Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

Need Help Please?

-_iCeMaN_--_iCeMaN_- Senior MemberPosts: 109Registered Users
edited May 2012 in Fall of the Samurai
Hi got tons of questions here about the game. But please just a request before you hit me with your answers, no posting of links please. I am only using my phone to browse so it will be hard if you post links. So hit me with a concrete answer thank you! :) Well..

1.) Can someone tells me the difference between S2TW and S2FOTS?
2.) Which do you think is the best? Why?
3.) I've seen this limited edition of S2FOTS. Whats new with this than S2FOTS only?
4.) Where can i buy this S2FOTS anyway?
5.) How much is S2FOTS and S2FOTS Limited Edition? (Hard copy i don't want download only)
6.) Whats the difference if i bought this on steam?
7.) If i bought the hard copy can i still play online?

Sorry guys need to buy and plan where to buy the game. Sorry again guys but really need help. Advanced Thanks for those who will answer. :)
Post edited by -_iCeMaN_- on

Comments

• SecuterSecuter Senior Member Posts: 1,710Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I'll help you :)

1) Yes they are set 200 years apart from eachother. Shogun 2 goes on in a medieval era where you are to claim the Shogunate for your self and thus end the Boshin war (I think it's called that). Fots on the other hand goes on 200 years later and where the Emperor overruled the Shogun. That lead to a civilwar where the Emperor came out victorious. In Fots you are to either support the Shogunate or the Emperor. Finally you can also go independent.

2) Single player wise I like Fots quite much. It's fun because you are to unite the faction you support. In Mp however I like Shogun 2 because I'm not too fond of all those guns and canons.

3) You'll get a bonus clan. Depending on where you buy the game you'll get a certain bonus clan.

4) Most game shops offers the game, you might also be able to get the limited edition if buying in retail. But mind that you NEED to have steam in order to play the game.

5) They are around the same price I think 30-40€. Try Game Stop. (You still need to download the game through steam in order to play)

6) Non, there's no difference, but you'll not get a bonus clan.

7) Ofc you can.
    Make a Medieval 3!
    More units.
    More interested in European history.
    Different cultures.
    More factions.
    Not that many gun powder troops, it's not a new Empire I want.
  • Honor and GloryHonor and Glory Senior Member Posts: 347Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Hello -_iCeMaN_-,

Basically, the difference between "Total War: Shogun 2" and "Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai" is a 200 year difference in the time period. "Total War: Shogun 2" takes place during Sengoku Jidai. This is the era most familiarized with people around the world. It is a truly traditional era with great Samurai heroes like Takeda Shingen, Shimazu Matsudira, Oda Nobunaga and Oda Nobuhide, Uesegi Kenshin, Tokugawa Ieyesu, and so on. It does its best to replicate the campaigns of the time, and to be honest, does quite a good job. "Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai" takes place 200 years after the Sengoku Jidai, 300 years after Tokugawa Ieyesu seizes control of the Shogunate and the Tokugawa clan holds seat for 200 years. This is also the time where heavy western influence changes Japan completely and modernizes the small island nation. Influences of European Nations like the English, the French, the Portuguese, and even the Germans. And, of course, the Americans. If you have ever seen the movie "The Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise, this stand-alone expansion is the exact time period of that movie. To answer your second question, I would definitely say "Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai" is better since both have been "ruined" (I use this term loosely) by patches and what not. It's a lot more fun however to march your men in long firing lines and unleash devastating volleys of Enfield, Springfield, Snider, and Breech rifles of the time. I am not sure what the difference is between Basic and Limited, but i believe in Limited edition you receive 3 different clans to play from for the campaign for "Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai" and 2 different clans for "Total War: Shogun 2." I would suggest you get this game off of Steam. Hard copy games tend to not be as good anymore and become an inconvenience when you can get the game digital, whether Steam or not, and have it on any PC or Laptop computer wherever you go, as long as you have one that can handle it. Yes, this game is MASSIVE and requires so much to play it. It is a very graphically demanding game...Even my computer has had problems with this game. Also, it wouldn't be very wise to buy the game hard copy because there are constant upgrades. If you purchase the game through Steam or some sort of Digital purchase service, the game will auto-updated and it saves you the hassle of having to update it yourself.

I really hope this helps and answers your questions.
  • damadman228damadman228 Senior Member Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I must resist the urge to post song text and answer the questions...

ok here we go:

1) TWS2 is the main game set in the 16th century (melee based combat). FotS is set in the 19th century and introduces guns and thus an emphasis on ranged combat.

2) I personally prefer S2. For one thing I like medieval settings and melee much more than more modern settings. I've also come to the conclusion that I like the pacing of the vanilla campaign much more because the end game is shorter and harder, thus more fun and not so dragged out. The multiplayer mode is also less bugged, better balanced and therefore technically superior. Of course the latter will be sorted out in future patches.

3) It gives you access to the Saga faction.

4) I got it from Amazon.

5) Since you want a hard copy you can only buy the limited edition. It costs 23,81€ right now as I look at it (amazon.de). The price may vary of course depending on where you live.

6) First and foremost, you won't get a hard copy. Steam offered a different preorder faction (Obama or Tsu, can't remember which one), but that may not be available anymore.

7) You certainly can, how stupid would it be if you couldn't?^^
    This might be helpful for those still playing S2 MP:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=444087

Also check out this awesome channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW
    edited April 2012
    Honor and Glory, don't confuse him. You always get a code no matter where you buy the game. It's not an inconvenience and it's actually cheaper to buy limited from Amazon than it is to go for the download (plus, there may not be the extra clan in the downloaded version).

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,300Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    -_iCeMaN_- wrote: »

1.) Can someone tells me the difference between S2TW and S2FOTS?
    2.) Which do you think is the best? Why?
    3.) I've seen this limited edition of S2FOTS. Whats new with this than S2FOTS only?
    4.) Where can i buy this S2FOTS anyway?
    5.) How much is S2FOTS and S2FOTS Limited Edition? (Hard copy i don't want download only)
    6.) Whats the difference if i bought this on steam?
    7.) If i bought the hard copy can i still play online?
    FotS is all about guns.
    Limited Editions give you one exclusive faction to play. There are three, exclusive through Steam, SEGA store and retail copies.
    Prices vary between where you look.
    There is no difference if you bought it from Steam or anywhere else.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
  • -_iCeMaN_--_iCeMaN_- Senior Member Posts: 109Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Thank you for answering guys but one last question. Should i get the S2FOTS in Steam or in the store? I think the store near us doesn't have limited edition. Anyway if thats the case should i get the hard copy or steam? Do i really need to patch it myself? Cant i just buy the hardcopy then connect it to steam just like that? Thanks!
  • DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,191Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    It will be through Steam no matter if you buy a hard copy or not :) So just do the cheapest one I would say.
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited April 2012
    It will be through Steam no matter if you buy a hard copy or not :) So just do the cheapest one I would say.

SSorry im a bit confused so after i bought the game in the store, i will still need steam to download it again? The guy above mentioned it as i see. Hmm i bought the game and still will dl it in steam? Lol
    edited April 2012
    Nah you will install from disk and then activate through Steam. Steam will then procede to give you all the updates instantly.

edited April 2012
    if you don't want to download the game you can make Steam install the base contents from the disk first. You will then only need to download the updates made since release-date.

You will first need to activate the product key.
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
    edited May 2012
    So the only difference in the limited edition of s2fos is only it got 1 bonus faction in which i cant get if i bought the one that is not limited? Thats all the diff? How about if i buy the one that is not limited can i still get that bonus clan and oter stuffs from steam? Thnx
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator Posts: 7,293Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited May 2012
    Currently the bonus clans that are available as a reward for buying from the outlet that provides the exclusive bonus, is NOT available through subsequent purchase (otherwise this sort of undermines the value of offering the bribe, don't ya see...). IN the past, it HAS been subsequently possible to buy these in later downloads - however the time frame when this might be available, and the probability it even WILL be offered for some or all is at this time unknown.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    edited May 2012
    Thank tou very much all of you who answered my questions u are all helpful. Ill buy then the standard one because i cant wait if i still wait the delivery from amazon and in fact its just 1 bonus clan. No need to add a few bucks for it maybe. Tomorrow ill buy the hardcopy of s2fos. Let me see whats inside it. I hope it had instructions on how to connect it to steam. :)
    edited May 2012
    There are actually three exclusive versions: the Limited Edition in Steam is just one of them. Another is via SEGA store, and a third version can be found only in retail stores. Each one gives a unique faction. They are otherwise the same. If paying more money for that is not your cup of tea, then just settle with a standard, non-exclusive version on Steam or online or in retail stores.
    [code] in your post