notice or find the fonts weird at all. I always thought it's the color that's the problem.

It's a subjective matter indeed
    I didn't say WH3 UI uses weird fonts. I just listed some basic 101 examples of things you don't do to illustrate that some UI problems can go well beyond "subjective taste" and actually be objectively problematic.
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 1,137
    I like the parchment UI better but I don't necessarily dislike the red being the main color of the UI. It's more so the prevalence of red in the UI elements like the building construction/destruction indicators, the skill tree, the post-battle options, etc that bugs me.
  • Gustaf97Gustaf97 Registered Users Posts: 77
    I like the dark red UI because i usually only got time to play in the evening in the dark... so having a bright UI like TWW2 burns my eyes and makes them dry.

I am super happy about the new UI because my eyes dont hurt
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 8,407
    edited April 7

The game has been out for almost 2 months, what do you think about the UI now?

I personally don't want to play the game because of this red UI and I'm waiting for a mod to get rid of it.

I don't care... and your inability to play a game because of the UI color is peek entitled first world problem BS
  • philosofoolphilosofool Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,142
    The last thing CA should spend time on is the color of the UI. I also hate all things light theme.

Personally, I'd like a charcoal UI.