Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why is Sayl so important?

Comments

• DTAPPSNZDTAPPSNZ Registered Users Posts: 1,495
    crom crom crom crom crom Crom Crom Crom Crom Crom CROM CROM CROM CROM CROM!

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

I personally feel Crom or Mortkin are way more iconic in lore and look much cooler, Archaon is already a spellcaster.

Crom is probably the least intresting character GW ever came up with.

Sayl is a caster that rules over a tribe of mammoth-riders, known for making pacts with the gods(and eventually betraying them) and has a pet Chaos Spawn. What's not to like about the guy?
    Crom values strength over all, he isn't a coward like Sayl.

Not to mention he is one of the most powerful duelists in the Warhammer World. Pretty much Darth Maul. Hefought Grimgor to a stand still. The same Grimgor who kicked Archaon in the nuts and headbutted him to Oblivion.

He also has a little man carry around his helmet everywhere, how cool is that.
    The nut kick was never canon. He nutted him, which is slang for headbutt.

And storm of chaos hasn't been canon since 7th edition. Grimgor who was buffed by becoming an incarnate, and buffed directly by gork and mork was killed by Archaon.
    I know, It’s been a meme for ages it’s basically canon. The Headbutt should have killed Archy, it would have been hilarious.
    Something being a meme doesn't mean it's basically canon. Especially when the entire storm of chaos is non canon.
    End Times is non canon
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 8,385
    He is great character with amazing lore.
    DTAPPSNZ said:

But my point still stands Crom should be a LL.

Being unique unlockable lord for Archaon would be enough to represent him.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 8,408
    He's a spellcaster LL for the WoC, that's it.

He isn't.

Yeah... I totally agree. He really isn't. He'd make a good Undivided Chaos Sorcerer Lord and that's about it.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 5,216
    He's a decently cool character but doesn't stand out in any particular way. I wouldn't call him "important" per say. More like something cool to have but not a necessity.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 1,490
    DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

You know, people you would not expect to be leading armies like Ghoritch.

Yeah, why would anyone expect the commander of Hellpit army to be leading armies.
    Legit didn’t know Ghoritch was considered that highly in Hellpit. But my point still stands Crom should be a LL.
    The only official place he appeared before T&T was as one of the two options for the General in an army using the Clan Moulder list that was in WD back in 6th Ed (the other being Throt). He literally could only be taken leading an army (and you couldn’t have both him and Throt in the same army).

He’s the Castellan of Hell Pit.
    DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

I personally feel Crom or Mortkin are way more iconic in lore and look much cooler, Archaon is already a spellcaster.

Sayl is a caster that rules over a tribe of mammoth-riders, known for making pacts with the gods(and eventually betraying them) and has a pet Chaos Spawn. What's not to like about the guy?

Not to mention he is one of the most powerful duelists in the Warhammer World. Pretty much Darth Maul. Hefought Grimgor to a stand still. The same Grimgor who kicked Archaon in the nuts and headbutted him to Oblivion.

And storm of chaos hasn't been canon since 7th edition. Grimgor who was buffed by becoming an incarnate, and buffed directly by gork and mork was killed by Archaon.
    I know, It’s been a meme for ages it’s basically canon. The Headbutt should have killed Archy, it would have been hilarious.
    Something being a meme doesn't mean it's basically canon. Especially when the entire storm of chaos is non canon.
    End Times is non canon
    End Times is sadly canon.

Very poor canon that contradicts a bunch of other stuff, but unfortunately canon nonetheless.

SoC is equally sadly no longer canon since mid 7th Ed.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 548
    Egrimm van Horstmann is already in the game ? theres also Haelkod helbrass but prob not a caster.

Egrimm van Horstmann is already in the game ? theres also Haelkod helbrass but prob not a caster.

They’re both Tzeentch characters so will probably be in that race instead of WoC.

NB Aekold Hellbrass was originally not a caster in 4th & 5th but became one in 6th when the Mark of Tzeentch made all characters wizards.

Who knows which way GW would have gone had he got rules in 7th or 8th.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 5,601
    Most of us that want Sayl do not ask for him for WoC, but for Norsca, ebcause he works perfectly with the whole "choose the god you are dedicated too".

on topp of that, he is well written and is not exactly only a chaos sorcerer, as he also had a unique familiar.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 2,176

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

You know, people you would not expect to be leading armies like Ghoritch.

Yeah, why would anyone expect the commander of Hellpit army to be leading armies.
    Legit didn’t know Ghoritch was considered that highly in Hellpit. But my point still stands Crom should be a LL.
    The only official place he appeared before T&T was as one of the two options for the General in an army using the Clan Moulder list that was in WD back in 6th Ed (the other being Throt). He literally could only be taken leading an army (and you couldn’t have both him and Throt in the same army).

He’s the Castellan of Hell Pit.
    Honestly I always found weird that he is the general of the moulder army, due to his nature I think it would make most sense for skavens to use it as a battle beast and sell him for vast amounts of warpstone rather than leting him climb ranks up in the clan hierarchy. I think making him a LH was the good call.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • MODIDDLY1MODIDDLY1 Registered Users Posts: 799
    Pocman said:

Most of us that want Sayl do not ask for him for WoC, but for Norsca, ebcause he works perfectly with the whole "choose the god you are dedicated too".

on topp of that, he is well written and is not exactly only a chaos sorcerer, as he also had a unique familiar.

Actually most of the people who are big Norsca fans don't want Sayl because he isn't a Norscan, but a Kurgan and will dilute the faction more than it already is as nothing but diet chaos.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 2,699
    I don't really care about him
    I read some of this thread listening to Awolnation's "Sail". It worked for me. Sometimes these forums are what we make of them. Carry on.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,966

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

End Times is non canon

Very poor canon that contradicts a bunch of other stuff, but unfortunately canon nonetheless.

Not like SoC was any better written

No he's not

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

End Times is non canon

The end wasn’t great, though I’d still argue it’s better written than ET. The characterisation was generally more consistent as well.

But the build up and start of it was great, and there were some decent things throughout.

It also didn’t end the setting, which is a definite plus.

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

End Times is non canon

The end wasn’t great, though I’d still argue it’s better written than ET. The characterisation was generally more consistent as well.

But the build up and start of it was great, and there were some decent things throughout.

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

End Times is non canon

True I suppose
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 5,996

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

SerPus said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

End Times is non canon

If memory serves, it was supposed to. Or maybe I mistook it for another event.

Either way, while End Times had a lot of narrative problems on the micro level such as forgetting Skarsnik exists, Khalifa setting her grudge aside, and some important characters being a footnote, on the macro level it was sound. I was fine with Queek killing Belegar for instance.

I'd say it's biggest problem was GW tried to squish way too much into way too little books. For example, Karak-8-Peaks should have long concluded in its own set of books. And in the ET books, THEN they could have Thorgrim kill Queek off if they wanted to.
  • DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 2,972
    edited April 24
    DTAPPSNZ said:

That already makes Sayl more interesting.

"values strength" describes, like, half the characters in Warhammer.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
    MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

Actually most of the people who are big Norsca fans don't want Sayl because he isn't a Norscan, but a Kurgan and will dilute the faction more than it already is as nothing but diet chaos.
    Throgg isn't norscan, horsemen aren't norscan, marauder chariots aren't norscan, mammoths aren't norscan, trolls and ice trolls aren't norscan, fimirs arent norscan... more than half of Norsca's roster isn't norscan. Let's change its name to tribes of chaos and be done with it.
  • MODIDDLY1MODIDDLY1 Registered Users Posts: 799
    edited April 25
    Pocman said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

Throgg isn't norscan, horsemen aren't norscan, marauder chariots aren't norscan, mammoths aren't norscan, trolls and ice trolls aren't norscan, fimirs arent norscan... more than half of Norsca's roster isn't norscan. Let's change its name to tribes of chaos and be done with it.
    Norscans definitely use horseman, chariots, and mammoths as Egil had all of those when he took his tribe to raid Brettonia. So if anything they should be the viking and chaos monster race over the generic WoC
    Post edited by MODIDDLY1 on
    Pocman said:

Or...put them back in the WoC. Who should have all those things.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    edited April 25

Pocman said:

Or...put them back in the WoC. Who should have all those things.
    Or just rename Norsca as "Chaos Savages" to encompass Hungs and Kurgans as well
  • BelisaurioBelisaurio Registered Users Posts: 146

I'd say it's biggest problem was GW tried to squish way too much into way too little books. For example, Karak-8-Peaks should have long concluded in its own set of books. And in the ET books, THEN they could have Thorgrim kill Queek off if they wanted to.

That's exactly my main issue about End Times.
    There are a bunch of interviews about End Times (James M. Hewitt, Josh Reynolds, etc...) and all of them have one thing in common: the timeline of delivery.

End Times feels rushed.
    MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

Norscans definitely use horseman, chariots, and mammoths as Egil had all of those when he took his tribe to raid Brettonia. So if anything they should be the viking and chaos monster race over the generic WoC
    Marauder horsemen are Kurgan

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

They’re both. Kurgan are more known for their cavalry and there’s an argument to be made that Horsemasters better represent Kurgan elite light cavalry, but Norscan tribes do have marauder horsemen as well.

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

They’re both. Kurgan are more known for their cavalry and there’s an argument to be made that Horsemasters better represent Kurgan elite light cavalry, but Norscan tribes do have marauder horsemen as well.

They are not. Good luck putting a horse into a longship. Plus vikings never fought on horseback.

I mean, i am not saying that there was never a norscan that used a horse. But if the race was exclusively norsca, it would have been designed without horsemen.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Edinburgh, ScotlandRegistered Users Posts: 5,382
    Polls were a mistake on this forum
    #JusticeForTzeentch #JusticeForMonogods

7bmg1fojzz69.jpg
  • DTAPPSNZDTAPPSNZ Registered Users Posts: 1,495
    crom crom crom crom crom Crom Crom Crom Crom Crom CROM CROM CROM CROM CROM!

Polls were a mistake on this forum

Polls are love, polls are life
    Pocman said:

They are not. Good luck putting a horse into a longship. Plus vikings never fought on horseback.

I agree. But just because Vikings were a certain way, doesn't mean Norscans are the same.

They are based on them, but are not identical to them.
    Pocman said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

Pocman said:

I mean, i am not saying that there was never a norscan that used a horse. But if the race was exclusively norsca, it would have been designed without horsemen.
    They’re not vikings, they’re Norscan Marauders.

The canonically have marauder horsemen iaw the army books.

Plus they raid overland through Troll Country as well as by sea.