Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why is Daniel?

petherpether Registered Users Posts: 176
edited May 14 in General Discussion
I feel like naming demon prince "Daniel" is some kind of meme that I don't understand... Why is this name choosen? How did it happen?
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• LoreguyLoreguy Registered Users Posts: 1,468
    He was named Daniel (by Daniel from CA) in first playthrough.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,737
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,211
    why is anyone really
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,487
    Why..

Just

Why
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,873
    edited May 13
    Because he's meant to be a horrendous self-insert Mary Sue for the players, so some egotist from CA demonstrated it by naming him after himself.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,035
    Crossil said:

Because he's meant to be a horrendous self-insert Mary Sue for the players, so some egotist from CA demonstrated it by naming him after himself.

You mean the character that's horrendously underpowered and is attacked by all factions on all fronts and has the hardest cammpaign in the game is a Mary Sue?
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 2,712

Crossil said:

You mean the character that's horrendously underpowered and is attacked by all factions on all fronts and has the hardest cammpaign in the game is a Mary Sue?
    A true CA experience!
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,212
    Crossil said:

I love that build your own daemon prince is being equated to a Mary Sue. Who hurt you in life ?
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 4,971
    How is Daniel?
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    But more importantly, when is Daniel?

(but yeah TC your questions been answered, from that vid)
  • PassthechipsPassthechips Registered Users Posts: 575
    Crossil said:

It doesn’t appear you know what a Mary Sue even is, but I doubt your post was intended to have anything resembling meaningful criticism (not that your criticism was asked for).
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,487

How is Daniel?

Where is Daniel?
  • YurisusukiYurisusuki Somewhere in LustriaRegistered Users Posts: 1,112
    Crossil said:

You know what Mary Sue means? Because seens like you don't know
    We Live in a Society.

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,737
    Crossil said:

So you don't know what Mary Sue means, but do you know what obsession means?
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,496

Crossil said:

I don't think he's underpowered no more.

• RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,682
    edited May 13

Crossil said:

Sense the latest patch he does a lot better. Sure packs a punch in my experience, one of the legendary lord that gets the most kills for me in a double mortis engine build.

His campaign though... Oof do I hate that start position. Also they still need to put some extra choices or add to the post battle choices, glory is meaningless 1/3rd through a campaign.
  • kevManiackevManiac Registered Users Posts: 984
    Everyone's asking stuff like "why is Daniel?" "Where is Daniel?" or "Who is Daniel?". But nobody's asking "How is Daniel?"
    Races I'd like to see, in order of preference: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realm/ DoW, Nippon, Hobgoblin Kharnate, Kuresh, Ind.

#JusticeForTzeentch.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,326
    Folks, let's stop trolling and everyone discuss the OP's question. Don't worry about which interrogative or subject pronoun is being used.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 2,374

Crossil said:

I wonder is there an opposite trope of Mary Sue ?
    you know a character that should be far more able but is constantly dumpstered because of plot-shanking?
    (I made that up. Plot-shanking is now officially the antidote to plot-armour)
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,981

Crossil said:

you know a character that should be far more able but is constantly dumpstered because of plot-shanking?
    If you're looking for a term for that concept, I petition that your plot-shanked, opposite of Mary Sue characters should be called Stannis'.

Because yeah, in the show definitely, and in the books sort of, but to a much lesser degree, Stannis Baratheon absolutely gets "plot-shanked" multiple times :D
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,076

Crossil said:

I love plot shanking, brilliant concept, excellent work. Exhibit A: Valten in the Storm of Chaos timeline
  • OklazonieOklazonie AZRegistered Users Posts: 30
    edited May 14
    "Plot-shanking" wins the inaugural Clarity of Concept Award. Congratulations!
    For Heldenhammer!

• ChronoidChronoid Registered Users Posts: 162

Crossil said:

I think the opposite of a Mary Sue would be a Worf
    Just look up "the Worf effect". It's basically when a character is introduced as being strong and skilled only for the story lo have them fail continously (plot-shanking, as you put it) in order to make their opponents and/or teammates look more capable in comparison.
  • SusaVileSusaVile Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,191
    Chronoid said:

Crossil said:

Just look up "the Worf effect". It's basically when a character is introduced as being strong and skilled only for the story lo have them fail continously (plot-shanking, as you put it) in order to make their opponents and/or teammates look more capable in comparison.
    Probably the best opposite indeed. And hey, you a trekkie too?
    Always learning, be polite, unless he's the enemy:P
    Cheers
    SusaVile
    Total war youtuber
  • doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 2,374
    Chronoid said:

Crossil said:

Yeah that makes sense. Good one.
    Although Worf had his moments of awesomeness later in DS9.
  • YurisusukiYurisusuki Somewhere in LustriaRegistered Users Posts: 1,112
    Valkaar said:

Crossil said:

If you're looking for a term for that concept, I petition that your plot-shanked, opposite of Mary Sue characters should be called Stannis'.

Because yeah, in the show definitely, and in the books sort of, but to a much lesser degree, Stannis Baratheon absolutely gets "plot-shanked" multiple times :D
    I hate what they did with the true king Stannis Baratheon, i almost quit the show after that.
    We Live in a Society.

• Ironhawk97Ironhawk97 Registered Users Posts: 326
    I called him Mediocrates. And other pretty tongue in cheek punny names in subsequent playthroughs. I think Yurisux the Subultimate (or something like that) was the last one.

It's actually a fun even if frustrating campaign, definitely the best one from a "role playing" standpoint, and in my opinion one of only a handful that would make sense for the advisor to actually seek out (the others being Katarin and Kairos). It's a fundamentally flawed faction even though there's some pretty good army builds you can make with the mixed roster. It'll probably get totally eclipsed by the Warriors of Chaos depending on what exactly happens with the rework.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,326
    Not one of the posts after my warning were about the OP's question. Thread closed.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

This discussion has been closed.