Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Just for Fun 7: A concept pitch for a faction human/undead faction in the Southlands

sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3,002
edited June 29 in General Discussion
Hey everyone,

Some may now this run already, but in the past, I used my Covid-time to come up with a few potentially interesting factions which could fill out the empty regions of the Warhammer world. Of which there are many. One major region which is largely unknown or rather unimportant are the southern Southlands, despite there being so many sub-saharan cultures which are interesting templates for a Warhammer faction.

After getting a new look for at the southlands for IME, this forum had a few discussions about that place. Especially what could be present there in terms of an African-based warhammer faction.
This gave me the idea make my third take on this neglected area of the warhammer setting. Previously did a human faction based on Ethiopia and a dwarfen faction based on Mali.

Thus, I came up with a west-african, voodoo inspired faction I call Adasan. (all names are entirely fictitious placeholders by me, as I do not know the languages of the cultures I based this pitch on).
As always, all of this is just for fun speculation to show how much potential the Warhammer setting holds. But none of this should be taken seriously. And anything I write here is free to be used by everyone as they like
I hope you can enjoy some of these ideas:smile:

1. Overview:

I must report my mistress, that I made a discovery. My contacts among the arabyian merchants report that there are humans in the south, who are let by a precarious breed of vampires. I have yet to uncover their origin and motives, as they are well hidden in the jungles. But be assured that these feral savages are nothing against the glory that is your bloodline.
Report to a lamihan vampire in Copher

The Adasani are a people based on the Akan and Yoruba of modern-day Ghana and Nigeria. They are a divided people separated into various tribes and nations. But one element that combines them is their reverence for vampires.
A forgotten vampire bloodline, simply called Bosami, fled south at some point after the vampiric diaspora. (Imagine for the Bosami long-limbed bat-looking vampires like the Necrarchs, but with the claws and teeth of a Strigoy.) Like all vampires the Bosami wanted to accumulate power. Thus, they used pre-existing beliefs of the local humans to enter themselves into an authoritative position.
Now the vampires rule the lands via their human agents, who see them akin to demigods. In turn the vampires will unleash their sorcerous might to protect their subjects if necessary.

Sidenote: the term Bosami is derived from Baron Samedi, an underworld deity from Haitian voodoo, who has its roots in western Africa including the Akan another people there.

2. Why:

One thing I always found interesting in Warhammer are vampire and human cooperation’s. These are part of the lore. For example, how Vlad was seen as a comparatively just ruler by the population of Sylvania. Or how the ancient realm of Strygos was supposedly run fairly by its vampiric leaders.
I always found it sad, that nothing of these interesting premises survived into the recent period of Warhammer.
In addition to this western Africa is a very culture rich region, which has its own takes on various creatures often associated with vampires. And west african religions generated voodoo, which in turn influenced other modern-day tropes about undead, e.g., zombies (even if the original zombies were a metaphor for enslavement, and not necessarily undead).

One interesting vampiric figure of this region are the Asambosam, which could quickly be called tree vampires. These humanoid creatures often incorporate bat or primate traits, in addition traits like to curved claws and iron teeth.

In addition, Western African region is a very diverse and very interesting territory. South of the Sahelzone it is a territory divided into savannah in the north and tropical rainforest in the south, in addition to rivers, mountains and coastal lands. This leads to a wide variety of different environments and cultures. Resource rich in minerals, ivory and spices and herbs this region was also considered rich for a long time and was strongly incorporated into global trading networks like the trans-saharan trading network. With many cultures forming there with cities, nations, and empires.
The two I picked for this faction pitch are the Yoruba and the Akan, who have a very interesting history for those who want to look them up.

3. Society:

When you enter the Adasani territory be always sure to not enter their “sacred groves”. I would call them swamp or green hell, not sacred. But there is something in there they revere. And they sacrifice to it. I have seen criminals led in there and never return. So, if you do not want to learn what is there, respect their customs and law.
Arabyian merchants advise to his colleague

Sketch of a Yoruba City

The Adasani are a highly structured culture. They are divided into classes of commoners, nobles, priests and lastly the Bosami-Bloodline of vampires. The vampires are revered as demigods by the Adasani. And it’s easy to see why. They are immortal and apparently control the rhythm of life and death.
However, the Bosami prefer to execute their power discreetly. They have a naturalistic attitude and thus like to claim parts of forests or jungles as their home, where they live hidden in the canopy with their sons and daughters, those they deemed worthy of the blood kiss. These areas are often infused with the dark magic emitted from the vampire and its spells. For the Adasani these areas are sacred places, equally feared and revered.

The Adasani give the Boasmi blood tributes. These can come in two ways.
The first is an honor in which members of the noble classes voluntarily seeks an “audience” with the vampire and lets him/her drink upon him. This tribute is seen as the legitimation for the noble family to rule in the vampire’s name and authority over the other people.
The other is done unto criminals as a form of execution, in which the criminal in question is sent over to the vampire to await their judgement.

As mentioned, the nobles and priests rule the day-to-day affairs of community in the name of their vampiric overlords. Often proudly showing of their bite marks as a mark of authority. And many of them hope to be proven worthy of the blood kiss.
Below these two are the commoners, who are the main bulk of the farmers, artisans, and soldiers. They never have contact with the vampires and ow their allegiance to the nobles.

The Bosami are highly interest in keeping this system of discretion up, as it offers many benefits. It keeps them safe from internal and external threats. And playing the guise of a god is easier with a degree of separation when your subjects do not see your misgivings every day. And its easier to mask the presence of undead and vampires from potentially hostile outsiders. Thus, the Bosami hunt down any vampire not following their rules, e.g., if s/he were to murder several people in a bloodlust phase. Indeed, the Bosami are as fractured as the various Adasni, after their primogeniture has been lost. They often fight with their undead and living armies for control against each other, but thus far no one could claim total dominance.

4. Religion:

Surley they are the sons of the great gods of the underworld. For how could they not be? You have seen their works. Seen how our mothers and fathers returned from the grave to protect us from the orcs. How can you deny their divinity?
Adasani soldier to his friend

Spiritually the Vampires are seen as demigods of death, sons and daughters of the Adasani underworld deity. Bosami vampires originating from the Adasani fully belief this to be true too. And even those very old vampires, who still remember their arrival in this part of the world, started to think so too out of megalomanic grandeur.

But there are many other beliefs as well. E.g., there is a strong ancestor worship within the Adasani cultures. A belief only strengthened by the necromantic magics of the vampires, who can raise the spirits and body of the dead to aid the living. Thus, proper burying rituals are important, overseen by the priests marked by the vampires, who may or may not function as lesser necromancers. Warriors are given special treatments before being entombed with all their weapons. These warriors can be called upon in times of danger by the vampires and are then equally skilled as they were in life, but greatly enhanced in strength and durability by the rituals and their status of undead.

In addition to these death cults there are also many other religious practices for all aspects of life. Much like the Adanasi see the vampires as demigods of the underworld, they have other spirits or gods for the rivers, the flora and fauna, childbirth and whatever you may need a god for. Each of these cults are led by priests. And whilst the Bosami try to influence these cults as well, they are often meet with resistance by them. Like when the priests draw a sharp line and restrict the vampires only to the domain of death. This can lead to intense theological debates at best, or at worst to conflict.

5. Economy

The Adasani know their territory very well and which riches there are to find. They are good craftsmen and miners who find all kinds of previous ores and know how to make steel weapons and other artefacts. In addition, they know the plants and animals of their land as well, and for what they are good for.
They use the fertile areas of their land to farm a wide variety of crops, herbs, and spices. And their larger cities are hubs for trades and artisanship. Often these cities are located along rivers, which are the best transport routes through the land. Via these rivers they also have contact to the outside world, where they trade intensively with Arabyian sailors or other maritime merchants. These traders are especially interested in the local spices like cocoa.

In terms of domesticated animals, the Adasani have a lot of waterfowl and chicken and goats and such. But horses and cattle have troubles in the climate and are a rare commodity only used by the nobility. But they were also able to tame a lot of local creatures for a variety of applications. Smaller monkeys for examples are used similarly to how other societies use dogs. And birds and bats are often seen pets.

Sketch of a Yoruba house

Sketch of an Akan house

6. Military

On one of my voyages, we reached the southern jungles. To our surprise we met humans there. Hungry for contact after weeks of sea, we entered their cities and lived among them for a time. At first everything was fine, but the more time I spent there, there more I felt like a shadow laying over everything. And it was when I saw undead soldiers marching side by side with the living against some orcs, that I knew what that was.
Accounts of Gunther Meerslieb, Marienburger sailor and privateer

In preparation for war the nobles are expected to train soldiers and raise levies. Most of these soldiers are legionnaires equipped with a round shield, spears, and a short sword. They are led by noble regiments on horseback or as elite infantry, and various kinds of light infantry. In addition to these forces local wildlife is often tamed and equipped with armor and weapons to be unleashed against the enemy.
Also of note is that the Adasani like to poison their weapons with various toxins distilled from the local area, giving most of their living troops poisonous attacks.

Finally, there are the vampires themselves, who are still deadly creatures with access to magic. And they can bring various undead creatures and constructs with them, in addition to great boosts of magic.

This makes the Adasan a generalist force which combines a variety of low to mid-tier human troops, and vampires and undead as the higher tier soldiers. Giving them a versailte option for most engagements.

West african sword, known as Ida

Akrafena, a sword used by the Ashanti

6.1. Units:

6.2 Lords:

Bosami Lord: Hybrid melee/caster lord with access to the Lore of Vampires. Can mount a Grootslang or a death altar.

The Bosami may be strange vampires, but they are still vampires. Much faster and stronger than a mere human they also have great magical potential. With ease they can slay a human and suck its body dry. If the need arises, the Bosami assume direct command over the armies of Adasan, both alive and undead. To the humans it will be like a demigod walking amongst them, and the undead will be strengthened too due to the locust of necromantic energy they provide.

Tufohen: Regular melee Lord with shield and sword. Can mount a horse or a chariot.

The highest rank a human can achieve. These are the most favored humans by the Bosami. To achieve this position it is not enough to come from a prestigious line, but also to constantly prove your worth. As such the Adasan Kings are fierce warriors and great generals. Often, they use gifts like magical weapons given to them by the Bosami.
Regular melee

6.3 Heroes:

Cheiftains:
Hero with ranged anti-larged javelins and sword and shield. Can mount a horse and does poison damage.

Chieftains are leaders of communities and tribes and answer directly to the king. Whilst some enjoy the favour of the bosami, many others got their position soley by their own toil. They are mainly responsible for training the human troops and are among the first to organize counter attacks.

Bokor Priests:
Human mages with the lore of Vampires as well as buffs to strengthen undead troops. May mount a horse or a death altar

Mambo Priests are acolytes and servants of the Bosami. Everywhere else they may be called necromancers, but for the Adasan they are not these evil, twisted people. Whilst they are terrifying and potentially dangerous if crossed the wrong way, these priests are talkers to the dead and ancestors. And its them who rouse the dead into battle, if the bosami are not present.

Hougan Priest:
Human mages with the lore of life and potentially beasts, heavens and others. Additionally, can buff friendly units with different potions. Can mount a horse or a chariot.

Hougan Priests follow the other gods and forces of the Adasan pantheon. And some of them are even passable magic users. They use magical talents to serve their forces, especially the living parts. In addition, they are often great herbalists who know how to produce toxins and potions of various effects and supply them to the soldiers.

6.4 Infantry:

Levy:
Levies are parts of the Adasan forces who did not receive formal training. Instead they are hunters, trappers, farmers and others who show talent with skirmishing wepaons. It is their main purpose to attack the enemy with various projectiles before the lines meet.
They come in too variants:

-Levy (bow): Light skirmisher with a bow who does poision damage
-Levy (javelin): Light infantry with an anti-large javelin who does posion damage.

Adasan Legionnaire: Heavy infantry who fight with precurser javelins and poisionous short swords. Protected by a large shield

Yoruba Legionaire from AoE3

As I am lazy, I just copy AoE3 s text of Yoruba legionnaires. It’s basically the same unit: “Oyo infantry were among the most organized and formidable fighting forces on the African continent during the early modern period. Reminiscent to their counterparts in Imperial Rome over a millennium prior, they were issued standardized equipment: a shield, an ida sword, and javelins. Oyo infantry sometimes poisoned their blades, lending themselves an extra dimension of power and danger on the battlefield”

Rifle guard: A regiment of gunners with arcebuses of arabyian or estalian origin

The Akan saw the value in gunpowder very early on and established a permanent rifle regiment for their forces. These soldiers are similar, and they get their weapons via trade with arabyian or estalian/tilean traders

Shield bearer: Heavy infantry with huge shields and polearms
Shield bearers are the elite infantry of the living forces. They are handpicked for their skill and service history by the nobles and go into battle wearing highly ornate armaments. They are the primary line and final line of defense. If they should die, they have a good chance to be elevated to become ancestor warriors after death.

Ancestor warriors: Ancestor warriors were extraordinary warriors in life and thus were deemed worthy for special burial rituals. These rituals ensure that the spirit warriors can be roused to answer the call of a vampire or a Mambo Priest and retain their combat skills of their old life. Often, they are given special weapons enchanted by the priests, and are seen as heroes from old ages coming back in in the direst of hours. To their enemies though they are dread incarnate.

Undead elite infantry that deals poisonous damage. Comes in the following variants:
-Bow: Bows seeping in necromantic energies. Do poisonous and magical damage
- Sword and Shield: Elite line holder and good against infantry
- Two-handed weapons: Using obsidian war clubs and steel axes, these undead warriors focus on destroying enemy armor

Zombies: Regular zombies to slow down the enemy
If the circumstances call for it, all available ancestors are called back from the grave. Even if they have not gotten the proper rituals to make them true ancestor warriors, the sheer number of these undead standing in between the enemy and their targets can offer valuable protection for the more critical parts of the army.

6.5 Cavalry & monsters:

Noble Riders: Armored cavalry with poision tipped lances, shields and quilled armor.

Yoruba Eso Rider from AoE3

Horses do not take well to the climates of the Adasan. They are difficult to breed and are susceptible to many native diseases. (tse-tse flies are part why horses are so scares in sub-saharan Africa). Thus, only nobles with great resources can afford them. They are capable warriors but stay behind most other elite cavalry forces. They circumvent this by poisoning all their weapons.

Noble charioteers: Chariots from which anti-large poisonous javelins are thrown

As horses are very expensive, having a retinue of entire cavalry men can be too costly for some cities. In these cases what few horses are available are used to pull chariots. These chariots are used to skirmish the enemy lines and to weaken specific targets.

Ancestor riders: Elite undeath cavalry using lances and shields

Due to how rare horses are in this region, if one dies it too is given special preparations. So that it may serve its former owner again when he is called forth.

Apemen: monstrous infantry with large charging bonuses. In purpose similar to rat ogres, but with a lot of armour

These apemen are great primates like Gorillas. How they enter the service of the Adasan is unknown. Where they feral beasts to be tamed, or are they intelligent enough to reach an agreement of sorts? Either way Hougan Priests can summon them in times of need. Then they are outfitted with heavy armour and charge with all their force into enemy lines

Grootslang: The Grootslang is SEM with a similar focus on anti-large and regeneration like the Hellpit abomination.

Grotslang are the greatest undead constructs the Bosami can create. A giant cadaver stitched together with dark magic from various creatures of the jungles. Most notably it often includes remnants of great snakes and elephants. When called to battle, this behemoth charges forth, clashing into any threat that opposes it.

Aristic depiction of a Grootslang as a cryptid

Bats: Vampire bats just like the other vampire factions have them

Beast pack: Undead variant of white lions. So elite warhounds with armor-piercing potential
The jungle of the Southland is home to various predators. Many of these creatures are too useful in war, to just let them compose after their death. Thus undead lions, leopards, hyeanas and other hunters are reanimated by Bosami or their acolytes and used to support their armies in times of war.

6.6 War machines:

Underworld Altar:
This altar is a locus to the underworld. A magical construct infused with the energy of death and blessed by the Bosami-vampires and their priest, showing the icons of death and the underworld god of the Adasan. This machine primarily revitalizes the undead warriors of the Adasan. In addition, it increases the magical energies priest or vampires can draw upon, and it can unleash bound spells like the curse of ages upon the enemy.

Gbedu cart: A cart with a huge drum on it. Buffs living troops akin to a grail reliquae, increasing their speed and morale.

War drums dictate the rhythm of war. For this reason, the Adasan created large carts on which a young noble and his bodyguard take their place. Their role is to keep the rhythm of war alive, so that it may invigorate the living troops during the battle.

7. History and Relations

7.1 History

The exact origin of the Bosami is a mystery. Like all vampires they treat their roots back to Lamiah and Neferatas experiments. But who the founder of their bloodline is has been lost to time. Fact is, they turned south at some point after the destruction of ancient Strygos. Only a handful of the Bosami arrived in the steaming jungles and scorching savannahs south of the great desert. There they found human tribes and nations. These isolated communities held great reverence for their dead and their ancestors. The vampires found this believe easy to use. They integrated themselves into these communities as demigods sent from the underworld to rule the living.
This happened in large part thanks to Clan Pestilence. The skavaen invaded Adasan, and their plagues decimated the human population, before thousands of ratmen attacked. The Bosami were unfettered by the disease. And they called forth an equal number of undead to defend the living. This act cemented the Bosami as demigods and rightful rulers of the Adasan. Thus, each Bosami vampire took control of their own fiefdom.

But the Bosami succumbed to the weakness all vampires share. A lust for power and dominance. Soon after their arrival their bloodline splintered into a civil war. Not long after most of the original founders of the Bosami were dead or mad or retreated into deep isolation. And their vampiric offspring, chosen from the tribes they ruled, became the dominant force of their bloodline. To avoid unnecessary risks, both from internal and external threats, this new generation chose an indirect rule. Retreating into sacred territories where they were less of a target to enemies. Indeed, it was easier to play the role of a divine figure from afar, then when your subjects see you each day, potentially with all your misgivings. Distance supported reverence. Thus the Bosami controlled the human tribes via selecting favored human servants, who had to obey every command given to them.

Around the same time arabyian merchants made regular contact with the adasani, exchanging spices, pelts, jewels, and slaves against various goods from the northern realms. Still over the following centuries the land of Adasan remained a rumor or myth in most areas of the world, as only few traders from the Old World would reach their coast.
Still this trade allowed Adasan to prosper, with many of its cities growing big and rich. Which in turn attracted their own set of rivals.

Soon Adasan drew the attention of other undead powers. First of all, the Tomb Kings, who tried to invoke millennia old tributes. But worst of all was the envy of the Strigoy. These vampires whished nothing more than to the Strygos rise again. And to see this realm, prosperous and intact, drew their ire. This resulted in a group of stigoy ghoul kings marching south with an enormous warhost. Their goal was to utterly usurp the Bosami. An event which became legendary as the ghoul wars, a conflict which devastated Adasan.

Since then Adasan had time to rebuild and restructure itself. But it is still a fractured nation and thus vulnerable. And the winds of time change evermore. Several bosami and other characters feel the gears of destiny shifting. And each wants to unite Adasan under their own rule.

7.2 Relations

Humans: To most human nations Adasan is a mysterious, near mythical realm. An exotic land, ruled by dark demigods, at the periphery of the known world. Those traders who make the journey often do not know that the land is ruled by vampires and necromancers, or actively ignore the signs and hints in favor of commerce. For unlike Mousillon or Sylvania the vampiric presence is weak at a first glance. Indeed, as long as the literal dead are not moving, one could just assume all the hints of necromancy are the quirks of an exotic religion.
As such terms between the various human nations are amicable. Especially the arabiyans are close with the adasan, both diplomatically and commercially. But traders from other nations are equally well seen.

Vampires: Other vampires are not as easily fooled as humans. They know who the rulers of Adasan are. But each bloodline has their own opinion on them. For von Carsteins, Necrarchs most Blood Dragons Bosami are savage creatures ruling petty kingdoms at the rim of the known world. Why should they care? Those Strigoy who know them may be envious, as the Bosami are the closest to their dream of restoring Strygos in some fashion. Indeed, some Strigoy went south with the intention of usurping the Bosami, leading conflicts known as the ghoul wars. The lamiahns meanwhile are still selecting their options. They severely distrust the Bosami, due to their isolation and open rule. But they are still evaluating whether they are a potential tool, a potential annoyance or overall unimportant.

Tomb Kings: The ancestors of the Adasani had contact with the Nehekarians. Maybe the reverence for the dead and ancestors had been a product of this early exchange. Either way pompous Tomb Kings always assumed the Adasani to be a tributary puppet state at best. A mindset that did not change over the millennia nor the resurrection of the kings of old. And the equally undead rulers of the Adasani have an interest in keeping these relations stable. However there have been times when the Tomb Kings marched to war against Adasan. Some Tomb Kings share Khalidas opinion on vampires. Others may have felt slighted over some incident. Or had just an aggressive phase. Either way in these wars the Adasan were mostly on the defensive in these conflicts, using the rivers, swamps and jungles of their homes as additional barriers. To this day remnants of Ushabti and other constructs lie half sunken and covered in plants on these past battlefields.

Greenskins: The savage orcs of the southlands are an enemy since time immemorial. With no enemy are the Adasani more familiar. These green brutes have led countless Waaghs against their forces. Indeed, one reason why the Bosami were so openly accepted was their help in defeating the latest Waaghs. Bolstered by undead allies the Adasani managed to purge large swaths of their territory from the greenskin pest. But the jungle is still infested with them. And each day a new Waagh! could happen.

Lizardmen: In long forgotten ages the Lizardmen may have been something akin to allies for the ancestors of the Adasani. As humans were part of the Great Plan, the Adasani enjoyed a measure of tolerance and maybe even peaceful interaction. Indeed, maybe their reverence of their ancestors and the dead may have been influenced by Relic Priests. However, this changed when the Bosami took control. Vampires and undead of any kind are unnatural. The dark magic attracted by the necromancy a corruption of the land. And indeed, the Bosami are hunting for Lizardmen artifacts or are occupying certain spots on the geomantic web too increase their magical abilities. The Lizardmen are primarily interested in eradicating the vampires. But they will equally butcher any human force fighting on their behalf. Thus, the lizardmen became one of the most frequent enemies of Adasan. Luckily, the lizardmen of the Southlands are generally more disoriented and weaker than their cousins in Lustria.

Skaven: The southlands are home to Clan Pestilence. This clan has warred with the Adasani since their initial arrival there. Over generations their plagues and clanrats took their tribute. But with undead support the Adasani were able to turn back the fight on a few occasions. Since then Clan Pestilens is weary of this vampiric dominance in the middle of its territory. And they undertook many plans to remove this problem. But none were successful thus far.

8. Characters

The characters I list here are just examples for what kind of lords could be expected from a faction like this. As such they are just exemplary slates. In the current standing each of the three legendary lords encompasses a different aspect of Adasan culture, and are in opposition to each other.

Olalekan, First of the Bosami: A legendary lord of the Bosami bloodline. An equally skilled warrior and sorcerer with centuries of experience as an undead. Currently the strongest Bosami vampire.

8.1 Kwado was one of the first Adasani to be given the bloodkiss. Even before his transformation he had been a capable but also arrogant leader of his people. Since then, he has fully embraced his identity. Despite being schooled by his “father” about the origins of vampirism, he truly embraced the local folktale that vampires are the children or servants of the death gods of the Adasan. And he expects to be revered in a similar way.
Since then, centuries past and with each day did his ambition and desire for power only grow. He abided the rules of indirect rulership but has since then spun a net of mortal and undead servants across all of Adasan. This, in addition to his intelligence and ruthlessness, made him the strongest living member of the Bosami bloodline. A position he is very aware of. And he has grand plans to spread his influence further, against all opposition. In the end all show bow before the most beloved child of the underworld!

8.2 Yaba Kofi, the eternal ancestor: An independent wight king of old times, who is primarily a warrior. However, as a legendary figure from past ages he also inspires his followers, both living and undead.

Yaba Kofis life had been a legend all by itself. So great was his prestige, that he was able to unite Adasan under his rule, without being subservient to any vampire lord. Under his role WAAGH!s were beaten back, temple cities were sacked and even the Tomb Kings tasted defeat. But no legend rules forever and after a long-life death took him still. He was prepared to become an ancestor warrior to lead his people in times of need. However, when his time came, and he once again saved Adasan, Yaba Kofi refused to return to his grave, as it was common for ancestor warriors. Instead, is iron will kept him alive as a wight. And he plans to rebuild what he had lost in life. Opposition is strong, as many vampires remember his previous rule, and do not whish for it to return. Especially not by a now undead and thus immortal version of Kofi. Thus, Kofi is more or less in open opposition to the Bosami. Demigod vs legendary ancestor. The outcome of this conflict may decide the future of Adasan wholesale.

8.3Efua, the usurper queen: Efua is a sorceress using the lore of life, as well as a variety of potions. She is the primary buffer of living troops and supports them the most.

Efua is one of the most powerful hougan priestesses in all of Adasan, who revered the various other gods of the Adasan. She always had a certain disdain for the Bosami. For why should children of the underworld rule the living? There natural place was elsewhere. This of course made her a potential threat to the Bosami, who on many occasions sought to eliminate her. But openly murdering a beloved priest of equally beloved goddesses would be too much, even for the local Bosami. Thus, they tried all manner of subtle means. Efua survived them all. And indeed, after a particular nasty incident she had enough. She went into the sacred grove and challenged the local Bosami lord. As his children stood by and watched, a magical duel ensued. It ended, when Efua used a magical potion, which robbed the Bosami of his power, before she decapitated the vampire with a sickle and threw his remnants away. This blasphemous action made Efua legendary among the Adasan, but not in a positive sense. Since then, Efua has magically enthralled various Bosami and undead wants to return the vampires to what the priestess perceives as their natural place. Those who are dead but exist in the living world should be servants of the living, not their masters!
Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting

Comments

• mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 11,223
    I mean, a mixed Undead/living Race in the Southland's technically already exists, it's called TK, more specifically Tutankhanut and his army of Human Scythians.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,002

I mean, a mixed Undead/living Race in the Southland's technically already exists, it's called TK, more specifically Tutankhanut and his army of Human Scythians.

You are correct its techniacly a thing. And I would hope to see that explored further at some point. But currently its mostly a sidenote for the grander TK.

And I think such dynamics are interesting enough to be the basis for its own thing.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • Ben1990#8909Ben1990#8909 Registered Users Posts: 2,865

Based Tutankhanut. Based Numas. Pity there are no Araby units with Nomad themes because if they were in the game, then Numas would've gotten a very special landmark for TK factions.
  • DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 4,735
    edited June 30
    It's weird that you'd make a race based on the American West, and then not stick it in southern Naggaroth, which is, frankly, just as unknown or rather unimportant as southern Southlands.

Nevermind. I misread.
    Post edited by DarthEnderX-#6513 on
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • SaintCorn#3148SaintCorn#3148 Registered Users Posts: 2,856

It's weird that you'd make a race based on the American West, and then not stick it in southern Naggaroth, which is, frankly, just as unknown or rather unimportant as southern Southlands.

It's based on the Akan people and Yoruba people of West Africa. I don't know where you are getting American West from.

• SaintCorn#3148SaintCorn#3148 Registered Users Posts: 2,856
    Also, solid writeup sykall.

It's definitely explores an aspect that I always viewed as underutilized in Warhammer Fantasy, humans and vampires coexisting in a single culture. Likewise, it does stay true to the undead in Fantasy generally corrupting everything they touch and being scheming manipulators.
    So, thanks once again as these are wonderful to read.

• DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 4,735
    SaintCorn said:

It's based on the Akan people and Yoruba people of West Africa. I don't know where you are getting American West from.

I misread.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
    SaintCorn said:

Also, solid writeup sykall.

It's definitely explores an aspect that I always viewed as underutilized in Warhammer Fantasy, humans and vampires coexisting in a single culture. Likewise, it does stay true to the undead in Fantasy generally corrupting everything they touch and being scheming manipulators.
    So, thanks once again as these are wonderful to read.

Thanks a lot for your kind words :blush: I am glad that you and others enjoy it.
  • MalalTheRenegade#5644MalalTheRenegade#5644 Registered Users Posts: 893
    Great stuff !

I would not like that in game as it's just fan fiction but you really did an amazing job ! I was already picturing Adasani nobles covered in bite marks (a bit like Killmonger scars in the MCU) showing off their ritual scars as proof of their power.

As a game master in a few pen & paper RPGs, you certainly gave me some inspiration to expand the universes I created.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mattock said:

Really interesting post, new necromanctic cultures are always interesting. I always liked the idea of a Utopian Necromancy state in fantasy. Necromancy religious cult at the top, and living subjects below, with the societal concept that your life is yours, but your corspe is the nations.

Upon your death your soul is bid farewell at your funeral, and which point your body is cleaned to just white bones and it is then used as a puppet by the necromaners and sent to be the workforce of the nation, tending to the fields, fighting its wars, constructing its cities, even acting a servants to the population etc. Essentially the necromantic equivalent of a fully automated society. In return for controlling the skeletal workforce, the necromancers are treated as kings living in luxury and revered by the population.

Probably wouldn't work within the warahmmer world as necromancy corrupts the land but i think exploring necromany ideas besides "kill everyone and resurrect them all" are interesting.

I would not consider necromancy as a way to build a utopia. But otherwise I agree that necromancy should have a much greater impact beyond "evil socerer kills everyone to make mooks" approach most Fantasy settings use.

Though techniacly one could get a society like you describe in warhammer. Prior to Nagash the liche priests of Nehekara were experimenting in this direction. And I think they already reached a level where they could command a corpse to do action X.
    Indeed TK magic is likley the closest we will get in warhammer to "good" necromancy. Especially as this magic does not use Dhar and does not corrupt the land.

However its also much more limited and only works if the corpses were expensivly prepared prior to ressurrection.
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,059
    Excellent writing as always.
    Mattock said:

Really interesting post, new necromanctic cultures are always interesting. I always liked the idea of a Utopian Necromancy state in fantasy. Necromancy religious cult at the top, and living subjects below, with the societal concept that your life is yours, but your corspe is the nations.

Upon your death your soul is bid farewell at your funeral, and which point your body is cleaned to just white bones and it is then used as a puppet by the necromaners and sent to be the workforce of the nation, tending to the fields, fighting its wars, constructing its cities, even acting a servants to the population etc. Essentially the necromantic equivalent of a fully automated society. In return for controlling the skeletal workforce, the necromancers are treated as kings living in luxury and revered by the population.

Probably wouldn't work within the warahmmer world as necromancy corrupts the land but i think exploring necromany ideas besides "kill everyone and resurrect them all" are interesting.

Yes, undead and living fighting side by side for the greater good is pretty cool concept.
    By the way thanks to @PoorManatee6197 for suggesting a creature I was not aware off, the Kikiyaon. A kryptid creature from western africa, which is essentially a murder-owl.

Now I am not aware how "true" this creature is as most entries I could find of it were fan wikis and cryptozooligcal sites without primary sources. But in addition to being a monstrous owl from western africa, its epitheth of the soul-cannibal alone makes the Kikiyaon an interesting creature. Especially for an undead-associated faction like Adasan.

Fan-art reaches from Owl with spikes to humanoid were-owl thing.

My turn on this creature would make it akin to a terrogheist or vargheist in terms of body build. So either a large, dragon-esque owl, or a gorilla-shaped owl-human hybrid still capable of flight. With this creature either being mutatants like Griffons and Pegasi enthralled or attracted by the dark magic emitting from the Bosami groves, or it being a creature created by alchemic experimentations of the Bokor Priests. A bit of warpstone, a bit of vampiric blood, grinded down owl bones and other things mixed at a full moon and given to a poor test subject. Something along these lines.
    sykall said:

By the way thanks to @PoorManatee6197 for suggesting a creature I was not aware off, the Kikiyaon. A kryptid creature from western africa, which is essentially a murder-owl.

Now I am not aware how "true" this creature is as most entries I could find of it were fan wikis and cryptozooligcal sites without primary sources. But in addition to being a monstrous owl from western africa, its epitheth of the soul-cannibal alone makes the Kikiyaon an interesting creature. Especially for an undead-associated faction like Adasan.

My turn on this creature would make it akin to a terrogheist or vargheist in terms of body build. So either a large, dragon-esque owl, or a gorilla-shaped owl-human hybrid still capable of flight. With this creature either being mutatants like Griffons and Pegasi enthralled or attracted by the dark magic emitting from the Bosami groves, or it being a creature created by alchemic experimentations of the Bokor Priests. A bit of warpstone, a bit of vampiric blood, grinded down owl bones and other things mixed at a full moon and given to a poor test subject. Something along these lines.

Isn't that the Owlbear from D&D and Pathfinder?
  • chaosdwarf#1649chaosdwarf#1649 Registered Users Posts: 103
    Don't ghoul tribes come from Southlands already in the lore?
  • EyeEye Registered Users Posts: 161

Mattock said:

Yes, undead and living fighting side by side for the greater good is pretty cool concept.
    It's also pretty much already in exist warhammer Von carstein is often using living units and There is one tomb king city that also using human soldiers

sykall said:

Isn't that the Owlbear from D&D and Pathfinder?
    Could be. I do not know D&D very well. As I said I only found this creature in cryptid fan wikis.
    Though I do think that it could be an adequat replacement for Vargheist or Terrorgheist depedending on how this creature is used. For owls are often associated with the night and death in various folklore. For example a german saying claims the call of an owl announces death a person of the household it sits on.

And IIRC in hawai'an and mexican folklore they are directly associated with the underworld.

So owls are kinda fitting for an undead faction based on a variety of folklore. And its IMO better than to recycle terrogheist a third time.
    Eye said:

Mattock said:

It's also pretty much already in exist warhammer Von carstein is often using living units and There is one tomb king city that also using human soldiers
    True but these are mostly sidenotes within larger factions or events, which are rarley explored further.
    Despite living-undead Interactions having a lot of interesting potential. Especially if you'd have a culture primarly based on this duality.

Don't ghoul tribes come from Southlands already in the lore?

I do not know them in the Southlands. But around Nagashizzar there are a lot of them, and they worshipp Nagash as a God, IIRC.