Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Should the next 3K title - assuming it is still a TW title - have a bigger map

RewanRewan Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 4,810
Title. Bigger in this instance has multiple meanings and I'm actually talking about ... kinda all of them ?

First meaning is a more "detailed" and "zoomed in" map. This would allow for more space between existing settlements and probably more settlements overall (Considering the fact that the Nothern Region was really really populated it would allow CA to add more landmarks I think ?)

Second meaning is a map that is expanded toward other bordering lands to have more cultures available - these lands would be home to other cultures that could bring more challenges and rewards (as being on the border was never an easy job with raids and stuff and WH3 introduced the ability to levy ally units, possibly giving an edge to border factions when it comes to variety of units by making "foreign" factions reluctant to ally factions that are not bordering them).

Should the next 3K title - assuming it is still a TW title - have a bigger map

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !

Comments

• united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    Yes I wish the map would be bigger with more details and expansions
    Bigger - Yes, more settlements esp in the North and central plain.

Detail - Indeed, they need to add reference to provinces in the game. Capital city of province look bigger ? with some icon to indicate importance ?

Near historical accuracy - I read about how it was difficult to transport supplies from Yi Province in Zhuge Liang's northern expedition but the current game doesn't really reflect that. Perhaps Grand Cathay's Caravan can be used as a supply logistic mechanic which is open to attack from enemy ambush forces ? Mountainous terrain takes longer to reach army camp and more random attacks than sending supplies to camp which is in flat territory.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,810
    edited March 28
    Near historical accuracy - I read about how it was difficult to transport supplies from Yi Province in Zhuge Liang's northern expedition but the current game doesn't really reflect that.

This kinda would be done through reworks of the supply mechanics and a more zoomed in map (forcing to spend multiple turns in transit, rather than jumping in 1/2 turns as it's usually the norm now)

It's kinda demonstrated by one of the few corridors that exists on the map (albeit it's kinda done in a weird way because it favors the nothern settlement instead of being a middle ground) - the one that's actually the path of the Nothern Expedition I believe ?

Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,488
    Yes I wish the map would be bigger with more details but not expansions (focus on mainland China)
    I think expanding the map to include a few more commanderies to help not have a repeat of Cao Cao and Liu Chong both having a claim to Chen. Maybe even add a few Shanyue bases in the south because they were a reoccurring issue for the Sun.

I am not totally against expanding the map in the north as long as they remember the focus is on the Three Kingdoms era of China.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,051
    What is the point of playing 3k2 instead of 3K1?
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,488
    Yes I wish the map would be bigger with more details but not expansions (focus on mainland China)
    Willing to wait to see what they do assuming they do not cancel the project.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
    jamreal18 said:

What is the point of playing 3k2 instead of 3K1?

If the game is straight up better why shouldn't you. I'm still very very mad at CA and I still stand by my "I'll get it with a -50% discount"

Nevertheless there are a lot of areas that could be improved for the better. Map, campaign mechanics, battle mechanics (Not talking about DW plans, I'm talking about a better equilibrium between classes)

• Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 1,306
    No I think the map scale was fine as it was
    No I think the map scale is fine as it is. At least, i don't want the existing map to be made bigger.

One thing i think the campaign map did really well was accurately capture the time it took for historical figures to conquer regions on the map. if you play as Cao Cao in 190 AD you can realistically capture a proportionate amount of territory as he did in history. it applies to virtually every leader in the game. Other than the Nanman. invading Nanzhong is a bit ridiculous. But i think its very well balanced on the whole. Allows fans to recreate history, which is important for any Total War game. You could increase the number of turns per year but it's already 5 turns per year. Any more and it could slow down the game's pace a lot.

i also don't think that the campaign map needs to be any bigger to be honest. They already fleshed out the campaign map really well and accurately conveyed China of the time. i feel like making it bigger for the sake of it is pointless. Bigger maps don't necessarily mean they'll be better. if anything i hope they keep the existing map largely as is and just make it better. Make river passes better. Make bridges. Make gates functional. Make different kinds of commandaries to help flesh out the existing regions of the map.

in terms of expanding the map to include other tribes such as the Xiongnu or Koreans, then yeah, that would be okay. i'm not big on adding the Koreans personally but that actually makes sense because it could be a side objective for the player which would require a lot of tim.
  • shattishatti Registered Users Posts: 753
    i never conquered more than 75% of the map
    it's really very big,
    more details to the terrain for the northern land would've been what i wanted
    ____________________________Total War: Three Kingdoms mods______________________________
    -Records Mod: Classic Total War https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2229620309
    -Court Actions & Politics https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2525984504
    -Big Dong https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2585802057&searchtext=

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    With the focus on characters and the Romance I'm thinking it will be smaller map overall with the choices being on the actions of key characters in the "flash points" of it. So thinking they will do smaller areas but with a lot more depth in it and choice for the characters.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 2,175
    Would love it but is not going to happen. The team that is developing the next 3k title is very small which indicates limited resources. I wouldn’t get my hopes to high and aim for medieval 3 instead with regard to content and expansions.
    The team that is developing the next 3k title is very small

Tbh we don't really have concrete info on the team size. We can assume the post DLC content team was fairly small but if they are moved to "full game", then they should naturally recruit.

Also TROY just finished its cycle of life, CA Sofia could be moved as helpers.

• aiyouaiyou Registered Users Posts: 169
    CA cut the northern nomads and korean peninsula. With all these assets and research done for the 3K, 3K2 better have those elements ready from the get go.
  • sokarassokaras Registered Users Posts: 80
    edited April 19
    Rewan said:

Also TROY just finished its cycle of life, CA Sofia could be moved as helpers.

CA Sofia is currently working on WH3 and an unannounced TW title.

The next 3K game is confirmed to be a TW title, but those that wish for more historical accuracy will likely be disappointed since they also announced that it will lean even more into Romance of the Three Kingdoms with a heavier character and story focus.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,608
    I don’t think the 3K team is any smaller than any other. It depends what stage they are at be it pre or post development. Considering the success and market for the game, I think they will put a lot of resources into it.

3K could’ve done well longer term if the DLCs had been planned better. Personally I imagine CA are doing a lot more research within the Chinese market to try and work out what could’ve been done better.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 1,097

I don’t think the 3K team is any smaller than any other. It depends what stage they are at be it pre or post development. Considering the success and market for the game, I think they will put a lot of resources into it.

3K could’ve done well longer term if the DLCs had been planned better. Personally I imagine CA are doing a lot more research within the Chinese market to try and work out what could’ve been done better.

I hope but i also hope they retain the outstanding aspects of the original game.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,608
    kaihoo said:

I hope but i also hope they retain the outstanding aspects of the original game.
    To me, the best aspects of the original game was some of the best game balancing we've seen in a TW game. I loved the way the AI balanced diplomatic relations so there was always 1 or 2 considerably tough enemies to deal with.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,654
    To be honest the size of the map was never an issue for me.

Completed EMPIRE, ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    EMPIRE
    France, Poland-Lithuania, Spain.
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2 & 3
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, Morghur the Shadowgave, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    W3 - RoC: Kairos Fateweaver, Tzarina Katarin, Zhao Ming.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    FD: Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Memnon, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Rhesus, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
    RTW: Carthage, Egypt, Greek Cities, Macedon, Scipii, Scythia.
    BI: Eastern Roman Empire, Romano-British, Sarmatians, Slavs.