Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you pick your faction?

HazardsfuryHazardsfury Junior MemberPosts: 2Registered Users
edited May 2012 in Empire: Total War
Hi folks, I'm new here but I've been a lurker for quite a while so thought I'd join :) I was just wondering how do you pick what faction you're going to play in Campaign? I'm a big fan of the Total War Series and especially Empire Total War, but one issue always gets me.... That 20 minutes or so choosing who I'm going to be playing as for the next 20+ hours.

To get around this I devised my own new and interesting way of choosing a faction... It involves a pen, paper and a hat (old skool :cool:) or some other container like object (I use my D&D dice bag) :D The rest, you can probably guess :)

I only have two rules.

1. You have to play as that faction no matter what.
2. The last previously played faction doesn't go into the hat (I wouldn't want to play the same faction straight after the other one ;/)

Today I got Sweden! :)

How do you guys choose your faction?
Post edited by Hazardsfury on

Comments

• srl97srl97 Senior Member Posts: 378Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I always play as Britain, I can't bring myself to play as anyone else. I also like to recreate the largest empire in history, so Britain is the only choice.
  • IquabakanerIquabakaner Senior Member Posts: 149Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Depends on which nation i was reading about recently, and I don't want to play nations I've already played, until I've tried every single one of them. I've played GB, UP, France, Prussia and Russia. The next one is gonna be Sweden. I'll start it after my exams finish on 24th.
  • LSDLSD Senior Member Posts: 861Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    If the other factions were in some way different to one another, i might give them a try. The only factions i've ever played, and ever will play, are Britain and the Ottomans. Why? Because they're the only factions with enough units to be considered "diverse".
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • paulus magintiepaulus magintie Senior Member Posts: 429Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    srl97 wrote: »
    I always play as Britain, I can't bring myself to play as anyone else. I also like to recreate the largest empire in history, so Britain is the only choice.

This is the same for me, I always hate having to attack somebody though but after my 1st attack then im unstoppable.
  • E'dolloE'dollo Senior Member Posts: 128Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Usually Britain, because; With Sweden and France I run into to many revolutions, I don't like how spread out Spain is, Prussia has to deal with Poland, Austria, and Russia right off the bat, and Austria has arguably the worst infantry in the game. I've tried the Dutch and they weren't bad, but again, the starting positions suck.
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 967Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    It depends. I like most of the factions. I dont understand why everyone says Great Britain. I think Britain's starting position is horrible. Spain, France and UPN all have much better starting positions. I like Prussia, Austria, Russia, Great Britain and France.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • HazardsfuryHazardsfury Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Everyone pretty much hates Sweden; from turn 2 Russia, Courland, Denmark.. and Poland declared war on me ;/, Thankfully Poland have Austria and Prussia to deal with, I'd love to conquer Russia but its just too big and units seem to come from every direction ;/
  • IquabakanerIquabakaner Senior Member Posts: 149Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Everyone pretty much hates Sweden; from turn 2 Russia, Courland, Denmark.. and Poland declared war on me ;/, Thankfully Poland have Austria and Prussia to deal with, I'd love to conquer Russia but its just too big and units seem to come from every direction ;/
    Seems to be quite accurate. The Great Northern War did start in 1700.
  • TheImperatorofRomeTheImperatorofRome Senior Member Posts: 556Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    normally i just close my eyes, rush the cursor over the screen and then stop. Whichever faction its over is what i do :)

But its the same with me as it is with Iquabakaner, its whatever im reading or seen on TV.
  • GuardianOfBlindGuardianOfBlind Senior Member Posts: 947Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    For empire I love controling naval trade, fighting for monopoly, defending my routes etc., so I usually pick a nation for which navy is very important. My first few campaigns were with Britain, but was back when the game had loads of bugs and I never finished any of them. Eventually I lost interest and put teh game aside for a long time.

Returning later to patched and well working ETW, I did not want to pick Britain yet again, so went with United Provinces. The first campaign I ever finished, with lots of fun.

After this I wanted to try Warpath campaign, so completed it with Pueblo Nations. Reasons for choice then were their nice looking apachean mounted archers.

After getting Darthmod, which I think brings the game to what I expected it to be from the start, there are many new options to try. The custom campaign unlocks all minor factions. I completed very long campaign (1700-1836) with Courland (such choice because it is nearly the region I live in).
    Also tried some shorter campaign with Knights of St. John of Malta, simply cause love their history.

And then did something very fun. Took campaign with Pirates. It seems quite impossible first cause income is -1000 or so, and ther eis nearly nothing to improve on home islands, but if you loot the traid routes regualry you can bring it to +2000 or more. And an extra bonus is the bounty for any captured ships.
  • alexmantidalexmantid Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I play as britain all the time as well.
  • WiskeyBobWiskeyBob Senior Member Posts: 257Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Simple 3 steps:
    1. Do I want European or other?
    2. Maritime or continental faction?
    3. Who do I want as Allies? They come as a big block in the beginning of the game (like GB, UP and Austria; Spain and France)
    Pick one of the few factions remaining.
  • KarixKarix Senior Member Posts: 231Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I normally just make a circle
    1-Spain,France,UP,GB,prussia ...etc.
    2-Ottoman Empire,maratha,Austria
    3-Russia,Poland-lith,sweden,
    4-US, or native (which i never complete anyway)
  • TherRoyalDutchSoldierTherRoyalDutchSoldier Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I always play as the united provinces, just because I'm Dutch :P
  • Colonel MallardColonel Mallard Senior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Maratha for me; I've been through so many campaigns (in other TWs) set in Europe, I wanted to try starting somewhere else.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

Total War:Barbarian Invasion 2:The Invadening