Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Volkmar's new mechanics

Kn_Gars#2718Kn_Gars#2718 Registered Users Posts: 3,275
Turin is streaming a Volkmar campaign and that allowed me to grab some screenshots of Volkmar's new mechanics-

The first mechanic is the Books of Nagash, this is a slightly reworked version of the Tomb King mechanic. As before you have to either defeat an army or occupy a settlement to gain control of a book. Each book provides it's own unique reward when Volkmar seals it as well as one point of Zeal.

Each point of Zeal you gain will unlock a stage on the Zeal meter on top of the screen

Each stage reached gives you access to one of the Empire Runefangs and also unlocks the recruitment of some of the Elector Count State Troop units. You also get increasingly reduced upkeep for those units. The last 3 stages also provides all of your characters with an increasing amount of Ward save. (5% to 15%)

The books of Nagash are not part of Volkmar's victory conditions, probably because the AI does not interact with them. As a result the hunt for the books of Nagash is not an organic part of Volkmar, it is something you do to stack more buffs.

Personally I find Volkmars new mechanics disapointing, Volkmar is a DLC lord yet his mechanics are not up to the standard set by WH2 FLC lords. (Which I think should be the minimum expected standard.) Clearly Volkmar's mechanics were only allocated a minimal budget and this forced the devs to make two barebones mechanics. (We all know that the DLC team can produce much better content.) Seeing the mechanics killed much of my interest in playing a Volkmar campaign even though he was my number 2 choice for an IE campaign after Valkia.

The user formerly known as KN_Gars, thanks for the involunatry rename CA.

Comments

• LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,218
    Kinda what I expected, still looking to play as the angry Sigmarite Librarian. Really the Grim and the Grave's not-sure-where-we-can-goitis first DLC was never going to be fully remedied to bring it up to snuff with the later ones where CA was more outgoing.
    It's a beta.
  • Kn_Gars#2718Kn_Gars#2718 Registered Users Posts: 3,275

Kinda what I expected, still looking to play as the angry Sigmarite Librarian. Really the Grim and the Grave's not-sure-where-we-can-goitis first DLC was never going to be fully remedied to bring it up to snuff with the later ones where CA was more outgoing.

The Books of Nagash mechanic is pretty much what I expected based on how CA described it but I did expect a bit more from the Zeal mechanic. You are quite correct about G&G never catching up to newer content, I think the devs would not mind the work but management is never going to give them the necessary budget.
  • D4nz0N1nj4Wr1t3r#6847D4nz0N1nj4Wr1t3r#6847 Registered Users Posts: 188
    Well, it's a beta, IE is. Of course some parts are bare bones...and not just Tomb King presence either
  • General_Hijalti#1213General_Hijalti#1213 Registered Users Posts: 5,421
    KN_Gars said:

Turin is streaming a Volkmar campaign and that allowed me to grab some screenshots of Volkmar's new mechanics-

The first mechanic is the Books of Nagash, this is a slightly reworked version of the Tomb King mechanic. As before you have to either defeat an army or occupy a settlement to gain control of a book. Each book provides it's own unique reward when Volkmar seals it as well as one point of Zeal.

Each point of Zeal you gain will unlock a stage on the Zeal meter on top of the screen

Each stage reached gives you access to one of the Empire Runefangs and also unlocks the recruitment of some of the Elector Count State Troop units. You also get increasingly reduced upkeep for those units. The last 3 stages also provides all of your characters with an increasing amount of Ward save. (5% to 15%)

The books of Nagash are not part of Volkmar's victory conditions, probably because the AI does not interact with them. As a result the hunt for the books of Nagash is not an organic part of Volkmar, it is something you do to stack more buffs.

Personally I find Volkmars new mechanics disapointing, Volkmar is a DLC lord yet his mechanics are not up to the standard set by WH2 FLC lords. (Which I think should be the minimum expected standard.) Clearly Volkmar's mechanics were only allocated a minimal budget and this forced the devs to make two barebones mechanics. (We all know that the DLC team can produce much better content.) Seeing the mechanics killed much of my interest in playing a Volkmar campaign even though he was my number 2 choice for an IE campaign after Valkia.

So you are saying volkmars mechanics are worse then alith anar, or tretch, or repanse, or Tic'Taq'To, or gor'rok, or drycha.

No
  • Krabbz#7495Krabbz#7495 FranceRegistered Users Posts: 591
    Still an improvement.

KN_Gars said:

So you are saying volkmars mechanics are worse then alith anar, or tretch, or repanse, or Tic'Taq'To, or gor'rok, or drycha.

No
    None those have set a standard for mechanics, other than Drycha they are also from 2019 and older.
  • MonerisMoneris Registered Users Posts: 351
    We went from Zero mechanics to this, so I can't really bring myself to complain when its basically a free improvement over the original DLC.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,651
    Moneris said:

We went from Zero mechanics to this, so I can't really bring myself to complain when its basically a free improvement over the original DLC.

I think we're lucky we got this. They're trying to get IE out, get the DLC out, get blood pack out, WoC rework, norsca minor rework, and a countless other smaller projects like this.

I actually hope this is a sign that armies and things we be more touched upon in the future even if I'm remaining reserved.
  • Krunch#7448Krunch#7448 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,481
    I don't mind that it's not tied to campaign victory. I did not expec them to give him a final battle or anything like that. His real "objective" is to simply purge the undead of the Southlands which is thematic enough IMO.
    Nyxilis said:

Moneris said:

I think we're lucky we got this. They're trying to get IE out, get the DLC out, get blood pack out, WoC rework, norsca minor rework, and a countless other smaller projects like this.

I actually hope this is a sign that armies and things we be more touched upon in the future even if I'm remaining reserved.
    Perhaps we were lucky but I can't help but feel frustrated by the lost potential, particularly when Volkmar was neglected for so long during WH2 and he only got a proper skill tree in the last DLC update.

If the DLC team did spread themselves and their budget thin trying to do everything at the same time it would perhaps have been better to delay some parts so manpower and resources could be focused on the remaining content. But I sort of understand why they tried to get everything done at once and there is no guarantee that the delayed parts would have gotten more resources later on.

Moneris said:

It is a free update for those of us that already own the DLC but for new players CA still charges almost full price for the DLC (8.99 vs 9.99 for WH2 LPs) even though it has less content than current DLC. The quality of the content is important, Forge of Daith is a good example of this. Unlike the Champions DLC there is no quantity vs quality aspect.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,227
    It's campaign objective turned into mechanics. It is something, but not DLC-worth something.

Question: Gelt too will get new mechanics, yes?
    KN_Gars said:

KN_Gars said:

No
    None those have set a standard for mechanics, other than Drycha they are also from 2019 and older.
    So how is volkmars mechanics bad.

The only flc with better mechanics is Thorek
  • eomat#7953eomat#7953 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,899
    This is all the more why Volkmar should not have been moved. We should have had another Empire LL with new mechanics at some point instead.

I would have preferred Volkmar stay with Karl Franz and when Toddy comes having Emil Valgeir the Ar-Ulric with Toddy. That would allow for more Empire LL's in other locations.
  • NoSkill4U#6552NoSkill4U#6552 Registered Users Posts: 5,156
    Moneris said:

Yeah, and he wasn t even the focus of the rework. (like WoC ).

Remember that this was mainly about a new starting position.

But yeah, there is definitly something left to be desired....
  • overtaker40#8926overtaker40#8926 Registered Users Posts: 1,144
    You likely bought his dlc before 2018. Regardless it's an old did that people were happy with at the time. The scope of this game has grown.

We should honestly be stoked they gave him new mechanics at all.

Honestly I wish he had some sort of penalty system, as my only concern is he will be slightly op.
    I like all the races. Equally. Wood elves are just the first among equals.
    eomat said:

This is all the more why Volkmar should not have been moved. We should have had another Empire LL with new mechanics at some point instead.

I would have preferred Volkmar stay with Karl Franz and when Toddy comes having Emil Valgeir the Ar-Ulric with Toddy. That would allow for more Empire LL's in other locations.

So you want him to have no mechanics over some.
    Why
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,651
    KN_Gars said:

Nyxilis said:

Moneris said:

Perhaps we were lucky but I can't help but feel frustrated by the lost potential, particularly when Volkmar was neglected for so long during WH2 and he only got a proper skill tree in the last DLC update.

If the DLC team did spread themselves and their budget thin trying to do everything at the same time it would perhaps have been better to delay some parts so manpower and resources could be focused on the remaining content. But I sort of understand why they tried to get everything done at once and there is no guarantee that the delayed parts would have gotten more resources later on.

Think of it this way, can you name even one patch prior that was this big? Can anyone? The answer is bluntly, no.

IE
    Blood Pack
    The DLC
    FLC that is the style of alongside a DLC
    Complete Warrios of Chaos rework.
    Minor rework Norsca as a whole.
    Many faction touch ups well beyond simply the Vampire Counts
    New locations for a nice chunk of LLs.
    IE is in of itself pretty darn big.
    Volkmar wasn't the only one to get his own faction and now not the only one not needing something for themself.
    Unit rebalance for game 3 across every game 1 and 2 race and/or faction.

And lets look at what a delay would have been for Volkmar.... nothing. It would have been him moved, as every lord was going to move here no matter what, but with no mechanics at all? This would be better than nothing at all?

He's still quite better than anything he's been before. And while he was DLC he's not effectively a FLC worth of revamp.

And them delaying doesn't mean he would have gotten more chonky. He's still be competing with any DLC lord, any FLC, and other rebalances and things. Just like the next patch will definitely be competing with IE vs everything else.

To which IE is supremely important. IE will make or break this trilogy, not Volkmar even if him getting mechanics is something I desired. And they have also talked about several other races they'd like to go do reworks or heavy touch ups on. Norsca & Lizardmen for example.

But it could have been some massive amount of time before they went to Volkmar on some solo level. He's getting something now just because he absolutely needed something as a new solo faction that could not wait 2 years till they decided to give the Empire factions a pass over again.