Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Consensus Thread #2: Should CA tone down a bit the colorfulness of the WH3 campaign map?

IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,740
You know, the old debate.

Warcraft 3 vs Warhammer 1 colors debate.

Wh2 got a bit of backlash due to their lightning and some colorful parts. WH3 overall got a backlash for it being too colorful, "gamey", or "warcrafty 3".

Remember this is not about how "good are the graphics" or a comparison of technologies, it is just about the color palette, the overall saturation, everything about color.

This is only about the campaign map.

Vote cause CA wants this feedback so they can make a decision.
*Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
*Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
*Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
*Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
*Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
*Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
*Improve UI

Consensus Thread #2: Should CA tone down a bit the colorfulness of the WH3 campaign map? 155 votes

Yes, bring back grimdark or get us closer
41%
Pr4vda#6038bli-nk#6314SirEyeballMaedrethnirNitros14#7973Brynjolfr#8751Mr_Finley7#4571mewade44#6520Coldone666#8229TennisgolfbollStoreslemTyrant#1234lcmiracleFridolin#6124Kabulk#6557RikRiorik#9890MeGa_N00B#2436Mkeefe78Veldrinar#2882Aexrael#6757 65 votes
No, I like it more now.
58%
davedave1124#4773Darmock#1554Slugus#5078Steph_F_DavidLaindeshNarveidSerkelet#1834Valkaar#2507SusaVile#9835gholinBayes#3307talonn#7575AxiosXiphosRonNLboombaskIceDArchimonde#3681kasap43Hondlis#2158Barnak#8188 90 votes

Comments

• mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 10,801
    No, I like it more now.
    CA isn't going to change the entire art style of the game, it's nowhere near the same as adding 2D art for flavour, this discussion is pointless.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 15,602
    I like the darker lighting from Warhammer 1 but I honestly don't care if CA leaves it as is.

• VenefcusVenefcus Registered Users Posts: 264
    No, I like it more now.
    I dunno, it's not that I like it more now (options are limited), it's just that at this particular time, I don't think it's worth it. Plus I don't mind the new aesthetic at all.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,740

CA isn't going to change the entire art style of the game, it's nowhere near the same as adding 2D art for flavour, this discussion is pointless.

art style? do you even know what that means? nobody is asking to change the art style.
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

• mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 10,801
    No, I like it more now.

art style? do you even know what that means? nobody is asking to change the art style.
    You know that the art style of a game isn't just the 2D assets, right?

Ligthing, 3D assets, color palette, shadows, textures...

All of this and more are part of the art style of a game, if CA were to simply change any of them it would stick like shore thumb, because the game has been built around a concrete art style.

So no, CA isn't changing anything in that regard.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • whatabs#4509whatabs#4509 Registered Users Posts: 214
    Yes. Tone down the saturation. They don't have to change necessarily art style. Just ad textures to Trees and Mountains and Ground. That's it. Lower saturation and ad textures to those objects.
  • HowTheStarsBurnHowTheStarsBurn Registered Users Posts: 752
    No, I like it more now.
    Color does not operate in a vacuum. You can't just mess with the color without changing a host of other things that will look improper because of it.
  • Valkaar#2507Valkaar#2507 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,555
    No, I like it more now.
    The textures on the trees bother me a slight amount.

I also don't like how Vampiric Corruption looks now. I preferred the older games on that point.

But the overall colors I actually like in Game 3. Cathay looks awesome in particular! The new lighting system looks great, particularly on water and metal. And I like all the new doodads on the map like the Maw and idling Longmas and such.

Overall, I am pleased with the new art style. Both in terms colors and extra detailing. I have some gripes, but not enough where I want it wound back to Game 1 visuals.
  • Walkabout#1505Walkabout#1505 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,883
    No, I like it more now.
    I don’t care about the awH3 mini-map but in IE I really hope we get both the grim dark of the old world with the magical colour of the east. Basically I like seeing my army march through different biomes.

Even better I hope that with Vampire Counts my corruption will also affect the lighting and increase fog representing the cloudy dark world that vamps love.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • talonn#7575talonn#7575 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,826
    No, I like it more now.
    Walkabout said:

I don’t care about the awH3 mini-map but in IE I really hope we get both the grim dark of the old world with the magical colour of the east. Basically I like seeing my army march through different biomes.

Even better I hope that with Vampire Counts my corruption will also affect the lighting and increase fog representing the cloudy dark world that vamps love.

Agree with this
  • Bayes#3307Bayes#3307 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,987
    No, I like it more now.
    I really did not like the lighting in tww2 but I really like it in tww3. The campaign map is so much better now.
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,375
    Valkaar said:

I also don't like how Vampiric Corruption looks now. I preferred the older games on that point.

But the overall colors I actually like in Game 3. Cathay looks awesome in particular! The new lighting system looks great, particularly on water and metal. And I like all the new doodads on the map like the Maw and idling Longmas and such.

Overall, I am pleased with the new art style. Both in terms colors and extra detailing. I have some gripes, but not enough where I want it wound back to Game 1 visuals.

Idling local fauna isnt new, it’s been in since game 1. The Great Maw has nothing to do with the new style either, it wasn’t something they would have skipped with the old look
  • overtaker40#8926overtaker40#8926 Registered Users Posts: 1,098
    I don't mind either way really.
    I like all the races. Equally. Wood elves are just the first among equals.
  • Red_MenousseRed_Menousse Registered Users Posts: 178
    edited August 2
    The real question here is why did they change the tone if the map to be less dark but at the same time make all the ui black and red?

I feel like no one actually played the game before release. how do you get it in your head that BLACK AND RED EVERYTHING is good for readability?
  • ArneSo#7705ArneSo#7705 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,069
    No, I like it more now.
    The WH3 map is way superior to the pixelated diarrhoea that is the WH2 map.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,480
    No, I like it more now.
    I like it when the colours really pop
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 3,055
    No, I like it more now.
    Ideally I would have voted not bothered either way as it's fine and previous maps were fine.
  • Wood_Sprite#1284Wood_Sprite#1284 Registered Users Posts: 271
    No, I like it more now.
    I think the new style really shows the contrast between different parts of the world. Empire is dark and rain while Cathay is bright and sunny.

Pretty sure Darklands will be polluted once Chorfs come out. It will look great.
    My optimistic predictions:

RoC map will get expanded.
    Ind and Khuresh will get added to the game.
    CA will support the game for more than 5 years.

VOTE FOR MORE TREES ON CAMPAIGN MAP
    - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/320355/more-foliage-models-for-the-campaign-map
  • ArneSo#7705ArneSo#7705 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,069
    No, I like it more now.

I think the new style really shows the contrast between different parts of the world. Empire is dark and rain while Cathay is bright and sunny.

Pretty sure Darklands will be polluted once Chorfs come out. It will look great.

This.

Really excited to see how Ulthuan will look like.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Docpain222Docpain222 WI, USRegistered Users Posts: 437
    No, I like it more now.
    I think areas of the map should have different colors. I like the corruption factor that changes regions and i like the fell of Grand Cathay. But on the same note I like the feel of the vampire areas and the northern wastes should be dark and gloomy. It adds character to the different areas IMO
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 11,365
    edited August 2
    Grimdark isn't supposed to be literal, unless a region is subjected to vampiric corruption or something else that actually darkens it. Tzeentch in particular is a big fan of colour.
  • Valkaar#2507Valkaar#2507 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,555
    No, I like it more now.

Valkaar said:

Idling local fauna isnt new, it’s been in since game 1. The Great Maw has nothing to do with the new style either, it wasn’t something they would have skipped with the old look
    It isn't new. But Game 3 made it more prominent and more frequent on the map. The Game 3 map absolutely feels more 'lively' to me than Game 1.

Color, lightning, and increased doodads are all a part of that.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,955
    If it is possible, then sure. Game1 gives a sense of the world on the brink of collapse.
  • K3KevilinioK3Kevilinio Registered Users Posts: 502
    I haven't seen the Immortal Empires Map and thats the only map which is important for me. So i can say it when i can see the immortal empires map in game.
  • SusaVile#9835SusaVile#9835 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,419
    No, I like it more now.
    I would add a suggestion:

Gamma correction and contrast/brightness sliders.

These do a lot to change the flavor if you know how to set those up.

Unsure though how easy or difficult that is to do.
    Always learning, be polite, unless he's the enemy:P
    Cheers
    SusaVile
    Total war youtuber
  • Nazjax#2857Nazjax#2857 Registered Users Posts: 2,522
    I don't dislike the new design but I understand why people prefer warhammer 1-2 design.

I think overhaul the design of game 3 is good with the exception of trees who could be improved. They miss some unique design, especially in chaos wastes.

Nurgle just have Cathay trees... Tzeentch/Slaanesh/Khorne normal pine tree recoloured blue/red/purple.

Where are the gallow trees ?

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,951
    whatabs said:

Yes. Tone down the saturation. They don't have to change necessarily art style. Just ad textures to Trees and Mountains and Ground. That's it. Lower saturation and ad textures to those objects.

Yes
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • IndefatigableIndefatigable Registered Users Posts: 475

Vote cause CA wants this feedback so they can make a decision.

How about you **** off with your stupid polls?
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,286
    edited August 2
    No, I like it more now.
    CA aren't going to change this one whatsoever. Troy and 3K also went closer to this route as a more stylised art direction on the campaign maps.

Fair enough if you don't like it then that's fine but it's getting a bit wild that people think CA should change huge parts of the game just to suit a few folks on a forum poll.
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,375
    Valkaar said:

Valkaar said:

It isn't new. But Game 3 made it more prominent and more frequent on the map. The Game 3 map absolutely feels more 'lively' to me than Game 1.

Color, lightning, and increased doodads are all a part of that.
    Lol no it didn’t.