Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do you remember Aranessa?

Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
Do you remember when Aranessa was revealed as a part of the Vampire Coast DLC? It made very little sense, even less than marked characters not being part of their god's race. At the time, CA told us they couldn't make that a Dreadfleet DLC, which probably meant that GW would have asked more money for an additional license. So they had to make up a character and add a completely unrelated one to fill the pack.

The bottom line is: some decisions aren't driven by gameplay or lore reasons, but by economical-logistical ones. And that's probably the case with this Chaos DLC. But obviously they couldn't tell us the naked truth. A shame, but in the end this is a for-profit endeavor, not an artistic one.

Comments

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,206
    Who?

I remember Nakai, though. And that balance and bug pass that WH2 never got.

Looks like they changed him a little for Game 3 at least. Hope it's enough.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 38,468
    Awwww yis.

I played her. Good character.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Disciple of the Drybrush

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 7,552
    And I still have qualms on that choice to this day. It's gotten to where I prefer playing Cylostra over her.

Nor did I like that reasoning. Okay, bite the bullet you maties and call it Dreadfleet. Because they did not say the could not make a Dreadfleet DLC but they were making a Vampire Coast DLC and felt if they added another it would just be a Dreadfleet DLC. Maybe that wanted to keep the theme of Vampire Coast and undead but to many of the other Dreadfleet and it might not be truly warranted to be built around undead or they'd have to pay more. But they never said can't, they said they didn't want to do that.
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    Nyxilis said:

And I still have qualms on that choice to this day. It's gotten to where I prefer playing Cylostra over her.

Nor did I like that reasoning. Okay, bite the bullet you maties and call it Dreadfleet. Because they did not say the could not make a Dreadfleet DLC but they were making a Vampire Coast DLC and felt if they added another it would just be a Dreadfleet DLC. Maybe that wanted to keep the theme of Vampire Coast and undead but to many of the other Dreadfleet and it might not be truly warranted to be built around undead or they'd have to pay more. But they never said can't, they said they didn't want to do that.

Which is the point here. It's quite rare for businesses to tell their customers all the truth. That's the reason corporate speech is a thing.
  • JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,250
    Aranessa is my favorite Vampire Coast character but she is basically unplayable without mods.
  • Wood_Sprite#1284Wood_Sprite#1284 Registered Users Posts: 271
    Ah, Aranessa. I liked her and her human pirates.
    My optimistic predictions:

RoC map will get expanded.
    Ind and Khuresh will get added to the game.
    CA will support the game for more than 5 years.

VOTE FOR MORE TREES ON CAMPAIGN MAP
    - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/320355/more-foliage-models-for-the-campaign-map
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 11,250
    The character they ruined her roster, in the faction with that fabricated joke of an LL?

Yeah, I remember.

In fact that's probably the worst campaign pack ever. 2 LLs, probably no update.
    Kneel

• saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 18,941
    well at the very least cylostra seems to be high up getting more lore from rpgs

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• pblllrrpblllrr Registered Users Posts: 287
    I like her character but refuse to play her with undead units.
  • Nihil515Nihil515 Registered Users Posts: 222
    Save Aranessa. Create a no Undead Pirate faction and move her there.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,206
    Vampire Coast was really the worst and most out of left field possible DLC they could have done.

Everyone: "OMG we're going to see Araby for the first time! EPIC!"

CA: "Hey, let's add Pirates of the not-Caribbean, but vampires instead of zombies! What an awesome twist!"
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 18,941
    Itharus said:

Vampire Coast was really the worst and most out of left field possible DLC they could have done.

CA: "Hey, let's add Pirates of the not-Caribbean, but vampires instead of zombies! What an awesome twist!"

Lack of camal is disappointing though

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,526
    saweendra said:

well at the very least cylostra seems to be high up getting more lore from rpgs

Yeah, it’s hard, but I rp her with humans.
    Nihil515 said:

Save Aranessa. Create a no Undead Pirate faction and move her there.

Yes please.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
    Itharus said:

Well this isn't proper memory at all.

Everyone: "Who could be the next DLC? Araby, Dogs of War, Vampire Coast, Amazons, Albion, some of us whackadoos are even arguing for Kislev in game 2. There is no consensus, and there are people who are saying Vampire Coast, lets personally attack them, tell them they're stupid, and how this can't happen while ignoring those who say they wouldn't mind that."

CA: "Hey, lets add a minor race with figures from the actual game that Araby doesn't even actually have in TT they're on Warmaster. We know pirates and zombie sell, and just like those people on the forum say there are plenty of viable units for. Some of us would still like Araby."

Sane People: "Okay yeah, sure, it was a possible one of the minors. I like/don't like it but it was possible, but I don't make a fuss about not liking Greenskins either right because some people like it?"

Haters: "Why did they use a popular trope from within the game? Screw everyone, this stuff was always bad. Look it was badly received, just going to ignore the fact it sells well and gets play."

Irrational Araby fans:: "I will blame Vampire Coast for not getting Araby, which is probably the actual reason and I will just ignore that zombie pirate fans who are now happy. And make a bunch of sigh worthy threads about it rather than constructive continual wishes that they make Araby."
  • BloodydaggerBloodydagger Registered Users Posts: 4,595
    Thanks. I forgot all about her.
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 15,602
    I certainly remember one of my biggest disappointment of the trilogy yes. Aranessa was one of my wanted character despite being so minor and obscure, I'm glad we got the chance to have her but what CA did to her is a travesty.

• BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 1,571
    If CA makes a southern realm DLC, I hope Aranessa joins them. (though this is probably not going to happen)
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    Would be curious to know with what the people clicking on "disagree" are actually disagreeing with, as nobody is discussing the point of the thread.
  • b_tookb_took Registered Users Posts: 379
    Oh. The false dichotomy between profit and art, the assumption that CA's lying as opposed to their stated reasons, and the fact that both of those are based on an unproven assertion ("probably" meant that GW would have asked for money).
  • destroyer67115destroyer67115 Registered Users Posts: 1,357
    Xenos777 said:

Would be curious to know with what the people clicking on "disagree" are actually disagreeing with, as nobody is discussing the point of the thread.

I dunno.. but I disagree now cuz you asked. 🥸
  • MakuhicoMakuhico Registered Users Posts: 411
    Some people here thinking they will move Aranesa are just setting themselves up for another Sigval situation.

They will never ever ever ever move DLC characters.

• #28957#28957 Registered Users Posts: 2,641
    Xenos777 said:

At the time, CA told us they couldn't make that a Dreadfleet DLC, which probably meant that GW would have asked more money for an additional license. So they had to make up a character and add a completely unrelated one to fill the pack.

I honestly really doubt this has to do anything for Dreadfleet license, does Warhammer IP licence not cover Dreadfleet? However, on the other hand, knowing that GW loves to do bizzare and idiotic things, like striking non-profit Warhammer creators, everything is possible...

In my opinion they only chose Aranessa because she is a very cool character in terms of design. You don't have many Norscan mutant mermaids in Warhammer. But in my vision of perfect Warhammer, 4th LL of VCoast DLC should have been Scretch the Half-Dead with his hybrid roster of certain Skaven units (Warp Lightning Cannons, dual-wielding Skaven Corsairs, etc) and Aranessa should have been saved for Southern Realms DLC (so all 4 Southern Realms could get a LL representing each other).
    Now I am known as "numbers".
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 10,096
    Xenos777 said:

Do you remember when Aranessa was revealed as a part of the Vampire Coast DLC? It made very little sense, even less than marked characters not being part of their god's race. At the time, CA told us they couldn't make that a Dreadfleet DLC, which probably meant that GW would have asked more money for an additional license. So they had to make up a character and add a completely unrelated one to fill the pack.

The bottom line is: some decisions aren't driven by gameplay or lore reasons, but by economical-logistical ones. And that's probably the case with this Chaos DLC. But obviously they couldn't tell us the naked truth. A shame, but in the end this is a for-profit endeavor, not an artistic one.

Dude... your entire premise is half baked. CA said they could only include 2 Dreadfleet Characters, and Aranessa didn't get shoehorned in because they already decided on 2 other ones... because Aranessa IS a Dreadfleet Character.

The 2 Dread Fleet Characters where ARANESSA and Count Notilus. Luthor Harkon was never a part of Dread Fleet.

So no Aranessa's inclusion has nothing to due with the limitation imposed by Dreadfleet, if anything it's all the stranger because of it. I mean... why include a Grand Alliance character from Dreadfleet in a Vampire Coast DLC, why not Include a Vampire or other Undead baddie... hell even the Tomb King Character made more sense.
    Makuhico said:

Some people here thinking they will move Aranesa are just setting themselves up for another Sigval situation.

They will never ever ever ever move DLC characters.

Nope CA makes bad decisions and takes follows through with them to the bitter end.
    Nyxilis said:

Cylosta isn't bad to play... she's just got a terribly though out back story.
    OdTengri said:

Nyxilis said:

Well, truth be told at the time of her reveal I was more sour that they'd went with Arenessa shoehorned into Vampire Coast, and an original character over two that already existed and are in my opinion cool. Skretch with a set of zombie Skaven as a RoR or maybe one warp lightning cannon covered in barnacles and seaweed.

In that, I've warmed to Cylostra a lot more and only more soured on Arennessa.
    Nyxilis said:

OdTengri said:

Nyxilis said:

Well, truth be told at the time of her reveal I was more sour that they'd went with Arenessa shoehorned into Vampire Coast, and an original character over two that already existed and are in my opinion cool. Skretch with a set of zombie Skaven as a RoR or maybe one warp lightning cannon covered in barnacles and seaweed.

Yeah.... I just ignore Cylostra's absurd backstory and enjoy playing her in the moment.

Arannessa.... I just hate her more and more... both for the missed potential of putting her in some other faction like the DoW and even more so for her stupid inclusion as a leader of the undead. It's like putting Balthazar Ghelt in the Vampire Counts.
  • doclumbago#6250doclumbago#6250 Registered Users Posts: 2,509
    apart from aesthetics/lore:

Aranessa does really not match with her army. all the other Lords can duke
    it out in a blob of monsters and Zombies and can get monstrous mounts
    to increase their HP, and can get Nehek to heal on top

She is a nimble SEM/Hit and run character in a painfully slow faction.
    You can get her a crab but that just makes her more of a missile sponge.

Her human roster does nothing that can not be done with Dogs and Zombie Gunners.

Maybe a Sartosan unit pack could be crammed into a DoW DLC ?

Oh btw I really warmed up to Cylostra Direfin.
  • #28957#28957 Registered Users Posts: 2,641
    OdTengri said:

Nyxilis said:

OdTengri said:

Nyxilis said:

Yeah.... I just ignore Cylostra's absurd backstory and enjoy playing her in the moment.

Arannessa.... I just hate her more and more... both for the missed potential of putting her in some other faction like the DoW and even more so for her stupid inclusion as a leader of the undead. It's like putting Balthazar Ghelt in the Vampire Counts.
    I agree completely. With time I've become more and more fond of Cylostra despite her poor writing and hate Aranessa more and more. I did have a good campaign with her using mods though.
    Now I am known as "numbers".
  • JerroserJerroser Registered Users Posts: 793
    OdTengri said:

Xenos777 said:

Dude... your entire premise is half baked. CA said they could only include 2 Dreadfleet Characters, and Aranessa didn't get shoehorned in because they already decided on 2 other ones... because Aranessa IS a Dreadfleet Character.

The 2 Dread Fleet Characters where ARANESSA and Count Notilus. Luthor Harkon was never a part of Dread Fleet.

So no Aranessa's inclusion has nothing to due with the limitation imposed by Dreadfleet, if anything it's all the stranger because of it. I mean... why include a Grand Alliance character from Dreadfleet in a Vampire Coast DLC, why not Include a Vampire or other Undead baddie... hell even the Tomb King Character made more sense.
    Not to mention there are other elements of taken from Dreadfleet that are worked in to the DLC as well. So its very clear that GW had not issues with them drawing from it to create the pack.

If anything, the reasoning might even then have been down to "making the lords each feel different" with some strange internal reason that wouldn't make sense to anyone outside the company Vangheist couldn't fill the role of the ghost LL and Aranessa was the most notable other pirate character that they felt could be used, lacking of being a vampire not withstanding.