Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I miss the old Land Battles

2»

Comments

• tranquilo666tranquilo666 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Agreed
    BelOkAN said:

Domination is currently the only game mode available in ranked matchmaking.

it's fun and all, But i already start to get bored by this mode (which never happened with warhammer 2 battles) and nothing beats the raw feeling of an epic classic land battle.

Land battles must return to ranked multiplayer !

I would love to be able to switch matchmaking from land battles to domination mode in the future.

I am not ready to abandon the classics TotalWar Land Battles for this new game mode, and I don't think I'm the only one.

multiplayer lobbies and custom games are not an option, the land battles need matchmaking!

Amen Brother. Stopped playing MP since Domination became the only game Mode.
  • friedchikinfriedchikin Registered Users Posts: 164

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

it's fun and all, But i already start to get bored by this mode (which never happened with warhammer 2 battles) and nothing beats the raw feeling of an epic classic land battle.

I would love to be able to switch matchmaking from land battles to domination mode in the future.

I am not ready to abandon the classics TotalWar Land Battles for this new game mode, and I don't think I'm the only one.

multiplayer lobbies and custom games are not an option, the land battles need matchmaking!

you stopped playing cuz you cant corner camp anymore?
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 18,474

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

lol have you ever played QB? like ever?

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• White-PaladinWhite-Paladin Registered Users Posts: 86

this new game mode, domination, is starting to get really boring and redundant. I hate watching it and playing it is getting much less enjoyable the more you play and ive only played max 10 battles.

This mode just makes every faction play the same. WH2 was fun cuz of its unique rosters and how they played on the battlefield. Domination is just bad, boring and the usual same. Just spam inf to the checkpoints and click buttons. It needs a complete revamp badly

I can literally take these words verbatim, replace "domination" with "land battles," and replace "inf" with "skirmishers/SEM's"

But I'm sure those of us that found every faction spamming skirmishers/SEM's in the majority of games are totally off base.
    im talking tourny land battles. SEM were no longer an issue and skirmish was a legit strategy to win games. If you raged cuz u were losing, then its on you. They can be beaten .
    So when I complain that skirmish cav and SEM's are a big problem in the design of LB's, I am just a noob that can't learn how to counter them.

Will you grant the same for yourself? If I say you don't know how to counter "inf spam"? I doubt it. Then it's a problem with the game design isn't it. Funny how that works.

This video is just a quick grab of the most recent tournament I could find. Every faction that could take loads of skirmish cav did, even the "melee factions" like WoC and beasmen. This tournament isn't unique. Builds have centered around skirmishers for all of Warhammer 2. Why? Because the "design" (saying design isn't even the right work cause CA literally just tacked on a 20year old sandbox mode to MP) determines that fast, high damage units are the best kind of unit.

If they are so easily countered, why do players choose fight them with other skirmishers?

yeah pretty much since they ain't an issue neither is infantry spam, something one considers not fun to play against does not make it a game issue just rather personal performance, no unit category could abuse the game in land battles, the closest we had was hawk riders/flyign skirmishes vs VC and those could be easy fixes. There was a time where chariots and SEM were very abusive as a whole though but that got fixed.

Also with you VOD:

1 - missile cav is really the only ranged chaos can get
    2 - almost no game the missiel cav slots were maxed out
    3 - some factions that could have taken them did not, and some just took 1 or 2 units
    4 - a lot of the time armies with more missile cav lost the game

Though i do think missile cav dont need skirmish mode and some are too fast, but that is about all, nothing else seems too dramatic and as shown by VC vs DE game, if you know how to play its not that massive an issue, just like any other unit.
    +1000
    saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

Apparently he has never played.
    He just says the same thing on all topics, trolling.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 12,243

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

imagine....just imagine A capture point in land battle in middle after 10 min....wow mind blown ey
  • friedchikinfriedchikin Registered Users Posts: 164
    saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

yeah plenty and it was always awful even if you won

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

you clearly have not if you did you would know neither of these things are common its very rare

hell i have over 1000 matches and got draw kited 5 times or less and coner camps are just the same never really happens to when it does depending on my build just pretty easy to deal with.

they are and will be milles above dom at the moment

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

For majority it was a different expeirance than yours, lucky you got domination
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 5,616
    Guys I think he's just trying to get a rise out of you. I don't think he's being serious.
    Request scorched body textures, and fire death effects. At least 30% of all damage in this game comes from fire sources. Request Fire for the Fire God DLC.
  • AntiCamper502AntiCamper502 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    Domination mode sucks.
  • drogarito92drogarito92 Registered Users Posts: 1,257
    Of course it sucks.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2
    saweendra said:

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

you clearly have not if you did you would know neither of these things are common its very rare

hell i have over 1000 matches and got draw kited 5 times or less and coner camps are just the same never really happens to when it does depending on my build just pretty easy to deal with.

Maybe that was your experience? But I'm skeptical.

People are heavily romanticizing the quality of the ladder experience. It was literally 10% of your games or more that you encountered a forest/corner camper, intentional forced disconnects, or a draw kiter of some kind.

Arguably 50% or more of the time you encountered a 'gimmick' that wasn't really fun to play against, win or lose, like 5 flying eagle archers and a goon squad, somebody constantly race-switching on the selection screen, mass stalk builds,....you get the idea.

It was NOT some awesome experience. It was a coinflip whether you'd eyeroll and just grit through it.

If it was an awesome experience, it would have had more than 2,000 of the players engaging with it every 6 months. And no, that is not a hyperbole. Steam Achievements showed that while 5%-10% of the playerbase would at least TRY the mode on a singular occasion....and get themselves logged into a singular ladder match....but literally less than 2,000 players over a 6 month period between ladder resets would stick around to play more than 10-20 matches on ladder. As opposed to literally tens of thousands playing Singleplayer DAILY. Not 2 playing SP a few dozen times over 6 months. Daily.

And yes, there were more than that playing MP with clans and tournaments and custom battles that took place off ladder. But even those folks were avoiding ladder for a reason.

I'm NOT saying that Domination Mode is perfect.

But can we dispense with this illusion that Land Battle Ladder was some sort of utopia of quality builds, good balance, polite manners, and high strategy?

^Because it absolutely was not, and it showed in the lack of player interest and retention in playing the mode.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,275
    Yes it wasn't that great; but it was also incredibly easy to fix.
    edited May 4
    Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

People are heavily romanticizing the quality of the ladder experience. It was literally 10% of your games or more that you encountered a forest/corner camper, intentional forced disconnects, or a draw kiter of some kind.

Arguably 50% or more of the time you encountered a 'gimmick' that wasn't really fun to play against, win or lose, like 5 flying eagle archers and a goon squad, somebody constantly race-switching on the selection screen, mass stalk builds,....you get the idea.

It was NOT some awesome experience. It was a coinflip whether you'd eyeroll and just grit through it.

If it was an awesome experience, it would have had more than 2,000 of the players engaging with it every 6 months. And no, that is not a hyperbole. Steam Achievements showed that while 5%-10% of the playerbase would at least TRY the mode on a singular occasion....and get themselves logged into a singular ladder match....but literally less than 2,000 players over a 6 month period between ladder resets would stick around to play more than 10-20 matches on ladder. As opposed to literally tens of thousands playing Singleplayer DAILY. Not 2 playing SP a few dozen times over 6 months. Daily.

And yes, there were more than that playing MP with clans and tournaments and custom battles that took place off ladder. But even those folks were avoiding ladder for a reason.

But can we dispense with this illusion that Land Battle Ladder was some sort of utopia of quality builds, good balance, polite manners, and high strategy?

^Because it absolutely was not, and it showed in the lack of player interest and retention in playing the mode.
    It was literally less than 10%

I can even name the person who managed to successfully draw kite me.

Comment removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,420
    edited May 4
    saweendra said:

Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

Comment removed. r
    Well then you were lucky lol.

For me, 10% was about the accurate number. Especially towards the end of patch cycles. In the beginning of a DLC launch it wasn't as bad.

Also, while I can't name all, I wasn't really separating 'successful' vs 'unsuccessful'....as even facing an 'unsuccessful' draw kite is still a negative experience within the game that is encouraged by the nature of how CA handles their ladder and the mode in general.
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,473
    Name and Shame is against the Forum T&C folks. Regardless of the circumstances.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

Comment removed. r

For me, 10% was about the accurate number. Especially towards the end of patch cycles. In the beginning of a DLC launch it wasn't as bad.

Also, while I can't name all, I wasn't really separating 'successful' vs 'unsuccessful'....as even facing an 'unsuccessful' draw kite is still a negative experience within the game that is encouraged by the nature of how CA handles their ladder and the mode in general.
    honestly i liked those unsucessful draw kite attemts the thril of hunting them down either loose or winning had its own little charm

• XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 5,616
    saweendra said:

Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

Comment removed. r

honestly i liked those unsucessful draw kite attemts the thril of hunting them down either loose or winning had its own little charm
    Hard pass, but I'd rather play a draw kitting player every other match than play Dom
    Request scorched body textures, and fire death effects. At least 30% of all damage in this game comes from fire sources. Request Fire for the Fire God DLC.

saweendra said:

Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

Agreed

BelOkAN said:

Comment removed. r

Hard pass, but I'd rather play a draw kitting player every other match than play Dom
    Agree most of them were bad also, and gives a good thrill when you win

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file