Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sea Lanes boooooo!

Comments

• Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 2,174
    I like it when people all come together to disagree with someone's hot take
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 5,951

Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

I still don't think we can 100 percent rule out a linked map from nagarond to Cathay.

The way they phrased is that sea lanes will be all over the place to make travel quicker, not an edge linking thing.

Not getting my hopes up, it just seems possible.

That’s what I’m most afraid of.

Not-Chaos rifts all through the worlds oceans.
    Isnt this just like..channels? Or currents? Thats how I will envision them.
    A current that disappears you from Africa and lands you in alaska instantly.
    I was thinking more Alaska, to Korea, or Australia to Chile.

We dont need them otherwise?
    Just like everyone on foot. It takes time to cross the earth.
    Shortcuts are a cheap mechanic, just like rifts (I know the will exist, just like notrifts at sea).
    Either get there normally or do a start position closer.
    So, its impossible to go to Japan to Eua crossing the pacific?
    Or from Oceania to Chad América? i mean South America?

Warhammer world is not flat, dont make sens you be against circumnavigation because "Starting position solving".
    Start position solves the ‘I’m X race and want to fight Y races’.

It doesnt help those who want to sail from America to Asia. But we don’t need to in my opinion.
    Why can’t we go around the poles too.
    There are going to be limitations, I’m happy with that. Sea lanes fixing the limitation is worse to me than the limitation.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • WalkaboutWalkabout Member Registered Users Posts: 2,826
    I think you can still “sail” across the seas if you want. I am curious about how it will impact Vampire Coast gameplay though.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    Crajoh said:

I think you can still “sail” across the seas if you want. I am curious about how it will impact Vampire Coast gameplay though.

Actually a thing I haven’t thought of. May be cool.

But to the same point. CA are mad if a VC lord doesn’t start in the east. Which is what the not-rifts would do anyway.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 10,669

If they’re at the edge of the sea on one side, and transport you to the equivalent edge of the sea on the other side, how is that much different from circumnavigation in practice?

Yes, this is my position, what actually changes other than there not being an empty (Lumbria) ocean in between?
    Glory matters not.

• BigOlBobcatBigOlBobcat Registered Users Posts: 72

I do agree that having sea lanes is disappointing, but only because it means that the .000000000000000000001 percent of a chance to see naval battles goes down by a few more zeros

I have never played empire total war, but don’t sea lanes congregate factions to certain locations, making it easier to find naval battles?
    I'd assume that's how it works because I haven't played Empire either, but if they wanted oceans to play a large part in the game, they'd keep them as is and just have lanes you can travel on quite quickly, like real life trade routes, but my thing is I just want to use dwarf submarines to torpedo fleets of greenskins, cause that'd be awesome
  • ammo2095ammo2095 Registered Users Posts: 1,011
    I really wanted them rifts, instead of sea lanes. Sea lanes are obviously quicker than going through the map, but rifts are instant.

I could've pictured wasting Ulthuan with Malekith before turn 40, honestly.
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Registered Users Posts: 2,482

I thought they were tacky and immersion breaking in empire.

Oh well we have them.

Lame.

ah yes immersion breaking... in a world with Hydras, Elves and Lizardmen
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,681
    East-West wrap around would have been a better solution and should have been really easy to implement. So weird.
  • lcmiraclelcmiracle Registered Users Posts: 818
    ammo2095 said:

I really wanted them rifts, instead of sea lanes. Sea lanes are obviously quicker than going through the map, but rifts are instant.

Perhaps CA will make the sea lane consume all of the army's movement point like the portals. It's be basically the same code probably.
    edited June 15
    lcmiracle said:

ammo2095 said:

Perhaps CA will make the sea lane consume all of the army's movement point like the portals. It's be basically the same code probably.
    Maybe? so what if they do lol? no idea what your point is :D
  • lcmiraclelcmiracle Registered Users Posts: 818
    ammo2095 said:

lcmiracle said:

ammo2095 said:

That way the player will have to expand one turn each time they use the sea lane. Just like the player cannot move regardless how much movement points they have in an army when they enter the portal.

So say you prep by measuring the distance and have the general equip movement range increasing ancilliaries and skills. If the sea lane doesn't consume all movement point, you can potentially cover a large distance in the single turn; if not, one turn is always spend on the other edge of the map.
    lcmiracle said:

ammo2095 said:

lcmiracle said:

ammo2095 said:

That way the player will have to expand one turn each time they use the sea lane. Just like the player cannot move regardless how much movement points they have in an army when they enter the portal.

So say you prep by measuring the distance and have the general equip movement range increasing ancilliaries and skills. If the sea lane doesn't consume all movement point, you can potentially cover a large distance in the single turn; if not, one turn is always spend on the other edge of the map.
    It all depends on how the lanes will work. If they work like they did in Empire, the movement will be reset, gone and the stack will dissappear for a couple of turns, to reappear with full movement. I mean, its logical that they would, so its worth accounting that. Or maybe they will in fact work like the rifts and work instantly idk.

Either way, if the lanes connect to the edges of the map, they'll only be useful to traverse around it. Meaning, that the middle of the map is still not accessible to edge-of-the-map factions. Yeah, I'm confident my invasion will happen in the late game, as always :D
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,473
    Posts removed.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 35,389
    Surge_2 said:

Surge_2 said:

I still don't think we can 100 percent rule out a linked map from nagarond to Cathay.

The way they phrased is that sea lanes will be all over the place to make travel quicker, not an edge linking thing.

Not getting my hopes up, it just seems possible.

That’s what I’m most afraid of.

Not-Chaos rifts all through the worlds oceans.
    Isnt this just like..channels? Or currents? Thats how I will envision them.
    A current that disappears you from Africa and lands you in alaska instantly.
    I was thinking more Alaska, to Korea, or Australia to Chile.

We dont need them otherwise?
    Yeah I also think it’s just for east-west traveling on the edges of the map.

Doubt you will be able to fast travel from Marienburg to Sudenburg for example.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • DTAPPSNZDTAPPSNZ Registered Users Posts: 2,164
    edited June 15
    Do you ever get tired of having bad opinions on the game? Every single week its bad take after bad take.

People wanted circle navigation, this is as close as we are going to get. Possible your going to have to wait a turn before
    popping out the other side. So it wont be instant teleporting all in 1 turn.

Turn 1 starting on the Cathay Sea Lane
    Turn 2 waiting/journeying
    Turn 3 arriving at Naggarond Sea Lane

If an enemy army is Journeying the opposite way at the same time, you have to fight them.

Simple mechanic.
  • T_MACCABBEET_MACCABBEE Registered Users Posts: 700
    Good.
    The more additions that are especially made to **** YOU off, the better.
    edited June 15

Good.
    The more additions that are especially made to **** YOU off, the better.

Much love to you. I do hope CA cater for anti-me, I would be an honour.
    It’s just not ideal, but they get a boo not an angry word.

I love wh3.
    DTAPPSNZ said:

Do you ever get tired of having bad opinions on the game? Every single week its bad take after bad take.

People wanted circle navigation, this is as close as we are going to get. Possible your going to have to wait a turn before

If an enemy army is Journeying the opposite way at the same time, you have to fight them.

Simple mechanic.

Yes it’s simple.

It’s a simple mechanic I hoped was not going to be included.

Why would I be tired of my opinions? Because they don’t match yours? That doesn’t bother me, Fingolfin thinks for Fingolfin. Take whatever you want or not from them.

DTAPPSNZ said:

Simple mechanic.

Yes it’s simple.

Why would I be tired of my opinions? Because they don’t match yours? That doesn’t bother me, Fingolfin thinks for Fingolfin. Take whatever you want or not from them.
    Not being able to attack Cathay from Naggaroth would be completely stupid.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,709
    ArneSo said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

Simple mechanic.

Yes it’s simple.

It's going to make Black Arks so much more valuable.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.

ArneSo said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

Simple mechanic.

Yes it’s simple.

Yap and all starts in Naggaroth so incredibly more interesting.

Khatep could turn from one of the worst start positions in the game to actually one of the most interesting.

Or just imagine Malus when you keep the Hag… could attack Cathay super fast.

• SnakeMajinSnakeMajin Registered Users Posts: 547
    edited June 15
    Historical Political Reference/Comment removed.

Starting positions have nothing to do with this. They are supposed to only affect your starting enemies and environment. Currently Lords in the corners have less options to expand than those in the the centre because they have no choice but to go in one direction. Problem solved now.

Edit : I kinda disagree with the removal of my "historical" comment. Historical RTS games exist, with all it involves at the antimeridian being crossable or not. There is no political debate to generate from it.
    Post edited by SnakeMajin on
  • T_MACCABBEET_MACCABBEE Registered Users Posts: 700
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

Simple mechanic.

Yes it’s simple.

Yap and all starts in Naggaroth so incredibly more interesting.

Khatep could turn from one of the worst start positions in the game to actually one of the most interesting.

Or just imagine Malus when you keep the Hag… could attack Cathay super fast.

It would also make Morathi's start pos a lot more interesting.
    Instead of being caged in a corner, forced to fight Ulthuan every single campaign, you can now have prospects east.
    I think they will be over all the oceans.
    Look at rifts.
    CA can’t help themselves.
  • JerroserJerroser Registered Users Posts: 766
    Probably best to hold off on judging them until we actually see how they work in practice. For now though there really doesn't seem to be much reason at all to think they would be a bad idea.

One thing I'm really wondering about right now is if it will include some kind of system for intercepting armies that are passing through them. So if you have an army at one of the way points or entrance/exits or hold a specific settlement along the way, it will block hostile armies and force a battle between them. Or perhaps to have a small risk that a pirate force will attack every time you use one, with some lanes being more dangerous than others.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 37,688
    edited June 15
    I like it. Better than having rifts everywhere to fast travel.

I'm a very turtle like player, but the option to go somewhere random or get an invasion force from somewhere random is pretty cool. That said I'll wait to see them implemented before judgement.

As a side-note I feel bad that OP is being harassed for expressing an opinion. People are allowed to have unpopular opinions.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Disciple of the Drybrush

• Ben1990Ben1990 Registered Users Posts: 2,292

I thought they were tacky and immersion breaking in empire.

Oh well we have them.

Lame.

>This entire post

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,492
    I like them spoooooky booooo lanes!

I like it. Better than having rifts everywhere to fast travel.

I'm a very turtle like player, but the option to go somewhere random or get an invasion force from somewhere random is pretty cool. That said I'll wait to see them implemented before judgement.

As a side-note I feel bad that OP is being harassed for expressing an opinion. People are allowed to have unpopular opinions.

I think will still have rifts on land in some capacity.
    I also have a fear the ‘sea lanes’ will also be around the southlands and old world acting as not-rifts.

I am open to their Implementation, but gave them a booo from past experience and my above fear. Maybe a bit premature, but hey, what’s a little bombast between forumites here and there?

My opinions are my own, I don’t mind the rest, inappropriate comments get removed mostly. Disagrees mean there is at least engagement with the post I guess. 🤗