Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What is Warhammer 3?

Comments

• Bmnoble981Bmnoble981 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,285
    I am confused what exactly did that video tell us that the trailers and other marketing videos didn't.

What people want to hear is a rough estimate, on when the blood pack and Immortal Empires is coming, does not have to be the exact date, doesn't have to be the road map.
  • WalkaboutWalkabout Member Registered Users Posts: 2,826

CA, I didn't think WE needed to explain this to YOU, but at this point I'll just give you the (undeserved) benefit of the doubt and assume stupidity/cluelessness instead of malice, so allow me to lay down the situation for you in as clear terms as possible.

TW: Warhammer 3 released 2 months ago, and sold more than 160K copies on Steam alone. That is possibly more than what Warhammer 2 ever sold in its lifetime, considering its peak of concurrent players ever was barely half that.

You already reached your "wider audience" before release. Your 20-seconds mobile game trailers with flashy colors, smoke effects and zero substance did work. You went beyond your established player base, and captured the attention (and the money) of a lot of new people before launch.

The problem, right now, two months later, is not that your game did not reach a wide enough audience, and thus you need to market it more to random clueless gamers who don't know what Total War is. The problem is that you lost more than two-thirds of all players in the first WEEK (which is INSANE for most game, and DISASTROUS for something that is supposed to be played for hundreds of hours), and one month after launch you were left with barely more people than played WH2 before the release of WH3. The game is currently down more than 90% of its initial players, the user reviews and comments are by and large negative, and the numbers keep going down.

This video you published today - as you published it - will sell exactly zero new copies of TW:WH3. Why? Because a lot of the unaware people who didn't know the series before launch have clearly already been reached, and the rest will open the Steam page of the game and be met with a 46% Positive recent reviews score and an endless wall of comments saying "I played the series for 2,000 hours but even I can't stomach this ****".

Stop trying to sell WH3 to people. You already did, in great abundance. You won't be selling more copies now, this is not the time to call in MORE people. All you achieve every time you post this tone-deaf stuff is **** off and eventually lose the players you already have. Focus 100% of your communication efforts to KEEP the ones that are already in, because if you fail, they won't be buying any of your future DLCs, ever.

Figure out what the heck the development sub-teams in your studio are doing with their time (because it sure as **** didn't take 2 whole months to fix 3 bugs the modders had fixed in two days, add a line of code to a building in the game, make the game not hard-crash when somebody alt-tabs, and in the process break your own goddamn Anti Aliasing), and TALK to people. Here, on Reddit, on Discord. Say "we are working on this, this and this; this will take a bit longer, this will come next patch, that is something we are investigating but are not sure is a priority right now.

There are THREE community managers (allegedly) assigned to this game alone, what are they doing? How is it possible that THREE whole people dedicated EXCLUSIVELY to TALKING TO THE COMMUNITY about THIS ONE GAME post at most two or three lines of text here or there per week, barely saying anything useful for anybody? How does that happen? What do you have these people do all day?

Re: 46% positive reviews. Unfortunately I am one of the people who put a negative review. I have been holding off on reviewing on the hope that things would improve but in the Video yesterday CA basically tried to mislead people about the quality of the game. With the popup towers, lack of IE, bugs and other poor design decisions, I just honestly can't recommend WH3 at this time. Hopefully their will be a change in focus and heart by CA and they will try to fix the game instead of just trying to mislead and sell a mediocre game.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • MastigosMastigos Registered Users Posts: 43
    The way you people act, I'm pretty sure CA needed to blow off some steam by trolling you before they lost it and started banning people for gross misbehavior on their forum.

The entitlement that this community has is insane.
    “In the mountains the shortest way is from peak to peak; but for that one must have long legs. Aphorisms should be peaks – and those who are addressed, big and tall.”
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 2,002

CA, I didn't think WE needed to explain this to YOU, but at this point I'll just give you the (undeserved) benefit of the doubt and assume stupidity/cluelessness instead of malice, so allow me to lay down the situation for you in as clear terms as possible.

There are THREE community managers (allegedly) assigned to this game alone, what are they doing? How is it possible that THREE whole people dedicated EXCLUSIVELY to TALKING TO THE COMMUNITY about THIS ONE GAME post at most two or three lines of text here or there per week, barely saying anything useful for anybody? How does that happen? What do you have these people do all day?

Covid/brexit. Things are tough now.
    I have a shocking revolutionary idea to submit to you. If you are a company, and due to external circumstances you cannot finish a product in time, how about you communicate about it with the customers, and then delay it until it is at least somewhat ready?

I don't know why WH3 is in the state it is as of April 2022, but I sure know neither covid nor Brexit made CA pretend everything was smooth sailing and the game was a-o-ready, boast that they had everything neatly planned out already for the future and they would divulge their plans immediately after release, and then when people saw the real state of things go "Whoopsie daisy, looks like most people are just not fine with an unoptimized game that crashes constantly and has a third of its core mechanics broken and another third completely unbalanced, who would have guessed? It's too bad completely unexpected player feedback is forcing us to re-arrange our neat plans, but eh, it just the way things are, right? Who even knows what will happen now, or when, sowwy UwU" before going into almost complete radio silence for two months.

I have a shocking revolutionary idea to submit to you. If you are a company, and due to external circumstances you cannot finish a product in time, how about you communicate about it with the customers, and then delay it until it is at least somewhat ready?

I don't know why WH3 is in the state it is as of April 2022, but I sure know neither covid nor Brexit made CA pretend everything was smooth sailing and the game was a-o-ready, boast that they had everything neatly planned out already for the future and they would divulge their plans immediately after release, and then when people saw the real state of things go "Whoopsie daisy, looks like most people are just not fine with an unoptimized game that crashes constantly and has a third of its core mechanics broken and another third completely unbalanced, who would have guessed? It's too bad completely unexpected player feedback is forcing us to re-arrange our neat plans, but eh, it just the way things are, right? Who even knows what will happen now, or when, sowwy UwU" before going into almost complete radio silence for two months.
    Waiting two months is nothing to complain about.

You'll live.
    “In the mountains the shortest way is from peak to peak; but for that one must have long legs. Aphorisms should be peaks – and those who are addressed, big and tall.”
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,204
    edited April 15

But it's just a funny short video... what is the dislikes for?

In case you never heard of it: Right before game#3 release, now two months ago:

We heard nothing really. Blood DLC should have come a month after release, nothing yet. And that is the most easy "click to activate" situation you could think off.

That they delay rolling out DLC besides blood, is fair if they apparently have a game in such a bad state that even the patch 1.1 campaign fixes barely make it playable for some people and still no joyride. But for crying out loud, (I)ME is the golden goose that lifted TWW2 out of the crappy Vortex state also nobody liked very much. (I)ME is what people are waiting for. Nobody said (IME) should show up 1 month after launch. That was a fair estimate, since that was how things went with game#2. But its now two months in with nothing besides "yes we talk about (I)ME at some later point". The roadmap should have given a glimpse on how close or far it is away. We did not even get the friggin roadmap so far.

Hey, here is an example from a small indi dev who handed me a roadmap this week nobody asked for:
    https://gemsofwar.com/gems-of-war-2022-roadmap/
    How hard must it be for CA to do a roadmap currently when after two months they still don't want to talk about dates? I know that actually putting out rough dates kinda nails it down for people, but it would hardly be the first time they delayed something becaause apparently they can't get it done in time. For example rememeber how they delayed game#3 to 2022 and people told me that is the best of sign when I warned it is rather a bad omen when they deliberatly skip the Q4 sales with releasing a rushed/buggy product as they had done in the past [game#2; Shadow& Blade]. But nooo, its fine. Thedelay will certainly make game#3 better at launch.
    Or hey, remember when I went on the barricades because the "preorder info soon" and "preorder info very soon" situation which was going on for for nine (9!) months was not how anybody should handle that crap? Yeah, people told me it was all fine. Of course first brexit (not that relevant in that year) then covid (also already going on for over a year) and then the game#3 delay (can you imagine the state of the game summer 2021 if you are this year unhappy with it?) were valid excuses for some people to paint me just as a hater.
    But here we are. The gamelaunch sold apparently fantastically, but people are really disapointed with the product and cling to the (I)ME hope. The terrible marketing campaign we had last year, just seems to continue with drippy newsflow and empty promises. Like this towards the video reaction?

I am pretty certain I heard the transparency line from community manager Grace over the last 6 years at least two times, after Grace Cimone alspo preached it and now after Simone the new community manager is reading the same corporate script. Of course it will not get better, so yeah, people are not happy with the current news-blackout.

And here is the real kicker: Most of us at least know that the annual Warhammer Fest/Skulltthrone is approaching. End of May/early June even if in the past it was also held once in July. That will boil down to two outcomes
    1. They currently don't talk because someone had the bright idea to make "surprise reveals/announcements" THEN. Maybe again with a blablabla livestream for over an hour like last year. While this will of course generate some buzz, it still poisons the current situation with the radio silence further. Will it be worth it after a terrible 2021 regarding news management? Doubtful. It will just continue the cycle so the outlook for newsfeed afterwards will be the same crap we deal with right now.
    2. They have nothing to present since they currently can't get their **** together. The rough roadmap should have been Release February, Blood DLC March. (I)ME hopefully March to May. Because quite frankly you want the (I)ME out of the way and live, before you dish out the first real DLC. And if that roadmap would have worked, first Rival DLC or even Chaos Dwarf race would have been possible for the Skullthrone summer sale. Were also a lot of game#3 only customers would have gotten the chance to pick up game#1+2 for the released" (I)ME. But right now, CA does neither produce one patch a week to get their act together, nor do they show the "promised" roadmap and they can't even unlock the Blood DLC which for a KHORNE race in the core game seems like a "must have".
    I am eager to see what will happen at Skullthrone, but my expectations are either way pretty low. especially considering how things have progressed now that we reached two months after TWW3 launch. And after this radio silence, we get this video which certainly is not aimed towards the people who own the game already and feels like at least a month late to the party. So yeah, this is how you end up with over 100 dislikes in CAs forum and also a lot of grumbling on reddit for the same reasons.

-----Red Dox
    Post edited by Red_Dox on
  • lcmiraclelcmiracle Registered Users Posts: 818

btw. just in case anyone is curious:

Funny, always thought CA has more than 1351 bots...
    edited April 15
    Mastigos said:

You'll live.
    Reading comprehension 0/10. The issue is not the "wait" - I said as much in the very comment you replied to, waiting more would in fact have been the only correct response.

The issue is the subtle lying before release, and then the blame-shifting and throwing their hands in the air as if stuff just "happened" after release, combined with the general sticking the head in the sand attitude throughout.

Not once CA even acknowledged they released the game too early, or planned their schedule poorly. All they can muster to say is "some people are not happy with the campaign", "some people are encountering issues" and stuff like that.

The line they picked and are standing by is that before release they honestly thought the game was ready, and the community feedback arrived mostly unexpectedly and therefore threw off their plans. This is absolutely impossible unless they literally all coded blind and never once even run the game to try it out for more than 10 minutes on a single hardware configuration.

What I'm saying is that when CA was promising a roadmap "1-2 weeks after release" and then delaying it because "more work" had suddenly sprung up from the community's feedback, they had to know those issues would be encountered and that feedback would arrive, and hence also already knew there would be no roadmap as they promised. It was effectively a bait-and-switch trick before release to make it look like things were going smoother than they were. Either that, or their various departments have zero communication with one another, and the people who promised the roadmap were as taken aback by the state of the game at launch as we were.

This is also, BTW, the same exact stance they took at the time of the Rome 2 disastrous release. "People are encountering lots of unexpected issues, we swear we didn't know the game is 6-12 months away from being somewhat stable and functioning, it's not like we literally code video games as our job!"
  • alpharender33alpharender33 Registered Users Posts: 365
    Red_Dox said:

For example rememeber how they delayed game#3 to 2022 and people told me that is the best of sign when I warned it is rather a bad omen when they deliberatly skip the Q4 sales with releasing a rushed/buggy product as they had done in the past [game#2; Shadow& Blade]. But nooo, its fine. Thedelay will certainly make game#3 better at launch.

I wish they had the guts to move the game out of the fiscal year to publish it in a better state, but they didn't even do that. Gaming companies' (including Sega's) fiscal year starts and ends in April. So by moving the game from late 2021 to February 2022, it was moved from Q3 to Q4 of the same FY.

Which is why I was warning people back in summer 2021 (due to the super-slow rollout of info) to expect a delay to early 2022, because it would not change much for the company, but that I was very skeptical they would delay it past March even if it objectively should have been.
    edited April 15
    The issue is not the "wait"

...but you complained about the state of the game in April 2022 instead of waiting for it to be fixed.

....you complained about company communication instead of waiting.

If you want to fall back on semantics and lying by ommision, that's fine. I don't honestly expect more from this forum - or you - at this point. But don't come at me with reading comprehension when your argument is so garbled and confused that you can't even save your own premise without butchering your previous post into out-of-context chunks so you can quote yourself and pretend you stayed consistent.

The only consistent thing you've said is: "Why didn't they delay the release?" Which, if we're being honest (and honesty is in short supply here) would have made this community go rabid. The game was already delayed; you suggesting that they could have casually delayed it again with no backlash is dishonest - part of the lying by omission I'm talking about. Sure, let's just indefinitely delay a game people are panting over and pressuring us to get out.

Nah. You may be able to sell your dishonesty to the echo chamber of this forum, but I'm in this place and not of it. I am better equipped to see through the **** that goes on here, simply by virtue of not being a regular. (Among other things, but we're better off agreeing to disagree on that part.)

"1-2 weeks after release" and then delaying it because "more work" had suddenly sprung up from the community's feedback, they had to know those issues would be encountered and that feedback would arrive, and hence also already knew there would be no roadmap as they promised. It was effectively a bait-and-switch trick before release to make it look like things were going smoother than they were.

The issue is the subtle lying before release, and then the blame-shifting and throwing their hands in the air as if stuff just "happened" after release, combined with the general sticking the head in the sand attitude throughout.

This is also, BTW, the same exact stance they took at the time of the Rome 2 disastrous release. "People are encountering lots of unexpected issues, we swear we didn't know the game is 6-12 months away from being somewhat stable and functioning, it's not like we literally code video games as our job!"

Bait-and-switches, subtle lies, "they must have known," "multiple disasterous releases," broken promises, company trolling, head-in-the-sand attitude....

You are literally the poster boy for everything that is wrong with this forum. You've been wearing a tin foil hat for so long that it has grafted to your skull.
    edited April 15
    Mastigos said:

The issue is not the "wait"

...but you complained about the state of the game in April 2022 instead of waiting for it to be fixed.

....you complained about company communication instead of waiting.

Is this very poor trolling? What does this even mean?

I thought I read the worst and most nonsensical meltdowns this community could produce by now, but this has me genuinely puzzled. I have no clue what you point is even supposed to be.

-Me: "CA should not have released the game if it wasn't ready"

-You: "Stop complaining about having to wait"

-Me: "But I didn't, I said I would rather wait. That's literally the opposite"

-You: "Well, you didn't wait before complaining about waiting [which I didn't], so you're wrong"

Mastigos said:

Bait-and-switches, subtle lies, "they must have known," "multiple disasterous releases," broken promises, company trolling, head-in-the-sand attitude....

You are literally the poster boy for everything that is wrong with this forum. You've been wearing a tin foil hat for so long that it has grafted to your skull.

I love that I didn't even say half the things you are accusing me of being the "poster boy" of. And I think I argumented everything else, so if you disagree with those points you might want to rebuke the arguments, instead of throwing names at me.

But whatever, have fun arguing with the voices in your head making up my comments in my place, because I sure am not wasting any more time arguing with you.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,935
    Surge_2 said:

Wyvax said:

While I am no white knight, I have defended CA more than a lot of people on these forums and elsewhere.

Having said that, I'm wondering if there is something more deeply wrong at CA. And God knows they don't make it easy to maintain optimism. Seriously... what's going on here. You could set their handling of this to the Benny Hill chase and it would fit. This really does feel like an effort at some sort of second launch, but it is so milquetoast that it is more than a little cringey (and yes, tone deaf.)

As far as I am concerned, I am lucky that I still enjoy the game. I'm going to enjoy what I can, additional content will come when it comes, and try my darndest not to engage with their marketing. Because all they seem able to do is induce frustration and annoyance in their community at this point.

There's a subset of TW YouTubers that are "they who shall not be named" both here and on reddit, because of negativity regarding the trajectory of the franchise over the last decade. The thing is despite the vitriol and schadenfreude from some (actually just the biggest single individual on YouTube), their points are logically sound. Probably the nicest and chill amongst CA's critics is Melkor, and though I don't agree with him about everything, he put out a pretty sobering video directed towards the Warhammer fanbase as an olive branch in an effort to help a couple weeks back. It's probably more pertinent now than it was then.
    Do Warhammer fan's even consider Historical fans?

lol

I dont.
    Needless false dichotomy, a red herring implemented to purposely divide Total War players and get them to **** on one another rather than work together to support CA when they do something good or neg them when they do something blindingly stupid, such as radio silence for months, out of touch marketing, hyping up poor game design or cancelling all support for a good game that hasn't even gotten to the time period in it's name.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

• ErgiosErgios Registered Users Posts: 238
    What is Warhammer 3?
    Unfortunately for ANYONE involved, an unfinished game.

Question answered, thread can be closed. d:
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,492

Music and battle effects overpower the second narrator's voice.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,681
    Wow, that is really, really late in posting.
  • IndefatigableIndefatigable Registered Users Posts: 359
    CA-Pingu said:

What is Warhammer 3?

Is it a type of pizza topping? Or a hair cut? Maybe a bowl haircut!

• VeetasVeetas Registered Users Posts: 22
    Mastigos said:

The way you people act, I'm pretty sure CA needed to blow off some steam by trolling you before they lost it and started banning people for gross misbehavior on their forum.

Indeed. This is all the communities fault.

• IndefatigableIndefatigable Registered Users Posts: 359
    CA-Pingu said:

What is Warhammer 3?

It could be a small hamster on a treadmill. Or maybe a panda on a pennyfarthing!

• WalkaboutWalkabout Member Registered Users Posts: 2,826
    jpaw said:

So it’s confirmed, CA marketing is managed by Kiaros Fateweaver: he sees the past (success of TW:W2) and the future (success of TW:W3, Immortal Empires, DLC etc), but is blind to the present!

😂
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • podelapinpodelapin Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited April 15
    cabans33 said:

Oh, I though the game do not have yet a solid foundation... but you are promoting it to new players...

so... The game is not solid to announce roadmap but... It is solid to sell it further to new players...

Ok...

+1000 with this.
    So disappointed by CA. I loved TWW2 so much and now this...
    They already have our money, seems they don't care about us.
  • drogarito92drogarito92 Registered Users Posts: 1,257
    The video has 6.7k dislikes and 3.3k likes. That says it all.
  • 1v01v0 Registered Users Posts: 2,095
    edited April 15
    Mastigos said:

Oh sorry I didn't know CA is a person, i though CA is a company.
    Oh silly me... I didn't know CA is a person and i hurt it's feelings... Bad me Bad !
    (I know i wrote the same thing 2 times- it's intentional)
    It would be pretty low for a company to troll their fans... but oh well CA is not a company they are a person so i get it !

Uuuuuhhhh just lock this topic... Everything here will be lashback or people trying to defend it = more lashback... Thou I admit it's funny to read !

EDIT: Oh lol I got baited - don't feed the troll i suppose.
    Question:Presumably you’ve needed to create a huge number of new Daemon units to properly flesh them out and give them their own armies?
    Answer:IR: What you’ve just said is so true,
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 5,616
    Mastigos said:

You'll live.
    if there is one thing I'm sure of its that CA doesn't want your help alienating their customers. They'd tell you to **** off.
    Request scorched body textures, and fire death effects. At least 30% of all damage in this game comes from fire sources. Request Fire for the Fire God DLC.
  • demonisbestdemonisbest Registered Users Posts: 245

if there is one thing I'm sure of its that CA doesn't want your help alienating their customers. They'd tell you to **** off.

And as we can see, they also don't need it.

• HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,285
    Well they haven’t fallen back on directly blaming fans for their problems yet. I assume that will be next week.
  • drogarito92drogarito92 Registered Users Posts: 1,257

7.1 k dislikes LOL
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 7,442
    Bies said:

:D

Did no-one reply "Yeah, just like the narrative campaign"?

You do disappoint me. Who will carry on my work, when I'm gone?
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • SchubSchub Registered Users Posts: 1,468
    136 disagrees and 9 agrees… I wasn’t even aware that this forum has so many unique members :D
    Sigmar protect us all...

This discussion has been closed.