Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would it be ok to "Monetize"....

EvenLeaseEvenLease Junior MemberPosts: 26Registered Users
edited May 2012 in Total War: Shogun 2
my shogun 2 commentaries on youtube?

I know some companies require you fill out certain forms for that. Anyone?
Post edited by EvenLease on

Comments

• NaishoNaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,375Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    here is the easy question,

Do you create any or all of the material used so that it is uniquely yours?

If not then no.

For example, I make machinima, but I neither own the music nor the game engine thus I cannot monetize it.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,311Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Monetize as in what? Requiring viewers to pay for subscribing?
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
  • EvenLeaseEvenLease Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Yeah Ok I get that.

But like I said, some game companies allow you to do so by emailing them a signed document or something. So I was wondering if there is some sort of approach to doing this with total war videos.

No need to be a ****. It's a simple question.
    edited April 2012
    No, monetizing means I make money from advertisements over my videos. But without permission from creative assembly I wouldn't be able to do that over my shogun 2 videos.

Advertisers pay youtube, Youtube pays the uploader for acquiring advertisement views.
  • NaishoNaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,375Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    daelin4 wrote: »
    Monetize as in what? Requiring viewers to pay for subscribing?

on youtube, you can monetize videos so that ads appear and you receive the ad money.
    EvenLease wrote: »
    Yeah Ok I get that.

But like I said, some game companies allow you to do so by emailing them a signed document or something. So I was wondering if there is some sort of approach to doing this with total war videos.

No need to be a ****. It's a simple question.

not being asinine (or whatever got censored)

I have never heard of CA doing this, and to my knowledge this is the first time someone even came on the forums about it.

That said, you are on the wrong website, SEGA owns the legal copyright to this game.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
    edited April 2012
    Thats all I needed to know, I guess I can take it up with Sega. As I just got done sending my email to BI Studio for ArmA series.

Thought it would be worth a try, would be nice to make a couple extra dollars here and there since I upload daily for the fun of it.
  • SecuterSecuter Senior Member Posts: 1,735Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    If you upload to youtube, then there's no problem in advertising I guess.. Not sure though.
    Make a Medieval 3!
    More units.
    More interested in European history.
    Different cultures.
    More factions.
    Not that many gun powder troops, it's not a new Empire I want.
  • damadman228damadman228 Senior Member Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I think if CA and SEGA had a problem with this they would've done something by now. It should be fine.
    This might be helpful for those still playing S2 MP:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=444087

Also check out this awesome channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW
  • CatmaCatma Member Posts: 54Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    The splash screen forbids "public performance", barring express consent or whatever. Plenty of time to read it while loading. I know of no special process to request consent. Just write 'em, probably.
  • EngiocEngioc Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    EvenLease wrote: »
    Thats all I needed to know, I guess I can take it up with Sega. As I just got done sending my email to BI Studio for ArmA series.

Thought it would be worth a try, would be nice to make a couple extra dollars here and there since I upload daily for the fun of it.

I've done that for BI and ArmA as well, and it's something other companies like Sega should consider allowing. It's not like we're claiming ownership of the content, but we're certainly doing our bit to spread the word on this game by posting videos covering it.