Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Proposed Race Expansion #4: The Beastmen; The Children of Chaos

Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,205
Here's the next entry for a proposed 4 LL pack to bring a race up to completion. Covering the beastmen today, with the four remaining characters that are currently alive in the setting. Sorry Gorthor fans, the fella is the Magnus the Pious of the BM and his role has been taken by Khazrak as the 'default' and chariot lord for their kind, so I've decided to omit him. To note, three of these characters each have clear influences by one of the dark gods, just as Taurox is influenced by Khorne, so perhaps each could receive campaign mechanics that thematically fit with that, though I'm not suggesting a straight port of monogod mechanics like the Champions of Chaos are getting, rather something unique for each. Also to keep in mind, being beastmen, the can go almost anywhere on the map, so I'll be suggesting some places that I think would work for the characters' lore as well as spicing up the map. The name for this hypothetical LP is "The Children of Chaos".

New LLs:

Ghorros Warhoof; Sire of a Thousand Young.

Our missing centigor character for the beastmen and the de facto cavalry lord. Ghorros Warhoof is an incredibly ancient and debauched character, claiming to be the father of the entire centigor race, as well as innumerable other half-breed horrors that creep across the world. Ghorros would bring a campaign focused around cavalry, speed and have bonuses to both leadership, vigor, horde growth and replenishment. For a potential starting position, for both the RoC and IE maps, I suggest somewhere near the Eastern Steppes or the Path to the East. "Centaurs" are said to roam that area in high numbers and the Steppe climate are fitting for cavalry factions, particularly if we're ever to see the Hobgoblin Khanate someday.

Moonclaw; Son of Morrslieb.

(An incomplete kitbash that someone was working on for him.)
Also known as the 'Lunatic Prince' or the 'Child of the Gravid Orb', Mooclaw is like nothing the world has ever seen. He came to this world from a comet of pure warpstone, hatching from it like an egg after it impacted the earth. At first glance he appears to be an ordinary gor, but with every movement he leaves ghostly after images of himself that echo erratically, and strange green-black flames dance upon his form. His actions are seemingly random as he speaks in backwards gibberish. What is known about him is that he is hellbent on the destruction of every elven waystone that he can find, in order to empower Chaos in the world, his own power waxing and waning with the Chaos moon. He rides upon a creature as equally alien as himself, the strange two headed beast known as Umbralok. Moonclaw is a caster, with a hybrid spell selection of the Lore of the Wild and Shadows respectively, he also in battle is capable of unleashing waves of insanity upon the foe. Compared to Morghur who is chaos incarnate, Moonclaw has a rather Tzeentchian twist, with his focus on magic, unpredictability and insanity in combat. For the Immortal Empires map at least, I think the Southern Wastes would suit him perfectly, in the Daemonium hills at the opposite end of the continent from Oxyotl with the Southlands in easy reach to invade.

Molokh Slugtongue; the Famine-Fiend.

(A rather well done kitbash that has been floating around on the web.)
The Barren One, Lord of the Black Harvest. While the beastmen as a whole represent the savagery and lawlessness of nature, red in tooth and claw, Slugtongue represents entropy and all of the myriad ways that nature can kill you. He is a foul and frightening being, an emaciated bray-shaman of matted, moss-ridden white fur, in place of a head, is leering fleshless but rotten skull of twisted horns and empty eye sockets. He is riddled with teeming vermin, worms, beetles, centipedes, lice, slugs and more forms of life that inhabit his corpse like visage. He is covered in frost and icicles of horrid fluid as with him comes an aura of chilling cold, as the lethal threat of exposure to the elements follows in his wake, sapping the life out of whatever is near him. Slugtongue is notorious for spreading plagues of locusts or maggots, rotting entire crops at harvest, turning pure springs to sickly sludge, and bringing chill and famine out of season wherever he goes, condemning those in civilization with no choice but to meet his warherd in battle in desperate bid to survive. As a bray-shaman Slugtongue has a mixed lore of Wilds and Death magic, and excells at sapping the strength and life out of his enemies, I would not be surprised if he were to act as a Mortis Engine in combat, while dealing heavy attrition and growth negatives to enemies on the campaign map. As for a campaign start, I'd suggest one of the central provinces of Cathay, the region is currently too pristine, and said provinces are the breadbasket of the entire empire, the perfect place for the Famine-Fiend to strike.

Ungrol Four-Horn; the Spurned One.

(A simple kitbash, though as seen by the art, Ungrol is more visually distinctive.)
Ungrol Four-Horn, also known as Blackheart and the Hornsthief, is likely the most wretched of all beastmen. While he appears to be mutant ungor, he is actually a gave, a two headed human mutant that was abandoned to the wilds where he lived off of grubs until becoming strong enough to hunt and then joining with a beastmen tribe. This puts him even lower on the beastmen hierarchy than typical ungors. He was beaten and abused by his adopted tribe, being an ugly creature and having pitiful horns of his own. So after a drunken revelry he slew both the beastlord and bray-shaman, sawing off their horns and tying them to his own skulls. For this affront he was hunted down, but Ungrol is wickedly sly and elusive, while being a dirty fighter in combat. Over the years his reknown has grown and weaker beastmen, mutants and outcasts have flocked to him as a sort of Beastman equivalent of Robin Hood. He takes his unending bitterness out on any unfortunate enough to cross him, be they man or gor as he leads his own outcast band of monsters and the spurned. Campaign wise, Ungrol has a lot in common with both Helman Ghorst and Skarsnik or Grom; he has the capacity to take the weakest elements of beastmen society and turn them into a vicious force in their own right, fueled by hatred. Interestingly, his special item "The Stolen Crowns" grants him the ability to cast Wild magic, a seeming holdover from the strangled bray-shaman, so there is far more to Ungrol than meets the eye. On the map he has the capability of going nearly anywhere, as he's an outcast and has no home other than the dank tunnels he takes refuge in in the lore.

FLC LL: Boris Todbringer

Seriously, with Khazrak up in the Drakwald causing havoc and a further batch of beastmen to be added. It's high time for Toddy to have his day. He could potentially come alongside the Ar-Ulric when we get our eventual Cult of Ulric LP, but the Bringer of Tods also works alongside a BM pack.

New lord:
Centigor Lord

(A rather well done kitbash that I've seen online, the hooves are a nice touch as they imply that they are close genetically to Ghorros himself, whereas most centigors have talons instead.)
A lord for the centigors, and a mini Ghorros, something that's about as inevitable as the Doombull was alongside Taurox.

New hero:
Gorehoof
A hero tier cavalry/centigor character. Named after the regiment champion for the unit on TT.

New units:
I've tried to be thorough here, as there really isn't much of anything left to add from the BM army books, but there's quite a few lore only pieces, several good FW monsters, oldhammer models and the god aligned gors, which I'll point out right now, if included would also be available to each monogod roster for owners of this hypothetical DLC. Seems fair anyhow.

Khorngors

So I've included the second picture as the older portrayal of Khorne marked gors actually tended to give them dog like skulls to set them apart from the rest. GW may be returning to this portrayal as the recent Khorngor model that was released for Bloodbowl had a rather doggish face overall. Given that Tzaangors have beaks, I think this would be a great way to visually distinguish the Khorngors from standard Bestigors, as their miniatures aside from having Khorne iconography don't have much to visually differentiate them. Replace the standard goat horns with Bloodletter style horns and you've got a fittingly Khornate marked bestigor unit. I'd suggest that each of the god marked gors could be implemented somewhat like Aspiring Champions are, smaller squads of extremely elite infantry that act almost like monstrous infantry in stats.

Pestigors

These guys haven't gotten an updated model yet unlike the Tzaangors or Slaangors, but what they have looks awesome. They're basically a bestigor that's halfway become a Plaguebearer, complete with the bloating and the style of horns. Fantastic, cannot wait to see them animated in game.

Tzaangors

Bestigors, but Tzeentch. The new models for AoS are gorgeous and really go hard with the monogod aesthetic. I like how these guys have different weapons available so we could get a couple different variants out of them, such as sword and board and halberd. Additionally, they also come in squads that ride Disks of Tzeentch, which I didn't bother to include a picture of. Whether or not GW would be okay with including the disk riding version IDK. It might conflict to much with the BM overall.

Slaangors

The new Slaangor models. These guys are fairly large for what they are and really nasty overall. Glad we've got models of them as previously it was just really derpy oldhammer models or conversions. But yeah, gors, but Slaaneshi mutated.

Preyton

Now we come to the really cool stuff. Preytons are once noble great stags that have been captured and mutated by bray-shamans into these hideous bat-like creatures that range in size from that of a Manticore to a Wyvern. They know only pain and what they used to be, so they seek to spread terror and pain to everything else in their despair, fighting with a frenzy induced by pain and madness.

Cockatrice

A flying creature of Chaos that acording to the Monstrous Arcanum, has kinship with the beastmen. A hideous mix of serpent and vulture, these creatures may not be as physically strong as some other monsters, but they fight ferociously with poisonous beaks, the ability to spew acidic vomit in self defense (like many real life vultures) and most terrifyingly of all, can petrify beings with their gaze. A fast flying unit that has a ranged attack like Medusa, the acidic vomit of Throgg and with moderate health would be an interesting addition for the beastmen.

Ramhorn

(The big monster at the top just left of the ghorgon.)
These are mentioned in the army book, but never existed on the table top. Ramhorns are basically a larege elephantine equivalent of a tuskgor, with a profile almost resembling a gigantic tortoise. In the lore the beastmen use them as living siege engines to bash open gates and walls, they are that powerful. Certain beastmen tribes also sometimes utilize them for locomotion as well. Regardless, a mammoth or stonehorn equivalent for the beastmen is quite flavorful, and something that never found it's way to TT sadly.

Beastfiends

These creatures are from the Archaeon novels. Beastfiends are a unique breed of beastmen from the Southern Wastes that are less beastmen and more beastdaemon. An unholy mixture of animal and daemonic being, they utilize tools purely of wood, stone, ice and frozen flesh in battle. As they had no prescence in the table top, if they were ever included, I could see them recruited through a high tier bray-shaman building as they're summoned directly from wastes, and functioning as a new type of five infantry, perhaps even as an undivided equivalent of the marked gors or even an alternative to Minotaurs. Additionally, they are said to ride into battle on chaos tainted relatives of the rhinoxen, so a cavalry version would be pretty cool. Really there's several different ways they could be implemented, but they're just badass and I want them lol.

Jabberwocks

These things are from oldhammer and predate the Jabberslythe we have now. That said, they are rather different in design, though clearly related in setting. These things are MI sized and cannot fly despite having wings like the 'slythe, have poisonous attacks like their larger relatives, but instead of inducing insanity in those around them they have the regeneration special rule. An interesting MI choice that heals and inflicts poison for the BM.

Animated Hagtree

(The above is technically a picture of a living deadwood, a tree animated through arboreonecromancy, but it's also pretty much one-for-one what an animated Hagtree would look like in the setting so I'm using it. Now that I think about it, the Living Deadwood and Arboronecromancer would have been a good inclusion for the Vampire thread.)
So Hagtrees are another in lore only thing. There's an item for bray-shaman on the TT and in TW that traces from them, as well as a horde building the "Hag Tree Copse", but other wise they have no presence. In setting they are similar to Preytons in that they used to be normal trees, but are so thoroughly corrupted that they've become monsters of Chaos, where unfortunate victims are sacrificed to maws formed of broken bark and wooden splinters. Some of them, even more terrifyingly, can move, hence why I use the term 'animated'. Crawling across the ground like an octopus on land, reaching for victims to devour. These things are basically Old Man Willow from the Fellowship of the Ring, but 100x more bitter and wicked inside. They are NOT related to treemen or the other wood spirits, which are a natural thing. Hag trees are purely chaotic monsters. Personally I think it would be cool to see something with the tankiness and speed of a Rotting Leviathan but in the form of the most nightmarish Grimm's fairytale tree as a monster for the beastmen. Plus they suit the aesthetic and vibe of Slugtongue quite well and each LL has to have some unit that jives with them.

Anyway, I'm certain that there are other potential concepts for units that could have gone here, for example a more elite centigor unit, perhaps an Ungor lord for Ungrul exclusively (wouldn't make sense in any other faction really given how BM society works,) and I considedered including the Incarnate Elemental of Beasts, but there's controversy whether that is fitting more for the BM or WE so I decided to skip it. Anyhow, I hope this thread can spawn some discussion.

Next time:

Comments

• sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,002
    I do not agree with everything, but the majority of your suggestions are solid IMO. I'd love to see Preytons and marked Gors (or other beastmen subspecies), Gorthor and Four-Horn
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,641
    I like it but I would keep the marked Gors for Monogod LPs.

Also Toddy should be a TW Access Freebie alongside a proper Ulric themed LP.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,205
    sykall said:

I do not agree with everything, but the majority of your suggestions are solid IMO. I'd love to see Preytons and marked Gors (or other beastmen subspecies), Gorthor and Four-Horn

Yeah, there's a lot of lore only stuff in here, which I'm not happy with TBH. Mostly I see that as a result of the BM being the red-headed stepchild of Chaos according to GW, which as a fellow red-head I have to point out is totally unfair (lol). There are a lot of unaffiliated Chaos monsters in general that I could have added, the basilisk being a good example as is the Gigantic Chaos Spawn, but I felt that would be a cop-out and just included the Cockatrice only based on the alignment chart form the Monstrous Arcanum.
  • destroyer67115destroyer67115 Registered Users Posts: 1,357
    Lord choices are all pretty good.

Add mutants.

Remove the big gors for god dlc.

Add marked gor reskins.

I might even leave out the jabberwock since slythes replaced them.

I'd suspect the reskins for beastmen to be God specific would be pretty minor, especially if we get the God gors first.

Lord choices are all pretty good.

Add mutants.

Remove the big gors for god dlc.

Add marked gor reskins.

I might even leave out the jabberwock since slythes replaced them.

I'd suspect the reskins for beastmen to be God specific would be pretty minor, especially if we get the God gors first.

I have no idea why I forgot mutants. I even mentioned them in Ungrol's section. That said, there's a lot of potential, minor units that could be covered: higher tier centigors, hybrid ungor fighters, Bestigors with sword and shield, etc. Basically Chameleon Stalker or Silverin Guard style stuff, filler units, but it was too much to try and figure out every permutation possible this late at night lol.
  • pblllrr#9773pblllrr#9773 Registered Users Posts: 293
    Imagine adding Moonclaw or Slugtongue in a 4LL DLC that would absolutely not include any unique mechanics.
    pblllrr said:

Imagine adding Moonclaw or Slugtongue in a 4LL DLC that would absolutely not include any unique mechanics.

Did I say make a DLC with no unique mechanics??? Why is that inferred here, because the CoC DLC is utilizing shared mechanics? Why should the same be true here?
  • destroyer67115destroyer67115 Registered Users Posts: 1,357
    CoC uses shared mechanics because it works.

They still basically remade abuncha mechanics from the ground up. Like how the festus plagues work. And whole new tech trees etc. All with a massive woc rework.

Why would these get less effort then the whole WOC rework? Not like beastmen will need a rework like that.

CoC uses shared mechanics because it works.

They still basically remade abuncha mechanics from the ground up. Like how the festus plagues work. And whole new tech trees etc. All with a massive woc rework.

Why would these get less effort then the whole WOC rework? Not like beastmen will need a rework like that.

Precisely.

My goal with this series is a quality over quantity approach, so no 50 reskins. Just new units that would switch things up and unique mechanics for each LL. CoC is a special case.
  • DTAPPSNZ#5477DTAPPSNZ#5477 Registered Users Posts: 2,515
    edited August 20
    Looks cool but their is no way we’re getting that much stuff in a single DLC

BTW theirs a great Pestigor mod that’s pretty much CA quality.
  • SaintCorn#3148SaintCorn#3148 Registered Users Posts: 2,856
    I like a lot of the suggestions.

It feels like there's a God theme with the various Marked Gors, but the Legendary Lords don't entirely reflect it.
    Ghorros would lean towards Slaanesh.
    Moonclaw leans toward Tzeentch.
    Slugtongue is more Nurgle aligned.
    However, Ungrol is, quite fittingly for his character actually, the odd one out of the rest.

Ungrol doesn't really represent Khorne since he is way too underhanded.

So, instead of Ungrol, to keep the theme, I would change him to Ograx is a much more minor character, but he would be way more Khorne themed since he is literally a Khornate Beastfiend character.
    Likewise, he could focus on the Beastfiends and each one good get a marked unit for each God.
    They could even introduce Beastfiend cavalry which apparently ride on Chaos Corrupted Rhinoxen for each God as well.

• GoblinDoomStackGoblinDoomStack Registered Users Posts: 314
    ArneSo said:

They should be available to both monogods and beastmen so they’d work in either
  • JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,391
    A lot of really good ideas in here. I hope someone at CA is taking notes. For me highest priority is the mark gors and Centagor Lords.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,218
    It is a solid pack. I would like it very much.
  • damon40000#7640damon40000#7640 Registered Users Posts: 1,866
    they were in last dlc, straight to the end of the line they go
    BsFG dwarf
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 5,332
    Two units that could also be added:
    - Brays (the "no-horns"), the absolute bottom of the ladder, basically the Skavenslaves of Beastmen
    - Bovigors, basically gors with bull's heads, stronger than regular gors but weaker than minotaurs (something in between)
    Fossoway said:

Two units that could also be added:
    - Brays (the "no-horns"), the absolute bottom of the ladder, basically the Skavenslaves of Beastmen
    - Bovigors, basically gors with bull's heads, stronger than regular gors but weaker than minotaurs (something in between)

This is the second post showing me how many simple things I've forgotten. I've got to stop working on these late at night! With Brays and Mutants, we'd have units that would benefit the already expendable ungors, as the latter stalk and come equipped with Primal Fury while the former could be nothing but meatshields on the battle line. I'm all for Bovigors as well, they may even be a more reasonable unit to add in than Beastfiends, though both would be good.

they were in last dlc, straight to the end of the line they go

That's fair. There's no urgency to any of these DLC concepts, it's all an attempt to finish off races that have more missing characters than they do units which would make traditional LPs unviable. For example, say we got a BM DLC several years down the line like this. They'd be perfect and missing nothing and would never need touch ups again.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 11,394
    Wyvax said:

sykall said:

Yeah, there's a lot of lore only stuff in here, which I'm not happy with TBH. Mostly I see that as a result of the BM being the red-headed stepchild of Chaos according to GW, which as a fellow red-head I have to point out is totally unfair (lol). There are a lot of unaffiliated Chaos monsters in general that I could have added, the basilisk being a good example as is the Gigantic Chaos Spawn, but I felt that would be a cop-out and just included the Cockatrice only based on the alignment chart form the Monstrous Arcanum.
    Wouldn't be the first time that lore-only stuff has been introduced, and Beastmen kinda got a little left behind due to their last book being in 7th edition. Pretty much every race got something new in their 8E book, after all (and skaven had so much stuff added in various supplements that they had plenty anyway without an 8E book).

Gotta say, I really want that Ramhorn.

I suspect the oldhammer Jabberwock has been completely replaced by the Jabberslythe. One thing to keep in mind is that large monsters were typically on 40mm or 50mm square bases through most of Warhammer. There were a few exceptions, but they didn't really go to larger bases and models being the default for large monsters until 6th or 7th edition. So having the smaller model, base, and even rules doesn't preclude it from being basically the earlier version of the same thing. Mind you, something similar could be said regarding the Arcane Phoenix and the Flamespyre and we did get the Arcane Phoenix, so maybe that isn't entirely ruled out... but I think I would prefer to see anything else on the list over the Jabberwock.
  • Grba#3181Grba#3181 Registered Users Posts: 563
    So many interesting designs and choice's for Beastmen(shame that we can't have them all),I personally love the Molokh Slugtongue artwork the most,but Ghorros Warhoof is the best choice for the next Beastmen LL....

• Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,641

ArneSo said:

They should be available to both monogods and beastmen so they’d work in either
    Yes but Monogods need content for 2 LPs each.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,723
    Only a content denier would dislike the OPs post.
  • xBlood_Raven#5120xBlood_Raven#5120 Registered Users Posts: 965
    That's really close to what I would hope for the Beastmen as well. We already have Khorne through Taurox so Gorthor and Ungrol could take his place (I say Ungrol as Gorthor could be a Beastmen LH like Ariel is). To add to your list, there are Brays and Turnskins who would be chaff units (Turnskins are basically Mutants in a way) and would fit with Ungrol.

So what I would want fully is Gorthor as LH, Ungrol, Slugtongue (Nurgle), Ghorros (Slaanesh) and Moonclaw (Tzeentch). Marked units being added for each Beastman unit (Pestigors and the other three included) and the units you've mentioned so Beastfiends (Aspiring Champion unit is how I would implement them), Preyton, Ramhorn (nice to see others remember this unit) and maybe the Cockatrice. Not that interested in the hag-tree.

A Centigor Lord and Hero would be decent as new options too.
    Draxynnic said:

Wyvax said:

sykall said:

Wouldn't be the first time that lore-only stuff has been introduced, and Beastmen kinda got a little left behind due to their last book being in 7th edition. Pretty much every race got something new in their 8E book, after all (and skaven had so much stuff added in various supplements that they had plenty anyway without an 8E book).

Gotta say, I really want that Ramhorn.

I suspect the oldhammer Jabberwock has been completely replaced by the Jabberslythe. One thing to keep in mind is that large monsters were typically on 40mm or 50mm square bases through most of Warhammer. There were a few exceptions, but they didn't really go to larger bases and models being the default for large monsters until 6th or 7th edition. So having the smaller model, base, and even rules doesn't preclude it from being basically the earlier version of the same thing. Mind you, something similar could be said regarding the Arcane Phoenix and the Flamespyre and we did get the Arcane Phoenix, so maybe that isn't entirely ruled out... but I think I would prefer to see anything else on the list over the Jabberwock.
    Yeah I'm personally doubtful of the Jabberwock's inclusion myself given it seems to have been completely superceded in the lore, but trying to cover all the bases here since the model and ruleset were distinct enough from the modern Jabberslythe. Personally, I come at it from a zoologists mind set, I see a weird animal and then it's lesser known pygmy relative and I just nerd out over the fact it exists, lol. I thought it would fit alongside Moonclaw's madness theme and make the big 'slythe have something vaguely similar to it in the roster.

That's really close to what I would hope for the Beastmen as well. We already have Khorne through Taurox so Gorthor and Ungrol could take his place (I say Ungrol as Gorthor could be a Beastmen LH like Ariel is). To add to your list, there are Brays and Turnskins who would be chaff units (Turnskins are basically Mutants in a way) and would fit with Ungrol.

So what I would want fully is Gorthor as LH, Ungrol, Slugtongue (Nurgle), Ghorros (Slaanesh) and Moonclaw (Tzeentch). Marked units being added for each Beastman unit (Pestigors and the other three included) and the units you've mentioned so Beastfiends (Aspiring Champion unit is how I would implement them), Preyton, Ramhorn (nice to see others remember this unit) and maybe the Cockatrice. Not that interested in the hag-tree.

A Centigor Lord and Hero would be decent as new options too.

Yeah, a bunch of smaller things to fill in the cracks between the Charlemagnes are needed. Hag tree has like a 0.01 chance of ever being added into the game, as it's a mere lore blurb, I personally find the concept intriguing especially since it adds to the whole BM and WE rivalry by being the ultimate perversion of the forests.