Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

New ancient Total War

sdw1000sdw1000 Senior MemberPosts: 611Registered Users
edited June 2012 in Rome: Total War
Instead of Rome 2...how about a Ancient Total War. By this I mean, before Alexander/Rome. 3000 BC -500 BC. Ancient Egyptians, Hittites, Minoans, Phoenicians, Babylonians, Israelites, Sumerians, Etruscans, Indus Valley (Indians), maybe even the Chinese. Ya..I like that idea. :) Thoughts?
Post edited by sdw1000 on
I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.
- William Tecumseh Sherman

Comments

• TheImperatorofRomeTheImperatorofRome Senior Member Posts: 556Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I very much like this.
  • sdw1000sdw1000 Senior Member Posts: 611Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Wow...1 response?? that's it? wtf.
    I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.
  • MaximusdecimusmeridiusMaximusdecimusmeridius Senior Member Posts: 210Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    The issue with this is that we have very few historical records of ancient time periods (prior to Roman historians). So it would have to be based heavily on myth and educated guesses, which probably wouldn't appeal to some TW players.

Also, "1 response?? that's it?" is not especially surprising since it's a Saturday and even TW players have lives ;)
    edited April 2012
    If DBA can make a game based on history before the Roman Empire, I am sure Total War can too. And ya..I am a loser..I get drunk and play Total War on my Saturday nights. lol
    edited April 2012
    LOL. I agree with Maximus, it would be a great game...if CA could make it with reasonable historical accuracy. Most of what we think we know is myths and stories that have been told for thousands of years and could be very far from the truth.
  • joegouvinjoegouvin Senior Member Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    sdw1000 wrote: »
    If DBA can make a game based on history before the Roman Empire, I am sure Total War can too. And ya..I am a loser..I get drunk and play Total War on my Saturday nights. lol
    Interesting combo! Im home procratinating on a science project, but usualy im out with my friends messing around.
    War is Hell.... but who ever said Hell wasnt alot of fun?
  • chenshaschenshas Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    well the historical battles could be based on the battles of the israelites conguests such as the battle for jersualem in 1000 bc and the golan heights. also you could do like the campaigns could be like as the isrealites try to conguer 15 regions and defeat syria and the judeans and hitites and plus you could be like the egyptians and destroy the hittites that or instead of egypt be the jebusites(another isrealy tribe the controled judea aka jersualem)
  • The KestrelThe Kestrel Senior Member Posts: 850Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    This sounds like a great idea. The Assyrians could be a useful addition to the list of ancient powers.
  • crimson_shadecrimson_shade Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    too many ittes back then. faction names would sound a lot like each other and the troop diversity was probably very poor. but that's just my guess.
    • Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    • Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    • Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
    Sun Tzu
  • HeirofAlexanderHeirofAlexander Senior Member Posts: 1,088Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    A guy I know is making a mod for this over at the TWC, if you want I can give you a link to it?
    edited May 2012
    Ya..sounds good...what is the link? Oh...I played DBA wargaming back in the 80's/90's in high school on table top. Then a few years ago before they stopped updating the game I played online. (this way before Total War). Here's the army list for DBA. Any veteran wargamer knows DBA goes from 3000BC -1500 AD...but look at the first 30 (or so) armies...that's what they can base it off of. http://www.dbaol.com/armies.htm
  • HeirofAlexanderHeirofAlexander Senior Member Posts: 1,088Registered Users
    edited May 2012
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I'd like the idea as somthing new, but I can't see them having much material to work with. Many of the units would be quite simple and generic as most just copied their neighbor as best as they could.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
    edited May 2012
    Greece: Total War sounds pretty awesome. Based in the Peleponisian Wars.
    Many city States going for the top spot with Sparta, Athens and Thebes as the major players with Macedon in the North quietly observing, Persia on the sidelines, Rome watching with envious eyes and.....other stuff happening.
    edited June 2012
    actualy when did the battle of troy happen?
    maybe that could a hitorical battle
    edited June 2012
    good idea but remeber they haft to focus on one area and every area since i dont think the chinese would be interested in conguering the hitties(i bet i got that wrong lol)but i see where your going